Major opportunity early for the Jets.

Villain The Foe

There will be no opportunities until Tom Brady is retired.

It's a monumental task, but Brady has been beaten in the playoffs before.  Hopefully this team the Jets have assembled is good enough to do it should they get to that point.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply
that's the odd part - on paper the Jets are 7pt underdog.   I think just about every jet fan is expecting a win tomorrow.   do we know something the media doesn't or are we just homers?   

Road, prime time game against an elite qb looking to rebound from a tough loss? We're just homers. This game sets up to give the Jets a chance - a chance - to pull a major upset. But expecting a win is a bit much

I'm pretty sure Vegas had Miami beating Jacksonville. Seeing that score reminds me of false expectations that come with propping teams on pedestals based on projections. All of us here were asking why the Fins were so high on preseason polls compared to the Jets. They literally are 1-1 by the skin of their teeth & should have lost to the Skins.

I'm hanging my hat on the fact that the Patriots crushed this same Indy team by running the ball down their throats & a game in which Brady barely threw the ball & just managed the game. We have five things going for us in this game. 

1- We can run the ball & stop the run. 2- We have a game manager in Fitz who has experience vs the Colts & played them twice last year. 3- We have the skill players necessary to move the ball & score some points. 4- You can't ignore the fact that they will be missing 3 of their CBs! That's huge & even if TY plays he's one throw down to the turf on that knee to the sideline. 5- We have the Dline to get after Luck. You know Luck will have some success but it's stopping him from stringing together plays that keeps them from moving the ball effectively.

So personally, I say we have a good chance, I truly don't understand the 7 point Vegas line.

I just cant see Andrew Luck in his home opener leading the Colts to an 0-2 record. I think he somehow wills his team to victory.

Luckily for the Jets, the Eagles look like sh*t and we play them next at home

So your not watching? 

It all comes down to the qb.  If fitzy can outduel luck, we win.  If he cant, we lose.

lets go Fitzy!!!

then we lose.  FITZ CANt win a duel with Luck; however, if our O and Dlines can control the line of scrimmage...we win.  The game will be won or lost at the line of scrimmage.  If luck has time, we have no shot.

Big losses by teams aroundD the Nfl, and most of them were losses in conference.  Being 2-0 will be awesome, being 2-0 in the AFC is also a very big deal.  Here's to hoping our big uglies are better than their big uglies.

Hopefully this week reminds every Jet player of one simple fact - last week don't mean sh*t!

Colts lost? So what. Jets won? So what. Doesn't affect this week at all.

Only thing I would say is, Colts are under more pressure - losing is a major set back for them, much more so than for us. They're supposed to win; they're supposed to be real contenders. We're supposed to lose, we're just there to make up the numbers.

Hopefully this week reminds every Jet player of one simple fact - last week don't mean sh*t!

Colts lost? So what. Jets won? So what. Doesn't affect this week at all.

Only thing I would say is, Colts are under more pressure - losing is a major set back for them, much more so than for us. They're supposed to win; they're supposed to be real contenders. We're supposed to lose, we're just there to make up the numbers.

Bowles basically told them that as soon as they walked off the field last week. I don't know if they'll win or lose, but I trust that they are being cocached to have their heads in the right place.

that's the odd part - on paper the Jets are 7pt underdog.   I think just about every jet fan is expecting a win tomorrow.   do we know something the media doesn't or are we just homers?   

Probably homers but I like out chances as well for some reason. I think the Colts O-Line stinks and their defense is not much better. 

Your QB can cover up alot of issues but the Colts have ALOT more issues than I think the media wants to believe.

If the Jets ever won this game...with Philly (Who was just downright awful and their O-Line stinks too) and Miami after that in London, things could get interesting for the Jets.

First things first though...go out and take care of the Colts

I agree. This game is pretty big considering the results around the league today. Otoh the Jets dont lose much ground if they lose to a Colts team on MNF in their home opener. On paper though the Jets should win this game.

On paper the Jets are dogs in this game.

However, I have a really good feeling about tonight as 3 out of 4 of the Colts CBs are out.

Fitz is a smart guy and will exploit that as will Decker and Marshall.

Plus our D will display their wrath tonight.

