7 easy steps to turn this around.

Joe W. Namath

There will be no more vets brought in here.  We are going to do this right this time:

Step 1- say good bye to revis, mangold, marshall etc.

Step 2 - no aging vet free agents

Step 3 - Qb not addressed in draft.  Petty/hack battle it out for starter in camp.

Step 4 - this is where it gets interesting.  Long shot- petty or hack develop into a franchise qb.  Most likey- neither is any good and we win 3 games getting the 1st pick in the 2018 draft.

Step 5 - Fire todd bowles

Step 6 - bring in an offensive guy to coach this team and groom a young qb.

Step 7 - draft the franchise qb number 1 overall.

Bonus step - bring rookie qb along slowly. Goal is for him to get his feet wet, improve over the course of the year, but win only 3-4 games.  Pick at the top of each round in the 2019 draft.  Get this qb some elite weapons.  That will be 3 straight drafts we have picked in the top 5 and reloaded the roster.

Get ready to compete in 2019/2020.

What not to do:

Sign a guy like mike glennon.  Win 7-9 games for the next 4 years.  Pick in the middle rounds each year and miss out on elite talent.  

Why only cut 3 vets when you're tanking? I say we go all out and push the cap to 2018. Cut those 3, then ShelDumb, Clady and Giacc. Then trade Mo for nothing. Have $2 billion in cap space for 2018 and pickup everybody off the FA while drafting a QB #1 overall.

Good thoughts. I also cannot understand the obsession with Glennon. Realistically I would love to see them cut every single stiff on this team who gave less than 100% effort and believe me, that would leave us with like 3 players left on the roster going forward so that will not happen LOL. I would however, like to see Nick retire as a Jet. He can still play at a fairly high level barring injury of course, Bilal Powell played out of his mind when they let him play. The young WR's played fairly well. Other than that? Darren Lee maybe? Leonard of course. McClendon? Not sure.

Who did I forget? Think hard LOL because their aren't many more.

This is going to happen.

Aging vets carried the Pats to their first ring.  You need to pick the right ones.

Step 3 - Qb not addressed in draft.  Petty/hack battle it out for starter in camp.

QBs must be taken when available then tried out and nurtured or moved out.  You will need to kiss a lot of frogs to find a prince.

Step 4 - this is where it gets interesting.  Long shot- petty or hack develop into a franchise qb.  Most likey- neither is any good and we win 3 games getting the 1st pick in the 2018 draft.

LOL.  Not going to happen.

Yes.

That's two guys.

Good luck with that.  Suck-for-Luck hasn't really worked out for the Colts, right?

1. Bring in a guy who knows he is there to build a team

2. Trade quality picks for quantity picks

3. Draft a lot of players

4. Build the defense through the draft supplementing with FAs

5. Build the OL through the draft

6. Draft a lot of QBs -- pan for gold.

7. Enjoy the ride.

A team needs veterans unfortunately none of ours are leaders. The display they put on when the free agent QB resigned was a selfish gesture and poor one at that. If management and the coaching staff listened to these veterans then this team has far bigger issues. A few of them will need to be retained if the price is right they all need to restructure.. Marshall and Decker have unfinished business here with the right QB. Revis needs to get healthy and decide if he wants to continue playing NFL football if not retire. Mangold needs to get in better shape. Harris cant be allowed to hang like we did with Pace we need to get better at the LB position immediately. The OL needs a lot of work as well. 

Let the rebuild begin. 

37 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

There will be no more vets brought in here.  We are going to do this right this time:

Bonus step - bring rookie qb along slowly. Goal is for him to get his feet wet, improve over the course of the year, but win only 3-4 games.  Pick at the top of each round in the 2019 draft.  Get this qb some elite weapons.  That will be 3 straight drafts we have picked in the top 5 and reloaded the roster.

What not to do:

Sign a guy like mike glennon.  Win 7-9 games for the next 4 years.  Pick in the middle rounds each year and miss out on elite talent.  

Browns, Jags and several other turds pick early every year. They are still turds. Picking early annually means you aren't incrementally improving, which means draft picks aren't panning out and team isn't changing year to year.

