Kirk Cousins to Vikings done deal per P.O. source ( not mine)

Skeptable

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Warfish said:

He's a nobody.  He's all pure fan projection, he's got no resume worth taking a flier on.

I'll say it again:  He had one good year, behind an in-his-prime Adrian Peterson.  He's never had more than 14 TD passes in a year.  He's basically a 1-1 TD/INT guy.  And he suffered a catastrophic non-contact injury and hasn't played a meaningful snap in over two years.

Any claim that this kid is anything more than a 100% experiment based on his potential coming out of college is lying to themselves.  

Oh I agree he is 100% an experiment, but you talk as if he started 5 years before getting injured. We now NEED to trade up for a QB but I would still rather Bridgewater than Hack starting in the meantime, and that is more a reflection on Hack than anything else. But the 1% chance Bridgewater can become something is 1% more than Hack, McCown and Fitz. 

Regardless, once again the Jets are led by absolute clowns. So glad we won those two extra games last year so we have to give up our entire draft to take a kid we could have had on our own if the Jets had any foresight and critical thinking. 

4 minutes ago, HawkeyeJet said:

So no Cousins.  Moving on.  Lots wanted a Rookie QB anyway, so this shouldn't rattle tons of cages.

Im sure it will, though.

If Macc completely changes his MO and trades up for the QB he wants, I’d be shocked. We’re more likely to get the scraps of whatever is left over. 

That said, the fact Cousins didn’t even schedule a visit with the Jets, is pretty damning. 

Hard to beat what the Vikings had to offer.  Not often that a QB of Cousins level become a FA and just as rare that a 13 win team that made it to the conference CG are in need of a QB.  

Time to draft a QB, bring in a vet to help mentor him and move on.  

1 minute ago, New York Mick said:

What’s with the 3 year deals. You’d think as a player you’d want 5 years incase you get injured or suck. 

Kirk has bet on himself the last few years and won. He is doing the same now. Get the $27/$28M per year now and in 3 years when the market is reset again, use the Jets impressive cap room as leverage to get another team to pay $35M per year for another 3 year contract. 

17 minutes ago, Greensleeves said:

This is what everyone has been saying for a few weeks. There was no reason for Cousins to keep the Jets in the loop aside from trying to raise his price. Better everything right now in Minnesota. We should just continue to rebuild the right way, not half a**ed. Move up to #3, draft a rookie and build around him. No other way to go than that. We aren't a win now team. Plus, we keep the Dolphins or Bills from getting a top QB.

I'm down for this. And that has to be the goal. Getting a better QB then the Dolphins and Bills do from this draft.

7 minutes ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

If Macc completely changes his MO and trades up for the QB he wants, I’d be shocked. We’re more likely to get the scraps of whatever is left over. 

That said, the fact Cousins didn’t even schedule a visit with the Jets, is pretty damning. 

Did he have visits with Arizona and Denver? 

Just now, New York Mick said:

What’s with the 3 year deals. You’d think as a player you’d want 5 years incase you get injured or suck. 

It is surprising.  If he was going to get guaranteed money why wouldn’t he want more than 3 years (though maybe they  only offered 3 years guaranteed) I get the feeling Cousins thinks he’s raising the price for QBs and that he’s really going to cash in in another 3 years.  Maybe when he’s 33 and about to fall off the cliff the Jets can sign him to a long term guaranteed deal.  

Honestly, I’m happy he’s gone   I don’t think he’s worth the money he’d ask from us   I agree with those saying to do a serious rebuild   Draft a QB if a good one falls to us (the big 4 or else I’d be happy w Lauletta in round 2) else just play Hack 

15 minutes ago, bitonti said:

fans will see this as a failure of the front office but this was always about where Kirk Cousins (and his wife) wanted to live

it was also about getting a short deal where he could get wins and then yet another contract in 3 years. 

Cousins was never a fit, those who thought they could just flash cash loafs and have the dude show up were being hopeful 

People seems to just pass this fact over right here. Cousins wanted a fully guaranteed 3 year deal.  Surely, we could have offered more money then the Vikings over those three years, but Cousins is betting that with that roster he is going to have a number of deep runs into the playoffs and when he's set for free agency again in three years, he'll be asking for $40/million a year instead of 28.  

He's got a easier path to that 2nd payday with the Vikings, not the Jets and there was nothing the FO could do about it.

1 minute ago, New York Mick said:

Wtf. How does that workout 

:confused:

The current CBA expires in 2021. The sentiment seems to be that the players will get a better deal in the new CBA. Signing a 3 year deal makes you a FA after the 2021 season, the first year after the new CBA is agreed upon

7 minutes ago, New York Mick said:

The 3 years are fully guaranteed.  If he signed a 5-year deal he likely wouldn't have gotten it fully guaranteed, and would have had to draw up a new contract in 3 years anyways.

Now, if he does well, he can get one more payday. 

29 minutes ago, Warfish said:

If, as news seems to inducate, we once again failed to land the QB our GM clearly wanted in Cousins, I would strongly suggest tghe best route this team could take is to suck itup, NOT spend money on some third tier veteran riskbag like Bridgewater, or a never was like McCown, and to start Hackenberg in 2018 or career backups with 10 passes to their name like Maccarron.

Let him fail if he fails, he's a god damn 2nd round draft pick, and sucky or not, Macc and Bowles should have to live with their choices.

Draft a QB at 6 or move up, doesn;t matter, none of these kids are day 1 NFL ready.  So save the time, effort, and start Hack till the draft pick is ready.

No more JAG bridge QB's to nowhere.  No more excuses for Macc and Bowles to "exceed expectations" with smoke and mirrors and a JAG veteran QB.

Start Hack, then start the Draft Pick when/if ready.

We are not a competitor.  We're in full rebuild mode.

The ownership of this organization has given control to a GM and Coach who are in complete "save their own ass" mode. I absolutely agree with your sentiment. And while I do think stability and continuity at the GM and Coaching spots are very important - had we fired both, dont you think a new regime would be far more open to your suggestion? Why wouldnt they be?

Instead....it's Classic Jets!

Just now, rangerous said:

how does anyone know what the jets offered?  they don't.  in the end cousins felt the vikings was a better fit.  time to move on and find a vet to go along with the draft pick.

People still think we're going to find the future QB at 6 this year? 

Oh boy.

17 minutes ago, HawkeyeJet said:

So no Cousins.  Moving on.  Lots wanted a Rookie QB anyway, so this shouldn't rattle tons of cages.

Im sure it will, though.

Of course it's a big deal. Cousins would have meant that these dimwits wouldn't be forced into a tough decision. Now they are in no man's land and none of us really have confidence that they will make a sensible long term decision here. 

There are several bad decisions on the table here that can set back the franchise for a few years and we are giving two guys with no coherent plan the rights to pull the trigger. 

Archived