It's official. Woody: Rex and Idzik are fired.

F.Chowds

Your exact words were " When you're looking for a new Head Coach and GM...you're waving the white flag admitting you're ****ed and accepting that it will be another 3 years before you can expect anything from a results standpoint."

I didn't write those words. I didn't put anything into your mouth (though I will if you ask nicely). Making the playoffs = getting something from a results standpoint.

Yesterday, there were 32 head coaches in the NFL. 13 of them went to the playoffs in their debut season.

Ok.  you win.  Firing your Head Coach and GM is a good thing.  It means your team is exactly where you want to be.

And playoffs are all yay!!!! and sh*t, even if you dont win the game.

• Replies 266
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good memories, but all went to hell after the 2011 season.  He'll probably go to Atlanta's plug and play squad and win that weak division next year, but won't do much beyond that.  In the end who cares, hopefully the full rebuild works this time.

I'm hoping for Eliot Wolf taking over the front office.  Seems like a young guy with roots to the old NFL via his dad, plus is 100% in tune with the modern game being in GB (a team that builds its team around its QB).  His dad worked here for a bit, so he probably knows what to expect from the media/fan base in terms of abuse.  I really think that's our guy.

Good lead.

I found this old article with google search.

Eliot Wolf rising in Packers’ front office
Posted by Michael David Smith on May 6, 2012, 7:24 AM EST
eliotwolf.jpg?w=341

Eliot Wolf, the 30-year-old son of former Packers General Manager Ron Wolf, is looking like a rising star in the Packers’ front office.

Wolf is in line for a significant promotionand will assume the duties of former director of football operations Reggie McKenzie, now the general manager of the Raiders, according to Bob McGinn of the Journal Sentinel. Wolf, who has worked for the Packers since 2004, took on additional responsibilities for this year’s draft when McKenzie left for Oakland.

Few people have achieved as high a rank in an NFL front office at as young an age as Wolf, who’s likely to follow in his father’s footsteps and become a general manager some day.

The Packers are also expected to name Brian Gutekunst the assistant director of college scouting, replacing Shaun Herock, who left to become the Raiders’ director of college scouting. Packers area scouts Alonzo Highsmith and Sam Seale may be given expanded roles by Packers G.M. Ted Thompson as well.

I liked Rex as a coach and a person, but it's a results business and he wasn't producing. not everyone gets freebies like Marvin Lewis. Rex will resurface and we'll see how much he's learned from this first gig.

Idzik glad he's gone. Didn't care for many of his

moves.

Ok. you win. Firing your Head Coach and GM is a good thing. It means your team is exactly where you want to be.

And playoffs are all yay!!!! and sh*t, even if you dont win the game.

I never said anything about it being desirable to have to clean house. Ideally, you'd find a great coach and keep him forever. I just called you out on something incredibly foolish you said while you were busy moping that we fired a coach with a worse winning percentage than Herman Edwards.

Good lead.

I found this old article with google search.

Eliot Wolf rising in Packers’ front office
Posted by Michael David Smith on May 6, 2012, 7:24 AM EST
eliotwolf.jpg?w=341

Eliot Wolf, the 30-year-old son of former Packers General Manager Ron Wolf, is looking like a rising star in the Packers’ front office.

Wolf is in line for a significant promotionand will assume the duties of former director of football operations Reggie McKenzie, now the general manager of the Raiders, according to Bob McGinn of the Journal Sentinel. Wolf, who has worked for the Packers since 2004, took on additional responsibilities for this year’s draft when McKenzie left for Oakland.

Few people have achieved as high a rank in an NFL front office at as young an age as Wolf, who’s likely to follow in his father’s footsteps and become a general manager some day.

The Packers are also expected to name Brian Gutekunst the assistant director of college scouting, replacing Shaun Herock, who left to become the Raiders’ director of college scouting. Packers area scouts Alonzo Highsmith and Sam Seale may be given expanded roles by Packers G.M. Ted Thompson as well.

It would be so awesomely Jet if the Jets hired a consultant to pick the next GM and that consultant recommends and gets hired, his 30 year old son.