The strategy is simple: get players that have their best football ahead of them, create an environment where they realize that potential. Drafting early is overrated. Drafting well is where it's at. 

Good effort.  

I think we can start with the two most important steps:

1)  Woody Johnson steps away from day to day football operations and appoints a Director of Football Operations.

2)  The business side of the team (selling tickets, etc.) is separated from creation of the football product.

Let the people in 2 figure out how they want to sell what 1 creates.  If the team is not any good, they probably don't want to waste advertising dollars trying to sell tickets.  We don't need to pay the cheerleaders either.  When was the last time you heard the Giants advertise on radio?  They are not perfect, but they try to win on the field.  They have made many bad decisions, but none of them were distracted.  The Jets are a big distraction.

A Football Person needs to be in charge of creating a Football product.  That is not what we have now, and that is why the team is no good.  We can talk about OL, and QBs, and everything else, but the key is that right now Woody wakes up every day and thinks about winning today, selling tickets, parking, beer and jerseys today, getting good press today.  That is not how good NFL teams work.  

Run, don't walk Woody.  I actually think there are alot of smart people who could do the job.  don't know if its Mac yet, but maybe one day.  Tannenbaum, who the Jets beat 2x last year, is taking Miami to the playoffs this year with a plan.  Just like a business, you need a person with a focused mandate and plan.  We don't have that now.  Until we do, we will stink.

2 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

Browns, Jags and several other turds pick early every year. They are still turds. Picking early annually means you aren't incrementally improving, which means draft picks aren't panning out and team isn't changing year to year.

The strategy is simple: get players that have their best football ahead of them, create an environment where they realize that potential. Drafting early is overrated. Drafting well is where it's at. 

Winston and mike evans are working out well in tampa.

khalil mack and amari cooper and carr look good in oakland.

2 hours ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Winston and mike evans are working out well in tampa.

khalil mack and amari cooper and carr look good in oakland.

It took a decade each, minimum. Way more examples of the bottom staying on bottom.

The plan you outline specifically calls for having a top pick every year for a few years. That literally means not improving until someone flips the switch and the plan is done being executed on. It's not realistic when vetted against history of league. Sucking for 3-4 years isn't executing a rebuild, it is failing at rebuilding.

We basically need talent, bad organisations fail to evaluate properly. Good ones are almost constantly competitive no matter where they draft.

We had some very bad drafting over the last half decade. Idzik's  "Wonder draft" set us back a very, very long time.

We are paying for that now. Mac's done ok, his UDFA hauls  have been good. 

Its a total rebuild no point trying to hide it, these garbage time games will help the young players getting reps and playing and help evaluate the team.

I want a team and I can route for again. Even if they arnt good, but try.

I can't watch another season of this "Mail it In" Bowles BS, with players earning the best part of 20 million Dollars, and actively trying not to tackle someone, or "Dancing with the lineman".

It's way time we burnt the whole thing down.

7 hours ago, Joe W. Namath said:

What not to do:

As a Raider fan I disagree with number two.     Justin Tuck (I  will always have soft spot for the ex giant) and later Charles Woodson were two of the most important Fa signings Reggie Mckenize has made.     

They were mentors ( took the youngs under their wings and showed them the right way to be a professional.  Those veterans played on a big role in the development and maturation of K Mack  + the young players. ( that's still paying dividends today) .

That  isn't easy for veterans who have won something( rings),  to come to basically an expansion team ,( not going to win that many games).  Yet despite the losses piling up , still were busting their butts ( be professional), and being a sponge for the young players who were going to be the face of the franchise.

It amazes me how a team like the Cheaters can be competitive year after year and with the team turned over completely many times, albeit a few pieces at a time. But it always seems to fit and work for them. Belichick being head coach and GM. And to think we had him as a HC. You could hate on him all you want but you can't argue with his success. And the Jets just can't seem to get it right. I hope they can turn it around before I die. Been waiting for another SB since I was 9 years old.

