### The Official Draft Day One Discussion Thread ###

Maxman

9 minutes ago, Joe Willie White Shoes said:

What does that even mean?  JD's job is not to prevent division opponents from drafting players that might help them.  His job is to make the Jets better.  How does JD picking at 15 prevent the Bills from drafting a player at 25?  Are you saying the Jets should have drafted Kincaid?  You were saying at the time the Jets picked that Levis was the pick.  You really think the Jets would pull the equivalent of drafting Love 2 days after trading for  Rodgers?  And the Jets were not drafting a TE at 15.  The Jets have a young talented TE in Ruckert.  I'm not sure why you -  a Bills fan- are on a Jets forum telling Jets fans who the Jets should draft.  

The bills board kicked me off because I got drunk and went on a anti lockdown anti vax tirade. Plus I always respected the jets and their fans. 

Marvin Jones was a great lb 

• Haha 2

37 minutes ago, football guy said:

Jets got smoked by the pick swap, plain and simple. No one wanted to believe this result would happen but it did. Will McDonald will be a fine player and I absolutely believe the team should be investing in pass rush if not pass protectors, but doesn’t change the fact that tonight was a failure in many ways… the entire offseason was built up towards adding an OT and it didn’t happen because a team leapfrogged them to take their guy who they would’ve had if they did not cave on the pick swap. Doesn’t mean drafting McDonald over JSN was the wrong move…

Agree with the Jets getting smoked, and tonight being a total disaster.  Vehemently disagree with McDonald being a fine player, but we’ll have to see how it, ultimately, shakes out.  I’ve made my reasons pretty clear at this point.  I, especially, disagree with him being a better pick than JSN.  What stings the most is that we probably could have gotten both players, but even if we eliminate that possibility, Douglas said there were offers on the table to trade down.  I don’t see a single thing about McDonald that makes him a talent worth passing on those opportunities.

1) JSN was never happening. All the rumors of him to the Jets were driven by Gary V’s relationship with the team/fandom.

I think history will show eliminating JSN from contention was a pretty silly thing to do.

2) he was not a great fit in our offense because we devalue slot receivers. He’s a slot-only player who lacks explosiveness. Your not drafting JSN to be your 5th/6th receiver. You’re drafting him to be a staple in the slot the way the Lions use St. Brown. That was never happening here as mentioned above because we utilize the slot for X’s, Z’s, F’s, and RB’s.

Good coaches adapt to the talent they are given, they don’t pigeonhole the talent to their scheme.  If this is how the Hackett era is gonna be, it’s not exactly promising to hear that he’s already making personnel decisions like Adam Gase or MLF did, or that JD and Saleh are comfortable with that level of stubborn rigidness, once again.

3) If any top player at any key position goes down you’re going to have problems. Your not planning your offseason about that unless you’re given reason to, and the Jets were: Duane Brown is old and Mekhi Becton is injury prone. But you can say the same thing for Q, Sauce, Breece, etc.

Definitely don’t disagree here.

4) were much better equipped to handle an injury to GW (god forbid) than you’re giving credit for. This is the first year Mecole got hurt—I wouldn’t call that a track record yet. The rapport is there with Lazard. There’s legit optimism that Hackett + Rodgers can get the most out of Mims. We’re loaded at TE. Rodgers has done better with a lot worse.

And what about Corey Davis, who definitely has a deeper injury history?  We’re relying on Mims in the event that the going gets tough?  That’s the backup plan?  It doesn’t seem like an idea worth retrying after how last year went.

OL is a problem that they’re gonna have to figure out how to pivot to fix. Can’t afford a Becton or Brown injury sending this into a tailspin. That’s the real legitimate concern

100%.  Such is life when you bend over backwards to get a player, even though you possessed all the leverage in the world, which would have only grown as more time passed.

See bolded for replies.

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

Vonn Miller was around 6'3 245

Hell, LT was 6'3 235

Don't dislike the player, but the position was not a need, and the value sucked. It was a dumb, luxury pick. I would rather have taken the f*cking  TE there. sh*t, I'd rather have had O'Cyrus tbh

Von Miller, if I remember correctly, bulked up to 250 though.