I never said anything about it being desirable to have to clean house. Ideally, you'd find a great coach and keep him forever. I just called you out on something incredibly foolish you said while you were busy moping that we fired a coach with a worse winning percentage than Herman Edwards.

Yes, it was incredibly foolish of me to point out that this might take a few years and and that over a dozen Head Coaches who have been hired in the last 3 years have been a disaster.

My bad.  Like I said, you win.  Thanks! 

Yes, it was incredibly foolish of me to point out that this might take a few years and and that over a dozen Head Coaches who have been hired in the last 3 years have been a disaster.

My bad. Like I said, you win. Thanks!

Stop passive aggressively telling me I win while continuing to attempt to justify what you said. The key word you used here is "might", which you did not use in the original post. You spoke in finite terms. As in "All teams are f*cked for three years after a coaching change. Except for almost like half of them. Lol, you win".

We're ****ed, though. This team sucks.

Rex's firing was 2 years overdue...

Putting your #1 QB (Sanchez) into a meaningless pre-season game in order to win the Snoopy Bowl only to get him injured and out for the season was an unforgivable offense...

His explanation afterwards was moronic...

He should have been fired that day...

Stop passive aggressively telling me I win while continuing to attempt to justify what you said. The key word you used here is "might", which you did not use in the original post. You spoke in finite terms. As in "All teams are f*cked for three years after a coaching change. Except for almost like half of them. Lol, you win".

We're ****ed, though. This team sucks.

I like you.

Fine.  Have no idea if he'll make the short list but it looks like he's a football guy from a football family.  We can do worse.

I'm sure we could and I cant say I know anything about GM candidates.  I read their bio but you dont really know who much these guys are capable of because its all behind the scenes.  I just think it would be funny and so Jets like, if we hired a consultant who would ultimately get his 30 year old son hired. 

Funny because in the AFC East the Bills got their 2nd winning season this year since 2000 and last made the playoffs in 1999. And the Fins haven't won a playoff game since 2000 having just 2 winning seasons in the last 11 years.. Your logic smells of SOJF..

If you want to compare us to the BILLS or FINS ..nothing speaks of SOJF than that.

I simply hold a higher standard than the Browns , Bills, and FINS.

Across the hall at MetLife is GIANTS management.  4 SB wins since 86 and 5 appearances.

Its not by accident that SB's are won by the same handful of teams .... its management.

I like you.

I'm sure we could and I cant say I know anything about GM candidates.  I read their bio but you dont really know who much these guys are capable of because its all behind the scenes.  I just think it would be funny and so Jets like, if we hired a consultant who would ultimately get his 30 year old son hired. 

The same family ties that got him the interview could also surround him with front office talent to guide his success...just saying...he's an under-the-radar candidate who could make a good interview at the least...FTR...my previous post had an article a couple of years old...current bio below...age 32 not that there's much difference.

Eliot Wolf enters his 11th season with the Packers and third as the director of pro personnel after being promoted on May 23, 2012. Prior to his current role, Wolf spent the 2011 season as the team’s assistant director of player personnel and the previous three seasons as assistant director of pro personnel (2008-2010).

Originally named as a pro personnel assistant on Feb. 26, 2004, by then-General Manager/Head Coach Mike Sherman, Wolf spent four seasons in that position.

Currently the youngest pro personnel director in the NFL, his primary duties include scouting teams in the NFL and in-season advance scouting of upcoming Packers opponents. Wolf also is involved with college scouting during the season and is very active in the Packers draft.

The son of former Packers general manager Ron Wolf, Eliot’s scouting career unofficially began at age 10, when he joined his father in film sessions at Lambeau Field.

He has also worked 22 consecutive Packers drafts (since 1993), and nine NFL scouting internships – five with the Packers, three with the Atlanta Falcons and one with the Seattle Seahawks. Wolf has attended 22 consecutive NFL scouting combines.

Those internships and prior “unofficial” experiences have provided significant knowledge. Wolf, for example, is familiar with the history of every NFL player, having prepared details for the Packers for every draft since 1993.