-I do not want another year of on the job training for Bowles. He is just not picking this head coaching thing up.  Why waste a year? Bring a lot of young guys in and let them learn a system which will change next year because you have some mythical rule about a coach getting at least 3 years?  get rid of him now.  also decide if you can turn it over to one guy.  is there a guy out there who can run the whole thing?  If not, let Mac hire his guy. We all know Mac did not pick Bowles.  This whole Woody setup with the GM and the coach was doomed from the start.

10 hours ago, Joe W. Namath said:

What not to do:

imo some of those steps are valid and will certainly be done.  i think you have a lot more faith in petty or hack than most do.  petty has shown some improvement week to week and maybe if the rest of the team wasn't in tank mode we'd see even more. i wouldn't say an offensive coach is necessary.  there are plenty of coaches from the defensive side that have been very successful.  what is needed is a coach who understands all aspects of the game.  as for needing one to groom a rookie qb, the jets have had their fair share of qb friendly offensive coaches but the qb's still fail.  this team was always on course to compete in 2018 or so.  mac structured the contracts so he'd be able to work to get the right players.

bowles??? it's really hard to stay behind him while hearing about richardson and the lack of effort on the defense.  there has to be a shake up.  if it includes bowles so be it.  

3 hours ago, Raideraholic said:

As a Raider fan I disagree with number two.     Justin Tuck (I  will always have soft spot for the ex giant) and later Charles Woodson were two of the most important Fa signings Reggie Mckenize has made.     

They were mentors ( took the youngs under their wings and showed them the right way to be a professional.  Those veterans played on a big role in the development and maturation of K Mack  + the young players. ( that's still paying dividends today) .

That  isn't easy for veterans who have won something( rings),  to come to basically an expansion team ,( not going to win that many games).  Yet despite the losses piling up , still were busting their butts ( be professional), and being a sponge for the young players who were going to be the face of the franchise.

i don't know that a team can spend to their required salary cap level if they sign only draft picks, udfa's, etc.  the teams need to spend some money just because.  the thing is to get the vets who still want to play, can play, and aren't afraid to train their replacements.

12 hours ago, Joe W. Namath said:

What not to do:

PREPOSTEROUS!!!!

11 hours ago, Integrity28 said:

All you have to do is look at the Steelers to realize how true this is. They find talent no matter where they pick.  

Need to sign Big Cat Williams long term along with other young players that play with passion for the game

no point drafting top talent if they can't keep that talent motivated and on the team, it it to win it

As far as the vets, I think Mangold and Marshall still have passion for the game (now that Rex is gone the team needs someone to stand up for the Jets!)  Harris has also been a warrior, let's keep those guys involved, develop a culture

12 hours ago, Joe W. Namath said:

What not to do:

I got to disagree with this. If you sign Mike Glennon and the Jets win 7-9 games for the next 4 years with virtually no talent on the team then that would indicate to me that Mike Glennon isnt the problem. 

You absolutely sign a guy that could get you 7-9 wins with virtually no football team around him because when you do get talent then that would make the team even better. 

Getting the #1 overall pick doesnt mean that you instantly have elite talent. There are 7 rounds every single year as well as undrafted rookie free agents that end up being serviceable-to-elite. Its the responsibility of the front office to draft well and to provide a coaching staff that can develop talent. 

There are a few teams that are considered the "usual suspects" when it comes to pretty much being guaranteed a top spot in the draft every season...and they either consistently draft a bust, draft a guy who could have talent but didnt properly develop or traded down and missed out on elite talent. 

I can look at the Cleveland Browns for example. They've had 10 top-10 draft picks since 1999, 6 being top 5 picks with two more being the 6th pick in the draft. The only player that ended up being an elite talent at his position was LT Joe Thomas which is arguably the best LT in the league today...and he was the #3 pick in the 2007 draft. Joe Thomas has been a 1st or 2nd team all pro every single year since 2008, and yet with all of these "top picks" the Browns have had they've completely fell on their face when drafting. 

