Hassan Reddick Holding Out, Requests Trade

Just now, Larz said:

Nothing actually happened today.  Nothing changed. Reddick’s agent made a crude attempt at leveraging using the media. JD held firm 

Both sides continue to play a waiting game hoping the other side will blink. 

if the Rodgers situation showed anything, it’s that JD can hold his water and wait.  

Woody hasn't weighed in yet.  Woody is very bad with bad PR and good agents know this.  If the pressure stays on from fans and media mocking the Jets - Woody will, in fact, give in.

• Thumb Down 2
  • WTF? 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Matt39 said:

For ****s sake the franchise tag exists. Douglas and Saleh are likely gone next season. Final year of their contracts.  Tagging your best pass rusher for a win or go home season is as simple as it gets. Are you guys being intentionally crazy about this?

For ****s sake?

You are saying the smart move is to franchise part time Huff for '$22m?  Give me a ******* break.  Plus he'd probably hold out.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1
  • Haha 1

Joe is a terrible gm don’t take my word look at his record - he picked the players and hired the coach - this trade is just another example of his incompetence 

he will be gone after this year - he mismanaged the QB position his entire tenure and now is tied to a 40 year old QB coming of a blown Achilles 

• Upvote 2
  • Thumb Down 3
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

All of this might be true.

But it also supports the fact that the GM felt like he needed him to save his job.

All I've been saying is Reddick has leverage and that leverage is the Jets need to win and he was an important piece of their plan.

Problem is, everything we've seen this offseason says that JD has no ability to hand out long term deals this season. It appears that woody is not allowing this group to impact the 2025 team if the sh*t hits the fan and he has to clean house. It's a prove it year and they aren't going to give this guy big money at the expense of letting more young talent leave the building. Its going to be very hard to get an extension from a GM that probably isn't allowed to give one out.

• Thumb Down 1

3 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

For ****s sake?

You are saying the smart move is to franchise part time Huff for '$22m?  Give me a ******* break.  Plus he'd probably hold out.

In a win or lose your job season? Who cares what the price is. Huff had no leverage since he’s a UDFA. Hold out for what?  He had made 6 mill to date. He was playing for another deal. The Jets had total control of his rights and just let him leave for no reason. The cap number? Come on

The cap number on a one year deal means nothing when the coach and GM are gone if they don’t win. Reddick and his agent obviously know Douglas needs to win too. 

• Thumb Down 1

2 minutes ago, extmenace said:

Problem is, everything we've seen this offseason says that JD has no ability to hand out long term deals this season. He's not allowing this group to impact the 2025 team if the sh*t hits the fan and he has to clean house. It's a prove it year and they aren't going to give this guy big money at the expense of letting more young talent leave the building. Its going to be very hard to get an extension from a GM that probably isn't allowed to give one out.

Again.  Sure.  This may all very well be true.

Then you don't trade for a guy that wants a long term contract you're not allowed to give.

2 minutes ago, extmenace said:

Problem is, everything we've seen this offseason says that JD has no ability to hand out long term deals this season. It appears that woody is not allowing this group to impact the 2025 team if the sh*t hits the fan and he has to clean house. It's a prove it year and they aren't going to give this guy big money at the expense of letting more young talent leave the building. Its going to be very hard to get an extension from a GM that probably isn't allowed to give one out.

Which makes the no franchise tag on Huff even more puzzling. Unless Woody told him no, which is always possible too

• WTF? 1
  • More Ugh 1

1 hour ago, T0mShane said:

He was top three in pass rush win rate last season and the Eagles gave him $50 mil based on that and not his fugazi sack total. 

I buy the fugazi sack total but do you think his win rate went up when he was getting them?  The Eagles also said he can't play every day.  Should've franchised him!!!!! 

His win rate was good in 2022.  Nobody made a move.  FWIW  McDonald had a pretty good win rate

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Yes.  It was clear they weren't bringing him back and Zach Wilson was our QB (with no QB's added other than Siemian, either).  That 4-3 mark was about to fall apart, as the savvy amongst us predicted.

