Jets Sign Ancient WR Randall Cobb

1 minute ago, Barry McCockinner said:

you'll have to ask slats if it's a prudent business move.

Lotta posters here seem to be applying to be woody’s personal accountant. He can make up the difference in hot dog sales. He will be fine. Promise.

• Upvote 4

31 minutes ago, bonkertons said:

Maybe outraged was the wrong word - I think "hyperbolic" would be better.  One guy says Rodgers is the GM now and JD is a "cuck".  Another says if Maccagnan had done this, we'd be calling for him to be fired.  Another claiming that we botched our draft and didn't take JSN because of this move, which is one of the most moronic things I've seen on here.  

I've never seen a depth signing - literally our 5th WR at best - get THIS much attention, much less this much criticism.  People acting like our season just went up in flames because of this. 

As Bart Scott is now explaining - Cobb can help train the WR room should they have questions. Before people say that's the WR coach or Hackett's job, Bart explains they don't always have the time to do so. He gave the example - if Hardman has a question he can go up to Cobb and ask what am I supposed to do here or something to that effect

4 hours ago, LIJetsFan said:

Another post comp pick penalty period signing.  JD gets it.  He might be an old WR but if our QB signs off on him I'm ok with this cheap signing.  Why the hell not?

Plus he and Lazard will help the others with the nuances of the routes and what Rodgers favors.

46 minutes ago, bonkertons said:

Jesus Christ, people really getting outraged about our #5 or 6 WR signing?  A guy who is cheap, can be a mentor to our young WR, has experience with the QB we're pinning our hopes on, and is only signed for a year?  How can anyone complain about this?  Because it MIGHT force Mims to work harder to earn the last spot over an UDFA?  The horror....

Also LOL at the guy who said "JD letting Rodgers play GM".  I'm sure Rodgers was the one demanding that we take an Edge rusher at 15.  

Please choose another word to show your outrage than the Son of God. It would be greatly appreciated. May I suggest WTF ? 

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 4
  • Sympathy 2
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

you'll have to ask slats if it's a prudent business move.

Mike Evans is substantially better than Hopkins, having never dropped below 1000 yards/season or been available for fewer than 13 games. Trading a pick for him and his $13M cap hit would be significantly more prudent than trading for the lesser Hopkins and his $19M salary, yes. 

• Upvote 4

Now that I’m done making wise cracks about this signing, I’ll be serious for one minute about it.

Cobb is going to be a pretty productive WR out of the slot, and we’re going to love him on 3rd downs. 

My prediction is he turns out to be a better signing than Hardman. Rodgers loves this guy, and GW, Lazard and Cobb are going to be his go to guys.

• Upvote 3

18 minutes ago, slats said:

That’s an accurate portrayal, lol. 

I’ve got Cobb no better than the #5 WR on this team for what I expect signed for something down around the league minimum. Maybe $2M/year, no more than that. 

Hopkins, meanwhile, is under contract for a $19M salary this season. And you -I presume- would’ve wanted to trade a draft pick for the pleasure of paying that? I get that he’s been a better player than Cobb for his entire career, but he’s on a serious downside right now. I’d rather pay <$2M for Cobb’s 400 yards than $19M and a draft pick for Hopkins’ 700. Seems like a prudent business move to me. 

I feel like one of Hopkins biggest benefits is that he is QB proof.  He played well with Schaub, Fitzpatrick, Hoyer, Osweiler, Mallet, Yates, Weeden, Tom Savage, Watson, Murray.  Seemed like it didn't much matter who was throwing.  That skill seems wasted with Rodgers, but I think Rodgers would really appreciate him.

3 hours ago, OtherwiseHappyinLife said:

Ohh the narratives …

last 2 years with Rodgers.

62 catches on 86 targets = 72% completion

800 total yards

6 TDs

70 to 72 PFF grade

———————————————-

Should I do Mims or Jeff Smith next?

2 years of stats? Who does that, and why stop at two? Lol

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, bonkertons said:

Jesus Christ, people really getting outraged about our #5 or 6 WR signing?  A guy who is cheap, can be a mentor to our young WR, has experience with the QB we're pinning our hopes on, and is only signed for a year?  How can anyone complain about this?  Because it MIGHT force Mims to work harder to earn the last spot over an UDFA?  The horror....

Also LOL at the guy who said "JD letting Rodgers play GM".  I'm sure Rodgers was the one demanding that we take an Edge rusher at 15.  

There’s always a subset of posters here that are outraged over something.  Whether it’s signing Cobb, Rodgers being happy but he’s not winning games for us yet, draft picks….there’s always something to be outraged over.  

