Would you take Darnold back?

Would you take Darnold back?  

83 members have voted

1. 1. If Wilson is traded, would you take Darnold back as a backup?

• Yes, I like misery
    • No, I like misery

Wilson will be traded or released this year per reports. We don’t have a backup QB behind AR. And Darnold will be in the market, again. As bad as he was, he was still better than the GILF hunter. 
Sure if he brings the Niners coaching staff with him.

If SF thinks he's not good enough to backup a playoff team, why is he good enough to backup this team which has playoff dreams with Rodgers? 

I suspect he's happy in SF and probably wants to stay out there if he can. He's local-ish and hanging around with a playoff team. Short of picking up a starting job, there's few places better for him to be. 

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, JetsFanatic said:

What is wrong with you people? Can we raise the bar?? The worst part of disappointing seasons is reading this garbage.

I mean what’s your solution for QB2? Tannehill? Sam is right up there as one of the top backups in league id assume

3 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

I'd take him over Rodgers.

That genie can’t be put back into the bottle. It’s AR or nothing at this point. I like AR and wish it never happened because this regime didn’t deserve a move like that to cover up their terrible mistakes and then things got WAY WORSE last year. The decision making in 2023 was unforgivable. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Rhg1084 said:

I mean what’s your solution for QB2? Tannehill? Sam is right up there as one of the top backups in league id assume

We can do better. He didn’t work out in Carolina, and he is going along for the ride in San Francisco. He’s better than Zach, but that isn’t saying much.

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, Rhg1084 said:

I mean what’s your solution for QB2? Tannehill?

What exactly is wrong with Tannehill?

And if you don’t like him, choose one of these instead:  Minshew, Brissett, Jameis Winston.  All 3 are UFAs who are better options.

Stretch even further and you could argue a few of these would be equally good options for the amount they’d cost:  Bridgewater, Wentz, Tyrod Taylor, Josh Dobbs, Tyler Huntley.  

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

What exactly is wrong with Tannehill?

And if you don’t like him, choose one of these instead:  Minshew, Brissett, Jameis Winston.  All 3 are UFAs who are better options.

Stretch even further and you could argue a few of these would be equally good options for the amount they’d cost:  Bridgewater, Wentz, Tyrod Taylor, Josh Dobbs, Tyler Huntley.  

Bridgewater retired a few days ago.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1
  • Haha 1

Unfinished business!  Dreams left unfulfilled! A man on a mission! Count me in!

Sam Darnold had plans to make it to the Super Bowl when he entered the NFL, but his first visit to the game came under different circumstances than he imagined at the time. 

The Jets made Darnold the third-overall pick of the 2018 draft and the hope was that he’d break their long run of futility and get them back to the Super Bowl for the first time since Joe Namath was under center. Darnold wasn’t able to break the cycle, however, and he was shuffled off to the Panthers after three years and then joined the 49ers as a backup in 2023. 

On Monday night, Darnold said that this wasn’t how he pictured his first playoff and Super Bowl experience but that he’s still learned a lot about what is needed to make it to this point in the season. 

“I always envisioned going deep in the playoffs with New York and being able to make a run at the Super Bowl,” Darnold said, via Brian Costello of the New York Post. “Obviously, that’s what you dream of as a kid. Right when I got drafted by the Jets, and still to this day it’s my goal to be able to bring a championship somewhere. At the same time, you kind of understand what it takes, even in the backup role like I am right now you understand what it takes to actually make it here and actually get it done and not just dream of it and envision it. It’s a lot of hard work, a lot of sacrifice.”

Given the way his career has played out over his first six seasons, Darnold is fighting an uphill battle when it comes to being the guy leading a team with title aspirations but he may still be able to call himself a Super Bowl champion before the week is out.

https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profootballtalk/rumor-mill/news/sam-darnold-i-always-envisioned-making-a-super-bowl-run-with-the-jets

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, MykePM said:

Unfinished business!  Dreams left unfulfilled! A man on a mission! Count me in!

Sam Darnold had plans to make it to the Super Bowl when he entered the NFL, but his first visit to the game came under different circumstances than he imagined at the time. 