Well I just looked through the thread where @T0mShane suggested trading huff before the deadline and your only comment was to tag me and post this

wolf of wall street omg GIF

Only fido and oatmeal liked the OP

• Haha 3

I mean what’s Reddicks next move? JD just came out and said we’re not trading you. Is he just going to continue to sit out? How long is that gonna go on for? Don’t see an end game with him if that’s his strategy. He’s better off showing up and playing at the level he’s capable of and getting his payday next offseason. Right now he’s just losing $$ daily. 

• Upvote 3

8 minutes ago, doitny said:

what leverage? he is getting fined thats already 1 million now. if he sits the whole year he will lose so many millions more plus be back with us next year in the same situation. his agent should be fired for advising his client to do this. 

were not as bad as you think.

Huff had 10 sacks in 480 snaps. thats a sack every 48 snaps.

McDonald had 3 sacks in 184 snaps. thats a sack every 61 snaps. if Mcdonald played 480 snaps he would have 7.8 sacks.

yeah having Reddick would be nice, but im fine with not letting him hold us hostage for 30 mil a year.

Honestly I don't mean to keep repeating this.

His leverage is the Jets want him.  They wouldn't have traded for him if they didn't want him on the team. 

It really isn't that complicated.   

• Upvote 1
  • More Ugh 1

2 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

His leverage is the Jets want him.  They wouldn't have traded for him if they didn't want him on the team. 

Obviously they want him. But let’s be real this isn’t Rodgers, Sauce, GW, Williams bros, Breece holding out. This is a guy who is a luxury piece. The defensive line already consists of four 1st rd picks. All the talent in the world those guys will get their sacks. 

• Upvote 3

9 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

Which makes the no franchise tag on Huff even more puzzling. Unless Woody told him no, which is always possible too

huff had some leverage on the tag. He wasn't technically under contract and would have impacted how the jets attacked free agency. Him dragging it out would have made it very difficult to navigate. The jets just spent two first rounders on pass rushers who are on team friendly deals. They  decided early on they didn't want to tie up multiple years of money into a position they just invested heavily in. With this offseason being make or break, I think they decided they'd rather have the cap space to go pursue players at more pressing positions. The reddick trade was roughly 3-4 weeks into free agency. once the dust settled and the jets addressed some issues, they looked for short term different makers to help strengthen the team. Reddick is a rental. As I said before, he will not impact this teams ability to lock up guys like breece, carter, sauce, or wilson. Huff would have.

• Post of the Week 1

22 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

Woody hasn't weighed in yet.  Woody is very bad with bad PR and good agents know this.  If the pressure stays on from fans and media mocking the Jets - Woody will, in fact, give in.

Its hysterical when fans think the owner, gm, coach or players give a sh!t about them.  Fans have 0 power cause they are suckers and always come back.

• Haha 1

35 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

Look.  I loved Huff too.  And I get everything you're saying.

But when you go out and spend $15mm and a 3rd/2rd draft pick on a guy it tells me you do believe it's important piece.

Had they done nothing big at the position I wouldn't have had a problem it.  But they did and there's a reason for it.

He makes the team better but it isn’t the end of the world. 

• Upvote 1

IDK what Reddick can really do other than be stupid and pull a Lev Bell type of no-show for a full season.

If he does that, at his age, his career is probably over like Bell's was.

Still, there's no way around it -- Joe Douglas comes off looking sort of foolish for this kind of handshake agreement or whatever with Reddick that he would report.

Nobody these days gives up a 3rd that can convert to a 2nd for a premium player without at least having the parameters in place for some kind of extension or "band-aid" deal to placate the player enough to ensure he shows up and plays.

From Reddick's POV, he's an idiot for not staging a "hold in" -- showing up but refusing to practice -- just like Chase, Aiyuk and other guys.

