Jon Gruden: anyone still upset we didn't hire him?

Klecko73isGod

8 hours ago, slats said:

Nah, I agree with him. Who wanted Gruden in the first place? 

yep I saw Harbaugh, Schwartz, Reich and Defilippo never saw a big backing for Gruden.

That being said I think Gruden is gutting that team for a re-build to be honest. Not to say that's going to work but it may be the plan if Gruden was not happy with the players in place or if said players were simply not buying into his system

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's a little early for this because Gruden has a 10 year contract and the Raiders are likely going to be having a fire sale, accumulating  a sh*tload of picks in the process. 

However, I am not big on hiring guys who have been out of coaching as long as he was. The only time that ever really worked out was Vermeil with the Rams. 

3 hours ago, nyjunc said:

It absolutely was.  We had a really talented D, an excellent run game, incredible WRs and a QB playing the best football of his career all against a cupcake schedule.

All we had to do was beat an inferior bills team one time and we couldn't do it.  

As I recall, Fitzpatrick decided to turn back into a pumpkin ? that game. There’s not a lot a HC can do when that happens. 

20 minutes ago, JetsFanatic said:

Funny thread.  That's why you never listen to the fans.  Mara listened to his fanbase last year regarding Manning, now look at their situation.

Firing Idzik was a good move, regardless of his replacement. 

On ‎10‎/‎16‎/‎2018 at 11:44 AM, David Harris said:

Gruden has some draft capital to build them up while he learns the modern NFL.  I think he may cut ties with Carr and draft a QB high next year.  

Do we want Amari Cooper btw - I feel like he can't get off the press and defenses have neutered him permanently. 

It will be fun to watch the Raiders and Giants both killing themselves to get in position to draft the top QB prospect next April.  Maybe add the Bucs to the mix if Winston doesn't suddenly become an All-Pro.  All the planning and amassing of draft capital doesn't mean squat if you can't get 'the guy'.  We got incredibly fortunate last year, but imagine if NYG took Darnold.  Maybe there will 2 studs at the top of the draft like Goff/Wentz, but if not, and there's just one guy up there and some other team is in the top spot, there's going to be a bidding bloodbath and for once, it won't be us worrying about it :).

So I agree 100m on Gruden a bad idea BUT: HC money doesn’t come from the salary cap and I don’t care about Woody (or any other owner) saving dough. And... there’s been a lot of defense of Bowles (and nearly every other Jets coaching regime) to “give them time” and “let them grow into the job.” It’s only been 6 weeks and pretty clear the team is trying to spark a rebuild—which does look pretty insane.

I never wanted Gruden here but I think a victory lap thread is a wee premature. Just my 2c.

OMG they are losing games and will get the top pick in the draft along with a bunch of other first round picks for Mack and maybe more picks for Cooper!!! Those are awful moves if he was trying to make a bunch of 13 year olds on twitter happy. 

Gruden has a ten year contract and isn't trying to go 8-8 for the next 10 years. The reality is that the Raiders were no where near close to a title with their pre-season roster and pulling a Gettleman by going all in with a marginal roster is a sure fire way of winning the off-season GM of the year award and in the process killing a franchise for 5 years. 

Gruden is doing the right things in Oakland,  unfortunately not many people are smart enough to realize it. 

Rumors swirling that Gruden wants to trade Carr to the Giants.  Of course he does.  That takes them out of the QB hunt next April, leaving the field clear for Gruden to get Herbert in case the Raiders don't actually successfully tank the season and finish with the top pick.  I can't imagine why the Giants would make that move now but they haven't exactly shown themselves to be shrewd operators the past few years so maybe they'll bite. 

Put Carr behind that OL and his brother David may end up looking like the lucky one in the family after all.

On 10/16/2018 at 6:48 PM, Larz said:

Less booger

Booger is wrong more times per broadcast than he's right on his comments or predictions or just simply identifying what he's seeing on the field. Even so, he's better than the two people commenting from the booth. Let that sink in for a second.

I'd take chuckie back in the booth all day.

Also, I'd preach patience with Gruden. 6 weeks into the season is not the time for a victory lap - whether player or coach. I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt given his resume before the booth.