Fair enough on LT, but we’re talking about, arguably, the greatest player in the history of football there, and he also played 3-4 OLB, not 4-3 DE.

Agree on the pick being a total waste of resources though; especially when he wasn’t BPA and the position wasn’t a dire need.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

Von Miller, if I remember correctly, bulked up to 250 though.

Fair enough on LT, but we’re talking about, arguably, the greatest player in the history of football there, and he also played 3-4 OLB, not 4-3 DE.

Fwiw, I can see WMcD4 putting on another 10-15 lbs. 

4 minutes ago, Greenseed4 said:

Fwiw, I can see WMcD4 putting on another 10-15 lbs. 

Maybe he can.  What’s the trade off though?  He ran a 4.7 at 239, which is not good, and you can bet he will get a little stiffer with 10-15 lbs of muscle on his frame, so he’s not going to possess the same “elite” or “twitchy” athleticism that you fell in love with.  Then you need to see if he can maintain it.  Aaron Maybin was a guy who could put on the weight, but he had massive issues keeping it on.

There was always the complaint of Aaron Rodgers fans that the Packers never used too draft picks on offensive weapons esp receivers. So tonight the Jets followed suit in Rodgers first draft as a member of the Jets. They used their first pick on a defensive player. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

There was always the complaint of Aaron Rodgers fans that the Packers never used too draft picks on offensive weapons esp receivers. So tonight the Jets followed suit in Rodgers first draft as a member of the Jets. They used their first pick on a defensive player. 

When the best receiver in the draft was staring thdm in the face.  Just awful.  Rodgers should quit tomorrow.

• Thumb Down 1
  • WTF? 2
  • Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1

13 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

See bolded for replies.

1) JSN is an overrated prospect who produced heavily in a scheme that perfectly utilized him. Idk why everyone is going so crazy over him… Very solid WR a la Amon-Ra St. Brown. As you say, history will tell…

2) I think you’re missing the point. Part of being adaptable is using players in different spots to create mid-matches. Drafting JSN to be your primary slot basically elimates your ability to use the slot to create mismatches for all the other receivers. Lazard was signed to be the “big slot” who splits time at the Z with the other receivers (Hardman, Davis) and vice a versa. Garrett Wilson is going to be utilized in the slot often. TEs gonna get used in the slot. You draft JSN and you basically eliminate the mismatch aspect of things, especially if he’s going to be a starter. Whose to say Rodgers even utilizes him? It would’ve been a wasted pick tbh 

3) Again, you’re whing about 3rd and 4th and 5th receivers. If GW were to get injured (why were even talking about this idk), of course it would impact the offense, but let’s calm down… I just watched the Chiefs trade away Tyreek Hill and win the Super Bowl. Corey Davis as a 3/4 option and Denzel Mims as a 5/6 option is better than 90% of teams in the league 

4) Eh I think getting Rodgers before the draft was significant. I don’t agree with the pick swap and I’m as annoyed as anyone that they didn’t land the OL, but you’re taking it a bit far. The world isn’t burning 

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

22 minutes ago, football guy said:

1) JSN is an overrated prospect who produced heavily in a scheme that perfectly utilized him. Idk why everyone is going so crazy over him… Very solid WR a la Amon-Ra St. Brown. As you say, history will tell…

Ah, man, I usually agree with your draft takes, but I just can’t get behind this one.  Maybe I’m blinded by my own love for the kid, but I thought him and GW would have been fun.

2) I think you’re missing the point. Part of being adaptable is using players in different spots to create mid-matches. Drafting JSN to be your primary slot basically elimates your ability to use the slot to create mismatches for all the other receivers. Lazard was signed to be the “big slot” who splits time at the Z with the other receivers (Hardman, Davis) and vice a versa. Garrett Wilson is going to be utilized in the slot often. TEs gonna get used in the slot. You draft JSN and you basically eliminate the mismatch aspect of things, especially if he’s going to be a starter. Whose to say Rodgers even utilizes him? It would’ve been a wasted pick tbh.

I guess, in that case, my strategy to fix this log-jam would have been to trade Davis for some cap relief, and to recoup some picks but, obviously, the staff feels differently.  I already know that early talks with Green Bay involved Corey, so it’s not like they weren’t already making plans to move on.

