Jets want Jim Harbaugh

JetsFanatic

13 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

Amazing how McCarthy and Harbaugh are both proven winners and oftense coaches but they suck let’s hire the Tennessee coordinator who barely beat a Todd Bowles D

Yeah because the outcome of 1 NFL game where an OC is saddled under yet another defensive coordinator HC is the definitive answer on what a coach can be. 

• Replies 291
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Harbaugh is a good coach but he is the wrong coach for a team with a young franchise QB. With Sam Darnold here this team needs to be built around him. That means that the offense should be aggressive with an extreme emphasis on throwing the ball.

Harbaugh is your classic ground and pound type of coach. He wants to win by running the ball 60% of the time and playing tough defense. This would be fine if we had a mediocre veteran QB like Alex Smith who isn't capable of carrying a team. Sam Darnold is going to be a franchise QB like Rodgers, Brees, and Brady. It would be a massive mistake to stifle his creativity like a Harbaugh would do to him. We finally have the QB we have waited decades for and it would be incredibly stupid to not keep this in mind when hiring the next coach.

The key to the Jets success in the future is Darnold which is why I want a creative offensive mind to go along with our franchise QB. Give me Lincoln Riley or a good young assistant like Zac Taylor to go along with our franchise QB. Again Harbaugh is definitely a solid coach but he is not the guy to get the best out of a young gunslinger like Darnold.

1 hour ago, JetFaninMI said:

Well then Michigan is taylor made for him. The players change every 4yrs.

JH has a golden future at U of M. No Meyer to interfere with recruitment and his resume would only be more impressive with a National Championship on it. JH will not be the NY Jets HC next year(after writing this expect the Jets to announce the hiring of JH soon lol).

Which will never happen.  He knows it.  scUM is a has been foortball power and most of their fans are walmart wolvies who have already turned on him.  The BIG10 can't compete with the southern football powers anyway except for Ohio State at times.

9 minutes ago, Pennington said:

Harbaugh is a good coach but he is the wrong coach for a team with a young franchise QB. With Sam Darnold here this team needs to be built around him. That means that the offense should be aggressive with an extreme emphasis on throwing the ball.

Harbaugh is your classic ground and pound type of coach. He wants to win by running the ball 60% of the time and playing tough defense. This would be fine if we had a mediocre veteran QB like Alex Smith who isn't capable of carrying a team. Sam Darnold is going to be a franchise QB like Rodgers, Brees, and Brady. It would be a massive mistake to stifle his creativity like a Harbaugh would do to him. We finally have the QB we have waited decades for and it would be incredibly stupid to not keep this in mind when hiring the next coach.

The key to the Jets success in the future is Darnold which is why I want a creative offensive mind to go along with our franchise QB. Give me Lincoln Riley or a good young assistant like Zac Taylor to go along with our franchise QB. Again Harbaugh is definitely a solid coach but he is not the guy to get the best out of a young gunslinger like Darnold.

I disagree.  He got more out of alex smith than anyone.  He then turned colin Kaepernick into a near super bowl winning qb.  I think he is shown to be an excellent developer of quarterbacks

4 minutes ago, SpartanJet said:

Which will never happen.  He knows it.  scUM is a has been foortball power and most of their fans are walmart wolvies who have already turned on him.  The BIG10 can't compete with the southern football powers anyway except for Ohio State at times.

I've never even heard that phrase but that is hilarious. UM fans are some of the most insufferable on the planet. Almost as bad as Buckeye fans. Almost.

3 minutes ago, chirorob said:

I disagree.  He got more out of alex smith than anyone.  He then turned colin Kaepernick into a near super bowl winning qb.  I think he is shown to be an excellent developer of quarterbacks

Kapernick was ultimately a glorified RG 3 . His game was completely predicated on him running the football. DC's watched film and rendered him useless. Harbaugh did nothing to develop Kap as a true QB. The same thing will happen to brother John in Baltimore if they don't get Lamar Jackson to play more  as a pocket based passer. 

Just now, RutgersJetFan said:

I've never even heard that phrase but that is hilarious. UM fans are some of the most insufferable on the planet. Almost as bad as Buckeye fans. Almost.

I know I love that too.  Its a term of affection for those bumpkin fans that never attended high school yet are garbed up to the sky in Wolvie gear from Walmart.  Lots of those in Michigan.

7 minutes ago, 56mehl56 said:

Kapernick was ultimately a glorified RG 3 . His game was completely predicated on him running the football. DC's watched film and rendered him useless. Harbaugh did nothing to develop Kap as a true QB. The same thing will happen to brother John in Baltimore if they don't get Lamar Jackson to play more  as a pocket based passer. 

I think John is stuck.  He is doing what he can right now with what he has.

So what's the money figure 10 mil per season. If you go into a deal like that the last one was to John Grudin. I wouldn't do it for him. Although the team would be better with him than with Todd for sure. And there is talent plus 100 mil in cap space for next season. 

