How demoralized would you be if Darnold busts?

VinnyT16

While I still think he could be OK in the long run I think after yesterdays game as fans we at least need to prepare for that possibility.

Darnold was the QB everybody wanted from day 1 last year and this organization recieced universal praise for being aggressive to draft him.

If this kid fails is it really his fault? Could the reason all these guys failed is that we entrusted defensive coaches to manage their development?

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He won’t unless he gets catastrophically hurt.

i don’t know what to tell you.

to me it’s obvious when I watch him play. He has ability and instincs for the position that you just don’t see very often.

we need to chill the eff out.

hes 21 years old and he has a bad game. He’s climbing a steeper hill offensively than any qb outside of buffalo. 

Lets also be fair in the assessment.

He threw two bad picks (one off a horrible snap). The other two were 4th and long desperation heaves after his WRs dropped passes on previous downs. 

This wasn’t an apocalyptic performance like we saw so often from Sanchez and Geno. I mean really, do you guys not remember the complete lack of awareness both of these guys displayed? 

2 minutes ago, KRL said:

Silly observation, ALL young QB's go through the struggles Darnold is facing now.

Just go back one year to Jared Goff, EVERYONE swore he was a bust after his first

year with Jeff Fisher

Not even comparable. Goff didn’t even flash his rookie year. Darnold has had great games and flashed in every one of them- including yesterday. 

This fanbase is beyond reactionary. He had a bad game. He’s 21, he’s got sh*t around him. 

this thread deserves some credit because it's asking the question no one else has the balls to ask.

people would rather blame the coach or the center playing with a broken hand.  

the reason why they couldn't go 3 and 5 step drops by the way is because those are football concepts Darnold hasn't mastered. He's spent his entire short college career in the shotgun. 

2 minutes ago, KRL said:

Silly observation, ALL young QB's go through the struggles Darnold is facing now.

Just go back one year to Jared Goff, EVERYONE swore he was a bust after his first

year with Jeff Fisher

EXACTLY    Look at Peyton's 1st year. Total disaster but in the end I think it turned out OK for him. :rolleyes:

Sanchez was trash and had ZERO excuses with that great o-line and run game. Darnold has sucked but has been thrown into a GOD AWFUL offense both scheme and talent wise and still showed flashes. I love Darnold and I’m rooting for him but by no means am I crowning him.

I see potential that can be unlocked with the right people around him and think the team should move forward with him as the QB and just focus on building the offense around him at all costs. If he busts, he busts. It won’t be from this 1 year but change needs to happen. 

4 minutes ago, KRL said:

year with Jeff Fisher

GOFF looks UNREAL!!!  His stature, confidence, presence etc...     Best thing we could do for the JETS and Darnold is rid ourselves of MACC and Bowles. 

1 minute ago, bitonti said:

this thread deserves some credit because it's asking the question no one else has the balls to ask.

the reason why they couldn't go 3 and 5 step drops by the way is because those are football concepts Darnold hasn't mastered. He's spent his entire short college career in the shotgun. 

During last nights NE-GB game I think it was Collingsworth who said NE coaching staff uses players based on their strengths and weaknesses he may he been discussing Patterson. 

Do the NY Jets coaches do the same or aren't they qualified or smart enough to do that. 

Bowles leaving Long in the game yesterday bad snap after bad snap shows how bad of a HC he truly is. 

4 minutes ago, nico002 said:

Not even comparable. Goff didn’t even flash his rookie year. Darnold has had great games and flashed in every one of them- including yesterday. 

This fanbase is beyond reactionary. He had a bad game. He’s 21, he’s got sh*t around him. 

3 minutes ago, bitonti said:

I think both of these statements are fairly accurate...  I hope the kid becomes a top 10 QB but with this talent?  Perhaps Brady could win 8 games but I can't even see Brady winning with this team.

10 minutes ago, VinnyT16 said:

While I still think he could be OK in the long run I think after yesterdays game as fans we at least need to prepare for that possibility.

Darnold was the QB everybody wanted from day 1 last year and this organization recieced universal praise for being aggressive to draft him.

If this kid fails is it really his fault? Could the reason all these guys failed is that we entrusted defensive coaches to manage their development?

