Joe Douglas entering season with no extension

https://www.nfl.com/news/jets-gm-joe-douglas-entering-final-year-of-contract-with-no-extension-signed-prior-to-2024-season

The New York Jets head into the 2024 season with a deep roster, a quarterback in Aaron Rodgers ready to prove he's fully back from last year's torn Achilles, and expectations as high as they've been in years.

They also do so with general manager Joe Douglas in an increasingly unique position. Sources say Douglas, who signed with Gang Green to great fanfare in June of 2019, is entering the final year of his contract, a rare GM who did not sign an extension prior to his deal expiring.

All sides are comfortable with this position, sources say.

Douglas signed a six-year deal in 2019 and stocked the roster along the way, while also trading for Rodgers, a four-time MVP. But due in large part to Rodgers' Achilles injury last season, the Jets have not made the playoffs since the 2010 season.

The personnel side has also steadily built up the talent including draft classes like 2022 when the Jets selected eventual Offensive Rookie of the Year Garrett Wilson and Defensive Rookie of the Year Sauce Gardner. New York is a team ready to win, just like last year.

If the Jets have the kind of season many are anticipating -- should Rodgers stay healthy and the defense plays like it is capable -- Douglas' situation likely takes care of itself

This situation is not unprecedented, as Cowboys head coach Mike McCarthy is going into 2024 without a new contract.

Rodgers has publicly and privately expressed optimism for this season, and head coach Robert Saleh has done the same with regards to Rodgers.

"I think he's in a great place, I think he's -- not just mentally but physically -- he looks awesome," Saleh said on Sept. 5.

For his part, Rodgers understands the landscape heading into Week 1's game against the San Francisco 49ers on Monday night.

"If we win, the headline's going to be 'We're going to the Super Bowl.' If we lose, 'Same old Jets,' " Rodgers said. "So I think we need to get away from some of those outside themes and trust that the program, if it's good enough Week 1, it's good enough the rest of the season."

10 minutes ago, hawk said:

JD may want to jump ship himself.  There will be other fat money jobs at the end of the season, and he may not want to be Woody's guy.

Maybe, but unless he starts stacking wins may not be as coveted  as some feel he deserves to be. I’m rooting for him, but need some wins, just need some wins. No excuses, 

• Upvote 2

10 minutes ago, hawk said:

JD may want to jump ship himself.  There will be other fat money jobs at the end of the season, and he may not want to be Woody's guy.

Like him or not I think he has done a good enough job for somebody else to give him a shot. You would think there has to be a better owner to work for.  However I hope he stays with the J E T S !!  Just don't screw up the hiring of Rodgers replacement

• Sympathy 1

30 minutes ago, hawk said:

Could you imagine we have a great season and then he ends up leaving?  That would be a nightmare.

5 minutes ago, hawk said:

He has done his job, and done it well.  If he does it would be no one's fault but Woodys.  You do not let good people go into the season as a lame duck.

There are a fair amount of people that disagree with this.

• Upvote 1

If Woodhole the Johnson remains an idiot JD will get paid elsewhere.

Maybe Mac or Idzik will come back and really build this team then

Now those guys could really draft and make great FA signings.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, The Crusher said:

Maybe, but unless he starts stacking wins may not be as coveted  as some feel he deserves to be. I’m rooting for him, but need some wins, just need some wins. No excuses, 

there are other reasons the GM doesnt get wins, like either the HC or the QB. i looked at many publications and listen to many NFL guys and everyone of them has this team as a top 10 roster which about half as a top 5 roster.

if he gets fired and goes to a team with a QB he will get all the wins he needs.

• Upvote 1
  • WTF? 1

21 minutes ago, doitny said:

there are other reasons the GM doesnt get wins, like either the HC or the QB. i looked at many publications and listen to many NFL guys and everyone of them has this team as a top 10 roster which about half as a top 5 roster.

if he gets fired and goes to a team with a QB he will get all the wins he needs.

Ok, fair. 

1 hour ago, Beerfish said:

Unless the jets go 5-12 he will get  a nice fat extension.

Saleh could be out though, but knowing the jets if they dump saleh they would hire Ulbrich a Saleh clone.

But away with all this negative stuff!

13-4 here we come!

Their careers should be absolutely handcuffed unless something completely outrageous happens. Anything different would just be mind-numbingly stupid. Here's hoping there's plenty of reason for them to both get big fat paydays.

26 minutes ago, doitny said:

Except it's the GM's job to find those guys. So still the GM's fault if the team's failure is because of a repeated failure at the most important part of the job.

• Upvote 2