Is There any way Mekhi Becton is With Jets in 2024?

Mekhi-Becton.jpg

Let’s start off by making it clear that we fully expect Mekhi Becton to play elsewhere in 2024.  The odds of him returning to the Jets have got to be incredibly slim for a myriad of reasons.  Starting with his comments on the team prior to the start of the season.

It was in an interview with Bob Glauber of Newsday that Becton raked the Jets over the coals.  He talked of the team ignoring his complaints of an injured knee that led to the injury getting worse and costing him a full season.  He offered a tepid response to a question his relationship with the front office at the time.

107 of Breece Hall's 178 yards came to the left side against the Patriots yesterday. Strong finish to the season for Mekhi Becton

Could he return to the @nyjets in 2024?

As a starter I would guess no. As a guy who can come in and compete? More likely but still slim chance.

— Glenn Naughton (@JNRadio_Glenn) January 8, 2024

Blaming the Jets and giving the impression his feelings toward the club were anything less than glowing could not have gone down well inside the walls of 1 Jets Drive even despite the big man dropping fifty pounds.

From the Jets perspective, Becton was a huge injury risk who had just missed the two previous seasons with the aforementioned knee injury.  The team likely felt they’d stuck it out with a guy whose commitment was questioned while they allowed him to work his way back.  And just before he was set to step on the field for the first time in over a year, the interview dropped.  Not a great look for Becton.

Then there was the tweet.  Becton, working at right tackle early on to accommodate left tackle Duane Brown tweeted to his followers “I. AM. A. LEFT. TACKLE.”, which could not have gone down well with a team that was trying to get Becton on the other side.

To the surprise of many, Becton would miss just one start in 2024 while playing on both the left and right sides of the offensive line.  Prior to a late-season meltdown in which he surrendered six sacks over a four game stretch, Becton was solid yet unspectacular through the season’s first dozen or so games.

Whether it was fatigue, injury or disinterest, Becton fell apart as the season came to a close with the exception of the team’s season-ending victory over the Patriots.  In that instance, the Jets pounded the ball all day long with several big runs coming on Becton’s side.  A strong finish to a far from perfect season.

But now, with free agency approaching, the Jets and Becton will likely part ways.  But is there a road to a Becton return?  Despite it being a very narrow road, yes there is.

The Jets just played a season in which they used 14 different offensive linemen and started 13 different O-line combinations.   If the Jets learned anything at all this season, it should have been the importance of depth up front.

Given Becton’s poor play down the stretch, there’s a chance he won’t generate the market he’d hoped to at the season’s outset.  Just yesterday Becton said that he would like to return to the Jets in hopes of playing with Aaron Rodgers.

In a weak free agent market, offering Becton a one-year deal with no guarantee to start might be in the Jets best interest.  And it may be in Becton’s too.  He’d likely be competing with a rookie or journeyman free agent.

Should he fail to win a starting job, the Jets would have a veteran backup who may, with a lighter workload, be able to have a massive impact as an jumbo package or swing tackle.

Will it happen?  Unlikely.  Should it be completely ruled out?  Perhaps not.

The post Is There any way Mekhi Becton is With Jets in 2024? appeared first on JetNation.com - New York Jets Blog & Forum.

Click here to read the full story...

All signs point to him being as good as gone.  But these are the Jets we are talking about.  Their actions seem to indicate they are hell bent on running it back almost exactly as is and thinking everything will magically be better.

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 2

Becton’s not going to get paid a lot. And he does seem to give a crap about Rodgers. Perhaps he is back as the Jets swing tackle next year, but I don’t think I’m good with giving him a starting job anymore. He put some really brutal tape out there this year

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, JetNation said:

Mekhi-Becton.jpg

Let’s start off by making it clear that we fully expect Mekhi Becton to play elsewhere in 2024.  The odds of him returning to the Jets have got to be incredibly slim for a myriad of reasons.  Starting with his comments on the team prior to the start of the season.

It was in an interview with Bob Glauber of Newsday that Becton raked the Jets over the coals.  He talked of the team ignoring his complaints of an injured knee that led to the injury getting worse and costing him a full season.  He offered a tepid response to a question his relationship with the front office at the time.

107 of Breece Hall's 178 yards came to the left side against the Patriots yesterday. Strong finish to the season for Mekhi Becton

As a starter I would guess no. As a guy who can come in and compete? More likely but still slim chance.

Blaming the Jets and giving the impression his feelings toward the club were anything less than glowing could not have gone down well inside the walls of 1 Jets Drive even despite the big man dropping fifty pounds.

From the Jets perspective, Becton was a huge injury risk who had just missed the two previous seasons with the aforementioned knee injury.  The team likely felt they’d stuck it out with a guy whose commitment was questioned while they allowed him to work his way back.  And just before he was set to step on the field for the first time in over a year, the interview dropped.  Not a great look for Becton.

