Osweiler Traded to Browns

CrazyCarl40

Really interesting trade that makes great sense for both teams.  Yes, it does paint a picture of just how bad a single decision can cost you when u look at opportunity cost, cap space etc.

imo everything Cleveland has been doing in the past year or so, has been top notch.  They're building the proper way, accumulating young talent, and draft picks and not repeating the stupid mistakes of their past by splurging on expensive free agents.

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 minutes ago, Maxman said:

The Browns took that contract and gave up a high draft pick? WOW.

Does O'Brien want Hackenberg back now?

No.. the Browns took that contract and RECEIVED, not gave up, Houston's 2nd and 6th round picks.   Thy also gave up a 4th to Houston 

2 minutes ago, Charlie Brown said:

The Brown are in a far better position for the future than the Jets and IMO it and isn't even close.

So Jets fans can laugh all they want to but the last laugh is unfortunately on us.

Maybe!... But they still need to turn those picks into something... I think we know that having a lot of picks doesn't equal success... 

They did the planning part of this really well so far, but they still need to execute on the back end. 

2 minutes ago, Dcat said:

No.. the Browns took that contract and RECEIVED, not gave up, Houston's 2nd and 6th round picks.   Thy also gave up a 4th to Houston 

Yes EY mentioned that. Makes much more sense.

Well, Mac being from the Texans, it's good A$$wiler wasn't there while Mac was or Texans would have probably got a good deal from the Jets like Richardson, Hack, and this years 2nd round pick. I shouldn't make fun of Mac since I feel he has done pretty well outside of his QB moves, but since that is the most important posistion in football he is running out of chances there. 1 or 2 more goofball QB moves that don't workout and have bad repricussions like wasting years, $, draft picks, etc. is going to get our flyboys to get to work on the new run him out of town banner. 

9 minutes ago, SAR I said:

It looks like he won't take a snap for the Browns, might not be on the roster.

They did this to eat up cap space they didn't want to spend and got a 2nd round draft pick as a bonus.  It was a financial transaction, they don't want the player.

SAR I

So they're going to cut him?

27 minutes ago, jetspenguin said:

lol this has to be a joke...if not the Browns truly are the NFL's worst franchise and I just felt a little better about myself. 

Browns received a 2nd round pick. They had a sh*t ton of salary cap space. They essentially purchased a 2nd round pick for $16mil. They had like over a 104 mil in space. Still have close to $90 mil space, and an extra second round.  Why are they the worst franchise? They can release Brock next year for no more cap hit. 

Osweiler is a stiff.  The Browns probably think it too.  But the Browns can take the salary, add another premium pick, and continue to build their team...

I believe in the Browns' plan.  Again, execution is the question.

1 minute ago, August said:

So they're going to cut him?

It's being speculated.  They are paying him $16M so theoretically they could keep him as a 3rd stringer.  But better to trade him to someone for more picks methinks.

SAR I

14 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

THEY GOT A FREE SECOND ROUND PICK! The cap hit for Osweiller is meaningless to them because they have a ton of cap space they won't be able to use this year. 

Moreover, the Browns need to spend money anyway to meet the salary floor.  Great move on their part.  Browns control the next couple of drafts.

8 minutes ago, SAR I said:

It's being speculated.  They are paying him $16M so theoretically they could keep him as a 3rd stringer.  But better to trade him to someone for more picks methinks.

SAR I

They're probably going to cut him. They're only doing this since they have to spend a certain amount of money, they essentially bought a 2nd round pick. 

13 minutes ago, Hael said:

Really interesting trade that makes great sense for both teams.  Yes, it does paint a picture of just how bad a single decision can cost you when u look at opportunity cost, cap space etc.

imo everything Cleveland has been doing in the past year or so, has been top notch.  They're building the proper way, accumulating young talent, and draft picks and not repeating the stupid mistakes of their past by splurging on expensive free agents.

Bingo. Exactly what I have been saying for months. The Browns are way, way ahead of the Jets right now. 

They will be playing 8-8 ball in 2018. And playoff contenders in 2019.

37 minutes ago, DMan77 said:

I think this indicates the Texans will go after Romo...

Good point and given the fact that Osweiler to Browns is done Texas probably may already have a deal in principal with Romo.

He stays in Texas where his fanbase is.

1 minute ago, Kleckineau said:

Good point and given the fact that Osweiler to Browns is done Texas probably may already have a deal in principal with Romo.

He stays in Texas where his fanbase is.

The rub is he hasn't been released -- Cowboys still trying to work a trade so there's that element in addition to working out a contract.

14 minutes ago, SAR I said:

SAR I

They can offer to eat the contract this year for any trading partner. If they think he's worthless, getting a 7th rounder back this year would be a great deal. He stunk it up last year, but given the level of QB talent in this league, he's still a viable backup. Just not at that money. 

1 minute ago, slats said:

They can offer to eat the contract this year for any trading partner. If they think he's worthless, getting a 7th rounder back this year would be a great deal. He stunk it up last year, but given the level of QB talent in this league, he's still a viable backup. Just not at that money. 

Yep.  They are going to flip him, eat the money (since they need to spend it anyway) and accumulate even more value.  Effin' brilliant!

If Osweiler is a free agent then it's worth looking into. Not as a red shirt but as our starter. But I wouldn't be surprised if he ends up back in Denver. And maybe we get Simien. Not sure why the Browns wouldn't keep him since the are paying for him. 

30 minutes ago, RoadFan said:

Osweiler is a stiff.  The Browns probably think it too.  But the Browns can take the salary, add another premium pick, and continue to build their team...

I believe in the Browns' plan.  Again, execution is the question.

As far as Jets fans go, we have a bigger question than whether or not the Browns can execute their plan, which is, "what is our plan?"

1 hour ago, Pac said:

They gave a 2nd rounder to get rid of him..  that's incredible.

That's great news for the Jets. The Browns got that pick to trade it IMO. #12 plus that #2 and maybe a 3 for Richardson and #6? Could happen if one of the QB's the Browns like are there.

Archived