Sapp Rips Richardson

flgreen

Warren Sapp bristles at comparisons between himself and NY Jets lineman Sheldon Richardson 

A day after trashing Michael Strahan, Sapp takes aim at another New York pass-rusher, saying 'he's not that highly skilled of a pass rusher.'

Comments (1) BY MANISH MEHTA / NEW YORK DAILY NEWS WEDNESDAY, JANUARY 29, 2014, 1:17 PM

Print
SHARE THIS URL:
185430408.jpg RON ANTONELLI/GETTY IMAGES Jets rookie defensive end Sheldon Richardson (r.) has boasted that if the 2013 NFL draft was re-drafted, he’d be the No. 1 overall pick. The Jets scooped him up with the 13th selection.

inform.jpg

Sheldon Richardson's engaging, entertaining and refreshingly honest assessment of himself is reminiscent of a young Warren Sapp.

Just don't tell that to Sapp.

The Hall of Famer delivered his own blunt assessment of the Jets rookie defensive lineman during Super Bowl week. Sapp didn't take too kindly to Richardson's late-season declaration that he'd "most likely" be the No. 1 overall pick in a draft do-over.

"As soon as that kid gets off the 'I think I was better and should have been drafted in a different position,' maybe he'll see his future," Sapp told the Daily News. "Let's not anoint this kid the next best thing since sliced bread yet."

Sapp may not agree with Richardson's tact, but the perceived draft-day snub (the Jets took him with the No. 13 pick) motivated the rookie.

buccaneers-redskins.jpg NICK WASS/AP Warren Sapp yaps about how comparing Jets rookie Sheldon Richardson to him are off-base. ‘Was he defensive player of the year in college? Was he an All-American? You're comparing him to a first-ballot of Hall of Famer?’

"If something drives you, it drives you from inside, right?" Sapp said. "He's externally saying it. The draft is not going to be re-drafted. So as soon as he wakes up from this nightmare that's haunting him…. that's the whole point when we talk about football players not carrying baggage. One play at a time. Let that go. He hasn't let go of the draft. It was Week 15 and he was still talking about it. I was like, 'Really?'"

Richardson was one of the anchors to Rex Ryan's defensive line, but Sapp was thoroughly unimpressed with his statistics that included only 3-1/2 sacks. Ryan maintained throughout the season that the numbers weren't a true reflection of Richardson's value to his defense.

"The sack numbers do not always tell the true story. I agree with that," Sapp said. "But he's not that highly skilled of a pass rusher."

Richardson was the fifth-rated 3-4 defensive end by Pro Football Focus. Only Texans' Pro Bowler J.J. Watt was ahead of Richardson in run defense rankings. So, surely Sapp can concede that Richardson is a highly skilled lineman even with the low sack totals, right?

"You said that. I didn't," Sapp said. "So if you're highly skilled, you should be able to rush the passer, right?... Was he defensive player of the year in college? Was he an All-American? You're comparing him to a first-ballot of Hall of Famer?"

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/jets/sapp-yapping-ripping-richardson-time-article-1.1595369#ixzz2rpEvW4ZG

http://blacksportsonline.com/home/2013/09/warren-sapp-ryan-tannehill-will-top-dan-marinos-1984-season/

Newly enshrined Hall of Famer, Warren Sapp, has been known to make headlines since hanging up the cleats, but while making predictions on the NFL Network, Sapp made this statement:

“The second year won’t be a sophomore slump for Ryan Tannehill,” Sapp said. “He will break Dan Marino’s (mark) of 5,084 yards. That’s right … he’s gonna break it. Ryan Tannehill loves to throw it around the yard. Quarterback-driven league. Watch it.”

Sapp is such an idiot.  I just wish he would go away.  You know how many basketball players have been called the next Michael Jordan?  It is supposed to be flattering, not a direct comparison.

This.

He makes me hate my TV. 

