Someone offer some hope on the 2024 OL

Maynard13

Put together a OL for JD because he’s absolutely horrific at it. It has to be rebuilt and that includes the subs. Thus far, we have Tippman at Center and ABT will be back at G. Do we resign Becton, McGovern, is Lake still on contract? Who do we draft? Who do we sign that’s available in FA? Give the OL coaching job to Obi Wan Kinobe - he’s our only hope. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, jetspenguin said:

LT- Becton franchised
LG - AVT
C - T-I-P-P-Y
RG - Free Agent
RT - 1st round draft pick

Like it or not, get used to it because as long as they are healthy, this is your week 1 2024 starting lineup.

Sent from the FOREVER AND EVER Suicide Watch desk.

AVT played RG this year but seems the liked pairing him with Becton at RT. Whoever that FA they sign, he better be really a top notch player. 

1 hour ago, Maynard13 said:

Put together a OL for JD because he’s absolutely horrific at it. It has to be rebuilt and that includes the subs. Thus far, we have Tippman at Center and ABT will be back at G. Do we resign Becton, McGovern, is Lake still on contract? Who do we draft? Who do we sign that’s available in FA? Give the OL coaching job to Obi Wan Kinobe - he’s our only hope. 

Interesting cause it seems vector worked, AVT worked and Tippmann, all draft picks

I know line has not been great with injuries but they happen

FA looks pretty bad next year for the oline, even at guard.  We have to use the 1st rounder on a tackle, no choice in the matter.

A lot will depend on how Carter Waren holds up for the rest of this season.   Mitchell has shown he can't do it.

Maybe we bring back McGovern to play guard.

Joe Alt.  Healthy AVT.  Tippmann hopefully taking that next step and getting even better.

I'd bring back Becton at RT where he'd be solid.  Tomlinson is the wild card.  You can cut him but you don't have much money to play with for his replacement.  Unless you want to go Alt round 1 and then best available LG round 3, but even if you hit you now have two rookies holding down the left side.

My guess is Tomlinson is back and we roll with:

Alt - Tomlinson - Tippmann - AVT - Becton

Next year is make or break for AVT, much like this one was make or break for Becton.  Dude HAS to stay on the field.  

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

Nothing short of impossible to predict at this point.

Could easily see Douglas trading down and grabbing a pair of OL in rounds 1 and 2 while adding some bodies in FA.

If you come away with a pair of blockers like Taliese Fuaga and Cooper Beebe and add them to Tippman, AVT, Warren and possibly Becton, you could be in very good shape.

Sign Becton to a 3yr $36M deal to play RT. Draft a LT in the first round. Draft an iOL in the 3rd round.
LT: Alt                 Warren
LG: Laken.          
C.: Tippmann.     Van Pran
RG: AVT               Hansen
RT: Becton.          Mitchell

No starting LT in today's league is going to play for 11 mil per. Not if their best years are still in front of them.

Sent from the FOREVER AND EVER Suicide Watch desk.

11 hours ago, Maynard13 said:

That’s pretty silly.  The issue has been the injuries not the quality of the players.  If AVT can stay healthy and they pick up a top guard and tackle this oline will do well.  They just have to play together and not keep getting shuffled around.

We can only hope JD does the smart thing and picks ALT in round 1.  But, I have a feeling he will go for the best WR still on the board.  I am not saying the Jets couldn't use one but what good would it be if you can't keep your QB vertical.

11 hours ago, GreenFish said:

Sign Becton to a 3yr $36M deal to play RT. Draft a LT in the first round. Draft an iOL in the 3rd round.

LT: Alt                 Warren

LG: Laken.          

C.: Tippmann.     Van Pran

RG: AVT               Hansen

RT: Becton.          Mitchell

Start Van Pran and move AVT to LG where he has said that's his preferred position and move Tippman to RG. AVT's rookie season was at LG, he stayed healthy and was lights out. Van Pran may have been the top center coming out last year, but decided to go back to school.

Ask Laken to restructure and he backs up. His signing was terrible and they can not get off it, but who knew he would be this bad. At least he is reliable to start every week.

Hanson looked decent against the Texans in pass pro. Lets see if they found something with him if he can keep it going the rest of the way.

Resign McGovern to another cheap deal as a backup.

• Upvote 1

39 minutes ago, Green Truth said:

Start Van Pran and move AVT to LG where he has said that's his preferred position and move Tippman to RG. AVT's rookie season was at LG, he stayed healthy and was lights out. Van Pran may have been the top center coming out last year, but decided to go back to school.

Ask Laken to restructure and he backs up. His signing was terrible and they can not get off it, but who knew he would be this bad. At least he is reliable to start every week.

