Jets re-sign David Harris (3 years, $21.5M, $15M guaranteed) [MERGED]

Morrissey

Yeah I understand how a zone defense works. And Harris is too slow to cover enough ground to drop into zone coverage as well.

Harris was never considered on the same level as Patrick Willis. Willis was first team all pro virtually every freaking year of his career, after getting taken #11 in the country. Harris was once I think a pro bowl alternate after getting taken 36 picks later. He was a good draft pick and a good player. Nowhere near as good as you're giving him credit for being, though.

Nor as bad as you are.  There are no upgrades out on the market, and there is no guarantee a draft pick can step in from day one without being an even bigger liability.  $7.5m a year for 2 years is a reasonable price in today's market.  You have to consider the coach's view on his role and how he intends to compensate for his deficiencies.  Rex never gave a damn about his players or what fit them, he ran his scheme and forced the players to conform to it. 

And for the record after their rookie years there were quite a few people making claims that Harris may have been the best LB in the draft, and by far could have been the steal of the draft.  He was roundly considered a stud by every Jet fan until Rex came around and had him chasing receivers.

• Replies 341
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is being stated a lot on this thread...and I certainly hope you are all correct.  If, at the end of FA, this Harris deal looks fair then I'll be the first to say I was wrong.  But right now I am beginning to get concerned with our new front office.  I think when FA is over this will still look like a bad move.  

Not panicking but this move seems illogical to me on many fronts.

Couldn't disagree more.  Given his recent production, this contract was quite reasonable, also as to guaranteed money.  Rex would have given him more, I bet.

Rex loves him and Bowles likes him, but since a bunch of jets fans living in their parents basement hate the deal I guess it was bad.

I don't love Harris but he can tackle is a leader and the cap hit ain't that bad if you factor in the new cap figures.

Not an exciting move but it's one less NEED heading into the draft.

Solid B signing

"I could not be happier to announce that I have signed a contract extension with the New York Jets," Harris said this afternoon. "After hearing the plans and vision of Coach Bowles and Mike Maccagnan, there was no doubt I wanted to return, help win a Super Bowl with the Green & White, and retire a Jet. Thanks to everyone in Jets Nation."

Attaboy!

It's remarkable how durable/consistent Harris has been in his career.  Looking at his

stats over the past three years he hasn't fallen off:

http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/stats/_/id/10491/david-harris

Watching Harris this year will be a good test case to judge Bowles schemes against

Ryan's schemes.  Because with Ryan we know Harris was ALWAYS exposed in pass

coverage.  Bowles had a similar situation with Larry Foote in ARZ but he was able to

cover his deficiencies in pass coverage

Nor as bad as you are.  There are no upgrades out on the market, and there is no guarantee a draft pick can step in from day one without being an even bigger liability.  $7.5m a year for 2 years is a reasonable price in today's market.  You have to consider the coach's view on his role and how he intends to compensate for his deficiencies.  Rex never gave a damn about his players or what fit them, he ran his scheme and forced the players to conform to it. 

And for the record after their rookie years there were quite a few people making claims that Harris may have been the best LB in the draft, and by far could have been the steal of the draft.  He was roundly considered a stud by every Jet fan until Rex came around and had him chasing receivers.

There were quite a few people claiming Matt Leinart was the best player in his own draft. Evvvvveryone had him going no lower than #3, remember? Just like that of any number of prospects.

If you can produce ANYONE who had Harris getting taken ahead of Willis, I would love to see it. Any team who considered taking Harris at #11 where Willis went (and around where he was expected to go).

You are literally the only person, other than perhaps Ryan who you clearly despise and think mindless, who would ever claim David Harris is basically just as good as Patrick Willis. I've never seen that written or said anywhere for the entirety of the career of either one. The way Willis was going his first 5-6 seasons he was headed to the HOF (and may yet get there depending on how he returns). Find me one person that, even in a joking fashion, would even suggest something so ludicrous about Harris. You are comparing someone who was a good player with someone who was a special player, and attesting not only are they virtually the same, but that everyone thinks so or at least used to.

And yawn with the Rex ruined him stuff. Harris, while obviously good, wasn't an other-worldly linebacker because he has limited physical talent and ability. What people (Jets fans in particular) took notice of, was how infinitely better-suited to Mangini's strict and inflexible 3-4 defensive front than the puny and weak Vilma was. He was not roundly considered a stud by every Jet fan until Rex came around, at which point his career took this hard turn for the worse. Where do you get this crap from? Christ, the guy missed a freaking third of the season before Rex supposedly ruined him, and I absolutely remember concerns about his durability and whether he was truly big enough to sustain the role (regardless of how much better he was than Vilma in it). If anything, Ryan made him seem more valuable by pairing Scott next to him in a very specific role that allowed Harris to take sole credit for team/scheme defense in the form of higher tackle stats. Your retelling of Jets lore regarding Harris is preposterous, and so far not one of these things you claim about him are or were true.

Beyond any of that, he is way too slow to warrant a contract of this size, since he's best suited as a 2-down LBer no matter what anyone claims he would have been offered elsewhere.

This was dumb re-signing for this type of deal. It was one that was also wholly unnecessary, is ill-suited for a new head coach who claims he will be preaching speed and needs faster players, and we will be forgoing any potential improvement over Harris until the 2017 season if we're lucky.

If something happens to the contrary, where we draft someone this year in rounds 1-3 who replaces Harris in the lineup, then you can come back and gloat in my face. But I think we all know that isn't going to happen. Plus if it did, then this re-signing with $15M guaranteed is doubly stupid.