Then there was the tweet.  Becton, working at right tackle early on to accommodate left tackle Duane Brown tweeted to his followers “I. AM. A. LEFT. TACKLE.”, which could not have gone down well with a team that was trying to get Becton on the other side.

To the surprise of many, Becton would miss just one start in 2024 while playing on both the left and right sides of the offensive line.  Prior to a late-season meltdown in which he surrendered six sacks over a four game stretch, Becton was solid yet unspectacular through the season’s first dozen or so games.

Whether it was fatigue, injury or disinterest, Becton fell apart as the season came to a close with the exception of the team’s season-ending victory over the Patriots.  In that instance, the Jets pounded the ball all day long with several big runs coming on Becton’s side.  A strong finish to a far from perfect season.

But now, with free agency approaching, the Jets and Becton will likely part ways.  But is there a road to a Becton return?  Despite it being a very narrow road, yes there is.

The Jets just played a season in which they used 14 different offensive linemen and started 13 different O-line combinations.   If the Jets learned anything at all this season, it should have been the importance of depth up front.

Given Becton’s poor play down the stretch, there’s a chance he won’t generate the market he’d hoped to at the season’s outset.  Just yesterday Becton said that he would like to return to the Jets in hopes of playing with Aaron Rodgers.

In a weak free agent market, offering Becton a one-year deal with no guarantee to start might be in the Jets best interest.  And it may be in Becton’s too.  He’d likely be competing with a rookie or journeyman free agent.

Should he fail to win a starting job, the Jets would have a veteran backup who may, with a lighter workload, be able to have a massive impact as an jumbo package or swing tackle.

The post Is There any way Mekhi Becton is With Jets in 2024? appeared first on JetNation.com - New York Jets Blog & Forum.

Man I hope not. Just bad. 

• I believe Becton was hurt but wanted to prove to the market that he could play a whole season, like good NFL players do.  So rather than tap out like he did in prior seasons, he played through.  Unfortunately, his play hurt was not that good.  
  • He played better in the beginning of the season, and he played better as a rookie.   I think he was still working out his kinks.  I think if he trains again like last year he starts next season better than he ended this one.
  • Is he worth a big contract?  No.  But he is worth a chance at a fair salary-maybe incentive based. 
  • The Jets blew it by winning 1-2 meaningless games that took them out of the game to draft a starting LT.  They are not signing one in FA.  They are not drafting one.  I think Becton and Bakhtiari could man the position next season.  
  • So tell Becton to go to the market, and we will pay him $1mm than his highest bid.  One year prove it deal.  It probably will not work. 
  • Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

His lateral speed is gone, if he ever had any to begin with.  He can not block speedy edge rushers even to a minimum.  He is lost against decent edge rusher.  I don't want him even as a back-up OT.  The only way I'd consider keeping him on is as an experiment on the inside of the line and for a limited, short term contract.  Otherwise, his presence is as good as a crippled QB.  You want to lose Rodgers again ???

• Upvote 3

On 1/8/2024 at 12:03 PM, JetNation said:

Mekhi-Becton.jpg

We kept Wilson as #2 and made no attempt to bring in a veteran even after he was clearly struggling. There is your answer. Becton is one of the worst LT in football but JD picked him

The league as a whole is desperate for offensive linemen, because the way the league has evolved, the defensive line generally has more talent than the offensive line. He'll get paid somewhere and the team that signs him will rue the day because he'll just revert to type and be lackadaisical with how he prepares for the games. I hope it isn't the Jets, but I suspect that Douglas will be fooled once more and will give him a contract.

10 minutes ago, Aussie Jet said:

The league as a whole is desperate for offensive linemen, because the way the league has evolved, the defensive line generally has more talent than the offensive line. He'll get paid somewhere and the team that signs him will rue the day because he'll just revert to type and be lackadaisical with how he prepares for the games. I hope it isn't the Jets, but I suspect that Douglas will be fooled once more and will give him a contract.

The NFL expanded franchises out of greed and there will never be enough offensive linemen who actually belong in the NFL ever again. Pretty much the same thing with QB's. 

The players with bad performances want out of here and some of them will be coached up.

Not good  for the jet organization they don't seem to be addressing it or acknowledging it.

The offense is a laughing stock with some good players how is this happening.

I will not be shocked at all if either or both of Zach Wilson and Becton are on the Jets roster in 2024.  

May not be the most likely outcome, but IMO neither would be a shocking outcome either.

For clarity, I do not support the idea of either being Jets in 2024.

• Upvote 3

3 hours ago, Warfish said:

I will not be shocked at all if either or both of Zach Wilson and Becton are on the Jets roster in 2024.  

May not be the most likely outcome, but IMO neither would be a shocking outcome either.

For clarity, I do not support the idea of either being Jets in 2024.

I wouldn’t even say it’s unlikely. 50-50 isn’t far fetched with this regime. People need to separate “what should” from “what will”. Nothing that this regime does “should” happen. 

• Upvote 1