Look at 2014 when they traded down twice, basically squandering 3 different opportunities to draft Odell Beckham EVEN WHEN they knew of all the issues they had with Josh Gordon. They instead traded out of the 2nd pick and the 6th pick, settled at the 8th pick and drafted Justin Gilbert...an absolute bust. They then draft at the 22nd spot Johnny Manziel...another total bust and a guy who couldnt hold a candle to a guy like Mike Glennon. 

Matter of fact, the Browns have done better drafting outside of the top 5 then they have inside the top 5. 

1. Joe Haden 7th overall

2. Alex Mack 21st overall

Now look at their top 5 picks. 

1. Tim Couch 1st overall

2. Courney Brown 1st overall

3. Gerard Warren 3rd overall

4. Braylon Edwards 3rd overall

5. Joe Thomas 3rd overall

6. Trent Richardson 3rd overall

Outside of Joe Thomas, none of these guys were elite, none were franchise players, none are still in the league. Meanwhile, the Browns had picks outside of the top 5 that were basically the face of the franchise/franchise players in Alex Mack and Joe Haden...and only 1 of them were a top 10 pick. Matter of fact, the Browns have done much better either later in the 1st round or in other rounds 

#1. Cody Kessler 3rd round (probably the best QB on the team but has dealt with concussions)

#2. Joel Bitonio 2nd round (One of the best guards in the game when healthy...though he has been injury prone the past 2 seasons)

#3. Travis Benjamin 4th round (Was 30 yards away from a 1,000 yard season in 2015 with the Browns and they allow him to walk to the chargers)

#4. Jordan Cameron 4th round (Was a beast in 2013 becoming a top 5 TE in the league, but he had a shortened 2014 season and then shipped off to Miami)

#5. Buster Skrine 5th round (Cleveland found a starting CB in the 5th round that could either play the slot or the #2 for their defense)

#6. TJ Ward 2nd round (One of the better safeties and the Browns let him walk to Denver)

#7 Dennis Northcutt (One of the better return guys in the league during his time having several 1,000 seasons as a returner along with a couple more seasons of 750 yards or better as a returner. He was also a respectable target as a receiver having 600 yards or better for multiple seasons as the 2nd/3rd receiver on the team). 

You can do this with many teams that consistently pick at the top of the draft every year. Sure, having a high pick is great because it means that you'll have high picks in every round, however, if you're drafting terribly, if you dont have a good coaching staff that can develop or is just an organization that tears everything down every year or two then a high draft pick wont make a bit of difference. Also, its one thing to tank when you are eliminated from the playoffs and winning games will simply hurt your draft position, its another to purposely tank a year or two just to get high draft picks. I dont support that position whatsoever. Im a fan of the Jets and though I really dont want them winning any more games this season, I totally expect them to try to atleast be competitive on a yearly basis...even if that means bringing in Mike Glennon and possibly winning 7 to 9 games every season. That beats going 2-14 just to draft a potential bust with the 1st pick in the draft. And even if you draft/find a franchise QB, whats the point if you have no talent around him? Just go ask Andrew Luck how difficult its been having no offensive line and no defense. 

Lastly, all you have to do is look at the Oakland Raiders and see how you build a team without having the #1 pick year after year. Sure, they had two top-5 picks just a couple years ago in Amari Cooper and Kahlil Mack, but the team as a whole was built with hitting in the later rounds (Carr in the 2nd, Latavius Murray in the 6th) and bringing in the right pieces via free agency (Tackle Donald Penn surprisingly) but more importantly the right GM/coaching. 

If you look past Amari Cooper and Khalil Mack and look at the Raiders other top 5 picks, you'll see that they were all busts as well. The Raiders as a franchise didnt change until they got the correct GM/Coach. 

12 hours ago, varjet said:

Good effort.  

I think we can start with the two most important steps:

1)  Woody Johnson steps away from day to day football operations and appoints a Director of Football Operations.

2)  The business side of the team (selling tickets, etc.) is separated from creation of the football product.

Let the people in 2 figure out how they want to sell what 1 creates.  If the team is not any good, they probably don't want to waste advertising dollars trying to sell tickets.  We don't need to pay the cheerleaders either.  When was the last time you heard the Giants advertise on radio?  They are not perfect, but they try to win on the field.  They have made many bad decisions, but none of them were distracted.  The Jets are a big distraction.

