Chris Berman out as ESPN lead NFL broadcaster

joewilly12

Chris Berman out as ESPN’s lead NFL broadcaster 

00:2200:49

Autoplay: On | Off

Whoop!

ESPN made it official Thursday, announcing that Chris Berman would be out as the lead of its NFL coverage following the Super Bowl.

He will also give up his role in the network’s baseball coverage.

Chris Berman was one of ESPN's first on-air personalities, joining the network one month after it launched in 1979.

Chris Berman was one of ESPN's first on-air personalities, joining the network one month after it launched in 1979.

(BRETT CARLSEN/GETTY IMAGES)

Berman’s exit has been expected for more than a year; ESPN overhauled its “Countdown” crew in the offseason, with Berman surviving as the lone holdover.

Follow the Daily News Sports on Facebook. "Like" us here.

Berman, who joined ESPN one month after it launched in 1979, will remain with the network as a contributor to “Monday Night Countdown” and as a radio play-by-play voice during the divisional round of the MLB playoffs.

The broadcaster made a name for himself with his play on players’ names as well as his catchphrases.

HE COULD GO ALL THE WAY

WHOOP!

THE RAIDERS

BACKBACKBACKBACKBACKBACK

NO ONE CIRCLES THE WAGONS ...

And since he has a 37-year body of work to go on, Berman also had his share of blunders. WARNING: Some of these clips contain NSFW language

MONDAY NIGHT FOOTBALL MELTDOWN

RIPPING ON AL MICHAELS

Haven't watched "Countdown" in several years. 

Pre-game shows no longer have any value.  The instantaneous nature of Social Media has rendered them useless.  Unless, that is, you want to see a fluff story or two about the players. And of course fantasy football.  I do watch the fantasy shows sometimes.

Pre-games offer very little the savvy fan doesn't already know.

Like him or not, the man almost single handedly changed the sports broadcast industry.  He was one of the bedrocks of ESPN when it was fledgling and Berman has been a huge contributer to the sports world and broadcast industry.

Credit where credit is due and he is indeed worthy of a little respect .

29 minutes ago, Dcat said:

Like him or not, the man almost single handedly changed the sports broadcast industry.  He was one of the bedrocks of ESPN when it was fledgling and Berman has been a huge contributer to the sports world and broadcast industry.

i'll give him credit for that.  he was one of the first if not the first talking head on espn.  but as espn became more irrelevant and pc so did berman.  time for things to change.  unfortunately, for espn, they're going downhill.

12 hours ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

ESPN is the reason why Disney is making record money, owns Marvel and Lucasfilm, and still has a flat stock price for over a year.

Are you sure? ESPN has been losing subscribers constantly for the past 5 years... Damn millenials don't believe in cable!

14 hours ago, Dcat said:

Serious question.  How exactly did Chris Berman almost single-handedly change the sports broadcast industry? 

2 hours ago, y2k8 said:

Serious question.  How exactly did Chris Berman almost single-handedly change the sports broadcast industry? 

Berman was a catalyst for ESPN's amazing early success before it became a a 24 hour, 7 day a week non stop attraction. He was perhaps the biggest 'in front of the camera' influence they had which ultimately led to the sports empire it became.  

26 minutes ago, Dcat said:

Berman was a catalyst for ESPN's amazing early success before it became a a 24 hour, 7 day a week non stop attraction. He was perhaps the biggest 'in front of the camera' influence they had which ultimately led to the sports empire it became.  

Did people tune into Chris Berman or did they tune into SportsCenter?

I'd argue the later. THAT SHOW changed sports broadcasting. It became an institution.

The people on it, some became more popular than others, but ultimately all have proven replaceable.

"Do people say, 'I'll watch it tomorrow, I'll watch it later today, I have something to do and there's another game on tomorrow.' I think a little bit has caught up with them, I hate to say it, and I'll tell the commissioner that if he asks me."

Aside from Berman, the other best-known Bills fan at ESPN is the SportsCenter anchor Kevin Connors. Do he and Berman compare notes on their favorite team?

"Kevin will come into my office with the most innocent of faces, like on a Friday night when I'm working, and he'll say, 'Boomer, do we have a chance this week?' So we're kind of the two biggest Buffalo fans in the building, at least on the air.  He'll run through the roster one through 53. He does a wonderful job, he's an earnest young man and he's an old-school sportscaster and I say that with the ultimate of respect."

Archived