Jets 27 - Colts 17

I think one key thing is that we can't get behind early ... this isn't the sort of game you want to be playing catch up and having to get away from our strength (run game).

Conversely if we can get an early lead, it means we can play keep ball, make Luck take his shots and hope to capitalise on mistakes / trying to do too much.

Jets need to be patient and disciplined. Two things we're not used to under Rex (especially disciplined!) but I'm seeing under Bowles. Last week's team just looked so much more focussed and alert - reacting to events quickly and decisively (McCown fumble recovery had three Jets all over it, Marshall strip was amazing heads up, to name a couple of plays) and the penalty count speaks for itself.

Well, I'd like to be an optimist, but I don't think the defensive line put a lot of pressure on the Browns QB's in the last game, especially in the first half. Give Luck that amount of time and it's a long night for the Jets. I hope they get more pressure on the QB this game, they certainly have the personnel for it. If Richardson was playing I'd be more optimistic of eking out a win. 

historically this is a game that the Jets not only lose but get blown out in.   this game will be a great barometer of where the Jets are early in the season.   the colts game last week doesn't matter....dome team, playing outside on the road with no film on tomsula/taylor.   

fwiw, I think bowles calm demeanor and emphasis on details will help.  colts home opener in primetime after a loss is a tough pull but I think the Jets actually match up well with the Colts. The media doesn't realize just how bad the QB/WR/CB play was last season and the impact of Revis, Fitz, Marshall.   Jets roll 27-23.  

I think this matchup is better than the Jets are getting credit for. Especially when you factor in the injuries.

the matchup i'd be concerned about is Gilchrist vs. the Colts TEs.

I am hopeful, but not confident.  A couple things to keep in mind, sacks and pressure are important, but we have a great secondary.  Also, we did get some real pressure, sacks and turnovers from our defense, and the Cleveland OL is significantly better than the Colts OL.  We won't completely shut them down, but we should be able to keep the score low.  Of course, we could get blown out and the momentum would overpower us, but I don't expect us to show up flat, be unprepared, or play soft.

I was a fan of Rex (knew it was time to move on) and was worried about whomever replaced him.  It is too early to tell for sure, but Bowles seems to have the team prepared, focused and level-headed, but still has an emotional team.  I have hopes this team, someday, could be pretty good (once we stabilize the QB situation).

I am hoping for a well played, enjoyable game, but a win would not be totally unexpected.

I am hopeful, but not confident.  A couple things to keep in mind, sacks and pressure are important, but we have a great secondary.  Also, we did get some real pressure, sacks and turnovers from our defense, and the Cleveland OL is significantly better than the Colts OL.  We won't completely shut them down, but we should be able to keep the score low.  Of course, we could get blown out and the momentum would overpower us, but I don't expect us to show up flat, be unprepared, or play soft.

I was a fan of Rex (knew it was time to move on) and was worried about whomever replaced him.  It is too early to tell for sure, but Bowles seems to have the team prepared, focused and level-headed, but still has an emotional team.  I have hopes this team, someday, could be pretty good (once we stabilize the QB situation).

I am hoping for a well played, enjoyable game, but a win would not be totally unexpected.

A win tonight against Indy would be swell.

The Jets have a major opportuniy here. The Bills, Fins, Ravens, Chargers, Chiefs all lost this weekend. If if the Jets win Monday night that means the Colts also lost and that would really put the jets in great position early in the playoff hunt with many of the "AFC favorites" reeling from division/conference losses. 

The way week 2 fell into place the importance of this game Monday night will give us the 1st glimpse of what this team is really capable of. No matter what we say, the goal is to ultimately capture the moment. What better opponent than a Colts team that gets massive praise given their QB? 

If the jets can win this game on the big stage during prime time and position themselves in the playoff hunt early then the Football world will start to take notice. 

It's probably a little to early for all this talk.  It's week 2.  I think I'm mostly excited about how this team does on the road in primetime vs. an AFCCG opponent from last year. Andrew Luck is a little different than Johnny Manziel.  I'm excited to see how we stack up against a team many had predicted to go to the Super Bowl.

Either way, win or lose, I'm walking away with the mindset that it's week 2 and there is a ton of Football left.  That said, I'm kind of liking how the Jets match up. I still cant see a W...but I'm excited nonetheless. 

