Cimini: Locker room is grumbling about Wilson, team is close to imploding

T0mShane

1 minute ago, gastineau_intestinal_tract said:

yeah,..it doesn't make sense.  wentz looks like the best and most logical choice the jets have. the guy makes things exciting as well.  the fan base would rally for the guy as well as you know he can move the chains.

somebody posted the jets don't want to bring in a qb better than wilson...which is lol, but the way the whole "head scratching" mike white situation went down it can't be ruled out.

Unless the thinking heading into the season was, if rodgers is healthy, we ride it, and if he gets hurt, we keep the 1st rounder and draft a new qb to groom behind rodgers.  

18 minutes ago, dbatesman said:

I wasn’t saying I wouldn’t take Rodgers on the team at age 37. I was saying I would have had similar reservations about trading a first round pick plus other stuff for a 37-year-old QB as I did about doing so for a 39-year-old QB.

But that's the point.

At 37, he won an MVP.

At 39, he tore his Achilles.

The fact that he won an MVP at 37 made him seem like he was worth an investment at 39, especially since he would now have a strong Defense ... while also factoring in the weak available QB market.   The investment was protected and will not amount to a first round pick.  

So JD gambled and it cost him!

But the gamble would have been much better if he hedged his bet and also invested in a capable #2 QB.  Such as a Minshew...  Overpay a bit to cover your bases.  After all, Rodgers gave back $35M.

Ultimately, you & others were right because he tore his Achilles.  But you would have been wrong at 35-38 when he won 2 MVPs, made 2 Conference Championship games and started every game.

We agree JD ****ed up, we just disagree on where he ****ed up.  I agree with your hesitation but believed it was worth the risk for the reasons above IF we had a capable backup.  

• Upvote 3
  • Post of the Week 1

the irony is wilson was benched last go because he sucked so why do the coach and gm think he wont suck again-he is just a bad player -he already lost the locker room last go you really think they are buying into him now? Moore was right Zach was and is trash  now and will be trash in the future 

• Upvote 3

34 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

The 49ers knew Lance was DOA from the jump. They ran a real competition for the BACKUP job this summer and he lost. They moved him. They invested way more than the Jets did with Wilson too. Wilson is on the team because of Woody. I don’t see how anyone  with a straight face can deny this. 

also, the Simien signing is clearly a joke

Your Woody loves Zach story line makes no sense. Have fun I guess, but it makes zero sense. Zach is on Saleh,, JD and probably Rodgers more then Woody. 

9 minutes ago, OtherwiseHappyinLife said:

But that's the point.

At 37, he won an MVP.

At 39, he tore his Achilles.

The fact that he won an MVP at 37 made him seem like he was worth an investment at 39, especially since he would now have a strong Defense ... while also factoring in the weak available QB market.   The investment was protected and will not amount to a first round pick.  

So JD gambled and it cost him!

But the gamble would have been much better if he hedged his bet and also invested in a capable #2 QB.  Such as a Minshew...  Overpay a bit to cover your bases.  After all, Rodgers gave back $35M.

Ultimately, you & others were right because he tore his Achilles.  But you would have been wrong at 35-38 when he won 2 MVPs, made 2 Conference Championship games and started every game.

We agree JD ****ed up, we just disagree on where he ****ed up.  I agree with your hesitation but believed it was worth the risk for the reasons above IF we had a capable backup.  

Wilson being this bad has had some disastrous ripple effects. The FO couldn't run him back but they were picking too late to grab a qb this year and they were all getting fired if they didn't make the playoffs anyway, so they were forced to go the veteran route. Rodgers being available was a stroke of luck (or maybe not) but now his injury has further scrambled the timeline. 

We're in for a brutal year and then another all in resource dump into next year with Rodgers coming off an Achilles. A capable backup would have spared us the indignity of watching Zach Wilson play football but the Jets are pretty screwed unless several simultaneous miracles occur.

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

8 hours ago, Zachtomims47 said:

Your Woody loves Zach story line makes no sense. Have fun I guess, but it makes zero sense. Zach is on Saleh,, JD and probably Rodgers more then Woody. 

It makes more sense than Saleh and JD intentionally flushing down their jobs the toilet over loyalty to one player. That actually makes no sense.

• Upvote 3

Well you saw it on the field last Sunday and we saw it last season. I think Zach has a future as an NFL QB it's not over for him yet. But not with the Jets. You don't throw out an entire season for one player when he doesn't fit with teammates. You can't give him more than a half this Sunday. If no offense you go to Boyle. 

