Wow Alex Smith OMG his leg injury looks horrific.

Kleckineau

A big reason why the sheep fans spewing the NFL company line version that "Le'Veon Bell screwed his teammates!" are missing the boat on the other side.

Le'Veon Bell shatters his leg? He gets the $14M for 2018... his next contract is much less.   And if it's a career ender? Nothing more. 

He holds out? He probably gets $40M guaranteed. 

A calculated gamble.   One that took courage.   One that many players like Earl Thomas wish they had done.  One that many will thank Bell for in the future if it works...

Give the Skins McCown.

Feel bad for Smith. I'm squeamish so I'm not watching the footage. The description is bad enough for me.

It also means that the Skins could lose control of the division to the Cowboys. I wonder if Snyder cuts Gruden a break if the Skins miss the playoffs with McCoy as the QB rather than Smith.

2 hours ago, HelenOfTroy said:

Poor kid, I hate to see that happen to any player, plus he's a California boy.  I don't dare watch the video.  See, you can lose your career, just like that. ?

Me too. I always liked Alex Smith both as a QB and person. Real tough break, hope he returns 100 %.

12 hours ago, joewilly12 said:

Exactly 33 years to the day when Theisman was injured. 

i didn't see the actual injury but i saw smith lying on the ground.  it was pretty obvious his right leg was pointing in the wrong direction.  the theisman injury was way worse to look at because the bone came through the skin. i watched that one.  gruesome.

10 hours ago, bla bla bla said:

That is brutal, hope it's not a career ender, I really have grown to like Alex Smith. 

He won’t be back next season.  Redskins just gave him a long term contract what they might try to do to get out of the contract is ask Smith to retire and use some sort of medical retirement clause so it doesn’t continue to count against their cap

11 hours ago, Aussie Jet said:

Give the Skins McCown.

Feel bad for Smith. I'm squeamish so I'm not watching the footage. The description is bad enough for me.

It also means that the Skins could lose control of the division to the Cowboys. I wonder if Snyder cuts Gruden a break if the Skins miss the playoffs with McCoy as the QB rather than Smith.

Looking like Cowboys are winning that division 

A big reason why the sheep fans spewing the NFL company line version that "Le'Veon Bell screwed his teammates!" are missing the boat on the other side.
Le'Veon Bell shatters his leg? He gets the $14M for 2018... his next contract is much less.   And if it's a career ender? Nothing more. 
A calculated gamble.   One that took courage.   One that many players like Earl Thomas wish they had done.  One that many will thank Bell for in the future if it works...

I’m almost never on the side of the corporation but your comment is literally what is wrong with the game (and the world, but I’ll keep it to football).
to be clear, I’m not attacking you personally. Just the overall mindset to which you accurately outlined.

I’m all in for the players to get their money as the fat cats have been raking in the profits and screwing players for years and years. Good for them for what they received after the collective bargaining fight.
But here’s the issue with bell. The entire union and nfl fought through a hard negotiation for months (years of prep really) and came to an agreement. They placed agreed upon value toward each scenario that may come up in the season. The players can fall back on certain protections as can ownership.
The 14.5 mil is the value agreed upon by the player union and ownership and the nfl for an uncontracted franchise year at his position. It’s enough money that if something should happen, he is secure for the rest of his life. As much as I’m trying to pull it off, I most likely will never have a $14 mil year. Just for comparison and perspective. =)

Sure it makes sense from a purely financial standpoint. That’s the problem. We have these collective bargaining agreements taken care of so fans can watch a damn game. If you want to play in the nfl and reap the rewards that playing in the nfl can provide, you adhere to the rules that are in place. Don’t like it? Don’t play here. Bell has taken a crap on the entire process for the “what if” mindset when thinking about this in solely financial terms.

Now truth be told he is not playing so I get the potential come back. But....

Leveon bell has already agreed to being within this system And is a member of the Pittsburgh Steelers. And he will want back in next year after his decision not to play this year.
He’s taken the system and said “I don’t care”. I’m going to do it my way because I want more money. I don’t care about the fans. I dont care about my teammates. I don’t care about the nfl that has made me a rich man. I don’t care that I’ve already played within the system and will want to again.
That’s BS !
If I want to work for AT&T I have to agree to the system. End of story.