It's probably a little to early for all this talk.  It's week 2.  I think I'm mostly excited about how this team does on the road in primetime vs. an AFCCG opponent from last year. Andrew Luck is a little different than Johnny Manziel.  I'm excited to see how we stack up against a team many had predicted to go to the Super Bowl.

Either way, win or lose, I'm walking away with the mindset that it's week 2 and there is a ton of Football left.  That said, I'm kind of liking how the Jets match up. I still cant see a W...but I'm excited nonetheless. 

I am hoping the defense comes out and gets a couple of 3 and outs or something close to it.  The way Cleveland started the game last week was very troubling.

Well, I'd like to be an optimist, but I don't think the defensive line put a lot of pressure on the Browns QB's in the last game, especially in the first half. Give Luck that amount of time and it's a long night for the Jets. I hope they get more pressure on the QB this game, they certainly have the personnel for it. If Richardson was playing I'd be more optimistic of eking out a win. 

isn't Indy OL < Browns OL?

Almost my whole survivor pool has been eliminated thanks to the Saints.  One person picked the colts over jets so we have a ton more fans pulling for the Jets tonight.  That being said, I doubt many of us counted this game as a win when we made our predictions for our final record this year.  on the other hand, I am a total homer and going to say that we win tonight :) GO JETS!!!!

The pass rush is definitely going to be a huge key tonight.  The Jets offense should be able to have at the very least a decent outing against this Colts D, and their run game shouldn't be a particular concern for this front 7.  In the end, even with the vastly upgraded secondary, if Luck is given too much time, he'll still likely manage to pick apart the D.  Unsettling him has definitely got to be the top priority for the Jets D and how that goes will likely have a ripple effect on the rest of the team.  The very last thing the Jets want is for this game to turn into any sort of high scoring passing fest.

I'm not very much of a homer these days. With that said we are better at every single facet of the game except QB. Especially with injuries. This game comes down to field position, penalties and turnovers. Bowles has shown he places an extremely high value on all 3, which is a far cry from the Rex years. This is a very winnable game if we stay disciplined.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Its never too early for this talk about this when you're a fan and you're looking for your team to make the playoffs. Better than talking about it in December when its alittle too late lol. We've been doing that for half a decade. 

Doesn't matter, the money makes the spread. I would take the under...

I am hoping the defense comes out and gets a couple of 3 and outs or something close to it.  The way Cleveland started the game last week was very troubling.

Agreed.  Cant let them get a first start.  This is one of the games I wouldnt mind with getting the ball first, having a long time consuming drive ending in a TD.

Its never too early for this talk about this when you're a fan and you're looking for your team to make the playoffs. Better than talking about it in December when its alittle too late lol. We've been doing that for half a decade. 

Fair enough.  As I mentioned in another thread since this playoff system has been in place; 0-2 teams make the playoffs 12% of the time, 2-0 makes the playoffs 63% of the time.

I just think fans get a little ahead of themselves with season predictions in the first 2 weeks.   Last year at this time everyone thought Brady was done.  Look how that panned out. 

Agreed.  Cant let them get a first start.  This is one of the games I wouldnt mind with getting the ball first, having a long time consuming drive ending in a TD.

Fair enough.  As I mentioned in another thread since this playoff system has been in place; 0-2 teams make the playoffs 12% of the time, 2-0 makes the playoffs 63% of the time.

I just think fans get a little ahead of themselves with season predictions in the first 2 weeks.   Last year at this time everyone thought Brady was done.  Look how that panned out. 

That stat is skewed by the 5-0 Bills missing the playoffs a few years back. :lol:

This is my concern.  The Jets did not look good last week.  If Johnny Football doesn't come him and continue to give the ball away the Jets don't win.   The Jets did not look like a cohesive unit last week.  Some big play and good individual efforts.  It'll take some time, but they'll eventually gel...a lot of new faces in a new defense.

expecting them to beat a QB, at a home opener, after a loss - is a lot to ask.  Later in the year the Jets would beat a team like the Colts, right now they're just not ready.

Sorry guy, this one isn't close.  (hope I'm wrong)

Archived