Jets Sign C Spencer Long

C Mart

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 3/14/2018 at 11:34 PM, jetstream23 said:

hmmm....I can't see it but anything is possible I guess.  If I'm the Jets my Board is basically the Top 4 QBs + Barkley + Chubb.  As much as I'd love Quenton Nelson I would only consider that had we signed Cousins.  And, in that case, I might trade down from #6 to the 8-10 area and try to get him...or maybe a Calvin Ridley.

We kinda need a player on the line like Nelson as it stands today .  Unless we can find one pure like him later.  But I doubt it

11 hours ago, NYJets8 said:

We kinda need a player on the line like Nelson as it stands today .  Unless we can find one pure like him later.  But I doubt it

Actually the point is we do not need that at all. It’d certainly be nice, but it’s not actually needed. A QB and someone who can get to the QB — these are actually needed (i.e. required) positions.

A merely good guard is more than adequate enough, and are readily available without surrendering a high #1 pick in a top-heavy QB draft class, which would carry the trade value of two #1 picks around #15-20, plus the extra cap room to sign a much better starter at still another position. One guard prospect isn’t worth anywhere near that.

3 hours ago, Dunnie said:

I would actually support Nelson at 6 ... those that have seen him play would agree. I have not seen a guard like this since Faneca.

Heard this exact same thing in 2013.

And before you say, “Yeah but he’s a much better prospect,” that’s also what was said (and is simply untrue anyway).

Over and over and over, testimonials about being an absolutely perfect and flawless guard prospect; the rarest, generational talent among guard prospects that comes along maybe once every 20 years, that a truly smart team simply couldn’t pass on, and whose future HOF induction was guaranteed.

Even if this one lives up to his draft hype at his position, he’s still just a guard.

2 hours ago, NYJets8 said:

I'm a big proponent of investing in the O-line. But prefer that we do it at the Tackle spot like the Giants just did with Solder.

With huge needs at QB & edge rusher, I don't see how we take a guard.

19 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Heard this exact same thing in 2013.

And before you say, “Yeah but he’s a much better prospect,” that’s also what was said (and is simply untrue anyway).

Over and over and over, testimonials about being an absolutely perfect and flawless guard prospect; the rarest, generational talent among guard prospects that comes along maybe once every 20 years, that a truly smart team simply couldn’t pass on, and whose future HOF induction was guaranteed.

Even if this one lives up to his draft hype at his position, he’s still just a guard.

I always wondered if these guys where so good how come they were never moved to tackle....

Contract Notes

Spencer Long signed a 4 year, $27.5 million contract with the Jets on March 18, 2018. Long's first year salary and offseason roster bonus are fully guaranteed for a total of $6 million. Another $3 million due in 2019 will become guaranteed if Long is on the roster on the 3rd day after the Super Bowl. There are $1 million in per game bonuses in 2018 and $500,000 in per game bonuses in each of the remaining contract years. Long has a $3 million roster bonus that is due in 2019.

https://overthecap.com/player/spencer-long/3017/

19 hours ago, C Mart said:

Contract Notes

Spencer Long signed a 4 year, $27.5 million contract with the Jets on March 18, 2018. Long's first year salary and offseason roster bonus are fully guaranteed for a total of $6 million. Another $3 million due in 2019 will become guaranteed if Long is on the roster on the 3rd day after the Super Bowl. There are $1 million in per game bonuses in 2018 and $500,000 in per game bonuses in each of the remaining contract years. Long has a $3 million roster bonus that is due in 2019.

https://overthecap.com/player/spencer-long/3017/

Great contract.  Does not commit us to anything beyond the first year.

• 3 weeks later...

How much better will Spencer Long make Jets' struggling offensive line?

The Jets recently signed Spencer Long. (AP Photo)

The Jets recently signed Spencer Long. (AP Photo)

The Jets didn't overhaul their offensive line this offseason, but it has a chance to perform significantly better in 2018

That's because right guard Brian Winters is healthy again, and center Wesley Johnson is gone, having signed with the Lions. 

Winters battled through an abdomen muscle tear that eventually required surgery. He still managed to play in 13 games, but he wasn't himself. 

