### Jets \ Jaguars -- (Let's Get to .500) Game Thread ###

Maxman

2 minutes ago, UnitedWhofans said:

LaGreca and BUttle were speaking about this. Would you rather have a young QB come to a team with nothing around him ro a foundation?

I absolutely love the way the team has played these last two weeks. In an ideal world, losses would come with this great play so we can be in position to draft the top QB. But that's not exactly realistic. Fans get upset because it's being done with a 38 yr old stop gap QB. And have no idea who will be QB next year. But i'd much rather know there's a good team in place and we just need Mac and company to go hard after a young franchise QB to lead this further and consistently. 

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, MDL_JET said:

I absolutely love the way the team has played these last two weeks. In an ideal world, losses would come with this great play so we can be in position to draft the top QB. But that's not exactly realistic. Fans get upset because it's being done with a 38 yr old stop gap QB. And have no idea who will be QB next year. But i'd much rather know there's a good team in place and we just need Mac and company to go hard after a young franchise QB to lead this further and consistently. 

If Petty or Hack (lol) were leading this team, I'd be ******* ecstatic!

2 hours ago, thebuzzardman said:

Who cares about wins this year. Sometimes you have to look at the big picture, even as a fan. 

Enjoy your instant gratification win though, and pray a QB falls to #6 pick that's worth an actual f*ck, not that that is likely. 

And then McCag's drafts another defensive player. BLUEPRINT.

So if Mac is just going to draft another defensive player anyway, you should be happy the Jets won.

43 minutes ago, Bleedin Green said:

While that makes sense in theory, there's one tiny problem with this argument you're making... it's not true.  Most of the players mentioned have multiple years left on their contracts.

Forte UFA 

ASJ UFA

Kearse UFA

Kerley UFA 

Come again?

You want to see pathetic? I have been watching the Cardinals- 49ers game and man these 2 teams suck. The Jets look like a Super Bowl team compared to them. I was hoping for a 49ers win but they should just end this game because both teams are pathetic.

Well see how things unfold come april. There will be qb prospects as always. 

Jets need to grab best qb avaiable with their first and go after cousins with a blank check. Then draft ol and wr. 

Or trade the whole draft for the #1 pick and take rosen or darnell

2 hours ago, Maddog45 said:

We need a franchise qb , we need to fix this position and forget about it for the next 15 years and focus and the other positions like how the pats have done , tired of these bum jag at qb all started with Vinny t

If we do it like the Pats then we have to get lucky with a 6th round qb!

1 hour ago, Lil Woody said:

A FQB is not enough on it's own.  But it IS required.  Trying to win like the Dilfer/Ravens, Johnson/Bucs, BrokenManning+Osweiler/Broncos is not a recipe for success. 

Goff and Dak are not great imo.  But the 1-2 of the incoming class MAY ACTUALLY BE. 

But we beat the Dolphins, Jaguars and maybe soon the Browns!  Yeah baby!!!

Hoping to get a FQB and taking steps to acquire one is the issue we are talking about here. 

Entirely plausible Jints pack it in and wait for Eli's successor. 

57 minutes ago, Lupz27 said:

Forte UFA 

ASJ UFA

Kearse UFA

Kerley UFA 

Come again?

Well you're only 50% wrong, so I guess that's something.

But it always is kind of cute when people decide to toss in this random arrogance when they're making things up.

I'll let it be a special puzzle for you to figure out where you're wrong.

Just finished watching the game because I had to DVR it. Not exactly great football. But I’ll take it. The defense looked big league and we have a lot of talent. Some strange plays. McCown didn’t have a good game and at time scary. He was sacked five times and imo mostly his fault. But better than Bortles. McGuire is a real find. And the linebacker they signed a few weeks ago (David Bass) all he does is make plays. And he plays a lot. Hopefully the Jets don’t let up and get beat by Cleveland which is a possibility. I didn’t like the game today but I’m a happy camper. 

The most frustrating thing about all of this is that we have all seen this movie before. There is a 100% chance the Jets will win next week, the fans and media get hyped that we're 3-2 heading into the Patriots game, and then they hang 45 on us. You know it, I know it, and Vegetable Lasagna knows it.

3 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

The most frustrating thing about all of this is that we have all seen this movie before. There is a 100% chance the Jets will win next week, the fans and media get hyped that we're 3-2 heading into the Patriots game, and then they have 45 on us. You know it, I know it, and Vegetable Lasagna knows it.

If there's one thing that's been true for 17ish years it's the "the Jets can really put up a game against the pats" blowout

3 hours ago, Spoot-Face said:

So, worry about an event next year when it is directly impacted by ongoing events now?

That's like saying worry about heart disease when you get it years down the road, but not now as you're swallowing cheeseburgers whole and mainlining gravy.

Eating healthy to avoid the risk of heart disease is completely different than asking a coach to tank a season in the hopes of getting the QB he wants and that the QB comes out AND is the QB they want is the right fit, and it is enough to make them a good team. Anything can happen, and a crappy team used to loosing breeds a crappy team that doesn't win; Any new QB is going to struggle - building a quality team that fights towards the end is part of the equation.

