Complaints about Todd Bowles thread: MERGED

freestater

• Replies 318
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 minutes ago, greenwave81 said:

The fact that Bowles found Morton has no bearing on the premise of the argument that Bowles is a suboptimal HC.  Macc is an entirely different conversation.

Bowles also sticks with Kacy Rodgers...does he take no fault for that or the Defense in general?

You reward performance, and Morton has performed no matter who found him.

Bowles is the head coach. He is graded on the offense, defense and special teams. So Morton doing well 100% has a bearing on Bowles as a head coach.

People are saying Bowles is conservative at the half. Weeks ago he got killed for not being conservative at the half. Who knows what Morton said, he could have said McCown is hurting, Petty sucks, let's just sit on it at get to the half.

At the end of the season everything has to be evaluated. My vote right now would be to bring them both back. Because blowing things up every three years hasn't worked out. That said, right now Bowles and Macc both suck.

I wonder how many first team reps Petty has gotten this season. No one can come in cold like that and look good. In fact, I think that is ANOTHER PRIME reason to fire this jackass. My God the Jets have hired two of the WORST HC's in NFL history, back to back. 
He didn't get 1 practice rep with 1st team from training camp to Sundays game. McCown a journeyman was Bowles Savior he ignored the, kid qbs

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

6 hours ago, Maxman said:

So John Morton has the offense playing at a level higher than the talent level Macc supplied. Todd Bowles hired John Morton. But somehow in this equation Bowles is worse than Macc. Interesting.

Not the talent level he supplied but the inexperience due to a large rebuild. Macc has been on board with the full re-build and I'm sure Bowles agrees things needed to change so a lot of Vets who created a crappy locker room were dumped. I'm not sure how any of this has much to do with Bowles terrible decisions on game day . Whether you have vets or rookies you still need to make the right calls on Sunday and Bowles simply has not done that nor has he Improved in any way since he still can't hold on too Timeouts and when he does he has no idea how to use them.

I think Macc has done a good job the first year into an all out re build since the team has over achieved this coming year will tell a lot on how this team needs to move forward with Macc and Bowles.

6 hours ago, Maxman said:

Bowles is the head coach. He is graded on the offense, defense and special teams. So Morton doing well 100% has a bearing on Bowles as a head coach.

People are saying Bowles is conservative at the half. Weeks ago he got killed for not being conservative at the half. Who knows what Morton said, he could have said McCown is hurting, Petty sucks, let's just sit on it at get to the half.

At the end of the season everything has to be evaluated. My vote right now would be to bring them both back. Because blowing things up every three years hasn't worked out. That said, right now Bowles and Macc both suck.

10-6  4-12  5-12  Not exactly awe inspiring seasons. Even the 10-6 record had many nuances to it - SOS, Geno getting smacked (who knows how bad he would have been) Fitzmania’s 31 TD’s, winning numerous games by few points, opponents blowing games they should have won - it could easily have reversed that to 6-10. And Bowles really laid a shrimp ? in the Buffalo loss that would have gotten us into the playoffs. Sorry but he has made way way to many mistakes to be brought back. Let the GM be the damn GM. Let Mac- who I’d rather see replaced, but he won’t- pick his OWN coach and brainstorm with the new coach on who and what they feel needs to be addressed. Enough of this nonsense where the coach reports to owner and not the GM. Accountability Structure Communication. This other bullsh*t just opens the door to division and finger pointing. 

Not the talent level he supplied but the inexperience due to a large rebuild. Macc has been on board with the full re-build and I'm sure Bowles agrees things needed to change so a lot of Vets who created a crappy locker room were dumped. I'm not sure how any of this has much to do with Bowles terrible decisions on game day . Whether you have vets or rookies you still need to make the right calls on Sunday and Bowles simply has not done that nor has he Improved in any way since he still can't hold on too Timeouts and when he does he has no idea how to use them.
I think Macc has done a good job the first year into an all out re build since the team has over achieved this coming year will tell a lot on how this team needs to move forward with Macc and Bowles.
How many games has bowles lost with the terrible decisions that you mention?

Why did macc need to rebuild in year 3? The team had a ton of cap room when he got here.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

47 minutes ago, Maxman said:

How many games has bowles lost with the terrible decisions that you mention?

Why did macc need to rebuild in year 3? The team had a ton of cap room when he got here.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

I'm not going to go back and analyze how many mistakes Bowles has made or how they affected the outcome of games the one sad part is the guy keeps making the same mistakes over and over. His clock management stinks, the ridiculous challenges he has made over the past 3 years stink, the constant burning of time outs because either his players are not prepared or because he just happens to call them at the most inopportune time.