Very little of the post is true. Most people on the board didn’t think we had a chance to get him. I would dare say just as many people if not more wanted Baker and Rosen. 

I wanted Sam from day one and at the same time didn’t hold too much faith in this regime to bring him along properly. McCown was about the only positive thing the Jets did. 

The rest of it from poor play calling to a center that shotgun snaps like a game of dodgeball everybody loses has certainly challenged my expectations. 

Good news? He is young and has the perfect temperament for handling early struggles. Every young QB has to get through “ that game” like Sam did yesterday. Let’s hioe that’s one of the worse he plays and learns from it. 

Just hope Chris and his Woody are seeing it and have the balls to fix it! 

13 minutes ago, KRL said:

year with Jeff Fisher

You can add Carson Wentz to the that list as well

Darnold IS our franchise QB.  He's been inconsistent for sure but the talent is clearly there.  He just needs to get as far away from Bowles and Bates as possible.  He's going to have to endure maximum suckage from his HC and OC for the rest of the year before they're both run out of town.  Have patience, folks.  Rome wasn't built in a day.  

10 minutes ago, bitonti said:

Is it ok to blame the coach that’s still  playing a center with a broken hand that can’t snap the ball straight?

Is it ok to blame anyone but the 21 year old kid? F Sam for not coming to the Jets 100% ready for the NFL!

I blame his parents , they should have taught the kid that in the backyard before he got to the NFL. Why would they think the kid would get any coaching or help in the NFL? Idiots!!!

11 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

During last nights NE-GB game I think it was Collingsworth who said NE coaching staff uses players based on their strengths and weaknesses he may he been discussing Patterson. 

Do the NY Jets coaches do the same or aren't they qualified or smart enough to do that. 

Bowles leaving Long in the game yesterday bad snap after bad snap shows how bad of a HC he truly is. 

I don't  see what the correlation here. Patterson is a WR playing RB. Long although he sucks at the position of C because he cant snap the ball would move to a different OL spot maybe but that isn't  exactly the same thing the Collinsworth was talking about or at least how you are presenting it. Long should have been benched after the first half but how is that using him based o. a weakness. 

3 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

Is it ok to blame the coach that’s still  playing a center with a broken hand that can’t snap the ball straight?

Is it ok to blame anyone but the 21 year old kid? F Sam for not coming to the Jets 100% ready for the NFL!

I blame his parents , they should have taught the kid that in the backyard before he got to the NFL. Why would they think the kid would get any coaching or help in the NFL? Idiots!!!

Truthfully Crush, a high snap is not an excuse for a pick 6 and it never will be. 

You are doing it the other way blaming everyone but the 21 year old kid. 

truthfully I blame the organization for trading Teddy/not playing Josh McCown and the fans for wanting it this way. Darnold was not the best QB in that room in July, and he's still not the best QB on the roster.  they should have let them actually compete, let the best player win the job and go from there. Like they do at every other position on the roster. Instead, they force fed the kid, but the franchise extended Bowles thru 2020 exactly so this could happen, if the point was to win games they'd have not extended Bowles and played McCown until he got hurt. 

2 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

I don't  see what the correlation here. Patterson is a WR playing RB. Long although he sucks at the position of C because he cant snap the ball would move to a different OL spot maybe but that isn't  exactly the same thing the Collinsworth was talking about or at least how you are presenting it. Long should have been benched after the first half but how is that using him based o. a weakness. 

Piss poor coaching vs Genuis coaching, schemes and plays designed to players strengths using players where they excel and help a team win. 

22 minutes ago, bitonti said:

Tonti, it is very obvious that you did not watched the game where Darnolds WAS ALSO ASKED TO PLAY SHORTSTOP along with being the QB.  So much is my confidence in this kid that even though the coaches are setting him for failure by asking to be Shortstop too in Football, he will overcome it in due time. 

This is a legitimate question.  Bowles is a nightmare that seems to be approaching its end... and we all think the kid has it.

But what if Darnold busts? What if Teddy shows to be a franchise QB somewhere else?

At what point do Jets fans come to the realization they are are the Detroit Lions.  Some of us have already gone temporarlily apathetic. A Darnold failure could push some to flat out quit on this franchise altogether. 