I want to see what Petty can do; I want to see what Hack can do; if neither are the future (and the odds are good that this is the case), I want to be able to draft the QB of the future.

BUT, if you think this team intentionally tanking and get Sam (or whomever) will make this team a winner in the next year or two, you are just fooling yourself. This is especially true if you have to give up the store for your pick. How many teams have won a SB by sucking to get the #1 pick? How long does it take for such a pick to win the big game? When was the last time such a pick won the SB?

Last 10 winners:

2008 Giants - big trade for Eli - drafted 1st; took 4 years

2009 Steelers - Rapesburger - selected 11th (second win - took 2 years for the first);

2010 - Saints - Brees - acquired by trade

2011 - GB - Rodgers - drafted 24th - took 6 years

2012 - Giants again

2013 - Ravens - Flacco drafted 18th - took 5 years

2014 - Seahawks - Wilson drafted - pick 75 in 3rd round - took 2 years

2015 - Pats - Brady - you know that story

2016 - Denver - Manning - FA signing

2017 - Pats - Brady again (beat Ryan, drafted 3rd took 9 years to get there)

Way more success from teams that either acquired the QB from the team that drafted him, or from a QB that was NOT the #1 pick.

My point - sucking for SAM doesn't isn't a slam dunk to win a SB; ask the colts with Luck, ask teams that have won without the #1 pick... 4 weeks in, we shouldn't be unhappy about wins. Yes, any win with McCown may a nail in the coffin to suck for sam - but as the team gels, whomever we pick/play next year will have a much better team to play with. That appears to be more important then having the #1 pick...

3 hours ago, HighPitch said:

Well see how things unfold come april. There will be qb prospects as always. 

Jets need to grab best qb avaiable with their first and go after cousins with a blank check. Then draft ol and wr. 

Or trade the whole draft for the #1 pick and take rosen or darnell

That Darnell is a solid, can't-miss prospect, IMO.

2 hours ago, RutgersJetFan said:

The most frustrating thing about all of this is that we have all seen this movie before. There is a 100% chance the Jets will win next week, the fans and media get hyped that we're 3-2 heading into the Patriots game, and then they hang 45 on us. You know it, I know it, and Vegetable Lasagna knows it.

I really want to disagree with this, but it makes it difficult when mindlessly nodding along while reading it.

fQMh4Sn.gif

2 hours ago, RutgersJetFan said:

December 6th, 2010

We were 9-2 and tied with New England for first place, heading into our 2nd game against them. We had already beaten them once, so a win in Foxborough would've given us a game advantage over them for sole possession of first place in the division, plus the tie-breaker if we ended up with the same record. We were finally getting respect in the media. We were one game away from being the team to beat in the East. I remember it so well. I was so excited for the game that night, all I could do was play a computer game in anticipation. It was a fun, indie, puzzle game called "The Ball". It was a great day.

Then we lost 45-3.

I always get a fowl taste in my mouth whenever I think of that computer game now. Stupid game.

3 minutes ago, Spoot-Face said:

December 6th, 2010

We were 9-2 and tied with New England for first place, heading into our 2nd game against them. We had already beaten them once, so a win in Foxborough would've given us a game advantage over them for sole possession of first place in the division, plus the tie-breaker if we ended up with the same record. We were finally getting respect in the media. We were one game away from being the team to beat in the East. I remember it so well. I was so excited for the game that night, all I could do was play a computer game in anticipation. It was a fun, indie, puzzle game called "The Ball". It was a great day.

Then we lost 45-3.

I always get a fowl taste in my mouth whenever I think of that computer game now. Stupid game.

I was at that game. We actually spent money on flights, hotels, and tickets to sit at that.

28 minutes ago, bostonmajet said:

Eating healthy to avoid the risk of heart disease is completely different than asking a coach to tank a season in the hopes of getting the QB he wants and that the QB comes out AND is the QB they want is the right fit, and it is enough to make them a good team. Anything can happen, and a crappy team used to loosing breeds a crappy team that doesn't win; Any new QB is going to struggle - building a quality team that fights towards the end is part of the equation.

I want to see what Petty can do; I want to see what Hack can do; if neither are the future (and the odds are good that this is the case), I want to be able to draft the QB of the future.

BUT, if you think this team intentionally tanking and get Sam (or whomever) will make this team a winner in the next year or two, you are just fooling yourself. This is especially true if you have to give up the store for your pick. How many teams have won a SB by sucking to get the #1 pick? How long does it take for such a pick to win the big game? When was the last time such a pick won the SB?

Last 10 winners:

2008 Giants - big trade for Eli - drafted 1st; took 4 years

2009 Steelers - Rapesburger - selected 11th (second win - took 2 years for the first);

2010 - Saints - Brees - acquired by trade

2011 - GB - Rodgers - drafted 24th - took 6 years

2012 - Giants again

2013 - Ravens - Flacco drafted 18th - took 5 years

2014 - Seahawks - Wilson drafted - pick 75 in 3rd round - took 2 years

2015 - Pats - Brady - you know that story

2016 - Denver - Manning - FA signing

2017 - Pats - Brady again (beat Ryan, drafted 3rd took 9 years to get there)

Way more success from teams that either acquired the QB from the team that drafted him, or from a QB that was NOT the #1 pick.