A Football Person needs to be in charge of creating a Football product.  That is not what we have now, and that is why the team is no good.  We can talk about OL, and QBs, and everything else, but the key is that right now Woody wakes up every day and thinks about winning today, selling tickets, parking, beer and jerseys today, getting good press today.  That is not how good NFL teams work.  

Run, don't walk Woody.  I actually think there are alot of smart people who could do the job.  don't know if its Mac yet, but maybe one day.  Tannenbaum, who the Jets beat 2x last year, is taking Miami to the playoffs this year with a plan.  Just like a business, you need a person with a focused mandate and plan.  We don't have that now.  Until we do, we will stink.

Great post. You could have stopped at #1, because that is The problem. 

12 hours ago, j4jets said:

Why only cut 3 vets when you're tanking? I say we go all out and push the cap to 2018. Cut those 3, then ShelDumb, Clady and Giacc. Then trade Mo for nothing. Have $2 billion in cap space for 2018 and pickup everybody off the FA while drafting a QB #1 overall.

Don't forget "bring Back Geno Smith", right?

19 minutes ago, dbatesman said:

I love that the centerpiece of this plan is "draft a franchise QB."

This is the center piece of every teams draft strategy that does not have one. The next part of that strategy is how to develop that draft pick. Many on this board are suggesting a total rebuild of the O-line basically 4 new starters Carpenter being the lone holdover. If this rebuild is the plan it needs to be 2 years at minimum before that draft pick hits the field. It now becomes the age old question what came first the chicken or the egg. For me focus on the O-line a second coming of the David Carr situation is a setback not a solution.

14 hours ago, ASH1962 said:

Good thoughts. I also cannot understand the obsession with Glennon. Realistically I would love to see them cut every single stiff on this team who gave less than 100% effort and believe me, that would leave us with like 3 players left on the roster going forward so that will not happen LOL. I would however, like to see Nick retire as a Jet. He can still play at a fairly high level barring injury of course, Bilal Powell played out of his mind when they let him play. The young WR's played fairly well. Other than that? Darren Lee maybe? Leonard of course. McClendon? Not sure.

Who did I forget? Think hard LOL because their aren't many more.

I don't see what the problem would be with adding Glennon. He's a young QB who a lot of scouts like. Is he the answer? Who knows. But having him come in and compete with Petty and Hack can't be a bad thing IMO. He's still a bit on an unknown with potential upside. It's not like Fitz who everyone knew what he was.

I'd have no problem if the Jets decided to take a shot on him as a potential starter. They have to get creative at the position because there are no top tier QB prospects in this drafts and no savior QB's available via FA. There rarely are.

They are gonna add a QB regardless. It's just a question of whether its via the draft or not.

I'm all for puring the team of expensive FA's. Boomer said it this morning and he's right. You can have some vets sprinkled in but the majority of your team nowadays has to be young. We have to many guys 30 and older playing prominent roles on this team. It was doomed to fail looking back on it now.

I want to keep Marshall. I think he's part of the solution. I could keep Mangold as well as an anchor on the O-Line and maybe try Wesley Johnson out at guard next year. But I think Mangold is probably a goner.

I want to move on from David Harris, Darrelle Revis, Breno Giacomini, Ryan Clady, Erin Henderson, Buster Skrine, Marcus Gilchrist, Matt Forte, Ryan Fitzpatrick.

Some of these guys are obvious goners anyway. I guess probably most haha.

I wanna trade Sheldon Richardson because I think we have 3 players on our D-Line who do the same thing. Richardson is a very good player but he is playing out of position and isn't being used to max potential.

I'll keep Decker and Marshall at receiver because I think both can still play at a high level and Ryan Fitzpatrick looked like a good QB last year throwing to both of them when they were on the field together. Even in the Buffalo game this year he was great. I think the Decker injury has had a massive effect on how the offense operates. Especially the QB. I want a young QB throwing to these two guys with Enunwa and Anderson being mixed in as well.