The Jets made Darnold the third-overall pick of the 2018 draft and the hope was that he’d break their long run of futility and get them back to the Super Bowl for the first time since Joe Namath was under center. Darnold wasn’t able to break the cycle, however, and he was shuffled off to the Panthers after three years and then joined the 49ers as a backup in 2023. 

On Monday night, Darnold said that this wasn’t how he pictured his first playoff and Super Bowl experience but that he’s still learned a lot about what is needed to make it to this point in the season. 

“I always envisioned going deep in the playoffs with New York and being able to make a run at the Super Bowl,” Darnold said, via Brian Costello of the New York Post. “Obviously, that’s what you dream of as a kid. Right when I got drafted by the Jets, and still to this day it’s my goal to be able to bring a championship somewhere. At the same time, you kind of understand what it takes, even in the backup role like I am right now you understand what it takes to actually make it here and actually get it done and not just dream of it and envision it. It’s a lot of hard work, a lot of sacrifice.”

Given the way his career has played out over his first six seasons, Darnold is fighting an uphill battle when it comes to being the guy leading a team with title aspirations but he may still be able to call himself a Super Bowl champion before the week is out.

https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profootballtalk/rumor-mill/news/sam-darnold-i-always-envisioned-making-a-super-bowl-run-with-the-jets

One thing that I can say is Sam Darnold wanted to be here, he really wanted to be here, in fact he begged to stay, while Zach Wilson never wanted to be here and really didn’t have the mindset in the beginning to be alright here.  

So, the only reason Darnold is respected by me now is he is willing to play here and he really, I believe, would be willing to come back and play here. 

• Upvote 3

Personally, I always liked Darnold and would welcome him back as a backup/understudy to Rodgers - but I really can't see it happening.

Moving on from him when we did was a good move for both sides. It gave Darnold a fresh start, and it allowed the Jets to reset the rookie QB clock.  I was fine with it at the time - mainly because I really wanted us to pick Justin Fields.  We didn't, of course, because the Jets would never have adjusted their precious "system" to accommodate a QB with Fields' skillset and playing style.

So, instead the Jets opted for Dougie Howser, Q.B - a guy I really didn't want - and it worked out even worse than many of us expected.

Anyway, Darnold now has a good gig in SF, on a winning team with great offensive players and learning from a great coaching staff.

If it's a choice of backup up for a Superbowl team, or backing up for a team that is in turmoil and likely to sack its entire coaching staff soon, I know which one I would choose.

• Upvote 2

Personally, I always liked Darnold and would welcome him back as a backup/understudy to Rodgers - but I really can't see it happening.
Moving on from him when we did was a good move for both sides. It gave Darnold a fresh start, and it allowed the Jets to reset the rookie QB clock.  I was fine with it at the time - mainly because I really wanted us to pick Justin Fields.  We didn't, of course, because the Jets would never have adjusted their precious "system" to accommodate a QB with Fields' skillset and playing style.
So, instead the Jets opted for Dougie Howser, Q.B - a guy I really didn't want - and it worked out even worse than many of us expected.
Anyway, Darnold now has a good gig in SF, on a winning team with great offensive players and learning from a great coaching staff.
If it's a choice of backup up for a Superbowl team, or backing up for a team that is in turmoil and likely to sack its entire coaching staff soon, I know which one I would choose.

Well .. Fields is about to get a second chance somewhere... Hopefully Zach can latch on as a backup and eventually get another opportunity.

Both have sucked so far.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

21 minutes ago, Dunnie said:

Well .. Fields is about to get a second chance somewhere... Hopefully Zach can latch on as a backup and eventually get another opportunity.

Both have sucked so far.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

Yeah, neither has worked out as hoped.  

I'd still rather have Fields, even though his passing hasn't been up-to-par in the NFL. He at least makes games exciting to watch, which would be a step up for us.

Zach needs to land with a good coaching staff, like Darnold has. He needs a complete rebuild from a patient offensive coordinator and quality QB coach.

• Sympathy 1