My point - sucking for SAM doesn't isn't a slam dunk to win a SB; ask the colts with Luck, ask teams that have won without the #1 pick... 4 weeks in, we shouldn't be unhappy about wins. Yes, any win with McCown may a nail in the coffin to suck for sam - but as the team gels, whomever we pick/play next year will have a much better team to play with. That appears to be more important then having the #1 pick...

I don't actually think Bowles is actively trying to tank (although him starting Forte over Powell and McGuire could be seen as evidence of that) (not to mention keeping Catanzaro over Ross Martin, which would be on Macc). I'm just fully welcoming the necessary burn of a lost season in the hopes of a higher draft pick.

And, no, the #1 pick is NOT a guarantee. What is guaranteed, though, is that a higher draft pick = more high caliber players left on the board when you pick which = more options when you're on the clock. That's all I want. More and better options. I don't care if the top QB is Darnold or Rosen. I just want the Jets to be in the best possible position and have the luxury of freely choosing the guy they think is best, or if that guy isn't there at the top, trading down to amass picks and still pick their favorite QB later in the first.

And, my feelings on the games this season would be different if we we're rolling with Petty or Hack.

3 hours ago, RutgersJetFan said:

I don't think the #realfans know it.

4 hours ago, Spoot-Face said:

If Petty or Hack (lol) were leading this team, I'd be ******* ecstatic!

Oddly enough I now believe that the Jets believe in Petty more than they have let on and are in truth really developing Petty and Hack to be genuinely challenge for the franchise QB position.   

22 minutes ago, Charlie Brown said:

Oddly enough I now believe that the Jets believe in Petty more than they have let on and are in truth really developing Petty and Hack to be genuinely challenge for the franchise QB position.   

That's a very optimistic thought, but what, if I may ask, have you seen recently that makes you think they are trying to develop him? Most of the talk this off season was that they had given up on Petty.

Why isn't he playing now? Because McCown gives us "the best chance to win"? Because we're not eliminated from the playoffs yet? That's another reason to root for losses this season; in order to see Petty on the field sooner rather than later. Hell, I want to see Petty on the field now while we still  have a chance at the playoffs. Give the kid--and the players around him--something to play for. How is that for motivation? "Okay, Petty, you've got a clean slate this year and an open path to the Super Bowl, now go out there and win and show us what you've got." The incentive to win goes from "maybe I'll play well enough that I can win the starting job for next season" to "maybe I'll play well enough and win a ******* Super Bowl this season". That would be exciting to watch; as Petty battles to get his underdog team to the playoffs. Perhaps a reason why Petty looked like hot trash last season was because no one around him actually gave a **** about winning, because we we're already out of playoff contention.

28 minutes ago, Spoot-Face said:

That's a very optimistic thought, but what, if I may ask, have you seen recently that makes you think they are trying to develop him? Most of the talk this off season was that they had given up on Petty.

Why isn't he playing now? Because McCown gives us "the best chance to win"? Because we're not eliminated from the playoffs yet? That's another reason to root for losses this season; in order to see Petty on the field sooner rather than later. Hell, I want to see Petty on the field now while we still  have a chance at the playoffs. Give the kid--and the players around him--something to play for. How is that for motivation? "Okay, Petty, you've got a clean slate this year and an open path to the Super Bowl, now go out there and win and show us what you've got." The incentive to win goes from "maybe I'll play well enough that I can win the starting job for next season" to "maybe I'll play well enough and win a ******* Super Bowl this season". That would be exciting to watch; as Petty battles to get his underdog team to the playoffs. Perhaps a reason why Petty looked like hot trash last season was because no one around him actually gave a **** about winning, because we we're already out of playoff contention.

I now think that the Jets don't feel Petty is quite ready to lead a team with this many structural holes on the offense, that is, a weak and developing OL, variable RBs and WRs who still don't know what they are doing. Throwing Petty out there now is like setting him up to fail. 

Later on, this season, when things are less uncertain in those three key areas I now believe that they will roll Petty out there for the Jets. 

IMO the Jets know that they can't win big with McCown as their QB and their not even trying to, rather they are just trying to buy the youngsters some time.  

7 hours ago, Mogglez said:

I don't think the #realfans know it.

Of course we know it. But we cannot change it anymore than we can change yesterday's result.

So why hate my own team and be angry/depressed about it?

We beat Cleveland, I'll enjoy it. We lose to the Pats that'll suck.

The draft is a year away and will be what it will be. Not going to mope all season long or refuse to enjoy wins over a draft I don't control and was never working out the way the 0-16 crowd hoped. We were always going to end up at pick 6-12 or so. The only thing at fault is 0-16 fans expectations.

Wasn't yesterdays win great for the home crowd two weeks in a row the fans were rewarded. 

Im tired of all the negative threads on this board because we are winning games regardless of who we are playing we are winning. 

Its great to see the rookies playing some decent football and the players we picked off along the way making a difference. 

Archived