Tom Brady's suspension re-instated (MERGED)

Matt39

• Replies 656
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, slats said:

This news is pleasing to me - even though I think Goodell is a tool who shouldn't have the power to unilaterally impose punishments when and however he sees fit. 

Goodell has given that up, hasnt he?

21 minutes ago, UnitedWhofans said:

2 home games against Dolphins and Bills though. I think they either go 1-3 or 2-2.

They got no shot against Arizona 

LMAO at winning 14 games with Brady missing 4 games. You won 12 with Brady this past year. You may be looking at a 9-10 win season. We'll see if that is enough in 2016. 

I don't know if this is going to really happen. Brady is rich (including under the table money from Kraft) so he'll pay the huge legal fees needed to prolong it. But if he really does have to serve those 4 games: yippee hi-yeh and life is good!?

Just remember, this is nothing really to do the Patriots it has everything to do with the CBA. Only Tom Brady can file an appeal with the Supreme Court of the United States. Whether he has the balls to do so, is another story.

the court of appeals side with the NFL because it deals with the contract agreement with the Players Association over the commissioner's disciplinary actions going forward for all players.

They have to move on and let the Brady suspension happen. If he continues going on with this it could hurt the NFLPA, not a good thing for a player to kick his own Union in the balls. So to speak.

Sent from my LG-V410 using Tapatalk

8 minutes ago, slats said:

This news is pleasing to me - even though I think Goodell is a tool who shouldn't have the power to unilaterally impose punishments when and however he sees fit. 

I'm  surprised you don't believe in union agreements that were voted on by the membership

8 minutes ago, Mike135 said:

So is this finally over or does it go back to Berman to rule again?

I had heard a "legal expert" on a talk show a couple of months ago state that one of two thing would happen after this appeal.  If the court upheld Berman's decision the case would be over.  It the court reinstated the suspension, the Appeals Court decision would most likely be appealed at the next highest court ( I don't remember what court he said).

I had heard a "legal expert" on a talk show a couple of months ago state that one of two thing would happen after this appeal.  If the court upheld Berman's decision the case would be over.  It the court reinstated the suspension, the Appeals Court decision would most likely be appealed at the next highest court ( I don't remember what court he said).

The US Supreme Court and more than likely they won't even see the case because they will deny it being anything constitutional.

7 minutes ago, PatsFanTX said:

No big deal, Pats will still win 12-14 games just like they do every year.

Yeah, OK, no big deal.  Not buying it.  If the punishment is upheld, the golden boy will be forever labeled as a cheater.  You cannot be OK with this, not matter what kind of posturing you do here.

7 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

I don't know if this is going to really happen. Brady is rich (including under the table money from Kraft) so he'll pay the huge legal fees needed to prolong it. But if he really does have to serve those 4 games: yippee hi-yeh and life is good!?

I believe the union has been footing the legal fees.

3 minutes ago, devland said:

I think there was a 3rd option.  Basically it'd be kicked back to the previous judge (Berman) who'd then have to re-rule based on the 2nd circuit's ruling.

I can't see the Supreme Court taking this on.

4 minutes ago, BaumerJet said:

The US Supreme Court and more than likely they won't even see the case because they will deny it being anything constitutional.

It would go to another Appeals court.

"A federal appeals court reinstated the 4-game ban that the NFL handed down to Brady last year on Monday. A three judge panel voted 2-1 to reinstate the ban.

The court in its ruling determined that commissioner Roger Goodell "properly exercised his broad discretion" and concluded that the NFL "did not deprive Brady of fundamental fairness."

Brady can still appeal the ruling to a broader panel at the court of appeals."

5 minutes ago, ChuckkieB said:

Yeah, OK, no big deal.  Not buying it.  If the punishment is upheld, the golden boy will be forever labeled as a cheater.  You cannot be OK with this, not matter what kind of posturing you do here.

A slight step above Shoeless Joe jackson.  Well..no actually, Joe Jackson didnt cheat.

Read through the decision. It's a pretty solid beat down on everything Brady and the NFLPA has argued throughout the process. The dissent is not particularly well-founded IMO. The arguments basically come down the same as already discussed countless times before. After reading the appellate opinion it is very difficult to believe the apparent relationship between the trial judge and Kraft did not weigh on the decision. 

The next step procedurally is for the case to go back to the trial court to confirm the arbitration award. Brady and/or the NFLPA could ask for the entire Second Circuit to hear the case which probably would not occur and would not result in a different result if it did. Brady and/or the NFLPA could file a writ to SCOTUS asking for a final appeal. I do not see SCOTUS granting the appeal because this case does not deal with a matter of constitutional importance nor national importance. It is a single, highly unusual, CBA in which well established labor law was applied. 

The Pats haven’t won 14 games since 2010 when the Jets kicked their ass in the playoffs.

That is hilarious.

Since 2010, Pats have averaged 12.5 wins per year and made the playoffs every single season.

Since 2010, the Jets have averaged 7.8 wins and have missed the playoffs for 5 straight years.

5 minutes ago, kelly said:

2 minutes ago, rex-n-effect said:

Read through the decision. It's a pretty solid beat down on everything Brady and the NFLPA has argued throughout the process. The dissent is not particularly well-founded IMO. The arguments basically come down the same as already discussed countless times before. After reading the appellate opinion it is very difficult to believe the apparent relationship between the trial judge and Kraft did not weigh on the decision. 

The next step procedurally is for the case to go back to the trial court to confirm the arbitration award. Brady and/or the NFLPA could file a writ to SCOTUS asking for a final appeal. I do not see SCOTUS granting the appeal because this case does not deal with a matter of constitutional importance nor national importance. It is a single, highly unusual, CBA in which well established labor law was applied. 

There's all that....and that Brady is a douche.  Branded a cheater for life. Screw him.

1 minute ago, PatsFanTX said:

That is hilarious.

Since 2010, Pats have averaged 12.5 wins per year and made the playoffs every single season.

Since 2010, the Jets have averaged 7.8 wins and have missed the playoffs for 5 straight years.

That's fantastic.  Brady is still a douche and a cheater. 

Archived