As of right this minute though, Sapp is only the 2nd worst "personality" on NFLN / ESPN.

Cris Carter is the worst. Possibly of all-time.

"If something drives you, it drives you from inside, right?" Sapp said. "He's externally saying it. The draft is not going to be re-drafted. So as soon as he wakes up from this nightmare that's haunting him…. that's the whole point when we talk about football players not carrying baggage. One play at a time. Let that go. He hasn't let go of the draft. It was Week 15 and he was still talking about it. I was like, 'Really?'"

Tom Brady hasn't let go of the draft for like 10+ years. 

Good advice, Warren.

Guess that means that Richardson is going to be an All Pro soon.

Wasn't it Sapp that dubbed Roberston "A bowling Ball  with butcher knives" ?   Or was that Bit?

Haha! Beat me to it. I was gonna say, "guess Richardson isn't a bowling ball with butcher knives, then."

Sapp knows even less about football than he does about math and  personal finance. Also, when the Bucs got good he was so old, fat  and useless he was singled most plays and did dick. And worse than that with the Raiders. He bitches about Strahan going into the HoF,but Strahan almost certainly deserves it.And more than Sapp anyway.  Sapp had some great seasons but the last few were pretty awful. And now he's another TV guy with a  big mouth but not much to say. Really no one  is  tuning in to any show to hear the less than brilliant insipid insights of this fat bankrupt douchebag.

This.

He makes me hate my TV. 

As of right this minute though, Sapp is only the 2nd worst "personality" on NFLN / ESPN.

Cris Carter is the worst. Possibly of all-time.

Tom Shane is the Cris Carter of JN posters...

And Sapp is a fat mouthed idiot, but hopefully his comments fuel Richardson even more

Sapp knows even less about football than he does about math and personal finance. Also, when the Bucs got good he was so old, fat and useless he was singled most plays and did dick. And worse than that with the Raiders. He bitches about Strahan going into the HoF,but Strahan almost certainly deserves it.And more than Sapp anyway. Sapp had some great seasons but the last few were pretty awful. And now he's another TV guy with a big mouth but not much to say. Really no one is tuning in to any show to hear the less than brilliant insipid insights of this fat bankrupt douchebag.

He admitted to not even trying with the Raiders, too IIRC.

It takes a special kind of stupid to carry on about how horrible and unforgivable it is for someone to talk about something that happened 8 months earlier, then turn around and immediately proceed to ramble on about what you did 20+ years ago.  Forget taking issue with his comments, he's clearly got some significant brain damage going on in order to be that much of a complete dipsh*t.

F*** this guy. Lost all my respect for him after he made fun about Smith for not "falling cool" at the end of the play he twisted his ankle. Same goes for Strahan. A Hall of Famer sitting on the couch in front of a camera and making jokes about a Rookie because he got hurt... GFY Fat Sapp

F*** this guy. Lost all my respect for him after he made fun about Smith for not "falling cool" at the end of the play he twisted his ankle. Same goes for Strahan. A Hall of Famer sitting on the couch in front of a camera and making jokes about a Rookie because he got hurt... GFY Fat Sapp

im so with you!!

I hate this fat blowhard as much as anybody, but that hit on Clifton wasn't that big a deal.  Keep your head on a swivel.  It was high, but otherwise okay by me.  Used to be as soon as there was a pick you'd look for people to blow up like that.  It's not like they wouldn't do it to you. 

Hit wasn't that bad, Clifton was jogging to the play and not really seeming like he'd get into the action, but I've seen worse. The thing that bugged me, if I remember correctly, was Sapp acting all happy about it when Clifton was writhing in pain on the ground, pretty sure the dude couldn't walk for like a month.

That and him acting like a gangster when Sherman said that it was a chickensh*t play. Sapp tried to act like a tough guy after saying that if he wasn't a real man and was younger without any kids, he would have whooped Sherman's ass on the field right there.  Good lord I can't stand that guy.

Archived