Start the fire sale

1 hour ago, Integrity28 said:

Multiple teams are down their top 1-2 WRs, there should be a market for Mike Williams. (49ers, Bucs)

OTs injuries are starting to pile up. I’d investigate Tyron smith to Vikings if Darrishaw is out for an extended period. He’s a good rental for them and is almost certainly going to play better there, because Jets. We are 2-5 and it makes zero sense not to get Olu on the field. Need to see if he’s a bust. 

Easier said than done with your cap situation.  

Trading or releasing WIlliams will consume a good chunk of your 3.9 available cap space.  

You can trade both, but the Jets paint themselves into a corner.

I understand the sentiment, but the Jets are on this path for better or worse.

• Thumb Down 2
  • Sympathy 1

You aren’t getting anything for Tyron Smith, who appears very washed, IMO. Also, you’re not going to find out if Olu is a bust this year, anyway. A lot of eventually good tackles struggle as rookies (e.g., Andrew Thomas). 

Mike Williams is a talented player working his way back from injury and still young enough that you could get a draft pick for him. BUT, I’d wait until after Thursday. Either the Jets are 4-5 and in the mix or they are done.  

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

• I agree with the Fire Sale in principle.   This season is lost.
  • But yes, I looked it up, and both Tyron Smith ($3.6mm) and  Mike Williams ($5.9mm) have dead cap hits that would trigger if they were traded or released.  Woody/JD kicked the can down the road for this "win now" season.  Those bills come due next year.
  • We could have gotten out of the Reddick bill completely, but Woody pushed for that.  
  • My guess is that Devonte Adams pushed money into the future too.  
  • So I don't know who we are hiring to replace JD and  Ulbrich, because next year, with these hits and Rodgers finally coming due, looks like a big mess. 
  • Upvote 1
  • WTF? 1
  • Ugh 1

3 hours ago, Integrity28 said:

Multiple teams are down their top 1-2 WRs, there should be a market for Mike Williams. (49ers, Bucs)

OTs injuries are starting to pile up. I’d investigate Tyron smith to Vikings if Darrishaw is out for an extended period. He’s a good rental for them and is almost certainly going to play better there, because Jets. We are 2-5 and it makes zero sense not to get Olu on the field. Need to see if he’s a bust. 

Both those trades make sense. So I'm for it. Maybe even throw Chuck Clark in there if we can get anything for him even though he's injured. 

1 hour ago, PFSIKH said:

Easier said than done with your cap situation.  

Trading or releasing WIlliams will consume a good chunk of your 3.9 available cap space.  

You can trade both, but the Jets paint themselves into a corner.

I understand the sentiment, but the Jets are on this path for better or worse.

Jets will have roughly $100m in cap space for 2025 - if they are offered something of value, I'd make a trade. Both those players don't trigger "oo no we are giving up on the season" either. There are reasonable explanations as to why we'd move them outside of a panic sale.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

And who is working these trades?

Woody looks to have taken over personnel.

Cimini said on his recent pod that if Woody wants JD back, he may say "thanks, but no thanks" after Woody took the reins.

• Upvote 3

5 minutes ago, bla bla bla said:

Jets will have roughly $100m in cap space for 2025 - if they are offered something of value, I'd make a trade. Both those players don't trigger "oo no we are giving up on the season" either. There are reasonable explanations as to why we'd move them outside of a panic sale.

this is what OTC has-highest cap space is Quinnen ($21.53mm), AR8 ($23.5mm, but he needs an option bonus that prolongs the pain), DJ Reed ($4.6mm in Void money-not on roster), Lazard ($13.1mm) and Mosley! ($12.8mm, but costs $3.65mm in cap space (but saves $) to cut).

That roster does not include Tyron Smith, Moses or Mike Williams.   For $25.5mm Rodgers can be cut without paying his $35mm option bonus-I would do that. 

Team Cap
Space ▾
Effective Cap
Space
# Active
Cap Spending
Dead
Money

Jets $51,247,996 $40,125,666 45 $240,704,087 $111,223

4 hours ago, Integrity28 said:

And yes, I have zero expectation of a narcissist turning a team around. It’s done.

I think fans are failing to take the hint about what the team is telling us about Rodgers’ health. He has a hamstring! And a knee! And an ankle! In the same year he’s rushing back from an Achilles is basically a terminal diagnosis. The Jets are one sack away from Rodgers getting shipped off to the glue factory. 

• Upvote 1

Not sure if people realize that it's not a "fire sale" when you're attempting to dump unwanted garbage on someone else when they don't have any interest.

