What might the Jets OL look like on Monday?

Cedric Ogbuehi I think is sitting at home.  He filled in admirably last year when he was the 4th man up.  

Moving Becton to the Right side might actually help.  The question is this: Is Mekhi Becton at LT and Max Mitchell at RT better than Duane Brown at LT and Mekhi Becton at RT?  I personally think B ) is the better position.  Tomlinson isn't going anywhere.  So we just have to figure out who is C and who is RG.  

• Upvote 4

4 hours ago, CanadaSteve said:

Cedric Ogbuehi I think is sitting at home.  He filled in admirably last year when he was the 4th man up.  

Moving Becton to the Right side might actually help.  The question is this: Is Mekhi Becton at LT and Max Mitchell at RT better than Duane Brown at LT and Mekhi Becton at RT?  I personally think B ) is the better position.  Tomlinson isn't going anywhere.  So we just have to figure out who is C and who is RG.  

I was an Ogbuehi fan, but I don't know that they'll bring him back.  They added Dennis Kelly who played for Carter with the Titans for a few years and was their RT in 2020.  He is another older dude (33) who also played for Hackett with the Packers in 2021 and the 2022 Colts (uhoh!).   They dumped Glaser and Ogbuehi from the practice squad when they were desperate for corners before Philly.  They recently re-added Glaser, but with Kelly and Brown coming back, I think T is less important.  They are probably more concerned about interior options, Turner has played both over the years. 

I don't think they have elevated Newman from the practice squad which is kind of interesting and I have no idea if they have anybody else that can snap or have had anybody in.

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, Barry McCockinner said:

IF Tippman & Brown can play:

LT - Mekhi Becton / Billy Turner / Dennis Kelly
LG - Laken Tomlinson / Billy Turner
OC - Joe Tippmann / Xavier Newman (PS)
RG - Max Mitchell / Roger Saffold (PS)  / Billy Turner
RT  -  Duane Brown / Billy Turner / Dennis Kelly

I know Brown hasn't played RT since his first year of college but I doubt they're moving Becton back over there and Brown is probably better at RT than Mitchell who can also play guard and may be an upgrade over the other options there.

Man I hope this happens. I think that line could be pretty decent all things considered.

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, Maxman said:

Man I hope this happens. I think that line could be pretty decent all things considered.

Not terrible, it will be the 5th different starting combo in 8 games.

If they could only quit with all the injuries, some continuity might actually help a little.

• Upvote 3

11 hours ago, Barry McCockinner said:

I know Brown hasn't played RT since his first year of college but I doubt they're moving Becton back over there and Brown is probably better at RT than Mitchell who can also play guard and may be an upgrade over the other options there.

I like it but this HC is way to deferential to move Brown.  Between offensive snaps allocation and offensive play calling I'm very concerned.  As someone once said, I guess they know more that us.   

18 hours ago, Barry McCockinner said:

Can Max Mitchell play G?  Or is the idea that he'd be our best option there so let's play an OT at G?  It feels like an OT should be able to pick up the position of G a lot easier than vice-versa.  Not sure if it's "easy" though.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Can Max Mitchell play G?  Or is the idea that he'd be our best option there so let's play an OT at G?  It feels like an OT should be able to pick up the position of G a lot easier than vice-versa.  Not sure if it's "easy" though.

Yes. Mitchell also plays guard. Same with Turner. JD loves versatile o-lineman 

• Upvote 3

On 11/1/2023 at 11:55 AM, Rhg1084 said:

Brown is going back to LT.

Brown, Tomlinson, Tippman, Staffold, Becton will be the line 

100% agree. Been saying this from the get go. Becton has experience playing both sides and has not looked stellar at LT. He's been solid but not stellar. He just got owned by KT against the Giants, or did we all just not pay attention? 

Even so, I'd love for Brown, who I have very little confidence in, to step in at RT. But Brown simply doesn't play RT. It would be foolish to put him there. If he is good to go, he will replace Becton at LT and Becton will move to RT. Its just the best use of resources. 

As far as the mess that is our interior O-line. Tomlinson stays where he is. IF Tippman can go (and I doubt he will), like most, I think he will play C. So the question is, who fills in at RG? Well, I highly doubt will be Turner. Personally, I don't think he looked very good filling in for Schweitzer. Newman looked a lot better at C than Turner looked at guard and my understanding is that Newman is a guard. So if we want our top 5, put Newman in at G. LMFAO. 