And I want to start the rebuild by addressing the O-Line. In a perfect world I would love to see the Jets be able to draft 2 offensive lineman within their first 3 picks in the upcoming draft.

I think this team has some nice talent. 

I think this team has some good veterans.

I think this team has no good, young QB.

That is the biggest problem for the Jets and a number of other teams in the NFL. A good, and preferably YOUNG QB is absolutely critical to a team's success. Once you have that, you can build around that player.  

Of course, I realize there are teams that DO have good QBs and are still bad. Some still young, some not.  But let's look at some of those QBs.

Dalton- the Bengals are bad this year, but have been very good recently.

Luck- same thing. Bad this year, but have seen success in recent years. 

Brees- they won a SB.

Rivers- Bad this year, bad last year, but Rivers gave them some seasons where they had an opportunity to compete for a title.

Newton- Bad this year. Made it to the SB last year.

It takes time, it takes good scouting, and it takes a bit of luck. But the Jets need to get their hands on a legit QB and the rest will be easy. I say this with all seriousness. I am really hoping that Hack develops into a legit Franchise QB. He doesn't have to be a Pro Bowler right away, he just has to be good and continue to get better as a team is built around him. I think he will have a shot to start next season. I think fans underestimate him. I think they look at the bad (which at times looks really bad) and ignore the intangibles this kid has. The work ethic, leadership, smarts, toughness, etc. The talent is obvious, I think everyone sees it.

If Hack DOES turn into that guy, the Jets have enough talent on the team where they can make some cuts, bring in some FAs, continue building through the draft, and field a competitive team as soon as next year. It will take a couple of years for them to be serious contenders. But it all starts with the QB position. 

I think a lot of fans look at the team, they look at the aging vets, they completely disregard Hack (suggesting that the Jets should tank for a high draft pick in 2018 to get a QB, etc.), and they say this team won't win anything for the next 4-5 years. Well, they may not win a SB- last I heard its not that easy. But they can be competitive as soon as next year and continue improving with the right FA moves and a bit of luck with the draft and player development.

Just look at the Giants. They have a Franchise QB. They invested heavily in the defense via FA (Vernon, Snacks, Jenkins). They drafted smart and got a bit lucky (Collins, Apple, and most importantly Beckham). They also got Kennard in the 5th, who is a very nice young LB. And now they have one of the top defenses in the league and are almost certain to be in the playoffs, despite the NFCE, Patriot-like dominance by the Cowboys. They did this all with an aging QB (35) no less.

In the NFL you can go from worst to first faster than in any other league. The Jets have a great opportunity this offseason to draft top talent, cut under-performing, over-paid veterans to free up a ton of cap, and develop a talented young QB (Hack). If I was the Jets, I would do exactly that. Focus on developing Hack- i.e. give him every opportunity, give him weapons on offense and make sure he has protection up front. I would cut a number of vets that have been playing poorly (excluding Wilk, who the Jets invested heavily in, and for good reason), all the names have already been mentioned. Make sure the O-line is solidified (via FA vets and the draft- this is very doable). And go hard after FA players that are in their prime or still have their best years ahead of them, players you expect to be around for some time. Two guys on this list are Gilmore and Collins. Gilmore may not be a shutdown CB but he is young, has improved every year and is good enough to play on the outside. The Jets need a replacement for Revis and Gilmore/Burris could end up being a nice combination on the outside with Skrine in the slot. I would imagine the Jets draft a CB high as well. Collins is a nice fit for the Jets hybrid 3-4. He is a very good pass rusher and is solid against the run. A balanced LB that the Jets need. He's in his prime and should be around for a while.     

Pitt, Baltimore, NE, GB, Seattle...seem to be consistently good and don't draft at the top. For Seattle Sherman was a 5th round pick and Russ a 3rd. Dak for Dallas was a 4th rounder. Antonio Brown was a 6th rounder? Key in all those organizations is that the Management has a set plan and they follow it. Jets plan is not having one and they follow that very successfully. 

1 hour ago, ScarletKnight89 said:

I'm all for puring the team of expensive FA's. Boomer said it this morning and he's right. You can have some vets sprinkled in but the majority of your team nowadays has to be young. We have to many guys 30 and older playing prominent roles on this team. It was doomed to fail looking back on it now.

