My excitement for this season is at about nil

Pointdexter

For a brief moment, I really got excited about the Jets, thinking about all the possibilities they could add to the roster to make this team interesting again.

I'm sorry but a couple safeties do nothing to bring that excitement... that is a couple safeties and some mid-round wr's and a TE that really feel like Jalen Saunders -  Shaq Evans -  Quincy Enunwa. Honestly feels a lot like Idzik's 2014 draft (with admittedly better players,  could anyone do worse?).

My interest level is just bleh. If we had Deshaun Watson or Mahomes or Trubisky or Dalvin Cook or McCaffrey or Mike Williams, then ya,  I would be interested to follow this team. Something exciting to give hope. Jets right now are a cardinal sin of awful and completely uninteresting.

Call me a fairweather fan. I probably deserve it. But I'm checking out until next April. Team is unwatchable, and no I don't believe a couple safeties are the foundation to better days.  

I give you guys a lot of credit for being a better/stronger man than I. All the best, my Jet brethren. 

On the contrary my interest is high.

A team chock full of young talent with potential.

And (I hope) Hack or Petty playing QB.

We're looking at the total rebuild of the team and maybe the core of the next five years+

Win or lose there is a lot of interest here IMO

I'm very excited! Not because I have expectations of winning this year, but because I like watching the young talent, and seeing who sticks and who makes a name for themselves. I'm excited about even the slimiest of chances that some of our prospects might have. I know tons of people have already given up but I'm excited to see how Hack does... There are no expectations. Nothing to get my hopes up about other than finding a couple favorite players and rooting for them to grow and get better.

Would I rather be excited about the Jets being shoe-ins for a playoff spot? Of course! But I can work with this too because I think we have some exciting pieces on this team that will be fun to watch, and it's exciting (if not nerve wracking) to think about where they can go from here.

21 minutes ago, Pointdexter said:

For a brief moment, I really got excited about the Jets, thinking about all the possibilities they could add to the roster to make this team interesting again.

I'm sorry but a couple safeties do nothing to bring that excitement... that is a couple safeties and some mid-round wr's and a TE that really feel like Jalen Saunders -  Shaq Evans -  Quincy Enunwa. Honestly feels a lot like Idzik's 2014 draft (with admittedly better players,  could anyone do worse?).

My interest level is just bleh. If we had Deshaun Watson or Mahomes or Trubisky or Dalvin Cook or McCaffrey or Mike Williams, then ya,  I would be interested to follow this team. Something exciting to give hope. Jets right now are a cardinal sin of awful and completely uninteresting.

Call me a fairweather fan. I probably deserve it. But I'm checking out until next April. Team is unwatchable, and no I don't believe a couple safeties are the foundation to better days.  

I give you guys a lot of credit for being a better/stronger man than I. All the best, my Jet brethren. 

I certainly can understand this. It's definitely frustrating. But for this Crushlove? I'll stop watching when the wings stop frying and the bourbon stops pouring. Being fat has its privileges. 

Actually I'm excited to see this team.  Disagree with OP, IMO this draft is loaded with interesting players.  From the 5th round out there are some guys who could be very good players, or busts.  Should be fun to watch.  I looking at it like a 20 game pre-season.  No expect ions at all, so there won't be any angst.  

if either Petty or Hack look like NFL QB's will be very exciting.  Only thing that will make me lose interest and go fishing is if they march McGown out there opening day

This is the most interested I've been since 2011. This season is make or break for the Jets, and for me as a fan.

How does Hackenberg do? Is the Oline going to work itself out? Do they "get it" or does Bowles sh*t all over himself and pointlessly run McCown out week after week? 

And the biggest question...Are they smart enough figure this out? Hack or bust, with "bust" possibly being the best thing to happen to this franchise since Sonny Werblin brought Namath to New York. 

The two only acceptable outcomes for this coming season are:

1. Hackenberg demonstrates he is a worthy QB to build a team around and shows enough to make him the centerpiece.

2. Hackenberg starts at least 12 games, but performs poorly and the Jets have the top pick, giving the franchise a shot at the QB of their choice, preferably Darnold.

**** this up, blow the opportunity, throw McCown out there to eke out a 4-12 season and I'm done caring. Forever.

So yes, I am very interested in the coming season...

It really depends on the QB situation. If McCown takes away starting reps from Hackenberg/Petty im going to be rather upset about it. 

I prefer to see Hackenberg this season, but I'll take Petty if I have to. No way do I want to see McCown take as much as a snap during the regular season. He shouldnt even be a Jet. 

With that said, im a fan of football so my excitement is always high. You dont do things like pay attention to the draft then lose all excitement for the actual season. lol. 

14 minutes ago, bitonti said:

the original poster is showing an appropriate amount of excitement for a team starting Josh McCown at QB

Wait, they announced the starter already???  How did I miss that...

42 minutes ago, Warfish said:

On the contrary my interest is high.

A team chock full of young talent with potential.

And (I hope) Hack or Petty playing QB.