So I have a couple thoughts about this. Zach is not a good QB. I'm not in the locker room so I don't know what he's like off the field, but on the field he's trying. He's standing in there getting hit by defensive lineman and by water bottles. Saleh and JD are the ones to point fingers at for strutting him out every week, and not formulating a backup plan in case the 40 yr old QB goes down. 

As for the defence being upset about the situation.  These guys need to look inward.

0 sacks.

0 ints.

0 turnovers. 

minimum pressure.

gave up chunk 3rd downs.

Fix your self before criticising others. No one should be free of criticism since the bills game. 

What people need to do is stop pretending Woody will fire the front office GM and coaches that Rodgers wants to come back and play for. ITS NOT HAPPENING! Woody does whatever ensures Rodgers to play as a Jet at least for 1 more season. He's not coming back to us with a new coaching staff.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1
  • Ugh 1

Look it wasn't Zach's direct fault that the running game didn't work on Sunday. And NEP stopped Breece Hall all day. Last season when he was impact the Jets won with Zach as QB. If Breece had a good game good chance Jets would have won the game. They almost did on that Hail Mary. But team on offense isn't playing well with Zach as QB and for that reason needs a change. 

• Thumb Down 1

We have to have some level of confidence that the coaches see what Boyle can/can't do and are going with the fact that while Zach is 15% effective, they are hoping he can play at times to the Pitt game last year, Tenn game the year before etc. 

It is not a great plan by any means, but it is prob the best they have where they are at.

Guessing, Joe D never imagined Rodgers going down for the year week 1, mistake on his part of course because if the above is true, then Zach could possibly fill in for a game or a few series, but not for an extended time.

It is going to be a rough ride this year and we have to realize it is a flush.

On to 2024. 

• Post of the Week 1
  • More Ugh 1

27 minutes ago, THE BARON said:

Which former Jets QB(s) could come in and dress this Sunday and play better that ZW ??? 

1. Joe Namath

2. Richard Todd

3. Ken O'Brien

4. Boomer

5. Vinny

6. Chad

7. Favre

8. Fitz

9. Sanchez

10. Darnold

All.  But some might not make it out alive. 

I’d also add Rodgers in a wheelchair.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Flightattendant said:

So I have a couple thoughts about this. Zach is not a good QB. I'm not in the locker room so I don't know what he's like off the field, but on the field he's trying. He's standing in there getting hit by defensive lineman and by water bottles. Saleh and JD are the ones to point fingers at for strutting him out every week, and not formulating a backup plan in case the 40 yr old QB goes down. 

As for the defence being upset about the situation.  These guys need to look inward.

0 sacks.

0 ints.

0 turnovers. 

minimum pressure.

gave up chunk 3rd downs.

Fix your self before criticising others. No one should be free of criticism since the bills game. 

an NFL team should win a game where they give up 13 points 100/100 times. This is crazy pills stuff

• Upvote 2

6 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Rodgers didn’t disintegrate into a pile of ancient salts three weeks ago. He was tackled awkwardly. Bryce Young and Anthony Richardson are also injured and they are 23 years old. Derek Carr is also injured. Joe Burrow is hurt. Don’t blame me because I shoot for greatness. The guy with whom I was arguing about Rodgers’ injury “concerns” wanted to sign Jacoby Brissett instead. Would I participate in foul back-alley hair-pulling sex with Ron Rivera in exchange for the rights to Jacoby Brissett right now? Yes. But would I take a healthy Brissett over a healthy Rodgers? No. Because I am all about championships

The problem with this theory is that Rodgers was in fact a middle of the road QB last season who looked his age and got hurt. I didn't see championships looking at that guy play.

• Thumb Down 1
  • Post of the Week 1

3 hours ago, Augustiniak said:

Also unclear if saleh will trot wilson out there to prove a point, that it’s the FO that kept him, saleh benched him last year, they didn’t keep the semi competent backup in white, and now woody and douglas don’t be surprised at the result.  The problem is that saleh is on the verge of losing whatever player support he has, they’re probably going to have to change coaches at season’s end, rodgers will be cheerleading from the sidelines and critical of everyone when he’s played 4 downs and may not play another.  Have to wonder if rodgers already realizes that he too may lose some of the control he thought he had, with the jets now keeping that 1st rounder which could well be top 10 or top 5 and qbs once again in the conversation with potential changes within the org.  