Lastly, Carr was never that good anyway. The year they won 12 games, the raiders also had the easiest schedule in the league and still needed like 5 last-second comebacks. He's been garbage other than that season; and that's not even accounting for the impact of his injuries.

46 minutes ago, greenwichjetfan said:

Lastly, Carr was never that good anyway. The year they won 12 games, the raiders also had the easiest schedule in the league and still needed like 5 last-second comebacks. He's been garbage other than that season; and that's not even accounting for the impact of his injuries.

IMO, Gruden is an idiot and always was. The only thing that makes me question that analysis is his ability to rake in money being one.

Gruden on Derek Carr: "He is the strength of this football team. He is on my watch. I said it when I got here, if he doesn't play well, I've failed."

1 hour ago, #27TheDominator said:

IMO, Gruden is an idiot and always was. The only thing that makes me question that analysis is his ability to rake in money being one.

Gruden on Derek Carr: "He is the strength of this football team. He is on my watch. I said it when I got here, if he doesn't play well, I've failed."

That's fair, but it's also not vastly different from a lot of people in management who think someone looks good on paper or in an interview, but when they come in and work with them day to day, it doesn't work out. From a distance, he may have felt that Carr was the right guy for him.

I just don't think that a failed relationship with a not-so-good QB is reason enough to give up on a SB winning coach who's coached up some of the better QBs of the 90's. Especially after only 6 games.

On 10/16/2018 at 7:59 PM, BroadwayRay said:

As I recall, Fitzpatrick decided to turn back into a pumpkin ? that game. There’s not a lot a HC can do when that happens. 

The entire team was not ready, it wasn't just Fitz.  The only guy who came to play that day was Marshall.  The coach didn't have them prepared to play.

1 minute ago, greenwichjetfan said:

That's fair, but it's also not vastly different from a lot of people in management who think someone looks good on paper or in an interview, but when they come in and work with them day to day, it doesn't work out. From a distance, he may have felt that Carr was the right guy for him.

I just don't think that a failed relationship with a not-so-good QB is reason enough to give up on a SB winning coach who's coached up some of the better QBs of the 90's. Especially after only 6 games.

What QB did he coach up? 

Gannon?  I guess, but he had a better season under Callahan after Gruden left.  He gets credit for Brad Johnson, but Johnson had a better season in Washington than he ever did under Gruden.  Brian Griese?  Jeff Garcia certainly wasn't any better under Gruden than he was elsewhere.  His performance with QBs has been very Todd Bowles-y.  Take a sh*tty vet, get some good production out of him.  Just he takes all the credit.

45 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

The entire team was not ready, it wasn't just Fitz.  The only guy who came to play that day was Marshall.  The coach didn't have them prepared to play.

I disagree. They went into the fourth quarter needing one lousy TD to seal it. They had three drives in the quarter and each and every one ended with a Fitzpatrick interception. The clock on his "magic" ran out.

28 minutes ago, BroadwayRay said:

I disagree. They went into the fourth quarter needing one lousy TD to seal it. They had three drives in the quarter and each and every one ended with a Fitzpatrick interception. The clock on his "magic" ran out.

To seal it? We never had the lead at any point. Fitz was typical big game Fitz but the team was terrible.  Buffalo was dead and had a ton of injuries. If we come out strong that game is over early but we came out flat and Buffalo took advantage.

It's been a theme under Bowles with the team coming up small after big wins.  I am interested to see what they do this week. This is a classic Bowles game where the team comes out flat and loses, let's see if they can finally change that

6 hours ago, greenwichjetfan said:

This is nonsense.

His rookie year was fairly pedestrian but he had 4000 yards on 61% completion rate with 32 TDs vs 13 INT in 2015. Let's see Darnold put up a season like that and everyone's gonna be fellating themselves.

After that was 2016 and he was having a great year but then he got his leg broken by Cole and really hasn't been the same guy since

On ‎10‎/‎16‎/‎2018 at 2:26 PM, Klecko73isGod said:

Jeez, you grass is always greener people crack me up. 

Gruden sucks. 