3) Again, you’re whing about 3rd and 4th and 5th receivers. If GW were to get injured (why were even talking about this idk), of course it would impact the offense, but let’s calm down… I just watched the Chiefs trade away Tyreek Hill and win the Super Bowl. Corey Davis as a 3/4 option and Denzel Mims as a 5/6 option is better than 90% of teams in the league.

I just don’t view Davis or Hardman as anything more than “JAG” type guys.  I like Lazard quite a bit, but I don’t know if he’ll ever progress like the Jets are hoping he will.  Garrett Wilson is the guy that has that “Star” ability.  Personally, I see that same type of ability with JSN but, obviously, we just have a difference of opinion there.

4) Eh I think getting Rodgers before the draft was significant. I don’t agree with the pick swap and I’m as annoyed as anyone that they didn’t land the OL, but you’re taking it a bit far. The world isn’t burning.

I think it’s a plus, but I don’t think it’s one worth tossing next years 1st round pick away.  Especially if your backup plan to missing out on the Tackles, which is what I wanted above everything, even WR, was a player like McDonald.  The only positive to come out of that situation is that all signs point to him, hopefully, staying here for 2 years, at the very least.  Furthermore, if JDs board really fell apart that badly, he should have taken one the trade offers he said were available.  I don’t see anything about McDonald that makes him a “We can’t pass on this guy” type of player, which he said was the case.

More replies in bold, lol.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, MykePM said:

The “winner” Bills lost to a Zach Wilson-led Jets team last year.  And that game got closed out when a situational pass rusher sacked Josh Allen.

Literally the best comment of the day I watched the press conference and Saleh looked very tired. But I like the rationale of him being best pass rusher on the board and your comment is basically the logic. I kind of would hate had we picked up the nest tier of guard or whatever. They are available next round

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, Thesilvermind said:

He’s going to be a double-digit sack guy as a rookie,” a fourth scout said. “They played him like a 4i (technique) where he was always tight on the tackle. They never let him get out wide and just let him rip. His get-off is ridiculous

This will not happen with the d-line rotation. Yes push him out to wide 9 , if you were going to draft another Bryce Huff, it was a bad pick and there is no way to sugar coat it. It was a panic pick.

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1
  • Post of the Week 1

Not finding much killing the pick. The general consensus seems to be that McDonald is a good player, just drafted in the middle of the first instead of the back half of the first. Some of the more hardcore draft guys seem to have him ranked higher than your average mocks did. It’s a weird draft, so not surprising that opinions would vary.

What does it matter if the guy gets taken at 30 or 15? If the guy can play and he’s sacking the QB next year, it’s all good with me. The Jets should be putting up points next year, so the pass rush will have a chance to take over

• Upvote 3

The most common NFL player comparison I’ve seen for McDonald is Yannick Ngakoue.  On one hand, I think it might be nice to add a guy who can consistently hit double-digits in sacks (or close) every year - even if he’s not a great run defender.  On the other hand I wonder, if JD coveted a player like that, why didn’t he just sign Ngakoue himself (he’s still a free agent) and use the #15 pick to draft an additional impact player.

• Upvote 2

41 minutes ago, BigRy56 said:

Not finding much killing the pick. The general consensus seems to be that McDonald is a good player, just drafted in the middle of the first instead of the back half of the first. Some of the more hardcore draft guys seem to have him ranked higher than your average mocks did. It’s a weird draft, so not surprising that opinions would vary.

What does it matter if the guy gets taken at 30 or 15? If the guy can play and he’s sacking the QB next year, it’s all good with me. The Jets should be putting up points next year, so the pass rush will have a chance to take over

If this is the thought process why even worry about draft order and we should have probably just given the Packers the 15th pick and kept the 2nd this year and the 1st next year....can we trade Mcdonald for the 41st pick and next years one? lol

• Upvote 3
  • Post of the Week 1

4 hours ago, BigRy56 said:

Ok, but still sounds like a guy you trade down and still have sitting there for you.  You just don’t take a situational pass rusher at 15, no matter how good, unless it’s completely unavoidable.

Have to think there was a trade down opportunity available, even if we’d taken 75 cents on the dollar, while still getting “our guy”.

