Jets Zach Wilson evaluating trade options, unlikely to be cut. Return to Jets?

The Jets have the possibility of freeing up close to $5.5M by trading him.

Even if he doesn’t have a market, the Jets will not keep him .. it’s simple addition by subtraction in cutting him versus keeping a guy who doesn’t have a spot in the short or long term rotation and who has lost the locker room and fans.  His pay is guaranteed either way and their 3rd stringer will most likely be drafted (mid to late rounder).

So the Jets will look for any trade that gets him off their roster and saves a couple million bucks even if they need to eat half the $5.5M to make the trade happen.

Come on guys ..  this is an easy one.  The memo that the Jets have to win this year is out.  Zach is no longer part of any equation for obvious reasons and JD & Saleh have careers to worry about… in 2024 and beyond.

1 hour ago, Matt39 said:

I’m not sure why Wilson is getting permission to seek his own trade destination, but it’s starting to feel like his return for year 4 is inevitable, especially if he’s allowed to pick his spot. If the Jets don’t have control here, then the likeliest landing spot is either the 2 or the 3 QB in New York.

My guess is the offers are so low that it really doesn’t matter who the jets trade with.  Zach has been damaged over the past couple of seasons.  The media sure didn’t help. Classic case of build em up to knock ‘em down.  I also think that for whatever support saleh was spewing about Zach, in reality, he didn’t want him.

Zach's last complete game he was AFC offensive player of the week. He was injured next start and basically out for the season. My take on that Texans start was the reaction of many including pundits who'd ripped him all season. Overall he got credit for a good game and people not his haters seemed happy he did well. In other words most players and fans aren't rooting against him. Why should they. 

• Upvote 1

The best realistic outcome is the Jets move ZW for basically nothing to get his cap hit off the books. The more likely situation is the Jets have to pay a team to take him away. 

I don't see the team cutting him, eating his salary and then paying another backup. ZW may come back as a QB3. Woody can be a tough guy at the SB but he's cheap when it gets right down to it. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, FidelioJet said:

Zero chance Zach is coming back.

Getting traded or released is a still a question - but no chance he's a Jet next year.

I honestly believe you would have a team revolt/ walkout if that guy is in this building ever again.

• Upvote 1

The market for Zach is a spectrum with two toggles-draft pick and compensation. 

A team can pay the Jets a 1-7th round draft pick.

The Jets can pay a team a 1-7th round draft pick to take him. 

The Jets can agree to assume all but about $1mm of Zach’s salary. 

The Jets can keep Zach, pay him $5.5mm, and let his contract expire.  They may get a comp pick in 2026. 

So I think practically, the Jets should take any deal that assumes at least $1mm of his salary.  For maybe more than that, the Jets would PAY a draft pick.   That $1mm would be used to sign QB2/3.  

If the Jets can’t get that bare minimum, I would keep him as. QB3.  

The Jets and Team Zach should be trying to generate a market to make that happen. 

I will repeat my two statements on the Jets QB room in 2024

• I would not be investing a lot in QB2.   Worst case scenario is AR8 is out 4 games and the hope is that QB2 can win two of them with a strong running/WCO game.   If AR8 is out more than 4 games, all best are off.  I personally think that Siemian and/or Zach could do that. 
  • Zach Wilson won almost half the games he started last year.  He was OPOTW!   Yes, when he was bad, he was high school QB bad.  But he had some NFL quality moments.    I am all for moving on from him, but let’s not throw the baby out with the bath water.  I think off the bench, he can win 2/4, 2/5 games.  He has statistically done that, even if his QB stats were horrible.  
    • But the bigger problem is that Hackett cannot come up with a game plan for ZW to win 40-50% of his games. 
  • Upvote 2
  • Thumb Down 1

3 hours ago, Matt39 said:

I’m not sure why Wilson is getting permission to seek his own trade destination, but it’s starting to feel like his return for year 4 is inevitable, especially if he’s allowed to pick his spot. If the Jets don’t have control here, then the likeliest landing spot is either the 2 or the 3 QB in New York.

There is no way Zach is back with the Jets next season. None.

3 hours ago, Matt39 said:

but it’s starting to feel like his return for year 4 is inevitable, especially if he’s allowed to pick his spot. If the Jets don’t have control here, then the likeliest landing spot is either the 2 or the 3 QB in New York.

The only way he returns is if he is the #3 QB, and not the #2.  Bringing him back as the #2 QB is not an option for anyone, and it simply will not happen.   I can't even imagine him as being the #3 option either.  If the Jets best is to get a 7th round pick for him, then I take it.

10 minutes ago, Alka said:

The only way he returns is if he is the #3 QB, and not the #2.  Bringing him back as the #2 QB is not an option for anyone, and it simply will not happen.   I can't even imagine him as being the #3 option either.  If the Jets best is to get a 7th round pick for him, then I take it.

