Wilkerson deal?

Be_a_Jet

Just a question. Not sure the deadlines or anything but I feel we should have locked up Mo with a long term contract by now. With all this spending I think it'd be great to take care of one of our own. With the amount of contracts >2years we've signed the past few days I worry about losing the one thing we were proud of before, our D-line. Idk the exact logistics, hoping someone here can explain how we can still give Mo his big money and Sheldon his in a couple years. It already look like we will probably let Snacks go after this season.

Why?

We excercised the 5th year option under the new 2011 CBA. He only costs us like $7M this year. We have until next offseason to reach a deal. I say we allow AS MUCH time as possible to pass since Watt signed his deal & Suh proves DLineman don't deserve $1OoM NFL contracts unless they are JJ Watt.

I'd have liked to see Mo signed long-term but it's not like he's playing for peanuts this season.  His salary is just about $7MM.  The extension might be a little harder now that we've spent almost all of our insanely huge cap but I sincerely doubt the plan is to let him get pissy enough to want to leave.  If his play is still as good as it's been, he can be franchised next year but hopefully it won't come to that.

As the cap is supposed to increase substantially next year and the year after, that money can largely be put to use extending Mo and Sheldon.  Not sure where Snacks will fit in just yet.

I LOVE Mo, but of you REALLY want to talk numbers which = $$$$, then I ask his agent the following:

How many All-Pros?

How many Pro bowls?

How many double digit sack seasons?

How many turnovers created?

How many TDs scored?

Now, compare his production to his peers from that draft class, and you see how he landed to us at #30. Compared to the league norm he is above average & should be compensated as such. but if he thinks he's going to see the $$$numbers like his 2011 draft brethren, he's mistaken. Not detracting from his talent, but he just went from the BEST player on the team aside from Sheldon, to possibly the 4th to 6th best player now on the current 2015 off season roster. His worth to us went down a bit IMO.

I LOVE Mo, but of you REALLY want to talk numbers which = $$$$, then I ask his agent the following:

How many All-Pros?

How many Pro bowls?

How many TDs scored?

Now, compare his production to his peers from that draft class, and you see how he landed to us at #30. Compared to the league norm he is above average & should be compensated as such. but if he thinks he's going to see the $$$numbers like his 2011 draft brethren, he's mistaken. Not detracting from his talent, but he just went from the BEST player on the team aside from Sheldon, to possibly the 4th to 6th best player now on the current 2015 off season roster. His worth to us went down a bit IMO.

I'd put him at 2, behind Revis with Richardson a close 3rd.

Who would you put him ahead of?

How many All-Pros?

How many Pro bowls?

How many TDs scored?

honestly this is part of the reason I would like to sign him now. Because we know Mo is a top DL but now we have some leverage because he didnthave a great year. But in reality his down year was multifactorial not just decreased skill. He had his injury for a couple games, and QBs were getting the ball out a lot quicker because of our terrible CBs, not to mention I think the constant losing just gets to you as a player. Personally I think Sheldon will be the better of the two but if we arent taking care of guys like Mo then what are we really looking for. Hes a great player and representative for the Jets on and off the field. Id much rather get a deal and sign him now than watch him explode this year (which I think he will, or at least improve substantially from last year) and then have to pay him more.

I'd put him at 2, behind Revis with Richardson a close 3rd.

Who would you put him ahead of?

I think one COULD make the argument of:

#1 Revis

#2 Richardson

#3 Mangold

#4 ~Cromartie/mo (pass happy league, you need CBs, he was '14 ProBowler)

#5 ~Brick/Mo ( a LT could be considered more valuable to keep your QB alive than a DE.POP QUIZ: Who were the DEs in the great 1998 Jets team?)

#6 ~ Nick Folk/Mo (one of our more reliable and highest team point scorers in the past few years)

I do wonder if it's just the Jets are having a cheap year, or are the going to trade him? - Defering signing your big name players, and tagging them although a legit process, can lead to bad blood.

I think the Jets are just taking advantage of the new CBA rules.

#1 Revis

#2 Richardson

#3 Mangold

#5 ~Brick/Mo ( a LT could be considered more valuable to keep your QB alive than a DE.POP QUIZ: Who were the DEs in the great 1998 Jets team?)

#6 ~ Nick Folk/Mo (one of our more reliable and highest team point scorers in the past few years)

There is some crazy talk in this post, lol

Trade bait? I hope not.

this is a strong possibility ... Sure it would suck to some Jet fans but we do have an abundance of good players on the D-line .I guess it depends on whether or not Bowles thinks he needs Wilkerson or could still be just fine without him It will also depend on whats offered 

I get the feeling Wilk will not take as much to be back with us. But listening to Richsrdson it sure sounds like he's always grinding (his words not mine) for that paper. Richsrdson more than Wilk is going to want to get paid. Wilk seems like he wants to be a jet for life. Richardson seems like he would want to test the open market and have teams woo him. Just judging their personalities by interviews and such. Just an opinion.

#1 Revis

#2 Richardson

#3 Mangold

Cromartie? LOL. Cromartie?

I do wonder if it's just the Jets are having a cheap year, or are the going to trade him? - Defering signing your big name players, and tagging them although a legit process, can lead to bad blood.

I think the Jets are just taking advantage of the new CBA rules.

The Jets just dropped like 150 million on the secondary and now they're having a cheap year because they haven't extended the contract of a guy who is already making decent money? Are we serious?

I get the feeling Wilk will not take as much to be back with us. But listening to Richsrdson it sure sounds like he's always grinding (his words not mine) for that paper. Richsrdson more than Wilk is going to want to get paid. Wilk seems like he wants to be a jet for life. Richardson seems like he would want to test the open market and have teams woo him. Just judging their personalities by interviews and such. Just an opinion.

This is true. But Sheldon does seem to have a strong loyalty trait to his personality. If we can make him happy with success then I think he would sign back easy when it contract time.

Defensive End Muhammad Wilkerson is not coming off the kind of season he had in 2013, which should make for an easier negotiation. If they work quickly to extend him they can roll his $6.969 million salary into his new contract guarantee, giving them more long term protection if he plays poorly. It’s a hard position to gauge but he will likely end up as an $11M-$12M a year player and the Jets gain nothing by waiting to extend him.

http://overthecap.com/jets-2015-salary-cap-outlook/

Jason said that back in January.  I wonder if his figures changed after the first round of FA.

Totally agree.  Sheldon and Mo are very different.  Mo is quiet and says all the right things like David Harris. Sheldon, not that he has said anything wrong, will go off at the mouth if the mic is in his face.  H has swagger and will want top dollar.  Mo will work with the Jets unless the Jets have made him feel unappreciated.  

In 1995 we drafted Hugh Douglas who won ROTY and had 10 sacks starting just 3 games he had 18 sacks total in his first 2 years in 13 game starts. Then in 1997 the Tuna took over and went to the 3-4 line.. Douglas complained to a reporter and the Tuna traded him to the Eagles for a 2nd and 5 rd pick. Mo is a very good player but when some compare him to a slightly less talented JJ Watt type of player it shows the insanity of some fans..LOL

I think it makes more sense to pay Mo now if we can swing it. The reasoning is that next season the salary cap will go up again and therefore his value will also go up. We will have to pay Richardson within the next 3 years also and the less we pay Wilkerson the more leverage we would have to sign Richardson to a cheaper contract as he shouldn't expect to get much more if any more than Wilkerson gets paid.

it looks like they are going to try to franchise him to me

I could be 100% wrong, but they had weeks to work out a new deal before suh hit free agency, and they had to know that deal would set the market

it could very well be mo wilks people are being dicks, we just don't know

Archived