Please delete my thread.

That's a lot of loot for Harris.

This is a good signing for a lot of reasons I'm glad they did it. If the Jets surround Harris with Quick LB's he will be just fine and will not have to be a liability in coverage.

1 The guy is great against the run

2 He's a team leader very important trait Rex didn't seem to care much about

3 He's deceptively quick blitzing up the middle, may not be fast but he is quick.

This is a good signing for a lot of reasons I'm glad they did it. If the Jets surround Harris with Quick LB's he will be just fine and will not have to be a liability in coverage.

1 The guy is great against the run

2 He's a team leader very important trait Rex didn't seem to care much about

3 He's deceptively quick blitzing up the middle, may not be fast but he is quick.

1. He is good, not great.

2. Ryan was freaking gaga over Harris.

3. Meh. Lots of guys could look deceptively quicker blitzing through an open lane.

Eh, I'm not a fan of this deal.  He's been very productive in his career, but what he does best (help stop the run) is becoming more and more devalued as we go on.  And he's too slow to be a real cover guy, so I'm not sure I want him here for the next two years at this price.  I think I can live with this move if they sign say Jason Worilds, so we can have two fast guys in Davis and him on the outside, but otherwise this seems like a bad move to me.   I was hoping he'd get overpaid by Rex.   

Eh, I'm not a fan of this deal.  He's been very productive in his career, but what he does best (help stop the run) is becoming more and more devalued as we go on.  And he's too slow to be a real cover guy, so I'm not sure I want him here for the next two years at this price.  I think I can live with this move if they sign say Jason Worilds, so we can have two fast guys in Davis and him on the outside, but otherwise this seems like a bad move to me.   I was hoping he'd get overpaid by Rex.   

Agree we need to add Worilds along with Acho 

I know some ppl are just gonna look at the numbers and whine but you know what.  I'm OK with this.  This is home grown talent and this year and next year we need to spend nearly everything we got, if you are going to overpay a little, I'm happy you do it with one of your own.

Harris will most likely retire a Jet.  And yes he isn't the greatest in coverage but he damn well is a leader, can run a defense, is consistent in tackling and is very dependable and rarely if ever injured.

Plus its nice to stick it to Ryan.  Who sometimes I think gets too far ahead of himself.  In this case I bet you he thought for sure Harris would follow him to Buffalo and one of the reasons he bailed on Alonso.

1. He is good, not great.

2. Ryan was freaking gaga over Harris.

3. Meh. Lots of guys could look deceptively quicker blitzing through an open lane.

Yeah Ryan was gaga but its usually about the player not about leadership

I still think Harris is great vs the run ... Yes liability in pass coverage but scheme can remedy that situation. Personally I didn't like the way Rex used him at times.

He really is quick up the middle its his long distance speed that hurts him but then he should not be covering guys downfield (yet rex had him doing it) anyhow neither should Pace for that matter (yet rex had him doing it). Pace should not even be on this team and Ill bet hes gone soon anyhow

Yeah Ryan was gaga but its usually about the player not about leadership

I still think Harris is great vs the run ... Yes liability in pass coverage but scheme can remedy that situation. Personally I didn't like the way Rex used him at times.

He really is quick up the middle its his long distance speed that hurts him but then he should not be covering guys downfield (yet rex had him doing it) anyhow neither should Pace for that matter (yet rex had him doing it). Pace should not even be on this team and Ill bet hes gone soon anyhow

How would you know what he liked about Harris? It seems you've decided what would be good and what would be bad and assigned what you assume he thinks with that as the basis. I understand not liking him as a head coach, or even not liking him personally on top of that, but you're purely making things up now. Ryan put Harris in charge of his defense on the field. That didn't happen by default or by accident, and he wouldn't put his precious defense under the leadership of someone if he didn't think he had that trait. If anything was obvious it's that he freaking loved Harris, and had he signed him up in Buffalo everyone here would resoundingly laugh what a dopey overpaid acquisition it was and joke about Ryan's claim Harris is the most underrated player in the NFL. Of this I have zero doubt.

You can think he is great vs the run but that doesn't make it so. Great players don't whiff or get juked like I seem do more than I care for.  He's good, not great. We could do worse, but we could also do better.

All of his shortcomings are not on the prior HC, much as many would like to believe so. Harris's shortcomings are his shortcomings. And if we signed him to be a part time, 2-down linebacker, or if we signed him to play a role suited for a fast player like Bowles says is what he wants, in neither case does this make sense for this amount. And yes, we also brought back two other slow linebackers to boot. 

Take a look at what's there, not what you've convinced yourself is there to fit a narrative.

i keep reading stuff here like , he's one of ours, a homegrown talent, he'll retire a Jet - since when did this equate to anything on the football field.

Is Harris a good guy - Yes

Did he play very well for us over the years - Yes 

But to be honest I couldn't care if we got a player from Mars if he helped the Jets win , this whole loyalty bullcrap is just that bullcrap , if he was that loyal he'd would have resigned for 4-5M/year.

In my opinion we overpaid him by about 3 million a year over the life of the

contract. But at least we have the cap space to absorb it. With free agency

about to start I refuse to obsess over it we just picked up Marshall and

we are well positioned to improve the team

This. Wasn't in love with the contract but we've still got a ton of cash and were still going to be players

I can't believe the Jets are going in to 2015 with this team. They won't sign any more free agents and will let the clock expire on all of their picks at the draft. We are going to be way under the cap again. 

Same old Jets. 

Archived