This

2 hours ago, TNJet said:

What people need to do is stop pretending Woody will fire the front office GM and coaches that Rodgers wants to come back and play for. ITS NOT HAPPENING! Woody does whatever ensures Rodgers to play as a Jet at least for 1 more season. He's not coming back to us with a new coaching staff.

God no 

Hopefully the noice will be too loud for them to pull that crap, I’m telling you bringing back this clown show will be yet another wasted season 

• Thumb Down 1
  • Post of the Week 1

Wayne Chrebet made a point on his pod with Sabo I've been making for years:

ZW has no competitive fire and no leadership traits.

For one thing, you rarely if ever see him on the sideline looking at the tablet or photos trying to figure out what the defense is trying to do to them.

You have to be a leader at the QB position.

On top of his ability and willingness to throw a football and not play scared, this is a big reason why the locker room gravitated to MW.

It's an epic scouting fail by JD, Saleh, and everybody else who formed a predraft "consensus" on ZW.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, dbatesman said:

I wasn’t saying I wouldn’t take Rodgers on the team at age 37. I was saying I would have had similar reservations about trading a first round pick plus other stuff for a 37-year-old QB as I did about doing so for a 39-year-old QB.

When we got Favre we traded a conditional 4 which became a 3.  It made a lot of sense at the time.  The problem with the Rodgers deal was the cost to the teams future.  

If it worked and what that actually means is a lot of cost for a very short window at a very high cost.  If it didn't work a lot of cost for a train wreck.  

Got to admit I was good either way.  As a Jets fan I have a lot of experience rubbernecking.   I'm pretty disapointed we didn't get to see if Rodgers had anything left in the tank.  The idea of running it back again seems nuts.

• Upvote 1

28 minutes ago, JoeNamathsFurCoat said:

Wayne Chrebet made a point on his pod with Sabo I've been making for years:

ZW has no competitive fire and no leadership traits.

For one thing, you rarely if ever see him on the sideline looking at the tablet or photos trying to figure out what the defense is trying to do to them.

You have to be a leader at the QB position.

On top of his ability and willingness to throw a football and not play scared, this is a big reason why the locker room gravitated to MW.

It's an epic scouting fail by JD, Saleh, and everybody else who formed a predraft "consensus" on ZW.

he gives the fans little to be excited about in just about every aspect of the game,  if he delivered it would be fine, but he should  at least  try and fake it  lol  

2 hours ago, TNJet said:

Rodgers doesn’t give a f*ck about Saleh, regardless of what he says. As long as Hackett is OC.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Wit said:

where the eff is @football guy or @Mogglez. I need to know what is going on behind closed doors! I miss you guys!

I'm not frequenting on here. Usually I'm never active over the summer and get back into it just before the season starts, but leading up to this season I've been using other platforms to scratch my Jets itch. 

As far as the locker room splinting: its hearsay. Cimini's manufactures conflict. Always has. Are player's frustrated? Yes, they want to win. But everyone recognizes that there is not a singular issue- there are many different issues that need to get worked through. In back-to-back weeks we haven't been very creative or effective running the ball, which is supposed to be our strength. There's no scenario where we will have an effective passing game without an effective run game, and its not like the Patriots or Cowboys were loading the box so this is a major red flag... we just haven't been able to generate any offense on the ground. Against Dallas they pretty much abandoned the run do to ineffectiveness and game script; against New England they overcommitted to it when it clearly wasn't working. If the Jets are going to do anything this year, that needs to get corrected no matter who the QB is. In the passing game there isn't much creativity either, but I don't think Hackett deserves blame for that because its what Rodgers wanted. He likes to go up to the line of scrimmage, read a defense, and determine where he's going with the ball. Zach is not able to do that. 

As far as what we should expect long-term: as the season progresses, you're going to see them transition into more of an RPO offense. Its hard for them to do it on the fly, but from what I understand that's Downing's baby. Rodgers didn't want any of that which is why its been a really basic schematically, but they realize they're going to have to get a little more creative for the sake of manufacturing some easy offense. Absent a complete meltdown I don't see any major changes. If you gave the coaches truth serum, I think the answer would be that they want the locker room to ignore the noise, go out an win a game or two before the bye week, and if they enter the bye at 2-4 or 3-3 they'll be in a much better position to make noise after the bye. If they don't do that, all bets are off 

• Upvote 5
  • Thumb Down 2