Aaron Rodgers reaction to Jordan Travis ?

Aaron Rodgers has been uncharacteristically quiet, despite the Jets drafting his (hopefully) eventual replacement. I figured someone would quote him or he would say something on Twitter. 

My guess is, since the kid is a 5th round pick who is injured and not a 1st round pick, like Jordan Love was, he will be fine with it. But then again, it’s Aaron Rodgers, so maybe he up and retires. 😂 

Not that I really care, it will be interesting to see what Aaron thinks of this. Considering Travis was a Heisman trophy candidate before the injury, this isn’t just a project. He might be the guy or at least a guy that competes for the starting position, once Aaron retires. Though I do hope the Jets draft another QB next year, in the later rounds, no matter the outcome of the season. 

• Thumb Down 1
  • WTF? 1

It doesn’t (or at least shouldn’t) matter, since most of the worst decisions this team has made over the last fourteen months spring from trying to placate Rodgers. But more to the point it’s likely that Travis never takes a meaningful NFL snap, so I’m not sure why even someone as bitchy as Rodgers would care

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 3

30 minutes ago, dbatesman said:

It doesn’t (or at least shouldn’t) matter, since most of the worst decisions this team has made over the last fourteen months spring from trying to placate Rodgers. But more to the point it’s likely that Travis never takes a meaningful NFL snap, so I’m not sure why even someone as bitchy as Rodgers would care

I’d bet rodgers took at the OL he inherited and said to JD “ you sure about this ? “ And JD assured him it was going to be solid. OL Finishing last in rankings in the NFL in 2022 was just a fluke, mostly due to injuries. We saw Rodgers very visibly frustrated, how had the OL was looking in training camp. I think JD has admitted his mistake, judging by his aggressiveness in FA and draft to bolster OL for once.  Sure it wasn’t rodgers who said “ ya pick a DL for extra depth with 15th overall pick .”  Last yr.. If rodgers wasn’t here, I’d bet would see more Robert salah influence draft picks. 

• Upvote 1

Even if Rodgers was 27 and signed to a 6 year deal, this would mean nothing.  The Ravens just drafted a QB in the 6th.  The Patriots, who drafted Drake Maye, took another QB after him in the 6th.  

Teams take fliers on guys they like.  It doesn't mean they expect them to push their starter out.  All teams need backups, as we learned last year.  

Outside of all of that though, Rodgers came here with the expectation that a young QB(Zach) would take over for him eventually.  Zach is gone, so I don't see why he'd care that another was brought in to take his place.  Especially when that kid is at least 2 years away.

• Upvote 4

While I’m sure there’s a glimmer of hope for the next Tom Brady with all of these late QBs, realistically you’re hoping that he can develop into a competent backup. Small time, but accurate arm, and hopefully he still has some wheels after the leg injury. 

• Upvote 2

Didn't Rodgers say on McAfee that he had complete faith in JD?  I'm also pretty sure (out of consideration of a future HOF QB) that they read him in to their draft plan and asked his thoughts about their draft process.  Some people look at this as if we drafted him in the first or top of the 2nd round to become his immediate replacement.  IMO Rodgers isn't pissed at all but if we want to find out for sure, why don't you tweet at him and ask for his reaction?

Tyrod Taylor has much more reason to be interested in this pick than Rodgers. I believe he is expected to do the bulk of the mentoring for the 3rd string QB, in addition to backup duties. Tyrod and Travis seem like very similar players, so I hope something comes of it.

If we're lucky Aaron also takes an interest in the kid, but more likely he will only be expected to do what he was brought in to do - take shroo... I  mean, play football 

12 hours ago, Jdeet said:

Aaron Rodgers has been uncharacteristically quiet, despite the Jets drafting his (hopefully) eventual replacement. I figured someone would quote him or he would say something on Twitter. 

My guess is, since the kid is a 5th round pick who is injured and not a 1st round pick, like Jordan Love was, he will be fine with it. But then again, it’s Aaron Rodgers, so maybe he up and retires. 😂 

Not that I really care, it will be interesting to see what Aaron thinks of this. Considering Travis was a Heisman trophy candidate before the injury, this isn’t just a project. He might be the guy or at least a guy that competes for the starting position, once Aaron retires. Though I do hope the Jets draft another QB next year, in the later rounds, no matter the outcome of the season. 

He’s a fifth round supplemental pick. A developmental QB that will not play for the next couple years, I doubt he’s even active this season other than perhaps as the emergency third stringer. Why would  Rodgers care? He was given plenty of support in the early rounds of the draft.

13 hours ago, Jdeet said:

I think that Rodgers is fine with the pick.  In effect, Travis has the opportunity to replace Rodgers once he retires.

Now, if the Jets used their 1st round pick on a QB, then Rodgers would have had a major problem with it, since they need players to compete for the playoffs.  But where they got Travis, I have no doubt that Rodgers is fine.

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, Jdeet said:

Makes no difference what Rodgers thinks. Hopefully by the time the Jets ever put Travis under center to start a game, Rodgers has a ring from a Jets Superbowl win and is happily retired.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Biggs said:

Between the concussions, the LSD trips and his advancing age, he may no longer be capable of a cohernt response.

....not to mention the political trauma he's been through.   Poor guy. 

6 minutes ago, LAD_Brooklyn said:

This was a live shot of Aaron's reaction after the selection. He's still spilling wine on his chest til this day. Travis is the future!

giphy.gif?cid=6c09b952fudspwq2wq4smh9muh

Aaron def drinks white wine.

14 hours ago, Jdeet said:

Somebody smack him please 

I'm not a fan of AR but that's my problem. But I haven't seen any of Rodgers teammates former and present trash him. This included backup QBs who have all said he was a good teammate. He had a good relationship with Zach and still has good things to say about him despite rumors Zach had issues with him and little communication. 

We should be so unlucky to have our mid-round rookie challenge Rodgers for the starting QB position.  What a terrible problem that would be.  Rodgers got an OL, WR, and 2 RBs which is about as much in one draft than GB gave him in 14.