The issue at hand here is Zach is reportedly being given permission to seek his preferred team. Why? Who knows (unless he has a no trade clause that we don’t know about) but this is going to handcuff things if the Jets can’t make this deal on their own terms. If he’s back, I don’t see the Jets paying money for a big time backup. It will likely be a Simeien level player.

I think his exit is set esp after Woody's recent remarks. Many times a team allows a player to attempt to make their own deal. Contact other teams etc esp when a player has low value. The final decision is on the Jets and probably is mostly dependent on money. If JD can get a conditional 3rd or 4th round pick he's made a good deal but that's doubtful. There's a real possibility they could just release him. 

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

The issue at hand here is Zach is reportedly being given permission to seek his preferred team. Why? Who knows (unless he has a no trade clause that we don’t know about) but this is going to handcuff things if the Jets can’t make this deal on their own terms. If he’s back, I don’t see the Jets paying money for a big time backup. It will likely be a Simeien level player.

It’s as if douglas is allowing wilson to figure out for himself how little he’s valued around the nfl.  

13 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

Because it’s probably the easiest way to trade him? It’s not like there’s some huge Zach Wilson market out there. If he can find a team willing to trade for him, then the Jets can work out the compensation. Joe Douglas has a lot of other work to do, too. Let Zach work the phones and find his own buyer. 

• Upvote 2

Breaking news! Thanks for this. I had no idea!
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, slats said:

Because it’s probably the easiest way to trade him? It’s not like there’s some huge Zach Wilson market out there. If he can find a team willing to trade for him, then the Jets can work out the compensation. Joe Douglas has a lot of other work to do, too. Let Zach work the phones and find his own buyer. 

This is why I think he’s back. Lack of market and guaranteed money with the Jets. Gets another year in a familiar setting.

14 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

This is why I think he’s back. Lack of market and guaranteed money with the Jets. Gets another year in a familiar setting.

Let’s recap:

- Zach plays and is terrible (for the third year in a row, after they tried to replace him last season)

- Saleh buries him behind the scenes and blames him for the teams failures 

- Zach is benched for sucking

- Tim Boyle is so bad they turn back to Zach 

- Zach refuses to play

- The Assistant GM leaks a story that Zach is a gutless coward who is quitting on his teammates 

- The Jets promise Zach they’ll trade him in the off-season

- Zach reluctantly plays and has the best half off football of his career…

- Before he takes a bunch of hits and basically fakes a concussion to get out of there a week later

- Zach is MIA the rest of the season

- Woody Johnson, speculated to be his biggest advocate all along, tells the media Zach sucking is what screwed the season and insists we need a real backup QB in 2024

There is zero chance he’s back. Assuming there’s no market for him we’ll likely trade him and a 5th for a 7th just to dump the salary.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 2

3 hours ago, oatmeal said:

Every loser org has that one fan that will fight you to the death for that loser org

Ours is @Jet Nut

Who’s fighting anyone.  Never mind the painful “to the death” part.  
Point out where I’m the one fighting anyone to death or shut up.  You’re simple and tiring at this point.  
Again, put me on ignore and stop tagging me in your childlike posts.  

• Thumb Down 2
  • Sympathy 1

11 hours ago, slats said:

I heard Bart Scott on a Jets show talking about how early and how hard JD works to help facilitate trades and moves to other teams for players who don’t work out here.  He said players on the team and around the league know it too and how much players are appreciative of GMs like that.  

EDIT: I get a thumbs down for repeating a story from an ex player that somehow Is wrong and on me?  Does this fool do anything but neg rep smart people 

• Thumb Down 1

56 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Better than whining when someone throws facts down. 
I’ve told you before son, disput what I said about this time last year and I’ll listen.  Trying to make me into the only fan or trying to make what I wrote as being wrong is on you, just one more thing to bitch about without having to think.  There’s going to be plenty of theJets were contenders with Rodgers a year ago talk.  

Why would I block you ?

Me and you are like Batman and joker, we can’t exist without the conflict we bring to each other 

Happy I Love You GIF by Warner Bros. Deutschland

• Haha 4

4 hours ago, Matt39 said:

He gets the guaranteed money whether he’s here or not. The familiar setting has not been good to him. A divorce is in the works, it’s just a matter of terms. 

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Zero chance Wilson is back next year. The one guy who’d have any interest in making that happen has already very publicly cast him out. Not sure what the rationale behind a “Zach returns” scenario would be from any angle. 

Zero, or less than zero?

Woody is an idiot.  By trashing Wilson in public and saying he is gone that only negatively impacts his trading value and tells Zach he could likely be cut and be be able to sign where he wants and keep the Jets $5.5m.  I can see Woody firing JD for that alone, the spoiled brat he is. 

That is why the Jets position to the NFL and Wilson is that they would like to trade him,  but if they can’t they will keep him as  QB3 in NJ.  Let him rot.  Wilson has to agree to a pay cut to go to the team he wants.  The jets don’t need a draft pick.  They need $5.5mm.