McGovern contract details

Great. Backup C/G is pretty solid. I wouldn't even mind seeing CMG start over Laken if he is bad again this year. Jets should draft a C with pick 43 or third round or sign Ben Jones. That, plus an OT at 15 or 43 will give us more OL depth than we've ever had. Still not sure how good the unit would be (will ultimately depend a lot on Becton + rookie contributions) - but at least we could sustain an injury or two. 

• Sympathy 1

3 hours ago, Butterfield said:

Thats a great deal and doesn’t prevent them from drafting a center.  He must have had NO other options.  

This def jives with the rumors that there just wasn't a market for him.

Candidly I never thought he was very good but at that pricetag it makes all the sense in the world to bring him back.

8 minutes ago, Irish Jet said:

He got a small contract because he’s f*cking terrible. I like how people are pretending the interior of our line hasn’t been a debacle every year he’s been here.

The league is evidently more aware of his ability than the trash at PFF.

☝️ Irish Bit

• Haha 1

The Jets had nothing against McGovern, but early on the word was they were going in a different direction because they wanted to add a player with more of a nasty, "enforcer" mentality at C. 

This makes sense now. Jets have him under contract for pennies pre-draft; waiting until after the draft could've resulted in demand for him increasing due to increased demand. If the Jets don't land a C early in the draft they'll have him compete to start with Schweitzer and Colon. They could still consider signing Ben Jones as well. If they do land a C early the same applies- they'll have an open competition, and whoever loses out would likely get traded/cut. If McGovern were to stick he could still provide valuable depth as a backup C/G. 

Simply put: this does not change their draft strategy. If Tippmann is there at 43, still think he's the pick. 

• Upvote 4

Yup. NOT a long term solution by any means. so many on this board said once we signed McGovern that drafting a Center early was now off the table. 

I disagree. The Jets still need to draft a Center early. McGovern is a great depth signing, especially because he can move over to guard. And he may very well start. But I think if the Jets draft a C early, he is by no means guaranteed a starting spot and the two will compete, which is always a good thing. 

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, BurntDice said:

Signing starting centers at 2 mil, but yet people still want to draft one high smh 

From the beginning, this franchise has had an anchor planted at the center position, from John Schmitt for 10 seasons, including Superbowl III, Joe Fields for 12 years, Jim Sweeney (2d round pick #37) for 7 years, Kevin Mawae (Seattle 2d round pick #36) for 7 years, and then Nick Mangold, (1st round pick #29) for 11 years.  

Interestingly, the only years in which the jets were in playoffs were with one of these guys at center.  Ever since Nick retired, the Jets have had nothing but dogsh*t at the position and the results have been obvious.

Take a center in the 2nd round, like most of the guys above, that can anchor this line for a decade.  I'll be happy with any of the 4 Big Ten from Minnesota, Ohio St, Wisconsin, even Michigan.  Or get Scruggs from Penn St later.  I want a center for the Jet OL that will lead the team.. 

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 2

15 minutes ago, Dcat said:

From the beginning, this franchise has had an anchor planted at the center position, from John Schmitt for 10 seasons, including Superbowl III, Joe Fields for 12 years, Jim Sweeney (2d round pick #37) for 7 years, Kevin Mawae (Seattle 2d round pick #36) for 7 years, and then Nick Mangold, (1st round pick #29) for 11 years.  

Interestingly, the only years in which the jets were in playoffs were with one of these guys at center.  Ever since Nick retired, the Jets have had nothing but dogsh*t at the position and the results have been obvious.

Take a center in the 2nd round, like most of the guys above, that can anchor this line for a decade.  I'll be happy with any of the 4 Big Ten from Minnesota, Ohio St, Wisconsin, even Michigan.  Or get Scruggs from Penn St later.  I want a center for the Jet OL that will lead the team.. 

This team has been a laughing stock because of having terrible qbs. No one cares about centers. Trying to say center is the reason for failure is very inaccurate 

8 minutes ago, OilfieldJet said:

You get what you pay for.

Absolutely target a Center in the draft.

In the 4th sure. In the earlier rounds you target guys in positions who get paid a lot. This maximizes the value of the rookie contract. 

the average center makes 6 mil or less. You aren’t benefiting cap wise from first or 2nd round centers 

13 minutes ago, BurntDice said:

This team has been a laughing stock because of having terrible qbs. No one cares about centers. Trying to say center is the reason for failure is very inaccurate 

You didn't even read what I said. Nowhere did I say center is the reason for failure. Of course, it's just a coincidence that the times we've won, even with bums like Sanchez, we've had a solid Oline, and always with a solid anchor for center.  You may very likely be disappointed in day 2 of the draft.  You probably don't want to watch.  

38 minutes ago, Dcat said:

You didn't even read what I said. Nowhere did I say center is the reason for failure. Of course, it's just a coincidence that the times we've won, even with bums like Sanchez, we've had a solid Oline, and always with a solid anchor for center.  You may very likely be disappointed in day 2 of the draft.  You probably don't want to watch.  

We’ll see. 8 total centers have been taken in the first 2 rounds the last 4 years combined. At least 4 are busts or no longer play center. Thats 256 picks and only 8 are center. That shows how low value the position is when 3% of the picks in first 2 rounds are center. 

3 hours ago, football guy said:

The Jets had nothing against McGovern, but early on the word was they were going in a different direction because they wanted to add a player with more of a nasty, "enforcer" mentality at C. 

This makes sense now. Jets have him under contract for pennies pre-draft; waiting until after the draft could've resulted in demand for him increasing due to increased demand. If the Jets don't land a C early in the draft they'll have him compete to start with Schweitzer and Colon. They could still consider signing Ben Jones as well. If they do land a C early the same applies- they'll have an open competition, and whoever loses out would likely get traded/cut. If McGovern were to stick he could still provide valuable depth as a backup C/G. 

Simply put: this does not change their draft strategy. If Tippmann is there at 43, still think he's the pick. 

@T0mShane ead 

1 hour ago, Dcat said:

If I am building a team for sustainable success, and my starting C is CM at ~$2mm, I am certainly looking to upgrade the Center position, and if one of the Big 10 Centers are available at 43 that clearly could be the pick.  The problem is that, at the current moment, the Jets have a decent center, and have some other guys who can compete.  I don't know who is playing FS, and we need LBs and DTs.  At this point in time the Jets are trying to win it all now.  So, I can see hole-filling being the priority, at least in Rd 2.

39 minutes ago, BurntDice said:

the average center makes 6 mil or less. You aren’t benefiting cap wise from first or 2nd round centers 

Breece Hall's average cap cost is around $2.2mm/year, still cheaper than the average decent C.

Jeremy Ruckert (4th round pick) is around $1.1mm/year.  

If we found a replacement C in the 4th round, that would be really good.

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Warfish said:

Nice.  I'm less unhappy about the signing seeing that deal/cost.  That's backup money.

Now JD just needs to draft us a legit Center.

Can't really be unhappy about any starter at that cost.

Also agree, JD draft a future center.

• Upvote 1