Cimini: Rumblings Of R1 Trade Down

Not all draft positions have finalized and Semeni thinks Jets are trading down in R1. He seems bored.  

Also, JD is dumb AF and wouldn’t trade down. He thinks we are one superstar away from being SB contenders. I’d put that number to around 3 just on offense alone and then probably about 10 more starting capable depth player. 

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Barry McCockinner said:

Lol 1st off, love Connor, he calls into my show. He had Mike Tanny on his show too, Cimini never responds to my requests lol

2ndly, I would 100% consider trading down. I'd drop to the early 20s if the haul was good enough. I like a lot of OL, idk if the Jets gamble on that though.

Didn’t we in essence “trade down” just last year as part of the Rodgers trade?

I can see us doing something similar this year. Say swap our #10 for the Raider’s #13 (let them come up for Penix or McCarthy in front of MIN and DEN), and trade us Adams.  We would also need to toss in a future 2 that could become a 1, and some other mid round pick(s), but we can get a quality starting OL later in the first.

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1

9 hours ago, David Harris said:

JD wanted to trade down last year. Takes 2.

Technically he did trade down last year.  Pick swap and got Rodgers.  Much as this guy might not like it, I consider that a trade down.  Even if you don't, it doesn't seem like doing something for four years warrants a "NEVER" in all caps.

• Upvote 2

Once again, ive played the simulators dozens of times each day. No matter what you always do better with a trade down to grab a second.

The difference between 10 and say 19 isnt monumental, so it makes sense and we have too many needs

what dumb jd needs to do is go on a MAJOR smokescreen display and show lots of interest in QBs. At 10, if teams suspect the jets will grab their qb, they will trade. honestly a qb in round 1 is what he should do anyways but...

• Upvote 1

With the amount of offensive needs we should trade down in the 1st + tag and trade Huff + even look to trade someone like DJ Reed (who I really like but we need to focus on offense).

The first 100 picks will have A LOT of OL talent and we could build a beast.

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, HighPitch said:

Once again, ive played the simulators dozens of times each day. No matter what you always do better with a trade down to grab a second.

The difference between 10 and say 19 isnt monumental, so it makes sense and we have too many needs

what dumb jd needs to do is go on a MAJOR smokescreen display and show lots of interest in QBs. At 10, if teams suspect the jets will grab their qb, they will trade. honestly a qb in round 1 is what he should do anyways but...

I think there’s going to be trades in place for douglas before the draft, and the condition he will have is that if one of those top 2 LTs is there, he’s taking him at 10 b/c that’s a hard position to fill long term.  If both are gone, then he can trade back and get a day 2 pick and still get a good RT.  

• Upvote 2

7 hours ago, Greenseed4 said:

Didn’t we in essence “trade down” just last year as part of the Rodgers trade?

I can see us doing something similar this year. Say swap our #10 for the Raider’s #13 (let them come up for Penix or McCarthy in front of MIN and DEN), and trade us Adams.  We would also need to toss in a future 2 that could become a 1, and some other mid round pick(s), but we can get a quality starting OL later in the first.

Yes, we did trade down last year, good point.

We aren't trading for Adams.

11 hours ago, Warfish said:

JD trading down won;t surprise me at all.

Will make drafting a bendy Edge at ~#23 who'll need several seasons and huge workouts to get game-ready much more reasonable in his eyes.

Lol 

this place would spontaneously combust 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

Probably just smoke at this point, but if it's not, also makes a ton of sense with the Jets presumably missing out on the top 2 OTs.

It is easier to pull off a trade where you don't get ripped off before the draft than during the draft. If JD is 80% certain that the top 2 OT's are going to be gone by pick 10 and that is the position he is targeting, makes a ton of sense to move back now, rather than wait and hope a trade materializes on draft day.  

I know the Jets had McDonald high on their boards. I know they were happy to draft him. But we also saw JD feverishly working the phones to move down (to no avail) when Pitt took OT-B.Jones just ahead of them. I doubt he wants that to happen again.

The flip side is that pick #10 is not pick #15. And those 5 spots make a huge difference. At pick #10 it may be more prudent to wait and see how the drat develops. Crazy things always happen in the draft. I would not be surprised at all if we saw unlikely risers that end up going much higher than expected, pushing down other prospects - such as Alt or Fashanu. We all saw a number of reasonable mocks on this forum where Alt or Fashanu falls to #10. A couple of teams just have to value certain prospects a little higher than others.

Bottom line. Probably too early to actually make any deal for either team but I would not be surprised if JD was in preliminary talks.    

• Upvote 2

Considering this is such a strong draft for OL, this would be a great move. If the top 8 OL will be graded differently by the teams, there is no reason to stay put. I'm sure we'll be able to target more than one that fits our scheme, so a trade back may recoup a 2nd or 3rd rounder, depending on who may have slid in the draft.

11 hours ago, Beerfish said:

If the top two tackles are gone I could see it OR if a QB unexpectedly falls to our spot.

I could  also see a team trading up for an edge or cb if the draft at the top is 3 qb, 2ot, 3 Wr and te. Unlike the Jets, there are teams that have NFL quality offenses.😎