...and posts like this crack ME up. Gruden built up the Raiders, left, and won a SB  with an underachieving Bucs team. But you say he sucks. Had a premiere analyst job for 10 years, during which countless NFL teams tried to get him to run their team. But you say he sucks, which makes you smarter then all those NFL people. A few guys here like the way he's starting his rebuild (getting two 1st rounders for Mack), and looking to further tear down a 6-10 team. But those guys crack you up because you say he sucks. My opinion? He's smart enough to look within his division, and see the Raider roster was never going to compete with Mahomes and the Chiefs. His best option was to rebuild completely, and he's probably looking to do it with a stockpile of draft picks that he'll build up as he trades as many of his current assets that he can. 

...and posts like this crack ME up. Gruden built up the Raiders, left, and won a SB  with an underachieving Bucs team. But you say he sucks. Had a premiere analyst job for 10 years, during which countless NFL teams tried to get him to run their team. But you say he sucks, which makes you smarter then all those NFL people. A few guys here like the way he's starting his rebuild (getting two 1st rounders for Mack), and looking to further tear down a 6-10 team. But those guys crack you up because you say he sucks. My opinion? He's smart enough to look within his division, and see the Raider roster was never going to compete with Mahomes and the Chiefs. His best option was to rebuild completely, and he's probably looking to do it with a stockpile of draft picks that he'll build up as he trades as many of his current assets that he can. 

One big problem with this supposed plan: Gruden is awful when given the keys on personnel and draft decisions.

He traded away a 27-year old future HOF pass rusher, and will trade Cooper too, just so he can use those picks to draft a bust QB and WR.

And meanwhile, this supposed offensive genius is running the worst, most boring offense in the NFL. Against the Seahawks, Carr’s averaged “air yards” was 0.1, as nearly all of his throws were screen passes to RBs. Maybe that’s because the O-Line, run by the same Tom Cable whose lines were awful in Seattle, forced his hand. But does that also not at least partly fall on Gruden’s lap too?

A team with a young QB and elite pass rusher should not have been tanking. So if the plan was to tank the season, it’s a terrible plan. If that was not the case, then Gruden is doing a laughable job. He looks like a moron regardless. And he’s getting his QB killed in the process.

You’re giving Gruden wayyyyy too much credit. You really think he knew what Pat Mahomes would be from the jump? And because he read those tea leaves so well, he started this master plan to immediately turn the Raiders into a laughing stock on purpose? Come on.

11 hours ago, Obrien2Toon said:

I was always impartial to Gruden until he kept doing the draft

and loved every single pick, I mean if you are going to love every single player, what’s the point of you being there

He has to add to our football knowledge.  I feel like a real insider.  Spider Y2 banana. 

8 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

One big problem with this supposed plan: Gruden is awful when given the keys on personnel and draft decisions.

He traded away a 27-year old future HOF pass rusher, and will trade Cooper too, just so he can use those picks to draft a bust QB and WR.

And meanwhile, this supposed offensive genius is running the worst, most boring offense in the NFL. Against the Seahawks, Carr’s averaged “air yards” was 0.1, as nearly all of his throws were screen passes to RBs. Maybe that’s because the O-Line, run by the same Tom Cable whose lines were awful in Seattle, forced his hand. But does that also not at least partly fall on Gruden’s lap too?

A team with a young QB and elite pass rusher should not have been tanking. So if the plan was to tank the season, it’s a terrible plan. If that was not the case, then Gruden is doing a laughable job. He looks like a moron regardless. And he’s getting his QB killed in the process.

You’re giving Gruden wayyyyy too much credit. You really think he knew what Pat Mahomes would be from the jump? And because he read those tea leaves so well, he started this master plan to immediately turn the Raiders into a laughing stock on purpose? Come on.

Screen passes to WRs > screen passes to RBs?

At least Gruden will make next April's draft interesting.  It looked for a few weeks like the NYG would be the only team in the Herbert sweepstakes.  Now it's a 2-team race and the jockeying will be interesting.  Raiders have the edge with 2 1st rounders assuming the Giants don't finish dead last and get the #1 pick.  If that happens, then all the picks in the world won't matter.  Both teams are clearly gunning for the top QB so unless we have a Goff/Wentz situation, one of them is going to suffer extreme disappointment. 

Who knows, we may see the Giants go into next season with Ryan Fitzpatrick as their starting QB.

Archived