Official NFL Draft Rumors and News Thread

24 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

24:27:

"Izzy's another guy that got a lot of playing time last year, expecting him to take a jump see him in the facility often"

Saleh is such an obvious liar.  Is there any chance the 49ers offer us a draft pick for him and they can take him back as their DC?

Izzy = RB2

2 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Dane Brugler actually talked about McCarthy’s eventual rise (iirc) back in January. He said that he was going to interview amazingly well and coaches were going to love him. Sort of how we ended up with Zach—the scouts are meh on a prospect all the way through the process, but the coaches talk to him, determine he’s a gritty gamer whom they’d want their daughters to date, then the QB coach watches the film and says he can fix any prospect, and—boom—player rockets up the charts. Heard an interesting theory about McCarthy—that because he had so few pass attempts, coaches have more leash to project what he could be, so he becomes a product of their imagination. Contrast that with Maye, who hung with a depleted UNC offense, struggled a bit, and is now getting killed as the process goes on. The COVID year QBs benefitted from this too, especially Zach, their seasons got disrupted, tons of players sat out, so QBs were all drafted based on smaller samples playing against compromised programs. 

Hood  points. I remember Zach’s  last year, played on the road vs a very good Coastal Carolina D and looked terrible. Last year Williams, on the road vs a good ND defense, look worse. Honestly think if the Bears take this guy they will regret it for 4 years when they are picking #1 again.

• Upvote 2

On 4/18/2024 at 8:39 PM, Maynard13 said:

If the trade is there, do it. The talent in WR and OT is there to do that in rd 1 & 2.  But it would be advantagous to take the WR first ( Thomas, Mitchell, Worthy) and the OT round 2 (Paul, Suamatala, Beebe) .  The talent in WR in rd 2 is not significantly better than rd 3.  While the talent in OT is fairly similar in mid to later round 1 to round 2.  But lets say Odunze is there at 10 which is possible. You then would have to take Rosengarten or Armedgie at 72 and maybe a guard like Coleman at 111 to solidify the OL. In round 4 pick 134 WR Cowing.  

Good with me

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, section314 said:

Hood  points. I remember Zach’s  last year, played on the road vs a very good Coastal Carolina D and looked terrible. Last year Williams, on the road vs a good ND defense, look worse. Honestly think if the Bears take this guy they will regret it for 4 years when they are picking #1 again.

I think the analyst guys who love Caleb are a little too quick to handwave a bunch of stuff Caleb does poorly and are likewise too quick to say that he’ll just change his stripes once he’s a pro. He holds the ball way too long, takes way too many sacks, and runs way too much stuff out of structure. I don’t get the dudes who are pretending that he’s just going to walk into the Bears situation and become more of a traditional, NFL-type passer on Day One. Why? Because of Matt Eberflus and Shane Waldron? Are we pretending that Lincoln Riley is a bad coach all of a sudden? I do like watching Caleb, but if I’m a Bears fan, I’m a little scared about throwing him out there day one and expecting him to manage that rapid growth curb while keeping his sh*t together playing for an iffy coach who has one foot already in the grave. That said, if things go bad in Chicago this year, they can probably get themselves Ben Johnson or Mike McDaniel (once Stephen Ross fires him for Belichick) next offseason. Top dudes will want that job. 

• Upvote 4

4 hours ago, T0mShane said:

I think the analyst guys who love Caleb are a little too quick to handwave a bunch of stuff Caleb does poorly and are likewise too quick to say that he’ll just change his stripes once he’s a pro. He holds the ball way too long, takes way too many sacks, and runs way too much stuff out of structure. I don’t get the dudes who are pretending that he’s just going to walk into the Bears situation and become more of a traditional, NFL-type passer on Day One. Why? Because of Matt Eberflus and Shane Waldron? Are we pretending that Lincoln Riley is a bad coach all of a sudden? I do like watching Caleb, but if I’m a Bears fan, I’m a little scared about throwing him out there day one and expecting him to manage that rapid growth curb while keeping his sh*t together playing for an iffy coach who has one foot already in the grave. That said, if things go bad in Chicago this year, they can probably get themselves Ben Johnson or Mike McDaniel (once Stephen Ross fires him for Belichick) next offseason. Top dudes will want that job. 

