What Would You Give Up For Joey Bosa?

win4ever

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, greenwichjetfan said:

image001.gif

Nevermind that he's simply asking for the going rate, and not some entitled premium. 

I didnt read the fact  pattern your honor, you know, my job and all. I "assumed" there were rookie wage scales that he needed to adhere to. If he is asking for that...then Im with him.

45 minutes ago, win4ever said:

From what I just read, family is rich (not quite Manziel rich, but rich nonetheless) so he might just hold out.

Since, this topic is useless at this point:

If he holds out the whole year, where does he go next year in the draft?

A year not playing football and another year older does not help his cause. I believe he was way overdrafted at #3 and felt he was a 10-15 pick kind of  guy. I wouldn't be shocked next year that he falls into the second round.

It would be hilarious to see him hold out all year long not wanting to play in SD to only get drafted at the top of the second round by  the Browns. It would be the perfect ending to this stupid story.

55 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

why would the chargers pull their best offer?  why not leave it for him to sign at some point?

Because the offer was based on 16 games and if Bosa's side just straight up rejected the offer why leave it on the table when he won't be ready to play 16 games this year.  They will now go back and offer a significantly different contract offer or say **** it and leave him out of the nfl for a year

1 hour ago, slats said:

Chargers are in the wrong here. Slapstick organization. Sucks for Bosa, who's the one who's gonna wind up losing millions of dollars for what is a correct principle to be standing on. He should be paid how #3 overall picks are paid, not how the Chargers have paid later picks in the past. 

Union would be all over him if he signed a deal below what his draft slot demands. Teams wanted a slowing system to protect them from themselves and some still have a problem.  Amazing really

19 minutes ago, JETSfaninNE said:

They will now go back and offer a significantly different contract offer or say **** it and leave him out of the nfl for a year....

losing their high 1st in the process.  They lose more than the player. 

34 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

losing their high 1st in the process.  They lose more than the player. 

Not really, I would just consider it the same level as drafting a bust in the 1st rd if it ends up being like that.  Drafting a bust is still pretty common even for high 1st rounders.  Difference here is they don't have to actually pay for their bust, Bosa loses a hell of a lot more imo in this scenario

4 minutes ago, JETSfaninNE said:

Not really, I would just consider it the same level as drafting a bust in the 1st rd if it ends up being like that.  Drafting a bust is still pretty common even for high 1st rounders.  Difference here is they don't have to actually pay for their bust, Bosa loses a hell of a lot more imo in this scenario

What does drafting a player and not having him turn into what you hoped have to do with refusing to give a player what he's slotted to get and let him walk because of that stance gaining nothing?  

He loses little, may wind up with a better organization while the Chargers are hodin( you know what in the I hands and nothing to show for their losing season.  The draft is set up to lead to parity and help the worst teams.  The Chargers just said no thanks. They're the big losers here today and when FAs look at this org down the road

3 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

What does drafting a player and not having him turn into what you hoped have to do with refusing to give a player what he's slotted to get and let him walk because of that stance gaining nothing?  

He loses little, may wind up with a better organization while the Chargers are hodin( you know what in the I hands and nothing to show for their losing season.  The draft is set up to lead to parity and help the worst teams.  The Chargers just said no thanks. They're the big losers here today and when FAs look at this org down the road

I don't see it in the same light anymore after the statement today.  As I said earlier, if what the Chargers released today is 100% true, it paints the Chargers organization as the rational party in this negotiation and paints Bosa as the a$$hole.  So yes I think not having to deal with this headache and be tied to him for 4 yrs of gtd money might be better then whatever the alternative is.  (fwiw I do think Bosa caves and signs at some point with a diff contract b/c there is no way he wants to lose an entire year out of the NFL, a year older and have to go through a redraft process where his character might be painted in a diff light)  

Have you read the statement from the Chargers?  They are literally bending over backwards to get him signed and his agents are all like LOL NOPE.  Not even considering these contract offers. 

In case you missed the statement:

Basically Bosa is taking sh*t advice from his agents at this point.  Bosa agents already deferred on the offset language so the only issue was the bonus money up front.  SD is saying they are offering Bosa the largest signing bonus then any player in the league has received over the last 2 drafts.

3 minutes ago, JETSfaninNE said:

I don't see it in the same light anymore after the statement today.  As I said earlier, if what the Chargers released today is 100% true, it paints the Chargers organization as the rational party in this negotiation and paints Bosa as the a$$hole.  So yes I think not having to deal with this headache and be tied to him for 4 yrs of gtd money might be better then whatever the alternative is.  (fwiw I do think Bosa caves and signs at some point with a diff contract b/c there is no way he wants to lose an entire year out of the NFL, a year older and have to go through a redraft process where his character might be painted in a diff light)  

Have you read the statement from the Chargers?  They are literally bending over backwards to get him signed and his agents are all like LOL NOPE.  Not even considering these contract offers. 

Basically Bosa is taking sh*t advice from his agents at this point.  Bosa agents already deferred on the offset language so the only issue was the bonus money up front.  SD is saying they are offering Bosa the largest signing bonus then any player in the league has received over the last 2 drafts.

If true he's the dick here.  Still the point is the same, the Chargers lose if they lose their first round pick.  