We're looking at the total rebuild of the team and maybe the core of the next five years+

Win or lose there is a lot of interest here IMO

I'm with you. There's plenty of reasons to watch this year. Even if they don't win much, as long as we see real progress from much of the young talent on the team, this season will be worthwhile. 

But they absolutely must start Hackenberg or Petty. Let Mccown mentor them, but keep him off the field.

I think Adams and Maye are going to have some awesome hits this season.  My biggest fear is that they avoid suspensions.  They should be practicing now avoiding head hits.

There are many reasons for this, but the fact that basically the defense is gonig to funnel everything in their direction will help.

Hopefully Hack can provide some entertainment when he gets in.  it will be a WCO-ish offense.  Quick passes, stay out of trouble.  

1 hour ago, Pointdexter said:

Root for young guys to look real good. Lose every game. Fin 

42 minutes ago, bitonti said:

the original poster is showing an appropriate amount of excitement for a team starting Josh McCown at QB

Any game McCown is starting, I doubt if I watch, at least live that is.

There is absolutely no reason for him to start, except perhaps in the case of injury.  You have to go forward with determining what we have in Petty and Hack.

50 minutes ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

This is the most interested I've been since 2011. This season is make or break for the Jets, and for me as a fan.

How does Hackenberg do? Is the Oline going to work itself out? Do they "get it" or does Bowles sh*t all over himself and pointlessly run McCown out week after week? 

And the biggest question...Are they smart enough figure this out? Hack or bust, with "bust" possibly being the best thing to happen to this franchise since Sonny Werblin brought Namath to New York. 

The two only acceptable outcomes for this coming season are:

1. Hackenberg demonstrates he is a worthy QB to build a team around and shows enough to make him the centerpiece.

2. Hackenberg starts at least 12 games, but performs poorly and the Jets have the top pick, giving the franchise a shot at the QB of their choice, preferably Darnold.

**** this up, blow the opportunity, throw McCown out there to eke out a 4-12 season and I'm done caring. Forever.

So yes, I am very interested in the coming season...

The Jets are not getting the top pick in the the draft, not w/o giving up considerable assets to do so - think the Bears trade up this year on steroids.

24 minutes ago, Obrien2Toon said:

Just excited to see how Hack does.

If he stinks, can't wait for one of the big 3 QBs

Yeah TBH...100% this. If Hack starts I'll be rooting for them to win. Because the best possible scenerio is that Hackenberg can become a Franchise QB. Once that's out the door, or if McGown starts I want total destruction of mind and spirit. 

8 minutes ago, peebag said:

Any game McCown is starting, I doubt if I watch, at least live that is.

There is absolutely no reason for him to start, except perhaps in the case of injury.  You have to go forward with determining what we have in Petty and Hack.

Does anyone really believe the Jets paid McCown 6 mil to ride the pine? 

We should have an over/under how many games does McCown start for this team? 

based on his current salary (and Hack's suckitude and Petty's durability) the line should be like 7.5

(and my emotional hedge is to bet the over)

After the first few games last season, where it was clear we had a terrible team (bad offense, bad defense, bad st) it was hard to mantain interest.  Especially since it was obvious we were a team on the decline (which hadn't hit rock bottom yet) with a bad salary cap situation, old players, lack of youth and character issues as well.  

This season, interest is renewed b/c we've finally shed the old players contracts.  Yea, we might be worse than last year from an overall talent/game ability point of view, but at least we will trend in the right direction.  It's going to be rocky, but at least there is a future here.  Last year was just the pits.

1 hour ago, Pointdexter said:

I agree to a point, it would have been fun to get a highly-touted quarterback or RB in here and see if he is a gamechanger.

But here's the one thing that has me excited to show up on opening day:  Christian Hackenberg might be a great quarterback.

Mike Maccagnan probably was the greatest scout in the NFL last April, as the only NFL scouting director promoted to GM the year before and then with a full year as GM under his belt he had access to real world experience and data to make great decisions.  And all his instincts told him to pick Christian Hackenberg in the second round.  And this year, none of his instincts told him to take a quarterback in any round.  So I believe there is something there.  And I believe we have enough talent on offense to allow some of it to peek through this year.

Archie Manning is thought to be one of the best QB's of his era despite never having a team around him good enough to get a winning record.  You could see his ability and his talent even on a team bereft of it.  Point being, if Christian Hackenberg is going to be what Mike Maccagnan clearly thinks he can be, we're going to see it on display this season no matter how lousy the team is.  And that's something to be excited about.

SAR I

I'm not necessarily excited about the season but I remain optimistic about the potential of the team to right the ship from last year's awfulness and the potential of a lot of young players to develop into a good roster for the long term. At this point I'm not convinced we will win a lot of games but that doesn't dilute the optimism for what may develop on a roster-level. 

The least exciting part of the season will undoubtedly be fan conversation which will be dominated by SOJF moaning about every little thing and make any discussion about the positives of the roster intolerable.

5 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

I can't wait for Todd Bowles to use his last time out on defense with 27 seconds left with the ball at the pats 45 when we are up by 2 points and new england has no time outs left because he is caught substituting.

I wonder what coach would ever be dumb enuff to do that

Archived