- Giacomini: much more consistent

- Cumberland: finally taking his blocking seriously

- Ivory: has shown vision, patience, speed and improved hands
in catching screens

- Pryor: a totally different player solid in coverage and much
improved in his open field tackling

- Harris: either he increased his speed this offseason or the
scheme is hiding his lack of it

Pryor and Harris stand out for me out of that group. I agree with everyone you said. But I think the OLine guys are also benefiting from the new system and new coaching.

Pryor simply seems like he can tackle now and isn't worried about just laying big hits. And whatever Harris did this offseason workout wise, wow. I know he lost some weight but he is having a great year.

Pryor and Harris stand out for me out of that group. I agree with everyone you said. But I think the OLine guys are also benefiting from the new system and new coaching.

Pryor simply seems like he can tackle now and isn't worried about just laying big hits. And whatever Harris did this offseason workout wise, wow. I know he lost some weight but he is having a great year.

Agreed.

Lets also not forget what Brandon Marshal and Devon Smith do for this offense. The OL isn't constantly facing blitz looks because they have to account for a true #1 on the outside. The offense as a whole isn't constantly facing 8/9 man boxes which allows the OL to play faster and that extra 1/2 second allows them to get to their spot and create the creases for Ivory to blast through.

Through the first five games you have to be pleased with the
improvements the following players have shown under the new
staff:

- Colon: no longer a penalty machine

- Brick: doesn't appear to be declining like last year

in catching screens

Colon is the most surprising thing to me on the list.  He's been a double-digit penalty guy for most of his career, not just his last two seasons with the Jets.  Awesome if he keeps going the way he is.

I think the whole OL is benefiting from the fact that Fitz is making decisions quickly and running when necessary.  I don't know if it is Fitz, the OC or both, but it helps the OL to not have to hold blocks more, and now the passing game is complimenting the running game and visa versa.

I think the whole OL is benefiting from the fact that Fitz is making decisions quickly and running when necessary.  I don't know if it is Fitz, the OC or both, but it helps the OL to not have to hold blocks more, and now the passing game is complimenting the running game and visa versa.

This.

You have to remember, Colon spent most of his career blocking/holding for Big Ben who (as a positive) can extend plays by holding the ball for a long time, and then came to Geno who held the ball too long to the detriment of everyone.

Its the same reason the Pats OL gets away with holding a lot. They hold, but don't have to hold for a long time, and it minimizes the frequency of getting caught and flagged. Pretty simple, really.

To me it's quite simple- Buffalo's defense has been playing poorly with many of the same players that made up a good defense last year. The Jets have some players that were playing poorly last year and have shown much improvement this year. This tells me 2 things:

1) Ryan's scheme does not work well anymore.

2) Bowles is the better coach.

Speaking just for players who were on the Jets last year:

- Most obvious is Pryor

- Ivory and Powell look a lot faster than they did last year.  Not going to say Ivory is vastly "improved" because I've always thought he was awesome.  But the two of them look a lot, lot faster.

- No idea if Giacomini is improved, but we are seeing far less pressure off the right edge this year, so I'm going to make the assumption and give him some dap.

- James Carpenter wasn't on the Jets last year, but his warm body over Aboushi's has been such a huge difference in our power run game. (Credit Chan's scheme as well)

Players do not improve. They arrive in the league fully formed, like Athena from the brow of Zeus. If some of them aren't good, the sole duty of the head coach is to use his media contacts to anonymously blast the GM until he either drafts better players or gets fired.

Says a great deal about the QB also. Fitz is calling a good game. He is setting the blocking schemes properly to alleviate the constant pressure. Then he gets the ball into the hands of that huge play maker #15.

Proyor looks like he has been personally coached by Bowles.

Through the first five games you have to be pleased with the
improvements the following players have shown under the new
staff:

- Colon: no longer a penalty machine

- Brick: doesn't appear to be declining like last year

in catching screens

Much of the O-line's improvement, Ivory's play, and Cumberland's approach to blocking has to be a credit to Chan Gailey's zone blocking scheme.  And Colon's improvement in reducing penalties is likely a direct reflection of how much more disciplined this team is under the new coaching staff compared to the last one.  And of course, as has been previously mentioned here in this thread, Fitzpatrick deserves credit for his pre-snap reads and ability to get the ball out quickly, which helps the entire offense out.