Wonder what they though of him after predraft interviews and of they should have known this guy would make outrageous demands

2 minutes ago, JETSfaninNE said:

Basically Bosa is taking sh*t advice from his agents at this point.  Bosa agents already deferred on the offset language so the only issue was the bonus money up front.  SD is saying they are offering Bosa the largest signing bonus then any player in the league has received over the last 2 drafts. 

The Chargers are spinning, and it worked on you, because you have it wrong. They're saying that they're giving Bosa the largest INITIAL signing bonus payment ever -which may or may not be true, I don't know- but they're glossing over the fact that they're NOT getting his entire bonus payment to him in his rookie year - which every other #3 pick since the new CBA was instituted has gotten. That's the hang up, and that's on the Chargers. 

32 minutes ago, JETSfaninNE said:

I don't see it in the same light anymore after the statement today.

Concluding something just from the statement of the Chargers makes as much sense as concluding something based just from the statement from the agent (which will be coming shortly, presumably).

40 minutes ago, slats said:

The Chargers are spinning, and it worked on you, because you have it wrong. They're saying that they're giving Bosa the largest INITIAL signing bonus payment ever -which may or may not be true, I don't know- but they're glossing over the fact that they're NOT getting his entire bonus payment to him in his rookie year - which every other #3 pick since the new CBA was instituted has gotten. That's the hang up, and that's on the Chargers. 

Why are the Chargers obligated to do what other teams have done?  Is there something in the last Bargaining Agreement that mandates it? If not, they are within their right to do this and Bosa is within his rights to hold out, miss an entire year of his career and probably get drafted much lower next year. 

It's a game of chicken. Plain and simple. 

4 hours ago, peebag said:

According to this article it looks like the Chargers are being cheap...

http://www.boltsfromtheblue.com/2016/8/2/12346564/the-truth-about-the-bosa-holdout-according-to-hoyle

After reading this..it's clearly on the Chargers and not Bosa.  I would be sitting out too.  Anyone putting any blame on Bosa is simply wrong.

43 minutes ago, thshadow said:

Concluding something just from the statement of the Chargers makes as much sense as concluding something based just from the statement from the agent (which will be coming shortly, presumably).

Who is concluding?  My opinion changes as more information comes about.  I was for Bosa for a while there b/c of the SD org being a sh*t show and the way they treated Weddle.  But if the chargers are offering more money up front in the first year then most other rookies get I don't see the hang up.

EDIT: fixed my response down below

1 hour ago, slats said:

Wouldn't that be the case anyway if the initial (1st year) signing bonus is the largest of any draft pick in the last 2 years?  If the other #3 picks got all their bonus money upfront per CBA then there would be nothing to negotiate right?  If I am wrong I'd love someone that knows contracts to explain it because I am not a lawyer or agent and NFL contracts are usually pretty damn confusing as is.

I think the main point (from one of the other linked articles) is:

Fact: Since the slotting system went into effect in 2012 (five drafts), every third overall pick has signed a contract in which either the offset was removed or their signing bonus was paid in full by the end of their rookie season, as Bosa is requesting.

My understanding is that Bosa wants what every top-5 pick gets.  And the Chargers don't want to do what they've never done before - because they've never had a top-5 pick before.

So no matter how the Chargers spin their offer - the fact is that they're not matching what every 3rd overall pick has gotten.

1 minute ago, thshadow said:

I think the main point (from one of the other linked articles) is:

Thanks Shadow this does clear it up a bit because at first Bosa Agents wanted no offset language AND all bonus money upfront which is unheard of.  It seems Bosa agents conceded to the offset language so in this case and for fair compromise the Chargers should give all the bonus money upfront.  Back on #teamBosa

4 hours ago, JETSfaninNE said:

Nonsense. The "first year" amount is irrelevant in round 1 contracts inside the top 20 because they're fully guaranteed for all 4 years. It's only important to get it all up front in year 1 if he feels he will be out of the league (or suspended) for disciplinary reasons alone. Because other than that, he'd get every penny whether it was all in year 1 or spread evenly over 4 years.

Reading their press release, Chargers are playing a game of 3-card Monte here. The contract is supposed to contain 4 years of 100% guarantees for a top 3 pick, just like for the next 15+ picks after him. They are offering below this going rate of guaranteed percentage, but are then trying to sidestep it and dress it up by saying, "We offered him a higher percentage (of the lowball offer) in year 1." Lovely. Except it's not a 1 year contract, though, so they're full of crap. 

For example, $10M $1M $1M $3M with only the first 3 years guaranteed is not as good an offer as $6M $3M $3M $3M with all of it guaranteed. The first offer the team can cut him after year 3 and the player gets $12M. The second deal the player gets $3M in year 4 even if he's cut (offset language notwithstanding).

Their offer is less than the going rate. Who cares how much is in signing bonus or year 1 payouts? Guaranteed money is guaranteed money. It's not like it used to be years ago, where anything outside the signing bonus wasn't guaranteed.

When they have to qualify a statement with "...[than] any Chargers first-round selection" then you know they're getting cute. The Chargers don't get their own special slotting amounts that immune them from the rest of the league's slotting system. And it's not like these top 3 picks get $10-12M/year anymore either. A lower slotting system that favors the teams over draftees; one that (appropriately) reduces the risk of these highest picks, and the Bolts are still playing these el-cheapo games.

Hate to say it, I'm starting to see why Archie didn't want Eli to play there. 

Archived