You bring up that Bowles hired Morton because I praised Morton yet have nothing to say about his buddy Kacy Rogers who Bowles routinely strips of play calling duties. Since you asked for reasons I bash Bowles I'll ask you what has Bowles done in 3 years that makes you say "hey this guy could be a good HC"  

In the case of Macc he came to this team and his owner felt he had enough veterans to make a final run so Macc used the cap money and brought in some players and took a team that was supposed to suck to a 10-6 record. It seemed obvious to most non Jets fans that maybe the Jets had one more playoff run in them but it didnt turn out that way. The locker room was a mess and some of the vets just mailed it in. So at that point it made total sense to blow the whole thing up and start a rebuild. I think Macc came in here with a plan for the first 2 years endorsed by the owner and it simply didnt work out. 

Now Macc has started year one of the rebuild with some promising young players that Jets fans can get excited about and a great cap situation and a good amount of draft picks. Not sure what the problem is but we still have a HC who refuses to play the young QB's on the roster. The Rams trotted out Goff last year and he stunk just Imagine if that was the Jets LOL funny how that turned around this year since they actually gave him the chance to turn it around and learn on the field and found a Head Coach that was not a moron. We still have a moron for a HC and a 2nd round pick who has still not been given a chance. I guess maybe its Macc who makes the calls on game day who is going to start and who is not

10 hours ago, Maxman said:

So John Morton has the offense playing at a level higher than the talent level Macc supplied. Todd Bowles hired John Morton. But somehow in this equation Bowles is worse than Macc. Interesting.

Ever try and build a model car as a youngster with a hand me down kit an older cousin left behind ? You put all the pieces you got together and it starts to almost look like a car and then you realize aint no more pieces left? You are Bowles and Macc is the cousin. 

3 hours ago, BigO said:

10-6  4-12  5-12  Not exactly awe inspiring seasons. Even the 10-6 record had many nuances to it - SOS, Geno getting smacked (who knows how bad he would have been) Fitzmania’s 31 TD’s, winning numerous games by few points, opponents blowing games they should have won - it could easily have reversed that to 6-10. And Bowles really laid a shrimp ? in the Buffalo loss that would have gotten us into the playoffs. Sorry but he has made way way to many mistakes to be brought back. Let the GM be the damn GM. Let Mac- who I’d rather see replaced, but he won’t- pick his OWN coach and brainstorm with the new coach on who and what they feel needs to be addressed. Enough of this nonsense where the coach reports to owner and not the GM. Accountability Structure Communication. This other bullsh*t just opens the door to division and finger pointing. 

The structure, if you could call it that,  of having the GM and HC report to the owner is all on the Johnsons. By design they are not on the same page. And there is no indication despite that not working out for the Johnsons' entire time as owners that it will be changed. 

12 hours ago, UnTypicalJET said:

You have a QB who you know isn’t capable of doing anything but ballooning a 20-0 game to a 40 point game. What was he suppose to do, sling it around. The kid hadn’t had proper preparation to put him in that situation and that would have killed his ego even more considering he is the starter the Last three. You better run the ball and save yourself some embarrassment or y’all would have really talked then! Let’s face it. The Jets for most of the season have taken knives to gun fights. Yes a Anderson or Powell can do damage but not like a Von Miller or Aquib Talib! Smh

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

Yes. He was suppose to sling it around because they were down big AND the run game wasn't working AND any hope they had of making the playoffs rested on them somehow coming back and winning that game. And I know they weren't going to the playoffs this year but that's not the point. The team was still alive. You play with what you have. The Jets needed quick scores, so yes, you sling it around and if it turns into a 40 point loss it is what it is. You don't run the clock out.

Mac did his job building a team in 2015 and Bowles got 10 wins of it. 

It is clear that Mac and Bowles have been given unclear and often contradictory directions.  It is also clear that each of them have underperformed and are probably not the answer.  I just don’t know how to replace them and who to replace them with. 

I would give them one year extensions and hire a Coughlin.  See how they grow while improving personnel and finding a qb.  If a Dorsey frees up next year and it does not look like it is heading in the right direction, do what Cleveland did.  

15 minutes ago, varjet said:

Mac did his job building a team in 2015 and Bowles got 10 wins of it. 

It is clear that Mac and Bowles have been given unclear and often contradictory directions.  It is also clear that each of them have underperformed and are probably not the answer.  I just don’t know how to replace them and who to replace them with. 

I would give them one year extensions and hire a Coughlin.  See how they grow while improving personnel and finding a qb.  If a Dorsey frees up next year and it does not look like it is heading in the right direction, do what Cleveland did.  

How do you expect them to perform well with if theres an unclear direction above them. I think Woody finally snapped out of it with the "win now" mentality this past off season, but I still think the gm and hc partnership is out of whack. Mac should have a chance to hire his own guy and be completely on the same page of their goal.

12 hours ago, Maxman said:

Never reinforce failure. Discipline is as much a problem with this team led by Bowles as it was with Rex. Clock Management harkens back to the Herm Days. The team comes out flat and lifeless again and again. Ineffective (or injured) veterans are left on the field  to continue playing while younger, faster players are left on the bench.

The Defense has never made a big stop or taken control of a game, even in '15 every game boiled down to a who has the ball last slugfest. At least Rex could be counted on to bring a fired up defense to the occasional game. We get a modern equivalent of the "Cover Who?". 