We’re talking about football. The game has inherent risks. That’s the deal. We all know that. The teams take risks when they give these guys guaranteed contracts in the same way.

What we’re now watching is the allowance of the “business of football” to overtake the game of football. People talk about the nfl sucking because there are too many teams or whatever else. This is the real reason the nfl is losing viewers and respect. It’s because players like bell have allowed greed and what ifs to become more important than the game of football.

I am dead set against wanting him on the jets and if the nfl and it’s fans had a set of balls, the backlash toward someone bucking the hard fought and agreed upon system would be unified and severe.

But here we are. Seeing all the articles today justifying bells greedy choice because someone got hurt. The redskins and their fans will be unable to field a strong team moving forward because of the money owed to a guy who can’t play due to the guaranteed money and injury. Is that fair for them?
Who cares right? Who cares about the millions of people supporting a business that is supposed to bring us happiness.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

I feel very sorry for Alex Smith and wish him a good recovery and hopefully a return to the NFL.  At the minimum the ability to live his life. 

But this is why we keep Darnold shelved.   No sense exposing him to this type of injury in a worthless season, with a suspect line and bad coaches. 

12 hours ago, RoadFan said:

Won’t anyone think of the poor guy who’ll “only” get his salary to-date AND 14 million more?

Truly, worthy of our pity and understanding.....so courageous. 

1 hour ago, GREENBEAN said:

I’m almost never on the side of the corporation but your comment is literally what is wrong with the game (and the world, but I’ll keep it to football).
to be clear, I’m not attacking you personally. Just the overall mindset to which you accurately outlined.

I’m all in for the players to get their money as the fat cats have been raking in the profits and screwing players for years and years. Good for them for what they received after the collective bargaining fight.
But here’s the issue with bell. The entire union and nfl fought through a hard negotiation for months (years of prep really) and came to an agreement. They placed agreed upon value toward each scenario that may come up in the season. The players can fall back on certain protections as can ownership.
The 14.5 mil is the value agreed upon by the player union and ownership and the nfl for an uncontracted franchise year at his position. It’s enough money that if something should happen, he is secure for the rest of his life. As much as I’m trying to pull it off, I most likely will never have a $14 mil year. Just for comparison and perspective. ?

Sure it makes sense from a purely financial standpoint. That’s the problem. We have these collective bargaining agreements taken care of so fans can watch a damn game. If you want to play in the nfl and reap the rewards that playing in the nfl can provide, you adhere to the rules that are in place. Don’t like it? Don’t play here. Bell has taken a crap on the entire process for the “what if” mindset when thinking about this in solely financial terms.

Now truth be told he is not playing so I get the potential come back. But....

Leveon bell has already agreed to being within this system And is a member of the Pittsburgh Steelers. And he will want back in next year after his decision not to play this year.
He’s taken the system and said “I don’t care”. I’m going to do it my way because I want more money. I don’t care about the fans. I dont care about my teammates. I don’t care about the nfl that has made me a rich man. I don’t care that I’ve already played within the system and will want to again.
That’s BS !
If I want to work for AT&T I have to agree to the system. End of story.

We’re talking about football. The game has inherent risks. That’s the deal. We all know that. The teams take risks when they give these guys guaranteed contracts in the same way.

What we’re now watching is the allowance of the “business of football” to overtake the game of football. People talk about the nfl sucking because there are too many teams or whatever else. This is the real reason the nfl is losing viewers and respect. It’s because players like bell have allowed greed and what ifs to become more important than the game of football.

I am dead set against wanting him on the jets and if the nfl and it’s fans had a set of balls, the backlash toward someone bucking the hard fought and agreed upon system would be unified and severe.

But here we are. Seeing all the articles today justifying bells greedy choice because someone got hurt. The redskins and their fans will be unable to field a strong team moving forward because of the money owed to a guy who can’t play due to the guaranteed money and injury. Is that fair for them?
Who cares right? Who cares about the millions of people supporting a business that is supposed to bring us happiness.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

A great argument.  I don't agree with all of it, but well stated nonetheless.

My issue is that only a handful of players are ever in jeopardy of being slapped with the unfair tag, usually very good players.  Running backs in particular are an even better target for the corporations for obvious reasons, which is even less fair to them.

Archived