The Jets should be selling, for sure. But they should be selling players that can actually get you something in return. I'd say the only ones on the roster right now you don't consider trading are Olu, Tippman, Allen, McDonald, Sherwood and Quincy. We need a true youth movement and a basis to protect a young QB that we'll need to draft. All of our "stars" have at least one glaring hole in their game. If you can't win with all this so-called talent, you aren't going to. Sauce, Wilson and Hall would fetch a haul. It'll suck to see them go, but this roster needs a rebuild from the bottom up. They're wasted here and not the superstars some of you think they are.

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, varjet said:

this is what OTC has-highest cap space is Quinnen ($21.53mm), AR8 ($23.5mm, but he needs an option bonus that prolongs the pain), DJ Reed ($4.6mm in Void money-not on roster), Lazard ($13.1mm) and Mosley! ($12.8mm, but costs $3.65mm in cap space (but saves $) to cut).

That roster does not include Tyron Smith, Moses or Mike Williams.   For $25.5mm Rodgers can be cut without paying his $35mm option bonus-I would do that. 

Team Cap
Space ▾
Effective Cap
Space
# Active
Cap Spending
Dead
Money

Jets $51,247,996 $40,125,666 45 $240,704,087 $111,223

Oo we are going to have to pay the piper in 2025 or 2026 depending on Rodgers decision to keep playing (Woody will not authorize cutting Rodgers IMO) - Davante Adams is not going to hit us for $36m next year either. More likely he is cut or reworks his deal to hit us in 2026.

There's time to trade after the next two games.

If Jets win both, have to stay with the plan.  If they lose one of the two, will be a tough call.  If they lose both games, it's a done deal and time to start throwing the cannons over the side of the ship.

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, AFJF said:

And who is working these trades?

Woody looks to have taken over personnel.

Cimini said on his recent pod that if Woody wants JD back, he may say "thanks, but no thanks" after Woody took the reins.

Douglas’ six year rebuild plan has certainly gone swimmingly, so one could see why there would be a hope to retain him.

• Haha 2

47 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

I think fans are failing to take the hint about what the team is telling us about Rodgers’ health. He has a hamstring! And a knee! And an ankle! In the same year he’s rushing back from an Achilles is basically a terminal diagnosis. The Jets are one sack away from Rodgers getting shipped off to the glue factory. 

Then Tyrod finishes with a better record, and the tank goes boom.

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, derp said:

Douglas’ six year rebuild plan has certainly gone swimmingly, so one could see why there would be a hope to retain him.

All comes down to whether or not Woody realizes that coaching matters.  If he thinks talent should win no matter who is getting them ready to play, I can see why he'd move on.

If he's willing to concede that Chris and Joe D hired a bad HC, he may be willing to give him another shot.

But this is Woody we're talking about.  He'll probably pay Idzik and Maccagnan to work as consultants in hiring the new guy.

What's funny is I think it was @Bronxwho made this same thread basically a few weeks ago and got relentlessly attacked. 

Most people on here live in an state of denial and/or have no idea what they're actually watching and get angry if someone is ahead of the curve to a now common held sentiment once it becomes overwhelmingly obvious.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 2

Just now, Prodigal Syndicate said:

What's funny is I think it was @Bronxwho made this same thread basically a few weeks ago and got relentlessly attacked. 

Most people on here live in an state of denial and/or have no idea what they're actually watching and get angry if someone is ahead of the curve to a now common held sentiment once it becomes overwhelmingly obvious.

He did.

• Upvote 2

45 minutes ago, Prodigal Syndicate said:

And the koolaiders like @Jet Nut who viciously attack posters who think outside of the box always magically disappear when the koolaid runs out 

But when the koolaid is flowing they say we the “negative” ones are haters who disappear 😆

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, bla bla bla said:

Sportrac is saying $55 million.

Now, I am sure there are machinations the Jets can do to save space.  I just look at it from 50K feet.   

There is work to do something simple much less taking from player A to pay player B.

This team will not be giving up this week, there will be no fire sale. Regardless of any opinions, if this team can get to 5-5, they’ll be in the hunt. That is the likely mind set of this team. All us fans may be butt hurt over how this season is unfolding  but this organization just made two big moves to try to turn things around. The GM isn’t going to start selling off pieces for his replacement to use. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, slimjasi said:

You aren’t getting anything for Tyron Smith, who appears very washed, IMO. Also, you’re not going to find out if Olu is a bust this year, anyway. A lot of eventually good tackles struggle as rookies (e.g., Andrew Thomas). 

Mike Williams is a talented player working his way back from injury and still young enough that you could get a draft pick for him. BUT, I’d wait until after Thursday. Either the Jets are 4-5 and in the mix or they are done.  

Exactly, playing next Thursday gives them a couple extra days before the trade deadline to get something done.

• Upvote 1