Well put. Only 5 days to go.😎🙏

• Upvote 1

My thoughts at this stage are this.

Assuming MHJ, Nabers and Alt are gone.

Guys I”d love for us to draft

Rome Odunze

Brock Bowers

I go back and forth on who I want more

Guys I’d still be happy if we drafted

Troy Fataunu

Talise Fuaga

Guys I’d be ok with drafting but likely wouldn’t love the pick. But wouldn’t hate it either

Olu Fashanu

JC Latham

Surprising later guys I’d be happy with drafting even at 10

Brian Thomas Jr.

Guys I’d hate if we drafted

Any defensive player. I don’t care how good they are. We don’t need them.

• Upvote 3

5 biggest X-factors in the 2024 NFL Draft: Brock Bowers, Chop Robinson and more
TE BROCK BOWERS, GEORGIA

Bowers was incredibly productive in college, averaging 2.65 yards per route run in 2023 to lead all college tight ends who saw at least 35 targets. Any draft concerns stem from looking at the historical production teams get out of tight ends early in their NFL careers and the fact that Bowers didn't test at the NFL scouting combine. He reportedly ran a 4.53-second 40-yard dash time at a private pro day and generated a 99th-percentile PFF Game Athleticism Score among college tight ends in each of the past three seasons.

21 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

My thoughts at this stage are this.

Assuming MHJ, Nabers and Alt are gone.

Guys I”d love for us to draft

Rome Odunze

Brock Bowers

I go back and forth on who I want more

Guys I’d still be happy if we drafted

Troy Fataunu

Talise Fuaga

Guys I’d be ok with drafting but likely wouldn’t love the pick. But wouldn’t hate it either

Olu Fashanu

JC Latham

Surprising later guys I’d be happy with drafting even at 10

Brian Thomas Jr.

Guys I’d hate if we drafted

Any defensive player. I don’t care how good they are. We don’t need them.

Snl Guys GIF by Saturday Night Live

16 hours ago, SomebodytoAnybody47 said:

Lol they're human beings ya know. Not part of a secret society. 

they like to hire lots of recent college grads and interns.  Very young staff.  

1 hour ago, playtowinthegame said:

Bears fans should be scared, Caleb is a USC QB. Not exactly a pipeline for great NFL quarterbacks.

If I am the Bears GM I am telling the owner to make the pick.   Or I am taking Daniels.  Caleb is getting people fired 

• Upvote 1

Awesome question and follow up from this dude to Kevin O’Connell about McCarthy vs Maye. O’Connell’s answer is awesome too. FWIW the QBs Minnesota has passed on the last two drafts: Malik Willis and Desmond Ridder in 22 and Will Levis last year. 

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

2 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Awesome question and follow up from this dude to Kevin O’Connell about McCarthy vs Maye. O’Connell’s answer is awesome too. FWIW the QBs Minnesota has passed on the last two drafts: Malik Willis and Desmond Ridder in 22 and Will Levis last year. 

Lol. 

“As we follow the path of our lord and savior…..what does the tape tell you on Drake Maye?”

Idk, O’Connell sounds like a coach who thinks he can fix a guy when scouts think it’s a bad pick. 

32 minutes ago, SomebodytoAnybody47 said:

Lol. 

“As we follow the path of our lord and savior…..what does the tape tell you on Drake Maye?”

Idk, O’Connell sounds like a coach who thinks he can fix a guy when scouts think it’s a bad pick. 

Boy, do we have a guy for him.🤣

• Upvote 1

since this is now the official thread, I'm comfortable sharing this

The team with the #5 overall pick, and the franchise QB already in place, are going to trade with Minnesota (who sit at 11 and 23) because ... why exactly?

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

• Upvote 2

21 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

because CTESPN?

3 minutes ago, jamesr said:

No idea what that is emoji848.png

It’s a legitimate news syndicate that just released a new study proving that high draft picks and franchise QBs are overrated. 

(in terms of NFL success)