NFL Rumors / Signings / Cuts / Trades (Non-Jets)

C Mart

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Today's Jets free agency recap ... Arrivals: None. Departures: They cut injured RB Khiry Robinson, saving $1.1 million on the cap. They re-signed LT Ben Ijalana (two years, $11 million) and LB Josh Martin (two years, $4.3 million). They extended second-round tenders to CB Marcus Williams and C Wesley Johnson. The big story: They reached out to free-agent QB Jay Cutler.

2 hours ago, BigRy56 said:

It would've been nice to check off a need in the secondary today. We've got a huge weakness there.

agreed, but they really shouldn't have been shopping today anyway.  It takes time to get over a Tanny style off season, lol

27 minutes ago, sourceworx said:

Either him or Trubisky (or both) will be there at #6. I doubt the Browns take a QB #1 overall, and the Bears are almost certainly not taking a QB now. 

I hope your right and I hope the Jets take a flier on Watson. I would draft him without hesitation.

3 minutes ago, Sarge4Tide said:

Keeping Lemonier  and Martin are good moves.  Thought it would take more to keep Martin 

Let's see if Greene can get something out of Lemonier.  Seems to have the talent. 

53 minutes ago, Pcola said:

The problem with the Jets drafting one of these guys is that there are no day one starters.  Trubisky is a one year starter at NC.  Not necessarily a juggernaut football powerhouse.  Nor their schedule.  Watson may be better but with have to adjust to the NFL game.  Neither of these players should be anywhere near the field in year one.  Let alone on a team where your current starting tackles are Ijalana and Shell.

A team with plans to draft one of these guys should already have a starter in place.  A veteran that can mentor and educate.  Someone like the complete opposite of Jay Cutler.

Everyone has any opinion on whether or not to tank.  IMO, with all the players the Jets were "linked" to, I don't think the Front Office and HC want any part of that.  But, as circumstances would dictate, we will be in the running for the top pick whether we want to or not.  

Watson is a day 1 starter.  Theres no question about that.  If we take him at 6 hes out there week 1 and will not be in over his head.

It looks like Glennon's deal is 2 years.  Do the Bears take Kizer or Trubitzky and develop them?  Both are Midwest guys and could use some seasoning.  

I see 2 scenarios:

Either the top non-QBs are all picked, and the Jets are staring at the QBs.  Those players are Garrett, Adams, Foster.  Maybe Hooker and Lattimore (they have top class athleticim, just injury issues).    I think in that case they the Jets go with a QB and try and develop them all.  They could always trade Hack, Petty or the draft pick later, even if they pick up a QB before the draft (likely).

The top QBs are all picked before the Jets pick.  In that case they take one of the star defenders.  They should pray Adams is there. 

I think Petty's days could be numbered.  I think it Jonathan Allen will get drafted lower than anticipated.

Cupboard is looking bare for a veteran QB. 

I call Jets trade a conditional 2018 6th rounder to New Orleans for QB Luke McCown who's in the final year of a 2 year deal @ the BARGAIN price of $1.5M for 2017.  OC Morton has a veteran QB to tutor the pups and a player he's worked with from his previous post in NO. 

Let's Give him that Chance to SHINE in 2017! :D

16 minutes ago, Gas2No99 said:

I call Jets trade a conditional 2018 6th rounder to New Orleans for QB Luke McCown who's in the final year of a 2 year deal @ the BARGAIN price of $1.5M for 2017.  OC Morton has a veteran QB to tutor the pups and a player he's worked with from his previous post in NO. 

Nah. Reports rare Morton is NOT tied to a system, which says he doesn't need a QB from former team.  If he was wanting to run a specific system then it would be more likely. 

Keep the pick and build the roster with the players MAC wants.  

9 hours ago, Gas2No99 said:

Jets interested in re-signing Tanner Purdum, source says

probably the best long snapper in the NFL, but I'm not of fan of this resigning .   It might not be a bad idea thou since the Jets will more than likely be breaking in a rookie Place Kicker and a 2nd year punter coming off an up and down year .

9 hours ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Watson is a day 1 starter.  Theres no question about that.  If we take him at 6 hes out there week 1 and will not be in over his head.

Peyton Manning was in over his head when he came out of college and started his 1st year . I would love to take Watson and throw him out there with Petty Hack and a Vet, but I fully expect him to struggle . I expect them all to struggle learning the language of an NFL offense.

If we end up taking Watson I think we all can predict the next 12 months.  

He'll struggle badly.  We'll end up in a prime position to take an elite QB prospect at the top of the next draft but because we just used. #1 pick on Watson, we pass.  So we pass on a highly probable franchise QB because of an act of complete desperation pinning the future of the franchise on a long shot that needs a ton of developing.

Not saying that Watson won't turn out to be a good to great pro, he just won't do it if he comes here.  No pieces around him, and he'd be the starter by May 1.

If we take a QB in this draft, it should be someone like Kessler.  A guy that can give you spot starts because he came from a pro style system and can be your long term back up.  And someone who won't preclude you making a major investment the next draft.

27 minutes ago, Tinstar said:

probably the best long snapper in the NFL, but I'm not of fan of this resigning .   It might not be a bad idea thou since the Jets will more than likely be breaking in a rookie Place Kicker and a 2nd year punter coming off an up and down year .

At least we'd have the best player at one position!

3 minutes ago, KRL said:

Picks can not be traded for stop gap players.  We have to acquire more picks, sign Nick Foles or use

Richardson to acquire a backup QB (McCarron or Daniels) and a pick

If the Jets trade for McCarron, the headline could be: "Macc acquires McC"

7 hours ago, Gas2No99 said:

I've been saying Luke McCown and AJ McCarron are both contractually in the same situation. Ideally we can add one of them at the "low cost" threshold.

19 minutes ago, KRL said:

Picks can not be traded for stop gap players.  We have to acquire more picks, sign Nick Foles or use

More picks.

This is a draft that is deep in many positions, not necessarily QB, but positions we need as many swings as possible at filling. 

The more picks the better.

Honestly, the Browns are a silly organization (we aren't much better), but I love their mindset to attempt moneyball in the NFL. Still have to use the picks on the right guys, but the concept is novel.

30 minutes ago, KRL said:

I think Sheldon is on his way out, but you just can't give him away for a guy like Daniels, who has less career starts than Petty. 

19 minutes ago, SickJetFan said:

Source tells that former QBs coach Kevin Patullo is joining Texas A&M coaching staff as an analyst

this is how bad our QB coach was and I bet the source of the Hack critic

If he is "analyzing" anything more than how much gatorade is in the coolers, he's in way over his head.

25 minutes ago, SickJetFan said:

Source tells that former QBs coach Kevin Patullo is joining Texas A&M coaching staff as an analyst

It is a good point.   I wonder if Marvez, who is reporting this, is the same guy who reported the Hack comments back at the end of the season? that could tentatively suggest a link between Patullo and Marvez and Patullo being the leak.

35 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

More picks.

This is a draft that is deep in many positions, not necessarily QB, but positions we need as many swings as possible at filling. 

The more picks the better.

Honestly, the Browns are a silly organization (we aren't much better), but I love their mindset to attempt moneyball in the NFL. Still have to use the picks on the right guys, but the concept is novel.

I love what the Browns are doing since turnover last year. It's exactly what the Jets should be doing. Especially this off season. Building up the oline to protect whatever QB they'll be putting out there. And getting as many picks as possible. Including next year. 

35 minutes ago, SickJetFan said:

Does that job even pay?

I said it before, but I think Gailey and Patullo completely mailed it in last year (with Fitz and Revis), and it took Bowles 12 games to figure it out.

Archived