The 32-year-old Wolf filed his first report at age 14 for the Falcons, and has provided valuable information for the Packers’ pro personnel department during previous internships.

Wolf owns a B.A. degree in creative writing from the University of Miami (Fla.), graduating in December 2003 after just 3½ years in order to begin his NFL career before the 2004 NFL Draft. At Miami, he volunteered in the football office’s recruiting department. Wolf is a 2000 high school graduate of Green Bay’s Notre Dame Academy.

Born March 21, 1982, in Oakland, Calif., Wolf resides in De Pere, Wis. He enjoys traveling and spending time with friends and family.

I said it was the right thing to do.  Woody finally got it right. 

My point has been all along; this isnt a good position to be in.  Not sure why that's so hard for you to grasp.  If you're firing your GM and your Head Coach, your team is in a bad spot.  This isnt a matter of under performing with the talent. This team is sh*t.  Ground up! Thinking that this day changes everything in the immediate future IMO is very short sighted.  They've got a long way to go.  You dont even know who your Head Coach or GM is at this point.  

JiF let the folks who have been bitching an moaning for the past 4-6 years have their fun.  They got what they wanted congratulations to them.  Maybe they don't want to hear reality.

Today's most popular talking point:

"Rex never had any talent, even during the Championship years, this team was always the worst in talent but won purely because of Rex".

/facepalm, amazing how being a big mouthed blustering characture can win fans to defend you so deeply in the face of all the facts.

Rex had talent but he also had rookie QBs in 2 of his 6 seasons. Difficult to win it all with a rookie at that position.

I met Jeremy Kerley and Bilal Powell last year at an event.  Got to spend some decent time with them.  Powell told me he would run through walls for Rex and Jeremy vehemently agreed, so where is this fracture you speak about. 

Running through walls did not include winning games, which is much more important for a head coach.

My response was to a comment that was made that Rex fractured the offense and defense  However based on my conversation with two Jet offensive player was that the offense loved Rex as much as the defense. 

Yes, most players love coaches that don't work them very hard and don't demand intense, non-stop preparation.  They also like that he defends and praises their mediocrity at every turn.  Of course they loved working for Rex. 

good.  nice clean cut

I won't miss the wasted TO's, 12 men on the field penalties or stupid quotes to the media

I will miss the run defense.  we haven't seen a bad run defense in 6 years.  that can be pretty stinky

Plus 1.  Man simply was not a well rounded HC.  His personality makes too many of us ignore the number of in game mistakes he continually makes.

God, listening to NY Radio today is a horror show of callers.

"Yeah, Woody is like super rich, wadoes he care about, ah?  He's too rich to care about winning!  Now, I have two candidates, Gruden of course, and whats Bill Cowher doin' these days.  Or Holmgren, ya know. I'll take your comments off the air."

**** sake. /facepalm

God, listening to NY Radio today is a horror show of callers.

"Yeah, Woody is like super rich, wadoes he care about, ah?  He's too rich to care about winning!  Now, I have two candidates, Gruden of course, and whats Bill Cowher doin' these days.  Or Holmgren, ya know. I'll take your comments off the air."

**** sake. /facepalm

Warfish, buddy... how many times do I have to tell you to turn off the radio? :biggrin:

Hip Hip Hooray! Rex Ryan wore out his welcome and Idzik was so incompetent and moronic it was like watching comedy central. Great Great Moves. Woody Johnson is finally understanding the fans want to see a winning culture. Now he and his consultants have to bring in the right Head Coach and the Right General Manager. Success has to happen now.

Yes so the above sentence means he fully got the shaft as compared to most gms. He was forced to keep a coach who was lousy, and who had shown no growth or improvement.

He interviewed for the job knowing that was a requirement. It wasn't some bombshell that was dropped on him after he was hired. The fact that he was willing to keep Rex is likely what got him hired in the first place. He was a lesser candidate who no one else even considered as their GM. He took this job with Rex happily.

Yes, most players love coaches that don't work them very hard and don't demand intense, non-stop preparation.  They also like that he defends and praises their mediocrity at every turn.  Of course they loved working for Rex. 

Bingo - they don't label them players coaches for nothing.

Archived