Jets Camp Updates - 7/31.

Lith

1 hour ago, Lith said:

I’m excited for Bam, he showed a lot of potential last year but Izzy seems to have a similar skill set. This isn’t fair to say about Carter because explosion isn’t his game, he is shifty and created a ton of missed tackles his rookie season. It’ll be interesting to see what they do if they sign Cook 

• Upvote 2

In my mind, the competition between McGovern/Tippmann was the biggest battle of camp.  It sounds like Tippmann simply isn't ready to start at this point.  Hopefully he gets to a point where he is high quality depth in 2023 with a plan of taking over in 2024.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, JoeNamathsFurCoat said:

Schmitz is supposedly looking like the starter for the Giants

Tippman is currently 3rd string 

This won’t help the Jets’ batting average on 2nd round picks

i just looked at the giants depth chart on a couple of sites, and the only centers listed are schmitz and jc hasseneaur, who has started in like 7 games in 3 years and just tore a triceps and may miss the season. 

so not exactly an apples-to-apples comparison to tippmann competing against 2 veterans, including the incumbent

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

9 minutes ago, jetblue95 said:

i just looked at the giants depth chart on a couple of sites, and the only centers listed are schmitz and jc hasseneaur, who has started in like 7 games in 3 years and just tore a triceps and may miss the season. 

so not exactly an apples-to-apples comparison to tippmann competing against 2 veterans, including the incumbent

and he is out with a triceps injury.  if similar to AVT, he's out for a while.

This PFF pre draft scouting nugget on Becton was also key:

Dude had only like 70 true “pass sets” during his Louisville career

Impossible to judge a dude’s ability based on “tape” with only 70 reps

Douglas ignored this risk as well as the red flag for stupidity with him getting flagged at the combine for weed

• Upvote 3

16 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

And I wouldn't answer if I was Hackett. Payton can F off. He said what he said. He tried back tracking it. And If I'm Hack I don't want an apology. I just would try and beta the crap out of them when we play them. Put up 40 if we can. Even if we only give up 10. Throwing bombs and such in the 4th qtr. 

Payton was nothing before Brees got to town

Is he a better offensive mind and better head coach than Hackett?

Yes, but the Jets are the better team and should win

Running the score up would be nice, but it would be ironic (and funnier) if Denver lost because of a pre-snap penalty 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, JoeNamathsFurCoat said:

This PFF pre draft scouting nugget on Becton was also key:

Dude had only like 70 true “pass sets” during his Louisville career

Impossible to judge a dude’s ability based on “tape” with only 70 reps

Douglas ignored this risk as well as the red flag for stupidity with him getting flagged at the combine for weed

Becton played well today. Must be all the weed

Popeye GIF 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, chirorob said:

People act like a 2nd rounder who has to sit and learn a year at center is a bad thing.

That was the best part of bringing McGovern back, it allows Tippman to not be rushed.

every pre-draft report on Tippmann said he wasn't as pro ready as JMS (or Creed Humphrey)

Tippmann was a traits pick - developmental - give him a year and he'll be starting 

Cam Jurgens is another decent comparison  

• Upvote 3

3 minutes ago, JoeNamathsFurCoat said:

Payton was nothing before Brees got to town

Is he a better offensive mind and better head coach than Hackett?

Yes, but the Jets are the better team and should win

Running the score up would be nice, but it would be ironic (and funnier) if Denver lost because of a pre-snap penalty 

Drew Brees never threw for over 3600 yards before the Chargers let him go in favor of Rivers. On New Orleans, he threw for over 4300 yards his first 12 years with Payton. He’s probably a pretty good coach. I expect a lot of improvement from Wilson and the Broncos this season. 

14 minutes ago, bitonti said:

every pre-draft report on Tippmann said he wasn't as pro ready as JMS (or Creed Humphrey)

Tippmann was a traits pick - developmental - give him a year and he'll be starting 

Cam Jurgens is another decent comparison  

Humphrey I was pissed on, I personally did 412 mock drafts, and took him in all of them!

I did actually really want him, but yes, give Tippmann a year to learn.  Which is what JD had talked about, developing a pipeline of players.

• Upvote 2

Imagine how scary this defense is going to be if this Adams hype translates into the season.  If this kid ends up being a stud, we are going to be really difficult to play against.  I mean, we already will be, you'd think, but my god.  If this kid is the real deal we are stacked.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, JoeNamathsFurCoat said:

Schmitz is supposedly looking like the starter for the Giants

Tippman is currently 3rd string 

This won’t help the Jets’ batting average on 2nd round picks

What if the NYG #2 C is a turnstile and not as good as McGovern..

People need to relax...

8 minutes ago, bonkertons said:

Imagine how scary this defense is going to be if this Adams hype translates into the season.  If this kid ends up being a stud, we are going to be really difficult to play against.  I mean, we already will be, you'd think, but my god.  If this kid is the real deal we are stacked.

I’m pumped on Adams. It giving up some thought I don’t know if he’s got the easiest job in the NFL or the most difficult. I mean, best tandem of corners in the league in front of him, but if (when) he gets beat it’ll be magnified.

Either way, should be a great addition to our secondary and defense.