But seriously, Newman, Turner, Glaser, Mitchell, Kelly and the newly added Saffold will all be option at G. Whoever looks best in practice will probably get the nod. Other than Saffold- a former pro-bowl guard, Turner actually has the most experience at Guard. But that doesn't mean he is any good, or I should say the best of the bunch. My guess is that either Mitchell or Saffold will get the nod.  

• Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, PepPep said:

100% agree. Been saying this from the get go. Becton has experience playing both sides and has not looked stellar at LT. He's been solid but not stellar. He just got owned by KT against the Giants, or did we all just not pay attention? 

Even so, I'd love for Brown, who I have very little confidence in, to step in at RT. But Brown simply doesn't play RT. It would be foolish to put him there. If he is good to go, he will replace Becton at LT and Becton will move to RT. Its just the best use of resources. 

As far as the mess that is our interior O-line. Tomlinson stays where he is. IF Tippman can go (and I doubt he will), like most, I think he will play C. So the question is, who fills in at RG? Well, I highly doubt will be Turner. Personally, I don't think he looked very good filling in for Schweitzer. Newman looked a lot better at C than Turner looked at guard and my understanding is that Newman is a guard. So if we want our top 5, put Newman in at G. LMFAO. 

But seriously, Newman, Turner, Glaser, Mitchell, Kelly and the newly added Saffold will all be option at G. Whoever looks best in practice will probably get the nod. Other than Saffold- a former pro-bowl guard, Turner actually has the most experience at Guard. But that doesn't mean he is any good, or I should say the best of the bunch. My guess is that either Mitchell or Saffold will get the nod.  

I think you are sleeping on Newman who was with Carter in Tennessee.  They put him in the game at RG ahead of Turner when Schweitzer went to C, so he certainly ahead of at least Turner at G.  

1951886-0b5sd5bow4pyemnnxrhbjumvlcvk-bin

Nah in all seriousness if Tippmann is back I'll feel pretty confident in our OL.  The Chargers D is pretty cheeks so it shouldn't be the biggest test for them.  I'm guessing, WITH Tipp:  Becton-Tomlinson-Tippmann-Turner-Mitchell.  If Brown is ready I guess slide Becton to RT for Mitchell and stick Brown at LT.  I'm not that big on Brown anymore so honestly would prefer we just keep Becton at LT and Mitchell at RT.  Either way it should be way ahead of where we were at against the Giants.

18 minutes ago, bonkertons said:

1951886-0b5sd5bow4pyemnnxrhbjumvlcvk-bin

Nah in all seriousness if Tippmann is back I'll feel pretty confident in our OL.  The Chargers D is pretty cheeks so it shouldn't be the biggest test for them.  I'm guessing, WITH Tipp:  Becton-Tomlinson-Tippmann-Turner-Mitchell.  If Brown is ready I guess slide Becton to RT for Mitchell and stick Brown at LT.  I'm not that big on Brown anymore so honestly would prefer we just keep Becton at LT and Mitchell at RT.  Either way it should be way ahead of where we were at against the Giants.

I think we could see Mitchell at RG Monday night.

Brown or Becton
Tomlinson
Tippman
Mitchell
Becton or Brown

• Upvote 3

19 hours ago, #27TheDominator said:

I think you are sleeping on Newman who was with Carter in Tennessee.  They put him in the game at RG ahead of Turner when Schweitzer went to C, so he certainly ahead of at least Turner at G.  

Not really. If you read what I wrote carefully I only mention Turner's experience, which he has a lot of. As does Saffold. It doesn't mean they are any good. I liked what I saw from Newman in the Giants game. But its hard to start a guy who has so little NFL experience when you have veteran options on the table. 

Who knows though. Looks like Tomllinson popped up ono the injury report now. If Tippman can't go we may see Newman, Mitchell and Saffold as out three interior linemen.

Awkward Jay Z GIF by Complex

• Upvote 1

On 11/1/2023 at 9:49 AM, Sarge4Tide said:

Assuming 8 offensive linemen on the active game day roster

IF Tippmann can play:

LT - Mekhi Becton / Dennis Kelly
RG - Roger Saffold (PS)  / Billy Turner
RT  - Max Mitchell / Dennis Kelly

IF Tippmann CAN'T play:

LT - Mekhi Becton / Carter Warren
OC - Xavier Newman (PS) / Billy Turner
RG - Roger Saffold (PS) /  Billy Turner
RT  - Max Mitchell / Dennis Kelly

Tomlinswon is on Limited  Practice and Brown is on full practice plus we have Chris Glaser now.