Hanson looked decent against the Texans in pass pro. Lets see if they found something with him if he can keep it going the rest of the way.

Resign McGovern to another cheap deal as a backup.

T*I*P*P*Y to RG?  He is our starting center for the next decade plus.  Hes the next Kevin Mawae.

Its not even a thought to play him anywhere but C moving forward.

I don't know if it will inspire "hope", but trying to keep this realistic. I don't know that it will necessarily be a massive improvement until they figure out how to keep guys healthy, make changes to their coaching/training, etc., because the biggest issue with this OL is not talent, its chemistry and availability. Saleh and his staff will enter 2024 on their final life line, so it may be difficult to lure another OL coach given the potential lack of job security... 

LT: Mekhi Becton, Carter Warren
LG: Laken Tomlinson, Cooper Beebe
OC: Joe Tippmann, Wes Schweitzer (C/G) 
RG: Alijah Vera-Tucker
RT: Taliese Fuaga, Halapoulivaati Vaitai (T/G) 

• I think Mekhi comes back on a 1-year guaranteed deal. He's still young, and if he can show another year of staying healthy and continued improvement he'll get a massive contract. I also think Aaron will have an influence on his decision. 
  • I don't think they move on from Tomlinson because of his availability and dead cap hit, but I do think they will make it a priority to draft an interior lineman with upside who could even challenge for a starting job. My guess is Beebe goes in the 3rd round, and I wouldn't rule out us using both our top picks on OL. 
  • Going to have to run it back with Tippmann and Schweitzer at C. Maybe they move on from Schweitzer after a camp battle, either way my guess is they would carry a 3rd center on the PS. 
  • In an ideal world I would move AVT back to LG, but my guess is he stays at RG while the Jets focus on bringing in more quality backups. 
  • I think Taliese Fuaga is going to be a guy they really like in the draft, and I think they will be OK with taking him even if he's an RT only guy. He's an elite run blocker with a nasty demeanor who can play right away and be a tone setter. He's a good athlete and while may struggle with speed, has the traits to improve. I think the Jets bring in a guy like Vaitai to compete with Mitchell to be a more versatile G/T backup. Maybe Mitchell sticks on the PS, but I would imagine Vaitai would win that spot if he were healthy. 

• Upvote 1

Immediate need is two tackles.......some of the interior line(Tomlinson) can be upgraded as well but you can't fix everything in one offseason

LT: 1st Round Pick (Alt is a dream pick here)

LG: Tomlinson

C : Tippmann

RG : AVT (FA placeholder until he's cleared)

RT: Jonah Williams (FA)

Doesn't seem as daunting when you focus your priority on replacing the two tackles...

• Upvote 1

Albert Breer ⁦‪@AlbertBreer‬⁩

I've felt this way for a while, and I think it's really showing up today: The NFL has an offensive line issue. All the reductions in practice time and contact have wreaked havoc on teams ability to develop OL depth, and that's made injuries catostrophic.

It's a real problem.

12/10/23, 7:17 PM

I’d also add the lack of practice time & contact have added to the OL injuries throughout the league. Can’t expect 330 lb guys bodies to go from basically jogging in practice to hitting at 100+mph on Sundays. 

• Upvote 3

I think we can come to terms with a deal with Becton. Probably an overpay by some since he is rarely healthy. But still likely a discount to what he is when healthy. I think he resigns bc Rodgers likes him. And that we need OL help bad.

Next I think we for sure draft a OT in Round 1. Being it's a rookie we can play him at RT and keep Becton at LT. Making the OL this.

LT; Becton

LG: Tomlinson

OC: Tipp

RG: AVT

RT: 1st Round rookie

We need OG depth bad. Schweitzer will be back I guess and I actually wouldn't mind resigning McGovern either as C and OG depth. Warren is a decent enough of a backup as well and should only get better. But IMO we need another really good depth OT.

1. Our own FAs: I don't see Becton coming back. I just want to start there. So let's assume he is gone. Brown is also done. I'm assuming he retires. Turner, goodbye, he should not be playing in the NFL. I try to bring back Connor McGovern as depth, but I doubt he agrees. Let's assume he walks to start at C somewhere else. So our starters are  ???, Tomlinson, Tippmann and his glorious head of hair, AVT, ???. We just lost two starters. *Depth: Mitchell, Warren, Schweitzer. 