Have you read about the “JSN hate” yet?  From what I’ve read, it needs to stop.

59 minutes ago, slats said:

I definitely believe that Douglas picked McDonald because he was the top player on his BAP board while the top players on the need side of the aisle were way further down. That if he thought JSN was the top prospect there, he would’ve told Rodgers sorry on Cobb and taken him there. I really think it’s that simple. He certainly hasn’t had an aversion to drafting the position, unlike his predecessors. 

I don't believe that.  I think the original plan got FUBAR because of the run on the top tackles, and that JD would not, in fact, say no to a "Rodgers wants Cobb" request.  And those both factored into the choice of pick, not necessarily were the driving force, but factors.

With that said, I have no way of knowing what JD's view of JASN was, for all I know he hated him as a prospect (as now so many Jets Fans seem to).

59 minutes ago, slats said:

Also think you severely underestimate Hardman. This guy’s been #3 in targets in Kansas City behind Hill and Kelce since his sophomore season. Cobb was 6th in targets in Green Bay last year with Rodgers. All things being equal and healthy, Cobb is primarily a depth piece here who will not rise above #5 WR status while Hardman has a legitimate chance to be #3 over Davis. 

You certainly could be right on that.  I don't think much of Hardman tbqh.  No question, I could be wrong on the split between Cobb and Hardman.

4 hours ago, KRL said:

So what, let him come in and compete.  It's not like Douglas/Saleh are going to cut

Garrett Wilson to keep Cobb on the roster.  If he still has something in the tank fine

otherwise he'll be cut:

https://www.espn.com/nfl/player/stats/_/id/14053/randall-cobb

Exactly, everybody just assumes Cobb is coming in and will be on the team.

If that was the case, he would have been signed along with Lazard.

Cobb was added to compete, his spot on the roster is not set in stone. He also comes in with experience, with Rodgers, with the system, that will be huge for all of our young guys...

This is a win win...

But SOJF will FidelioJet anyway I suppose...  ?

7 minutes ago, Rob Moore said:

There’s always a subset of posters here that are outraged over something.  Whether it’s signing Cobb, Rodgers being happy but he’s not winning games for us yet, draft picks….there’s always something to be outraged over.  

Have you read about the “JSN hate” yet?  From what I’ve read, it needs to stop.

You seem outraged over the outrage in your head.

1 minute ago, JetsRay said:

Exactly, everybody just assumes Cobb is coming in and will be on the team.

If that was the case, he would have been sized behind Lazard.

Cobb was added to compete, his spot on the roster is not set in stone. He also comes in with experience, with Rodgers, with the system, that will be huge for all of our young guys...

This is a win win...

But SOJF will FidelioJet anyway I suppose...  ?

You guys saying his spot on the roster isn’t set in stone are the clueless ones here, but yeah, do go on with the JSN guys being out to lunch.

1 hour ago, Lith said:

3 snaps.

Snap Counts

Games Off. Def. ST
Year Age Tm Pos No. G GS Num Pct Num Pct Num Pct
Career           988   0   3  
2020 23 NYJ WR 11 9 8 439 82% 0 0% 0 0%
2021 24 NYJ WR 11 11 3 279 40% 0 0% 0 0%
2022 25 NYJ WR 11 10 4 270 42% 0 0% 3 1%

1 hour ago, #27TheDominator said:

He played 3 special teams snaps. 

1 hour ago, Barry McCockinner said:

they were really good reps though.

Did he learn ALL the special teams positions though?

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 3

3 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Did he learn ALL the special teams positions though?

I will say I have no issue with the Cobb signing and do think he will be an asset especially in short yardage goal line.

80 brings up a great point though - would be interesting if Saleh was asked the question to see what his answer is. 

To be fair, one of the issues was people saying Mims wouldn't play specials and I think he went out of the way to say he would and practiced them.  He probably lost some snaps because Jeff and Vyncynt both played specials when he didn't.  Because of that, he was stuck waiting for Davis to get hurt. 

53 minutes ago, 32EBoozer said:

Please choose another word to show your outrage than the Son of God. It would be greatly appreciated. May I suggest WTF ? 

Judge not, that ye be not judged.

For with what judgment ye judge, ye shall be judged: and with what measure ye mete, it shall be measured to you again.

And why beholdest thou the mote that is in thy brother's eye, but considerest not the beam that is in thine own eye?

Or how wilt thou say to thy brother, Let me pull out the mote out of thine eye; and, behold, a beam is in thine own eye?

Thou hypocrite, first cast out the beam out of thine own eye; and then shalt thou see clearly to cast out the mote out of thy brother's eye.