RIP Muhammad Ali

Lupz27

I was walking across Houston St  back in the 80's. A sports car comes zooming around the corner and the driver sticks his head out.  He had a hot chick in the front seat giggling.  He gave me this charming smile and his trademark roar at the same time.  I was like HOLY sh*t that was ALI.  Assalamu Alaikum Ali.   

I lived through the Frazier-Ali era of boxing.  Back in those days I hated Ali and loved Frazier.  Given the current PC media and the world we live in today, a younger person wouldn't understand my feelings,and I won't even try.

I will say this, the late 60's through mid 70's with Ali, Frazier, Quarry, Foreman and later Ken Norton that was the golden era of boxing.  When Frazier and Ali fought on 3/8/71 it was truly a match of two undefeated champions. Frazier won that one, but Ali won the next two!!

RIP Muhammad Ali, another part of my youth has passed away.

Was at MSG for the Davey Moore/Roberto Duran fight I guess back in 82. During one of the preliminary fights guy sitting behind me says "Ali just walked in". Within about 20 seconds the buzz went thru the Arena. Spotlight hits Ali and the crowd just went ballistic shouting ALI ALI ALI for about a minute or so. Felt bad for the guys fighting cause no one was paying attention to them. A great moment I have not nor will ever forget.

RIP

A very determined Man. Used to get his hair cuts on 167th near Grant Ave in the Bronx before the 1st Frazier fight. That shop was lost like Ali was after that fight lol. He fought them all, Shavers, Norton., Liston, Foreman, Holmes. Never ducked anyone including the government. Hell, he even beat them.

He brought speed and showmanship to the game. His hand speed was uncanny for any heavy weight , even by today's standards. His foot work unparalleled. He was much more intelligent than most of his peers. His heart,that of a True Champion. He earned his way into the hearts of the entire world eventually even his haters.

It was a pleasure watching Ali fight his way on free tv back in the day. Always gracious after a fight win or lose. Met him In a book store back in the 90's near Wall Street. The Olympic Torch lighting showed the universe just how much strength was still in that Man after being hit by the crushing blow of ill health. Determination, courage, honor, strength just a few of his many attributes. Ali was what Warriros are made of. 

RIP Champ 

With others, I grew up during the Ali era and remember vividly his great fights. The personality was of course oversized and offended many whites who thought he was an arrogant black upstart. But Ali showed over time that he was bigger than even his brash claim to be the greatest boxer. He was indeed something more -- witty, charming, with an infectious sense of humor, a strong sense of personal identity, and an ability to reach people across the world in a way few athletes ever have. Ali belongs in that great pantheon of athletes who both define their sport and transcend it. RIP.

4 minutes ago, Long Island Leprechaun said:

With others, I grew up during the Ali era and remember vividly his great fights. The personality was of course oversized and offended many whites who thought he was an arrogant black upstart. But Ali showed over time that he was bigger than even his brash claim to be the greatest boxer. He was indeed something more -- witty, charming, with an infectious sense of humor, a strong sense of personal identity, and an ability to reach people across the world in a way few athletes ever have. Ali belongs in that great pantheon of athletes who both define their sport and transcend it. RIP.

Well said! I too was a Frazier fan, as he was more of the blue collar working man. He reminded me a lot of Klecko. Not a great technical fighter or a speed fighter. He just had that remarkable right cross and a iron-like will.

Ali was the flashy, trash talking guy(Gastineau). I personally never liked that but could not believe how he endured the beatings of the "rope-a-dope"! Man he was tough and like others have said, a true warrior. That jab of his would snap heads and he could unleash as much power as Frazier while killing you with that incredibly long reach of his. Never understood why he endured the "rope-a-dope" when he could out-box anyone in the ring? I'm convinced the Parkinson's was related to this.

Sad day for boxing.... in hindsight I came to see what a truly amazing boxer he was.

Ali was one of my childhood idols.  I will never forget the excitement of his battles against Frazier, Foreman and Norton, especially the Thrilla in Manilla.  One by one my childhood idols are going.  From the world of comedy it was Robin Williams and George Carlin, both of whom I adored.  Ali was up there in the sports world for me.  

May you forever "float like a butterfly" - RIP

ali_3208256c.jpg

10 minutes ago, 32EBoozer said:

Well said! I too was a Frazier fan, as he was more of the blue collar working man. He reminded me a lot of Klecko. Not a great technical fighter or a speed fighter. He just had that remarkable right cross and a iron-like will.

Ali was the flashy, trash talking guy(Gastineau). I personally never liked that but could not believe how he endured the beatings of the "rope-a-dope"! Man he was tough and like others have said, a true warrior. That jab of his would snap heads and he could unleash as much power as Frazier while killing you with that incredibly long reach of his. Never understood why he endured the "rope-a-dope" when he could out-box anyone in the ring? I'm convinced the Parkinson's was related to this.

Sad day for boxing.... in hindsight I came to see what a truly amazing boxer he was.

The rope-a-dope was a brilliant strategy to defeat George Forman.  Forman was powerful and had a tremendous punch but Ali exposed his weakness, he would get winded and tired past the 5th round.  Forman was heavily favored to defeat Ali as a matter of fact I went, along with many others,  to the local movie theater that carried the fight on closed circuit just to see Ali get knocked out. Boy, was I disappointed with the outcome! LOL

2 minutes ago, 32EBoozer said:

I never liked Frazier much, but Ali treated him very badly in the press and humiliated him in way that was completely undeserved. Don't know if you ever saw that documentary on Frazier (it's really good and quite sad) but he never got over that. Not one of Ali's finest moments.

Never saw faster hands on a boxer.  Ali was also deceptively strong.  Champ could hit (sting) as well as float.

I was a kid, then young man.  But nothing was better than when Ali and Cosell got together either before or after a fight.  Just laugh out loud funny interplay.

RIP Champ.

3 minutes ago, Long Island Leprechaun said:

I never liked Frazier much, but Ali treated him very badly in the press and humiliated him in way that was completely undeserved. Don't know if you ever saw that documentary on Frazier (it's really good and quite sad) but he never got over that. Not one of Ali's finest moments.

That is why I never cared much for Ali, he would demean his opponents.  Of course the media covering his passing will never go near that when discussing his life.  However, in the big picture, It probably generated more interest in the fights and made more money for him and Frazier! 

9 minutes ago, SickJetFan said:

As a little kid in 70s my favorite things to watch in our kitchen on my little sh*tty black and white 12" rabbit ears tv was the Yankees, wild world of sports, and Ali fight.

those were the days!

Cat Stevens did sports?

Before my time, but the Olympic torch lighting is something I'll never forget. 

It's fascinating though. Could you imagine an athlete of his stature today converting to Islam and refusing to serve his country. Very different times today. Hope his afterlife is free. 

Namath.jpgAli.jpg

RIP Muhammad Ali, sorely missed.

One can now argue that Joe Namath is the greatest living athlete of all time as Ali was really his only competition in terms of ability, influence, revolutionizing an entire sport, media, marketing, etc.

SAR I

Archived