Does any know if the Jets have been looking at JJ?

McCarthy that is...

With the Rodgers VP rumors swirling around (don't get me started) and the critical holes one the o-line potentially getting filled up with the Moses and T.Smith additions, are we one WR signing away from the Jets seriously considering the #4 QB on the board at 10? I know the team has been talking to QBs in the pre-draft process but have they been talking to JJ?  They certainly need a young QB to take over after Rodgers. But is McCarthy that guy? And is now the time to do it?

Boy would it be fun to watch Jet fans reactions if Bowers was passed on for McCarthy. lol. Regardless of how the two prospects actually panned out.  😄

• WTF? 1
  • Ugh 1

10 minutes ago, Untouchable said:

Hop on the Bowers train before we’re at full capacity.

No thank you.  Would be a mistake IMO, would rather take Cade Stover in the 4th than burn a #10 pick on a TE.

WR or OT (yes, still OT) at #10, or better yet, trade down for more 2nd's and 3rd's.  

JMO.

• Upvote 4
  • Thumb Down 1

Just now, Warfish said:

No thank you.  Would be a mistake IMO, would rather take Cade Stover in the 4th than burn a #10 pick on a TE.

WR or OT (yes, still OT) at #10, or better yet, trade down for more 2nd's and 3rd's.  

JMO.

I’m just not obsessed with the whole “positional value” thing right now.

I want offensive playmakers, regardless of what position they play. The Jets are also one year away from potentially, yet again, staring at a giant black hole at TE. Conklin is almost 30 and in the last year of his deal and Ruckert, while a good blocker at the position, is still widely unproven overall.

Bowers does everything at a high level. Great hands, great at creating after the catch, good blocker, locker room leader, you can split him out wide, put him in the slot, play him inline…doesn’t matter. He produces everywhere.

• Upvote 4

I don’t think the Jets will draft a QB at all. Maybe one of those seventh rounders, that’s about it. Also believe that it’s a major gamble to draft a TE with a top 10 pick, and I don’t think JD is in a position to gamble at all - especially when he doesn’t have another pick until the third round. I’d expect an OL or WR. He needs to play this draft smart and safe, not swing for the fences. 

• Upvote 3

8 minutes ago, Untouchable said:

I’m just not obsessed with the whole “positional value” thing right now.

I want offensive playmakers, regardless of what position they play. The Jets are also one year away from potentially, yet again, staring at a giant black hole at TE. Conklin is almost 30 and in the last year of his deal and Ruckert, while a good blocker at the position, is still widely unproven overall.

Bowers does everything at a high level. Great hands, great at creating after the catch, good blocker, locker room leader, you can split him out wide, put him in the slot, play him inline…doesn’t matter. He produces everywhere.

I appreciate your sentiment, I just don't agree it's as pressing (specific to TE) as all that. 

I'm 100% in agreement about an offensive playmaker, I just don't think TE is where you look first to find one.

Ruckert/Stover (likely a 4th or 5th in 2024) is a more than adequate TE combination in the passing game IMO.

I'd prefer WR if we're going weapon, this draft has several likely to be there at #10 worth the shot.  I'd also double down, as I'm a big fan of acquiring Johnny Wilson (6' 7' Florida State) for a WR/TE "Big Possession" Receiver role, further reducing how much I need from the TE position even with Ruckert/Stover on board.

All trying to get to the same place (doing offense for a change, lol), just different routes to get there we prefer.

• Upvote 4

3 minutes ago, Warfish said:

I appreciate your sentiment, I just don't agree it's as pressing (specific to TE) as all that. 

I'm 100% in agreement about an offensive playmaker, I just don't think TE is where you look first to find one.

Ruckert/Stover (likely a 4th or 5th in 2024) is a more than adequate TE combination in the passing game IMO.

I'd prefer WR if we're going weapon, this draft has several likely to be there at #10 worth the shot.  I'd also double down, as I'm a big fan of acquiring Johnny Wilson (6' 7' Florida State) for a WR/TE "Big Possession" Receiver role, further reducing how much I need from the TE position even with Ruckert/Stover on board.

All trying to get to the same place (doing offense for a change, lol), just different routes to get there we prefer.

No love for Kuntz? 

I sure as hell love Kuntz. 

I love having Kuntz on my roster. 

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Warfish said:

The Jets are in pretty good shape with Conklin and Ruckert at TE, and have the athletic freak they took in the seventh round last year and used a roster spot for all season. Conklin has $6M in non-guaranteed salary coming this year, I’d consider an extension for him that drops his cap number this year but keeps him around thru 2025. 

Tight End is a position that has a difficult transition into the pros. Ruckert should be on a starting trajectory at this point and, hopefully, Zach Kuntz has been quietly developing behind the scenes and is ready to be a red zone type target (at least) for the team this year. 

D9C71DC3-AFB8-4F83-96B0-1C43017B596A.webp

• Upvote 2

17 minutes ago, slats said:

I don’t think the Jets will draft a QB at all. Maybe one of those seventh rounders, that’s about it. Also believe that it’s a major gamble to draft a TE with a top 10 pick, and I don’t think JD is in a position to gamble at all - especially when he doesn’t have another pick until the third round. I’d expect an OL or WR. He needs to play this draft smart and safe, not swing for the fences. 