2. FA: I'm NOT going into the draft relying on a staring O-lineman. You just can't do that. TOP priority is a full court press, going ALL OUT after Jonah Williams. I give him top dollar, tell him we are making a major run for the SB, tell him he will be playing with GW, Hall and Rodgers. Tell him whatever he wants to hear and get him signed. Priority #2 is a RT. I'm going after Cameron Flemming OR George Fant. Very solid mid level vet FA OTs who can be plugged in at RT. Versatile enough to play well in our system. So our starters are  JW, Tomlinson, Tippmann and his glorious head of hair, AVT, Fant/Flem./FA. We just gained two starters. *Depth: Mitchell, Warren, Schweitzer.

*NOTE: This is the majority of our 'big FA' moves this offseason before everyone bites my head off about not being able to afford two FA OTs, etc. etc. The rest will be moves to bring back our own players, the draft maybe a couple of minor trades for late draft picks and signing depth role players on the cheap.

3. DRAFT: Now we have some flexibility as far as the draft. Our major needs coming into FA were WR and O-line, We addressed O-line but did not really address WR. Maybe JD adds a FA, but this is about the o-line and that is where the focus should be.

Now- We will probably be selecting in the early teens. I assume NO TRADES because those are way too difficult to predict. I'm going OFFENSE. In the early teens we will probably have a shot at a top tier OG, that 'second tier' of OTs, that 'second tier' of WRs after Harrison and Malik Nabers, and that 'second tier' of QB's after Caleb and Maye (maybe Daniels will also be gone). So what's the plan? The plan doesn't change. I am taking an OT or WR. Best player on my board. I'd love if Latham slid to us, I'd love Fuaga, I'd love Odunze or Keon Coleman. I make sure if a WR is taken early, that I address O-line in Rd. 3 and vice versa. You should be able to get a solid WR or O-line prospect in Rd. 3. 

12 hours ago, Maynard13 said:

LT - JOE ALT or who ever they draft with their 1st rounder

LG - I dont know.  Camp fight

C- Tippmann and his glorious head of hair

RG - AVT or FA/Draft

RT - BECTON or FA/Draft

30 minutes ago, football guy said:

I don't know if it will inspire "hope", but trying to keep this realistic. I don't know that it will necessarily be a massive improvement until they figure out how to keep guys healthy, make changes to their coaching/training, etc., because the biggest issue with this OL is not talent, its chemistry and availability. Saleh and his staff will enter 2024 on their final life line, so it may be difficult to lure another OL coach given the potential lack of job security... 

LT: Mekhi Becton, Carter Warren
LG: Laken Tomlinson, Cooper Beebe
OC: Joe Tippmann, Wes Schweitzer (C/G) 
RG: Alijah Vera-Tucker
RT: Taliese Fuaga, Halapoulivaati Vaitai (T/G) 

• I think Mekhi comes back on a 1-year guaranteed deal. He's still young, and if he can show another year of staying healthy and continued improvement he'll get a massive contract. I also think Aaron will have an influence on his decision. 
  • I don't think they move on from Tomlinson because of his availability and dead cap hit, but I do think they will make it a priority to draft an interior lineman with upside who could even challenge for a starting job. My guess is Beebe goes in the 3rd round, and I wouldn't rule out us using both our top picks on OL. 
  • Going to have to run it back with Tippmann and Schweitzer at C. Maybe they move on from Schweitzer after a camp battle, either way my guess is they would carry a 3rd center on the PS. 
  • In an ideal world I would move AVT back to LG, but my guess is he stays at RG while the Jets focus on bringing in more quality backups. 
  • I think Taliese Fuaga is going to be a guy they really like in the draft, and I think they will be OK with taking him even if he's an RT only guy. He's an elite run blocker with a nasty demeanor who can play right away and be a tone setter. He's a good athlete and while may struggle with speed, has the traits to improve. I think the Jets bring in a guy like Vaitai to compete with Mitchell to be a more versatile G/T backup. Maybe Mitchell sticks on the PS, but I would imagine Vaitai would win that spot if he were healthy. 

You're thinking Fuaga in the top 10?  I don't think I see it.  I think he will be more back half/day 2 guy that might eventually end up at G.  You might be right, but I see him as neither safe nor exciting.  Going that high he should at least be one or the other.

People need to stop acting like we will have a shot at Alt. He is going top 5, maybe he slides to 8??? unlikely.  The Jets will be selecting in the early teens. We need to be thinking about Fuaga, Latham and Mims as our options at OT. 

I'm a believer after watching the Texans game. We will lose to the fins and win 2 of our last 3 games ending the season with a 7-10 record. This is about as much as I can 'believe'. But this will boot us out of any chance for Alt, Fashanu, a top 2 QB, or Harrison. And I think we should assume Nabers will be off the board as well. And guys like Daniels and Bowers might also be gone. 

Just Saying Bernie Sanders GIF by Saturday Night Live

• Upvote 1