In the past 3 seasons, give me an example of ONE excellent in game or halftime adjustment that was effective, or beside the first scripted drive successes the team was having earlier this year, give me an example of an innovative game plan.

He has failed on every level a head coach can fail in. He isnt a tone setter. He doesn't field a smart or disciplined team. His defense (his supposed strength) has been a PROBLEM for 3 years now. He doesn't inspire his team. He doesn't bring adjustments or X and O accumem. He isnt innovative.

Whats the goddamn point of having him? Hes nice? LOL. 

1 hour ago, MDL_JET said:

How do you expect them to perform well with if theres an unclear direction above them. I think Woody finally snapped out of it with the "win now" mentality this past off season, but I still think the gm and hc partnership is out of whack. Mac should have a chance to hire his own guy and be completely on the same page of their goal.

• The reason I said give them one year extensions is to give them a benefit of the doubt because of the unclear direction.
  • But even given the unclear direction, each of Bowles and Mac have raised enough doubts to not deserve full extensions.  They each have alot more to prove, and each of them need more support if they are ever going to be successful.  Quite frankly, the Johnsons should have hired Dorsey either above Mac or as a real GM as you request above-Sashi's big mistakes were worse than Mac's, but one can argue he has brought in a better base. 
  • Bowles needs a real defensive coordinator.
  • Mac was the Texans' director of college scouting, and he worked for Rick Smith, who is not Ted Thompson.  I think a justification for the Jets org structure is that perhaps Mac is not qualified to be the Coaches' boss, and that both should report to the Team President.  The Problem with there is that the Johnsons' are not qualified to be Team President.  Thus, the suggestion that a real Team President be inserted above MacBowles.  

I liked what I've seen from Bowles this year. It looked like he was growing into the job as head coach. But on at least two occasions when the Jets had critical games with playoff implications (week 17 and last Sunday) the team came up flat and played poorly. For that you blame the players first and the coaching staff next. If he finishes the year at 5-11 it's not a good season. But I give him another year. 

32 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

I liked what I've seen from Bowles this year. It looked like he was growing into the job as head coach. But on at least two occasions when the Jets had critical games with playoff implications (week 17 and last Sunday) the team came up flat and played poorly. For that you blame the players first and the coaching staff next. If he finishes the year at 5-11 it's not a good season. But I give him another year. 

Problem with that line of thinking is that the teams (2015 vs 2017) on the field are 2 completely different rosters. That says to me that it is not a players problem, it's more of a coaching problem.

The only two coaches left from that first season are Bowles and his bff Kacy Rodgers.  Not surprising, those two idiots have been the two worst guys on the coaching staff.  If Bowles is retained, nothing will change.  You can all basically consider next season a wash if that is the case.  The man is a clueless buffoon.

13 hours ago, Mogglez said:

Problem with that line of thinking is that the teams (2015 vs 2017) on the field are 2 completely different rosters. That says to me that it is not a players problem, it's more of a coaching problem.

The only two coaches left from that first season are Bowles and his bff Kacy Rodgers.  Not surprising, those two idiots have been the two worst guys on the coaching staff.  If Bowles is retained, nothing will change.  You can all basically consider next season a wash if that is the case.  The man is a clueless buffoon.

I can't see any situation where Kacy Rodgers can be retained. His side of the ball has under-performed compared to the offense, despite having way more talent investment. Morton has done more with less; Rodgers less with more. The O has saved the D many times this year, I don't recall a game where the D carried the load for us at all.

IMHO, if Bowles doesn't hold him accountable and fire him at year end, then Bowles himself needs to go for that reason alone, regardless of all the other factors for & against.

14 hours ago, MDL_JET said:

Aright. Can him. Let's just get this over with already.

Should have just said "we came out flat" but then the follow up question is "who is to blame?" Saying this quote, while it infuriates fans, diffuses some of the media angst.

I didn't see this interview though so I'm not sure what else was said.

14 hours ago, Rangers9 said:

I'm trying to wrap my head around this.  So you are okay with surrendering any chance to score with 1:12 left in the half because Bowles wanted to 'regroup' at halftime?  Because that, to me, is the tipping point in this debate.  I don't ever want to see the coach of my NFL team do that.  Not even once.  And he's done it twice this year.  

12 minutes ago, bla bla bla said:

Should have just said "we came out flat" but then the follow up question is "who is to blame?" Saying this quote, while it infuriates fans, diffuses some of the media angst.

I didn't see this interview though so I'm not sure what else was said.

He was told something like "some of the players thought you guys didn't have the same energy on the road as you do at home" and the Bowles made that comment and also said "coming out in pregame, warm ups etc thought we had good energy, we just didn't play well".

Either way, not playing well, energy or not, they're losing a majority of their games over the past 3 years with Bowles on the road. It's a problem and he's just deflecting it. It's not as if they're on the road playing tough teams. Miami, Denver, Bucs. Clearly something needs to change.

Archived