Oh well.  This was still a better result than a f**king OT, lol.  

7 hours ago, JETS SB said:

RRRRight. You wanted to pick a WR in the first round again? Gotcha. Tells me all I need to know. We don’t need a WR. We have multiple weapons and the ability to take a later slot receiver. Wilson/Lazard/Davis/Hardman/Breece/Carter/3 TEs - We have more weapons than Rodgers has ever had. The depth of the WRs in this draft is ridiculous. But of course you know this. An elite pass rusher is not obtainable later. We got one. 

Dell, Scott, Washington, Mingo, kid from WV.

4 hours ago, MykePM said:

The most common NFL player comparison I’ve seen for McDonald is Yannick Ngakoue.  On one hand, I think it might be nice to add a guy who can consistently hit double-digits in sacks (or close) every year - even if he’s not a great run defender.  On the other hand I wonder, if JD coveted a player like that, why didn’t he just sign Ngakoue himself (he’s still a free agent) and use the #15 pick to draft an additional impact player.

I think Ngakoue is a head case. By all accounts, McDonald is passionate about football.

6 hours ago, Kelly to Allen no huddle said:

The bills board kicked me off because I got drunk and went on a anti lockdown anti vax tirade. Plus I always respected the jets and their fans. 

Marvin Jones was a great lb 

My dude!  Bills fan or not, you're good in my book.

• Post of the Week 1

6 hours ago, football guy said:

Jets got smoked by the pick swap, plain and simple. No one wanted to believe this result would happen but it did. Will McDonald will be a fine player and I absolutely believe the team should be investing in pass rush if not pass protectors, but doesn’t change the fact that tonight was a failure in many ways… the entire offseason was built up towards adding an OT and it didn’t happen because a team leapfrogged them to take their guy who they would’ve had if they did not cave on the pick swap. Doesn’t mean drafting McDonald over JSN was the wrong move… 

1) JSN was never happening. All the rumors of him to the Jets were driven by Gary V’s relationship with the team/fandom.
2) he was not a great fit in our offense because we devalue slot receivers. He’s a slot-only player who lacks explosiveness. Your not drafting JSN to be your 5th/6th receiver. You’re drafting him to be a staple in the slot the way the Lions use St. Brown. That was never happening here as mentioned above because we utilize the slot for X’s, Z’s, F’s, and RB’s. 
3) If any top player at any key position goes down you’re going to have problems. Your not planning your offseason about that unless you’re given reason to, and the Jets were: Duane Brown is old and Mekhi Becton is injury prone. But you can say the same thing for Q, Sauce, Breece, etc. 
4) were much better equipped to handle an injury to GW (god forbid) than you’re giving credit for. This is the first year Mecole got hurt—I wouldn’t call that a track record yet. The rapport is there with Lazard. There’s legit optimism that Hackett + Rodgers can get the most out of Mims. We’re loaded at TE. Rodgers has done better with a lot worse.

OL is a problem that they’re gonna have to figure out how to pivot to fix. Can’t afford a Becton or Brown injury sending this into a tailspin. That’s the real legitimate concern

If the Jets were truly locked in on an offensive tackle, it was truly foolish to make it as obvious as it was. Consensus everywhere was that they wanted a tackle. That there was one tackle left on the board before they were up was a very reasonable possibility. Part of why I pushed back on the idea they were locked in, because it was such a needlessly risky way to operate if they were and I hoped they weren’t that poorly run.

We’ll never really know if the pick swap mattered. The Steelers weren’t moving to 14, they were moving to get ahead of the Jets. Maybe a move to 12 was too rich for their blood, but Detroit was moving down and reaching for guys last night and Pittsburgh easily could’ve moved up there if the Jets hadn’t swapped.

That said, as soon as the swap happened - the Pats love to trade down and the Steelers and Tampa had the tackle need and were very much in range. Saw this one from a mile away. I can’t imagine the Jets didn’t anticipate it too.

Part of the problem with being behind the Patriots too, know they’re not going to trade with you and it’d be odd to reacquire your pick from the Packers. Also part of the problem with being down to five draft picks this year and next year (pending compensatory picks coming your way).

• Upvote 1