The answer may be obvious, but anyone else rooting for Brady to be an unprecedented failure as an announcer?

Bruce Harper

26 minutes ago, JetPotato said:

It's a certainty he will be a failure. He has the personality of a fence post.

Hard to call it unprecedented, though. Most of these guys suck at this job.

I was in that boat when it was announced.

I caught him on the Herd.  When talking football, he was decent.  Now, will he be able to do that in a game remains to be seen.  I do have a little more faith he might be decent.  

I find the bulk of current NFL announcers to be pretty bad.  The Ex-player color commentary guys mostly, the pure play-by-play pros are usually ok.

And perhaps oddly, for most of them, I don't hold any "who they played for in the past" grudges really.

So I just hope for better quality announcing.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Bruce Harper said:

But most of them don't get thrown 375 million bucks before they ever do a single game.  That's what will make it unprecedented.

That's insane.   People will watch for the novelty of Brady for a few weeks, but no one watches the game FOR the announcers.  You watch for the game.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Bruce Harper said:

What would make them think he would be good at it?  The guy is as bland as a boiled egg without salt. He is one of the most boring and unrevealing interviews around. Why would they throw all that money at him?  I expect that contract to prove to be one of the worst investments ever.

I heard him try it out on the (awful) UFL broadcast and the dude is absolute paint drying. He dropped the hot take that it was important to get your best players involved early. It’s going to be a huge disaster. 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Warfish said:

And perhaps oddly, for most of them, I don't hold any "who they played for in the past" grudges really.

I was gonna say - am I the only one like this? 

I could care less about ex-Patriots/Dolphins/Bills after they retire and stop tormenting my favorite team. I don't give a sh*t about Brady. I never think about him.

Hatred is a burden - free yourselves!

• Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

I was gonna say - am I the only one like this? 

I could care less about ex-Patriots/Dolphins/Bills after they retire and stop tormenting my favorite team. I don't give a sh*t about Brady. I never think about him.

Hatred is a burden - free yourselves!

No, you are not.  If I am watching games where he is the announcer, I hope he enhances the broadcast, same as any other ex-player.  And personally I don't care much about who is announcing a game.  If it is a good entertaining game, announcers won't ruin it and if it is one of the many snoozefests we have played in over the last decade, the broadcast team won't salvage it.

• Upvote 2

Just now, Lith said:

No, you are not.  If I am watching games where he is the announcer, I hope he enhances the broadcast, same as any other ex-player.  And personally I don't care much about who is announcing a game.  If it is a good entertaining game, announcers won't ruin it and if it is one of the many snoozefests we have played in over the last decade, the broadcast team won't salvage it.

100% agree with all of this 

1 hour ago, T0mShane said:

I heard him try it out on the (awful) UFL broadcast and the dude is absolute paint drying. He dropped the hot take that it was important to get your best players involved early. It’s going to be a huge disaster. 

I will bet big money he’s going to be great at it. Way better than Romo. He’s not afraid to say things beyond the boiler plate safe stuff the media prefers. Most athletes are terrible at it because they’re lazy and don’t prepare. I don’t see Brady doing that. 

8 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

I will bet big money he’s going to be great at it. Way better than Romo. He’s not afraid to say things beyond the boiler plate safe stuff the media prefers. Most athletes are terrible at it because they’re lazy and don’t prepare. I don’t see Brady doing that. 

$50 to a charity of your choice that he’s one season and done. 

I’ve heard him interviewed a few times about it. He doesn’t come off as a guy who wants to do it and doesn’t sound like he thinks he’ll be any good at it. I’m sure he’ll work hard to do the job correctly, but that’ll only make him worse at it because he already sounds like a robot programmed only to talk about himself. 

1 hour ago, Lith said:

The problem with this as it relates to Brady is that Brady is taking the job away from the guy who’s been the consensus best color analyst working in the game today. He’s literally making that broadcast worse for the viewer by knocking Olsen down to the B team. 

9 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

I’ve heard him interviewed a few times about it. He doesn’t come off as a guy who wants to do it and doesn’t sound like he thinks he’ll be any good at it. I’m sure he’ll work hard to do the job correctly, but that’ll only make him worse at it because he already sounds like a robot programmed only to talk about himself. 

In!

2 hours ago, T0mShane said:

He did a paid spot once a week on WEEI in Boston ( I live in New England).  Very guarded and dull.  Maybe he'll open up as an analyst but I am skeptical.  Star power will only take you so far.

• Upvote 1

The problem with this as it relates to Brady is that Brady is taking the job away from the guy who’s been the consensus best color analyst working in the game today. He’s literally making that broadcast worse for the viewer by knocking Olsen down to the B team. 

Maybe but this is where you and I differ. If you hadn’t mentioned his name, I wouldn’t have realized Olsen was the number 1 guy. Announcers just don’t matter much to me.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app
  • Upvote 1

I like Brady.   He knows more offense and defense than most NFL coaches.  He does not have to be colorful to float my boat.  Just articulate and knowledgeable and able to convey what is in his noggin.  I expect to learn a lot from listening to him.  Don't hate the guy because he wins rings and porks super models.