Free agency played out in a way that makes me think it's possible he tries to trade back, Get into 2nd round. Providing someone is willing to do it, likely related to how many QB's go before our pick. 

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, slats said:

That’s why he should seriously consider trading down a few spots and recouping a 2nd round pick. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, The Crusher said:

Free agency played out in a way that makes me think it's possible he tries to trade back, Get into 2nd round. Providing someone is willing to do it, likely related to how many QB's go before our pick. 

It’s possible, but he hasn’t traded down in the first round yet. He traded down in the second and wound up drafting Mims after a number of better WRs flew off the board. His best picks have either been sticking where he is or trading up (like for JJ and Breece). I always love the trade down scenarios, but my gut would say that he won’t get an offer attractive enough to do it, and he’ll make the pick at #10. 

• Upvote 2

15 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Haven't heard much mention of Cade Stover.  I would rather have him than any TE.  Dude is a baller and tough as nails. 

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Yea, I’m terrified of taking a TE in round 1. 

i like the idea of doubling up at WR.

if you recoup a 2nd round pick from trading down from 10, you can take 2 OL and 2 WRs with your first 4 picks. 

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, slats said:

It’s possible, but he hasn’t traded down in the first round yet. He traded down in the second and wound up drafting Mims after a number of better WRs flew off the board. His best picks have either been sticking where he is or trading up (like for JJ and Breece). I always love the trade down scenarios, but my gut would say that he won’t get an offer attractive enough to do it, and he’ll make the pick at #10. 

At end of the day more likely and very possibly better result. But, never ya never know my friend.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, slats said:

Agree.

i could see a trade down to get back the 2nd rounder

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, The Crusher said:

This is the move to make at this point because although JJ would be the smart move it’s just not gonna happen given the deal with Roger’s etc. 

With respect to trading back, there is just not enough separation between Fashanu, Fuaga, Guyton and even Jordan Morgan to not move back and acquire another pick to address a different position. 

• Upvote 2

I’ll be surprised if McCarthy lasts til 10 based on what I’ve been seeing. Good thing too, IMO. I’m not opposed to going QB but it would have to be one of the top-3 guys or - more likely - an investment in the 3rd or 4th. Rattler, Travis, or Pratt would be the main targets I think. 

Based on what we saw last year with Mayer being ridiculously high on JD’s board, I’ll be shocked if Bowers isn’t as well. The only thing that’s changed from last year is Uzomah is no longer on the roster. If they’re high on this kid, I think they’re in a good spot to just sit back at 10 and let the board play out. If Odunze drops you can take him. If not, you can just take Bowers. You can listen to offers as well. 

I’ll be surprised if we go OT. I just don’t see them taking a guy who might not see the field at all at pick 10. 

2 hours ago, PepPep said:

McCarthy that is...

With the Rodgers VP rumors swirling around (don't get me started) and the critical holes one the o-line potentially getting filled up with the Moses and T.Smith additions, are we one WR signing away from the Jets seriously considering the #4 QB on the board at 10? I know the team has been talking to QBs in the pre-draft process but have they been talking to JJ?  They certainly need a young QB to take over after Rodgers. But is McCarthy that guy? And is now the time to do it?

Boy would it be fun to watch Jet fans reactions if Bowers was passed on for McCarthy. lol. Regardless of how the two prospects actually panned out.  😄

No...AR isn't going anywhere..Stop...That's all media BS...

• Upvote 1

I think they are setting up McCarthy to be one of those players we get to watch drama unfold while after every pick they can focus on him to try and get a whimper while he gets passed over until late 1st or early 2nd round

• Sympathy 1

6 hours ago, UntouchableCrew said:

I don’t think McCarrthy makes it to 10. Kinda feels like 4 QBs will be gone before we pick.

First 9 picks will be 3 WR‘s, 4 QB’s, Alt, and hopefully Bowers.

Then hope the Jets trade back.

• Upvote 1

Penix is the kid I want to send this board into a tornado.
And he will especially if the Jets trade down and pass on him in the 2nd. Board will melt down.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

• Post of the Week 1

7 hours ago, UntouchableCrew said:

I don’t think McCarrthy makes it to 10. Kinda feels like 4 QBs will be gone before we pick.

This.

6 hours ago, slats said:

I think once day three rolls around QB is in play. They could use a long-term answer, it’s a cheap dice roll. Someone like Jordan Travis makes sense IMO.

My hope is the difficulty of the AVT fifth year option decision and how Jermaine Johnson has value as a cheap decent edge even if he’s not a home run pushes Douglas towards a premium position - but I’m not convinced he actually learns from things he’s done.

7 hours ago, section314 said:

This is the same type of hype machine that created Zach Wilson. Gosh I hope we don’t even have this guy on our board.

Hopefully he gets drunk on St. Patricks Day and gets arrested and misses the draft for impersonating a QB.

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, PepPep said:

McCarthy that is...

Nobody but you.