Chris Berman's Wife Killed In Car Crash

munchmemory

Just saw this.  Always loved Berman, especially on Prime Time.  What an awful thing to have happen.  RIP to his wife as well as thoughts and condolences to Chris.

"Kathy Berman, the wife of longtime ESPN broadcaster Chris Berman, died Tuesday in a car accident in rural Connecticut.

Kathy Berman was killed in a two-car crash near Woodbury, Connecticut. Berman, a teacher, was married to Chris for more than 33 years and had two children, Meredith and Douglas. She was 67.

"This is a devastating tragedy and difficult to comprehend," John Skipper, president of ESPN, said in a statement. "Chris is beloved by all his ESPN colleagues and for good reason: He has a huge heart and has given so much to so many over the years. We know how much his family means to him and all we can do at a moment like this is give him the love and support he will surely need at this hour. Our thoughts and prayers are with Chris, Meredith, Doug and the entire family."

The driver of the other car, Edward Bertulis, of Waterbury, Connecticut, also died in the accident. He was 87.

Chris Berman joined ESPN in 1979. He married Kathy four years later.

Chris left his post as a host of ESPN's Sunday NFL Countdown after 31 seasons in January. He remains with the network after signing a new contract.

Services are pending."

http://www.espn.com/espn/story/_/id/19349242/kathy-berman-wife-espn-icon-chris-berman-dies-car-accident

3 minutes ago, JETSfaninNE said:

So sad and tragic to hear.  He is never celebrating his Birthday again either, what a terrible day all around for the Berman family and friends.

Oh God you're right.  I just saw that today is Chris' birthday.  Plus Mother's Day on Sunday.  Awful.

Sad. RIP. 

Chris Berman is one of the best from ESPN's golden age. He genuinely was funny and hip at one point in time, yes I'm a little old. Like a lot of popular things though, he became a bit overexposed and got a little caught between a generational shift. His sayings and stuff unfortuantely got a litte stale but he  really is a nice, cool guy in person. Thoughts and prayers for him and his family. 

Huge fan of Berman's, horrible tragedy. Condolences to he and his family. We piss and moan because our football team always stinks, but when life's reality hits, it changes perspective on things...

1 minute ago, munchmemory said:

Thought the thread should have a shot of the Berman family in happier times.  Again, condolences.

Chris+Berman+Honored+Hollywood+Walk+Fame

Terrible news and just so sad.  RIP.  Condolences to the Berman family.

Very sad.  I just did the research on Google Maps after reading the police report and I have to conclude that she was speeding rather markedly for this to happen on a straightaway.  Her car rear-ended his car sending him spinning into a pole and flipping her car upside down into an adjacent embankment into a small body of water.

At 2:15 heading east it wasn't sun glare.  It's likely the other driver was slowing down to turn or had a medical problem or was just driving slowly, but if she were doing the 35 mph speed limit no way this happens IMHO.

SAR I

I was/am a fan of Boomer ever since seeing him live at work during the draft the year Keyshawn was drafted.

There is something very real about him in a medium where everything seems fake.

A tragedy ... life is so suckily random at times... two seniors who likely never met, die in an instant.

Grew up with Boomer and Tom Jackson on NFL Primetime every Sunday night early in the 2000s. I used to avoid looking at the score ticker at the bottom of the 1 & 4 PM games because I wanted to hear the highlights as told by the two of them. Truly special, and a big reason why football became my favorite sport.

Condolences to the family. 

8 hours ago, ASH1962 said:

Huge fan of Berman's, horrible tragedy. Condolences to he and his family. We piss and moan because our football team always stinks, but when life's reality hits, it changes perspective on things...

Ain't this the truth...wish I had learned this an easier way but life sure does have a way of showing you how little sports matters in the grand scheme of things. 

7 hours ago, SAR I said:

Very sad.  I just did the research on Google Maps after reading the police report and I have to conclude that she was speeding rather markedly for this to happen on a straightaway.  Her car rear-ended his car sending him spinning into a pole and flipping her car upside down into an adjacent embankment into a small body of water.

At 2:15 heading east it wasn't sun glare.  It's likely the other driver was slowing down to turn or had a medical problem or was just driving slowly, but if she were doing the 35 mph speed limit no way this happens IMHO.

SAR I

Keep your opinion to yourself .

RIP .

Archived