Meanwhile, Pryor is playing under a guy who specializes in secondary and knows how to use him, and I think now we're seeing why Harris was surprisingly given a pretty hefty contract extension (a move I criticized at the time).  Bowles clearly values a guy like him in his versatile defense.

Everything is better under this coaching staff.  Everything. 

Much of the O-line's improvement, Ivory's play, and Cumberland's approach to blocking has to be a credit to Chan Gailey's zone blocking scheme.  And Colon's penalties are likely a direct reflection of how much more disciplined this team is under the new coaching staff compared to the last one.  Also Fitzpatrick deserves credit for his pre-snap reads, which helps the entire offense out.

Meanwhile, Pryor is playing under a guy who specializes in secondary and knows how to use him, and I think now we're seeing why Harris was surprisingly given a pretty hefty contract extension (a move I criticized at the time).  Bowles clearly values a guy like him in his versatile defense.

Everything is better under this coaching staff.  Everything. 

I think you have that backwards.  I am pretty sure that Gailey has been using a primarily man blocking scheme.  I remember expecting zone blocking and being surprised how happy Carpenter and Giacomini seemed to be about man power blocking in the preseason. 

“This offense, right now, is like a dream to me, just to be going man, and power blocking,” Carpenter said at the time. “It’s a dream come true for me. That’s the type of lineman I am.”

http://hushsports.com/why-have-jets-given-up-so-few-sacks-so-far-nj-com/

But why hasn't Cumberland been part of the passing game?  He used to be a fairly decent receiving target... we can use another guy other than Decker and Marshall to catch a pass once in a while.

this is the week they will need to use devin smith b/c you have to assume the pats will be scoring points even if it's not like vs. buffalo.  

But why hasn't Cumberland been part of the passing game?  He used to be a fairly decent receiving target... we can use another guy other than Decker and Marshall to catch a pass once in a while.

He had a couple of catches against the Eagles and then got a concussion.  That was the only game where he was targeted.  He missed the Dolphins game and I think they worked him in kind of slow last week.  Gailey seems to have very game specific plans.  A guy like Cumberland may have a big part one week and nothing the next.  He may be one of the guys that has to pick up the slack for H-Back/WR Enunwa.

He had a couple of catches against the Eagles and then got a concussion.  That was the only game where he was targeted.  He missed the Dolphins game and I think they worked him in kind of slow last week.  Gailey seems to have very game specific plans.  A guy like Cumberland may have a big part one week and nothing the next.  He may be one of the guys that has to pick up the slack for H-Back/WR Enunwa.

What? Planning for your opponent.  No that won't do.  You are supposed to pound your chest and tell everyone you're the best and they cower; then you play the game you want stick stubbornly with your approach.  Right? Planning? Preparing? You are just talking crazy now.

To me it's quite simple- Buffalo's defense has been playing poorly with many of the same players that made up a good defense last year. The Jets have some players that were playing poorly last year and have shown much improvement this year. This tells me 2 things:

1) Ryan's scheme does not work well anymore.

2) Bowles is the better coach.

1-I don't necessarily believe that, and I'm probably his biggest critic.  The problem is Rex does not vary from his scheme.  Sure he may occasionally try to play a zone or give different looks from different fronts, but once the ball is snapped his D's are pretty much the same no matter what the presnap look is.  He covers backs and TE's in man coverage with Safeties and LB's regardless of the athleticism (or lack there of) of the player, and that's going to make a guy like Harris who's not built to be out there chasing guys down look bad.  Harris is a guy who should be pursuing the QB or manning a zone, not chasing guys in man covg 1x1.  If Rex has the players to fit his scheme, ala 8 1st round picks lol, then it does work.  Problem is when you have 8 1st round picks on D that leaves you with nothing to play with on the other side of the ball.  Not that he cares.

2-And the sky is blue, too.  Even after only 5 games I think this is abundantly clear. 

Archived