• Post of the Week 1

Reddick makes the team better and that is his leverage, but there is no way in hell they are extending him and paying him 25 mil per. The Jets hold all the cards. If he doesn't report and play he will continue to be fined and will only hurt his chances of signing an extension with another team next year. This seems to me like a very bad business decision. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, RevisIsland610 said:

Reddick makes the team better and that is his leverage, but there is no way in hell they are extending him and paying him 25 mil per. The Jets hold all the cards. If he doesn't report and play he will continue to be fined and will only hurt his chances of signing an extension with another team next year. This seems to me like a very bad business decision. 

No they don’t the jets once again look like a clown show and the more this gets press the worse Joe looks - the guy owns an atrocious record on top of his incompetence 

you know who looks smart the eagles do

• Thumb Down 1
  • More Ugh 1
  • Haha 1

51 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

All of this might be true.

But it also supports the fact that the GM felt like he needed him to save his job.

All I've been saying is Reddick has leverage and that leverage is the Jets need to win and he was an important piece of their plan.

The Jets' leverage over Reddick is far greater than any conceived leverage you think Reddick has. The situation is lousy. But this message board acts like the Titanic is sinking.  This is the NFL.  All teams get hold outs and/or hold ins.  He'll either be here before the season or he'll do a Lev Bell and severely damage his career. CAA is all wrong on this one.   

• Upvote 4

5 hours ago, Dcat said:

Tell us then, what exactly did JD say?  What exactly did Reddick's agent say?  Once we have the transcript, everyone can stop making unsupported assumptions to "prove" (LOL) their point. 

Hmmmmmm I don't do this anymore but I will come out of semiretirment and I will play.....

Please watch in full, listen, and learn from the man who BROKE THE STORY!!

Remember the GUY broke the story!

And yes I'm taking names!  :) 

@Dcat @ToonforPrez @Rich Thornburgh @Biggs

AGAIN... WHY ARE YOU TRADING FOR A TOP NFL PLAYER WHO IS BEING PAID LESS THEN HE IS WORTH AND ESSENTIALLY EXPECTING TO SCREW HIM BEFORE HE SUITS UP AND FOR HIM TO HAPPY ABOUT IT!!!

This is an EMBARRASSMENT!

And no we out here shall not be pimp simps for an inept Jets Front Office on this One!

Noooo!

Good Grief!

• More Ugh 1

17 minutes ago, OtherwiseHappyinLife said:

Does he have some leverage?  Sure but he risks losing a TON of money if he doesn’t play this year and play well.  A full year of pay + penalties + a weak market next year for a 31 year old speed Edge who just sat out a year and has become a major distraction.  

What do the Jets risk?  Playing their first round pick in his place and/or using Reddick’s money to fill other needs (maybe even at Edge). 

90% of this board would take the Jets leverage.  

Agree completely.  At this point I would just unload him if you could find someone to take him.  I would prefer to never see him in a Jets jersey at all.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Charlie Brown said:

Hmmmmmm I don't do this anymore but I will come out of semiretirment and I will play.....

Please watch in full, listen, and learn from the man who BROKE THE STORY!!

Remember the GUY broke the story!

And yes I'm taking names!  :) 

@Dcat @ToonforPrez @Rich Thornburgh @Biggs

AGAIN... WHY ARE YOU TRADING FOR A TOP NFL PLAYER WHO IS BEING PAID LESS THEN HE IS WORTH AND ESSENTIALLY EXPECTING TO SCREW HIM BEFORE HE SUITS UP AND FOR HIM TO HAPPY ABOUT IT!!!

This is an EMBARRASSMENT!

And no we out here shall not be pimp simps for an inept Jets Front Office on this One!

Noooo!

Good Grief!

Pimp simps?  Can you speak English please?

• Haha 2

35 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

He cost a 3rd round pick in 2026. It’s not like JD gave up two first rounders for him. No question it’s a bad look and annoying but it’s not crippling the franchise. It would be mind boggling if he either sat out the entire season or retired. Which are his only other options besides playing for the Jets.

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Pimp simps?  Can you speak English please?

I actually thought it was quite a cleaver turn of a phrase!  :)

However, the point still holds that the REPORTER who broke the story is saying the Jets are NOT Telling the Truth here and that Reddick did not say he would play on the current deal!  

That is the point!

• Haha 1