I want to keep Marshall. I think he's part of the solution. I could keep Mangold as well as an anchor on the O-Line and maybe try Wesley Johnson out at guard next year. But I think Mangold is probably a goner.

I want to move on from David Harris, Darrelle Revis, Breno Giacomini, Ryan Clady, Erin Henderson, Buster Skrine, Marcus Gilchrist, Matt Forte, Ryan Fitzpatrick.

Some of these guys are obvious goners anyway. I guess probably most haha.

I wanna trade Sheldon Richardson because I think we have 3 players on our D-Line who do the same thing. Richardson is a very good player but he is playing out of position and isn't being used to max potential.

I'll keep Decker and Marshall at receiver because I think both can still play at a high level and Ryan Fitzpatrick looked like a good QB last year throwing to both of them when they were on the field together. Even in the Buffalo game this year he was great. I think the Decker injury has had a massive effect on how the offense operates. Especially the QB. I want a young QB throwing to these two guys with Enunwa and Anderson being mixed in as well.

And I want to start the rebuild by addressing the O-Line. In a perfect world I would love to see the Jets be able to draft 2 offensive lineman within their first 3 picks in the upcoming draft.

I agree for the most part. I think Henderson is a vet guy you keep (especially if Harris is cut), because he gives you nice, cheap veteran depth at ILB. I think Matt Forte is another guy you keep b/c he can still play and he is versatile. Skrine is a tough one. I think he is suited best to play in the slot where he can also be an effective blitzer. So, IMO, he pretty much played out of position all season. His salary is not structured in such a way that makes sense for the team to cut him. If I'm not mistaken, cutting him would incur a 5mil cap hit and only free up 6mil in base salary.     

One thing I'd like to add is that the Jets are pretty old right now but it's almost guaranteed that they will get considerably younger next year. I get it, some of their 'best', most prominent players are aging vets. But here are the players currently on the roster over 30 and a lot of them are certain to be cap casualties, making this team immediately younger. 

Fitz- 34 (he's a goner)

Folk- 32 (he's a kicker)

Harris- 32 (still a good player, declining, liability in coverage, probably another cap casualty)

Marshall- 32 (still a very good player. The Jets #1 WR)

T.Purdum- 32 (he's a long snapper)

Mangold- 32 (still a good player, probably another cap casualty)

Breno- 31 (he's a goner)

Revis- 31 (over-paid, declining, an almost certain cap casualty) 

Forte- 31 (still a good player. I think he has plenty left in the tank. Will probably be the starting RB for the Jets next year.)

K.Davis- 31 (whatever. blocking TE. cheap vet. If he helps the team fine, if he doesn't cut him.)

Clady- 30 (still a good player, most likely a cap casualty due to constant injuries).

McLendon- 30 (still a good player and will probably be the starting NT for the Jets next year)

So you look at this list, out of the 12, 2 are cheap special teamers that can play into their late thirties and still do their job (Purdum, Folk). 4 are almost certain to be let go, replaced, etc due to poor play, injury and/or salary (Clady, Revis, Breno, Fitz). 3 are still good players and may stick around or may be released due to their salaries, but are still players that can be productive (Harris, Marshall, Mangold). Two are pretty much guaranteed to be a starters next year despite salary, injury, etc. (McLendon, Forte). And one is a cheap, non-factor vet (K.Davis) who the Jets can keep or release depending on how they play to use him.   

So lets put Purdum, Folk and K.Davis out of the discussion. Let's assume keeping McLendon around is a good thing. Let's assume the Jets cut Clady, Revis, Breno and let Fitz walk- purely to free up cap space and move on from over-paid, under-performing players. You can pretty much assume that will happen.

Well, not we are left with Harris, Marshall, Mangold and Forte as the only prominent, highly paid, 30 or over veteran starters on this team. I have no problem with that. And some of these guys could still get cut to free up cap space.   

Pats have 10 players 30 or over. Dolphins have 8. Bills have 11. 

Archived