Mel Kiper ranks Leonard Williams top rookie.

pointman

http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/insider/story/_/id/13832510/newyork-jets-de-leonard-williams-tops-mel-kiper-rookie-rankings-nfl

Insider

Leonard Williams tops Mel Kiper's rookie rankings

3h - NFL
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
nfl_g_leomar_1296x518.jpg&h=402&scale=cr

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  • Comment

We're now four weeks into the NFL season, and the list looks a lot different than it did two weeks ago, as we've seen a few rookies getting more reps (and trust) from coaches. Last season, the Jets hit a home run in the draft along the defensive line, and it looks like they'll do it again this year.

Here are the parameters, same as always:

• This is a measure for all games this season, not just last week.

• Total snap count matters. Staying on the field is a measure of value.

• Positional value matters, but overall performance and impact on the team matter more.

• Relative value matters. I ask: Would this player be a starter on most teams or on a good team?

Here's my latest ranking of the top 15 rookies in the NFL.

2971622.png&w=65&h=90&scale=crop&backgro

1. Leonard Williams, DE, New York Jets

I don't think he has been as good as he will be, but Williams gets bonus points. Remember, this defense has been without arguably the best pure run defender in the league in Sheldon Richardson. Williams has had to step up, and the Jets are allowing 3.8 yards per carry, among the best run defenses in the league. He has played 200 snaps, and they've meant a lot to the Jets, who are off to a 3-1 start.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Williams is an example of why you should draft BAP over need. 

That's how you win long term.  Because with all the player movement, a position of depth one year can become a position of need in a year or 2.  Just keep accumulation talent.

So now the board likes kiper? Ok

hahaha, good post.  I can't stand Kiper and feel he's anything but a "draft expert," but his opinions are fun to read.  As it applies to this article, there's probably a broken clock analogy that applies to our good buddy Kiper that would be approproate.

http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/insider/story/_/id/13832510/newyork-jets-de-leonard-williams-tops-mel-kiper-rookie-rankings-nfl

Insider

Leonard Williams tops Mel Kiper's rookie rankings

3h - NFL
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
nfl_g_leomar_1296x518.jpg&h=402&scale=cr

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  • Comment

We're now four weeks into the NFL season, and the list looks a lot different than it did two weeks ago, as we've seen a few rookies getting more reps (and trust) from coaches. Last season, the Jets hit a home run in the draft along the defensive line, and it looks like they'll do it again this year.

Here are the parameters, same as always:

• This is a measure for all games this season, not just last week.

• Total snap count matters. Staying on the field is a measure of value.

• Positional value matters, but overall performance and impact on the team matter more.

• Relative value matters. I ask: Would this player be a starter on most teams or on a good team?

Here's my latest ranking of the top 15 rookies in the NFL.

2971622.png&w=65&h=90&scale=crop&backgro

1. Leonard Williams, DE, New York Jets

I don't think he has been as good as he will be, but Williams gets bonus points. Remember, this defense has been without arguably the best pure run defender in the league in Sheldon Richardson. Williams has had to step up, and the Jets are allowing 3.8 yards per carry, among the best run defenses in the league. He has played 200 snaps, and they've meant a lot to the Jets, who are off to a 3-1 start.

Shhhhhhhhh don't tell anyone but we are getting Sheldon back...... OH BOY!!

I wish the dang on game was on right NOW!!!

I don't trust him. Never will. But, damn, if you're right, this d line will be insane.

...maybe the best this franchise has ever seen.

Long tewrm I think he may screw up again but for the next little while, sit back and enjoy the show because he going to abuse some offensive linemen in the next few weeks.

Would anyone trade Leonard Williams for Marcus Mariota at this point?  Pretty sure Mariota is off to a good start and QB is a premium position in the NFL. However, I think we got the best player in this draft (at least from what I can tell so far).  I wanted Amari Cooper at the time btw and he's been great.  However, we got BMarsh for a 5th rounder and he's pretty good.  Goes to show about which positions you can more easily acquire talent.

hahaha, good post.  I can't stand Kiper and feel he's anything but a "draft expert," but his opinions are fun to read.  As it applies to this article, there's probably a broken clock analogy that applies to our good buddy Kiper that would be approproate.

inexact science a 50% hit rate in draft puts you in hall of fame as a GM. Kiper's pretty good unless one wishes to cherry pick his big whiffs and hold those out as evidence he sucks. not to mention we only judge GMs on an average of 7 picks per year, that they must feel pretty confident about to choose them over all the available players. Kiper has to rank and publicly publish his opinion on like 300 guys.

even ozzie newsome gets it wrong. he took courtney upshaw over alshon jeffrey and bobby wagner in 2012. he must suck!

Would anyone trade Leonard Williams for Marcus Mariota at this point?  

That's a really good question.  Yes, I do think I would trade Leo for Mariota.  Both have big upsides but the supply/demand for quality QB's is what drives the decision...

Would anyone trade Leonard Williams for Marcus Mariota at this point?  Pretty sure Mariota is off to a good start and QB is a premium position in the NFL. However, I think we got the best player in this draft (at least from what I can tell so far).  I wanted Amari Cooper at the time btw and he's been great.  However, we got BMarsh for a 5th rounder and he's pretty good.  Goes to show about which positions you can more easily acquire talent.

One thing is certain-WR is the hardest and least reliable position to draft for the past 15 years

inexact science a 50% hit rate in draft puts you in hall of fame as a GM. Kiper's pretty good unless one wishes to cherry pick his big whiffs and hold those out as evidence he sucks. not to mention we only judge GMs on an average of 7 picks per year, that they must feel pretty confident about to choose them over all the available players. Kiper has to rank and publicly publish his opinion on like 300 guys.

even ozzie newsome gets it wrong. he took courtney upshaw over alshon jeffrey and bobby wagner in 2012. he must suck!

Excellent point....when these guys miss, for alll we know they could have had a dozen players ranked next in line who are also busts.  Kiper isn't perfect, and neither is any GM.

And he's a kid.  It's crazy to me that he's this physical and disruptive already at 21.  He was my favorite player in the draft next to Cooper and never thought we'd have a chance at this kid.  Thank you Redskins!!!  This kids a beast and he's been finger tips away numerous times at making a big play.  I think those plays start coming now that he's used to the speed of the NFL.  A bye week of film watching with Mo and Sheldon is probably going to help him big time!

And he's a kid.  It's crazy to me that he's this physical and disruptive already at 21.  He was my favorite player in the draft next to Cooper and never thought we'd have a chance at this kid.  Thank you Redskins!!!  This kids a beast and he's been finger tips away numerous times at making a big play.  I think those plays start coming now that he's used to the speed of the NFL.  A bye week of film watching with Mo and Sheldon is probably going to help him big time!

not to mention when his muscles turn to steel after a couple seasons in NFL strength regimen.

Archived