Johnson stunk last season, and it became clear he wasn't the long-term answer for replacing Nick Mangold. The Jets signed Spencer Long to replace him. Long could be an upgrade at center, provided he has moved past last season's quadriceps tear, which required surgery

Jets coach Todd Bowles believes Long's presence will upgrade the Jets' line. 

"I think it does, because the center runs the show," Bowles said. "He's the one that lines everybody up and makes all the calls. He's a little bigger and heavier than what we had in the past [with Johnson]. Hopefully, that solidifies a lot of things and makes everybody else better." 

Long is 6-foot-5 and 318 pounds. Johnson is 6-foot-5 and 297 pounds. 

The Jets opted for Long over free agent centers Weston Richburg and Ryan Jensen. Richburg got $28.5 million guaranteed ($16.5 million fully guaranteed) from the 49ers. Jensen got $22 million guaranteed from the Buccaneers. The Jets gave Long $6 million fully guaranteed, in a contract that is effectively a one-year deal, because the Jets hold the option for 2019. 

Bowles expects Long to be limited during spring practices, coming off surgery, but is hopeful he will be ready to fully participate when training camp begins in late July. Long can also play guard, if the Jets need him there. 

"We were looking for a guy with versatility," Bowles said. 

How bad was the Jets' line last season? The Jets allowed the NFL's fifth-highest sack percentage. They ranked 20th in yards per carry and 19th in rushing yards per game. 

Bowles after the season fired line coach Steve Marshall and replaced him with recently fired Bills offensive coordinator Rick Dennison. He will be the Jets' running game coordinator, in addition to their line coach. Dennison will team with new offensive coordinator Jeremy Bates. 

So why does Bowles think Dennison's line will be better than Marshall's was last year? 

"We'll be healthier, number one," Bowles said. "Number two, they'll be more in synch with some of the things we're trying to do, playing to their strengths. We had guys overstepping [last year] from a technique standpoint. I think they'll be a lot better." 

On 3/22/2018 at 12:45 PM, Lith said:

Great contract.  Does not commit us to anything beyond the first year.

Seem to hear this a lot from fans under Macc.

How good is a pickup if the first thought is “thank God we’re not invested in this guy!”.

6 hours ago, Warfish said:

Seem to hear this a lot from fans under Macc.

How good is a pickup if the first thought is “thank God we’re not invested in this guy!”.

I’d be curious to know the percentage of FA contracts that were considered good value overall, especially the ones signed away from other teams 

Seems like besides the rookie contract, super stars and pro bowlers.  Most contracts are over paid compared to performance 

• 3 weeks later...

spencerlong61I’ve been here for only 5 work days so far, but I’ve gotta say I love the vibe around the building. You can feel it in the locker room, during training and rehab, and in meetings. This organization creates a loyal family atmosphere that reaches from top to bottom. That’s something I put great value in, and motivates me to work my ass off even more. I believe this team is headed in a great direction. I’m proud to be a part of it. Thank you Coach Bowles and Mr. Maccagnan for the gift, and the opportunity. #JetUp

• 5 months later...

This guy is endangering Sam Darnold.  I am going to hammer this point all week.

His snaps cause timing delays, extra sacks, awkward handoffs... And my biggest fear is that Sam gets his right hand or something smashed, or his knee twisted, trying to recover one of these terrible snaps in a fumble pile.

1 hour ago, RoadFan said:

This guy is endangering Sam Darnold.  I am going to hammer this point all week.

His snaps cause timing delays, extra sacks, awkward handoffs... And my biggest fear is that Sam gets his right hand or something smashed, or his knee twisted, trying to recover one of these terrible snaps in a fumble pile.

And what about the interior DL pushing their way into Sam. It’s a constant.

Dennis Waszak Jr.‏ @DWAZ73 

#Jets C Spencer Long has a finger injury and also limped off the field late in the 4Q yesterday - but Bowles wouldn't say what that injury is. Jonotthan Harrison was his replacement - and might be the smart way to go at this point, regardless, given the finger/snap issues.

• 2 weeks later...
7 minutes ago, RVAJet815 said:

Don't cut him. He's useful when healthy. Just not at center. Ever. 

Agreed. Bart Scott said the same thing. If they like him as a blocker put him at guard. The guy was stand up and did an interview after the game. It wasn't his fault that the coaching staff didn't take him out. He has a finger injury. 

Archived