15 minutes ago, bitonti said:

Truthfully Crush, a high snap is not an excuse for a pick 6 and it never will be. 

You are doing it the other way blaming everyone but the 21 year old kid. 

truthfully I blame the organization for trading Teddy/not playing Josh McCown and the fans for wanting it this way. Darnold was not the best QB in that room in July, and he's still not the best QB on the roster.  they should have let them actually compete, let the best player win the job and go from there. Like they do at every other position on the roster. Instead, they force fed the kid, but the franchise extended Bowles thru 2020 exactly so this could happen, if the point was to win games they'd have not extended Bowles and played McCown until he got hurt. 

Im what? Your full of shit. I blamed him for every pick he through yesterday  and literally said it ten times in the game thread Sam stinks today.

Hey if you love the job Bowles and Bates  are doing and think Sam is just another garbage prospect then not sure what to tell you . But don’t put me in some category just because it makes arguing your point  easier. 

I just want to know who’s job is it to fix it? Or maybe we just let Macc pick another potential franchise QB next  who is better suited for Bowkes and Bates unique rookie QB grooming. Whatever the hell that is. 

7 minutes ago, RoadFan said:

This is a legitimate question.  Bowles is a nightmare that seems to be approaching its end... and we all think the kid has it.

But what if Darnold busts? What if Teddy shows to be a franchise QB somewhere else?

At what point do Jets fans come to the realization they are are the Detroit Lions.  Some of us have already gone temporarlily apathetic. A Darnold failure could push some to flat out quit on this franchise altogether. 

This is the reason why you have to be scouting every QB class as if you dont have a QB. It's the foundational piece of every franchsise- why not increase your probability of landing one?

43 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

You can't put the words Bowles and smart in the same sentence, let alone the same paragraph. Bowles is a moron. fact. 

43 minutes ago, bitonti said:

So wrong. I shouldn’t have to type this but the offensive line can’t hold blocks long enough for us to call for 3 and 5 step drops. I watch as many other NFL games as possible and I’m telling you, no other QB has pass rushers on them as quickly and consistently as Darnold. There’s been several games where he literally did not get a chance to set his feet and scan the field a single play. 

28 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

Long should have been benched after the first half but how is that using him based o. a weakness. 

Lost in this discussion is how truly f-ing bad Jonotthan Harrison is

first off, look at how he spells his f-ing name.   

seriously tho, this is a guy who couldn't beat out Wesley Johnson for the starting center job last year. Think about that, he was worse than Wesley Johnson.  

look at the game again, harrison took about 12 snaps and gave up like 3 pressures. the refs weren't calling holding yesterday but he was holding like crazy, like arms wrapped around the guy heimlich style as he's running passed. He can snap but he can't block 

The current starting center for Miami was Travis Swanson a guy who was on our roster in preseason.  He seemed to be able to do both at a higher level than Harrison. 

I don't blame Bowles for sticking with Long. We could blame Mac for not investing more in OL depth.  But again the team is 20 mil under the cap for no real reason, who's fault is that? 

Just now, bitonti said:

LOL.

My thought process during the game was basically "they must think Jonotthan Harrison is a huge downgrade from Spencer Long to have not made a change yet." Because there was really no other excuse. Until that awful snap wide right that Darnold had to scramble for I guess they could stick their head in the sand but the reality is this has been an issue most of the season at this point.

2 minutes ago, bitonti said:

seriously tho, this is a guy who couldn't beat out Wesley Johnson for the starting center job last year. Think about that, he was worse than Wesley Johnson.  

look at the game again, harrison took about 12 snaps and gave up like 3 pressures. the refs weren't calling holding yesterday but he was holding like crazy, like arms wrapped around the guy heimlich style as he's running passed. He can snap but he can't block 

The current starting center for Miami was Travis Swanson a guy who was on our roster in preseason.  He seemed to be able to do both at a higher level than Harrison. 

I don't blame Bowles for sticking with Long. We could blame Mac for not investing more in OL depth.  But again the team is 20 mil under the cap for no real reason, who's fault is that? 

His parents chose how he spells his name and he snapped 100x better than that JAG scrub Long. 

Archived