17 minutes ago, chirorob said:

Exactly, the dude was a hustling QB with limited talent. He’d be excited as sh*t to utilize Sams all around talent.

Go back & watch that 49ers vs Pats game when they went into Gillette. They were creative as hell & kept the pedal to the metal. 1st time I ever saw the Pats a bit shocked in the regular season AT HOME. Plus they twice the team then, then they are currently. 

12 hours ago, carlito1171 said:

“Big game hunting”

You would probably need to give Harbaugh roster control...and I hope he can develop Darnold in 3-4 years until he inevitably wears out his welcome in NY 

In a word NO. I didn't like him as a player and I don't think he is the guy to lead the Jets. He can't even beat Ohio State even though that is the focus of EVERY season in Ann Arbor.

he deserves a hard look. he's got some good experience and is young enough to be able to stick around.  plus he's had to deal with michigan fans and that may be harder than dealing with ny.  and, he got that slug kapernick to play well by designing plays for his abilities.

21 minutes ago, 56mehl56 said:

We finally have a franchise QB and fans are willing to risk his development on yet another defensive minded head coach. This is our chance to finally put together a top NFL offense and thats exactly why a coach like Harbaugh is not the answer. If we had a Tannehill type of QB I would be all for Harbaugh but not when we have Sam Darnold who needs to be unleashed.

1 minute ago, Pennington said:

We finally have a franchise QB and fans are willing to risk his development on yet another defensive minded head coach. This is our chance to finally put together a top NFL offense and thats exactly why a coach like Harbaugh is not the answer. If we had a Tannehill type of QB I would be all for Harbaugh but not when we have Sam Darnold who needs to be unleashed.

Totally disagree. Look at what Harbaugh did for Alex Smith.  The mistake people make is that an offensive coordinator means better QB development, that's a fallacy.  Harbaugh is a proven HC, I'm sure he will have the right OC and QB coach for Darnold.  I don't want to a hire an coordinator as HC simply because his background is offensive.  Being a HC is much different than being a coordinator.

7 minutes ago, Pennington said:

Huh?

Harbaugh IS an offensive coach. He was a QB for crying out loud.

The guy developed Andrew Luck, completely turned Alex Smith’s career around and had a gimmicky QB like Kaepernick on the verge of winning a Super Bowl.

Just now, JetsFanatic said:

Totally disagree. Look at what Harbaugh did for Alex Smith.  The mistake people make is that an offensive coordinator means better QB development, that's a fallacy.  Harbaugh is a proven HC, I'm sure he will have the right OC and QB coach for Darnold.  I don't want to a hire an coordinator as HC simply because his background is offensive.  Being a HC is much different than being a coordinator.

Alex Smith is and was always a game manager and thats exactly the type of QB that Harbaugh wants. I have no interest in running the ball 60 percent of the time with Sam Darnold as our QB. I want this team to finally have an explosive offense which will never occur under a Jim Harbaugh coached team.

1 minute ago, Untouchable said:

Huh?

The guy developed Andrew Luck, completely turned Alex Smith’s career around and had a gimmicky QB like Kaepernick on the verge of winning a Super Bowl.

Spot On!

17 minutes ago, Untouchable said:

Huh?

Harbaugh may have played QB but his mentality is LB all the way. His offenses have always been conservative and run oriented even when he had Luck at Stanford. I have had enough of the ground and pound defensive minded coaches especially now when we finally have a QB to air it out with.

3 minutes ago, Pennington said:

Alex Smith is and was always a game manager and thats exactly the type of QB that Harbaugh wants. I have no interest in running the ball 60 percent of the time with Sam Darnold as our QB. I want this team to finally have an explosive offense which will never occur under a Jim Harbaugh coached team.

Harbaugh's background is offense, he was a QB.  Also he has a proven track record as a winning HC.  As I stated in my previous post, do not hire a coordinator simply based on his success as an offensive coordinator, I want a guy who I know is a successful HC.  Joe Walton was a great OC, and not a very good HC.

10 minutes ago, Untouchable said:

Huh?

Nobody developed Luck, he is a generational talent. 

5 minutes ago, JetsFanatic said:

Harbaugh's background is offense, he was a QB.  Also he has a proven track record as a winning HC.  As I stated in my previous post, do not hire a coordinator simply based on his success as an offensive coordinator, I want a guy who I know is a successful HC.  Joe Walton was a great OC, and not a very good HC.

I don't care that Harbaugh played the position. Look at the style of offense his team plays. He runs an extremely conservative offense which is not what a team with Sam Darnold needs to do to be most successful.

We can go back and forth on this all day but I doubt it matters because he isn't leaving Michigan for this franchise. Harbaugh is a good coach but not the right one with a franchise QB. He would be great for a team like Jacksonville who plays great defense and just needs a game manager at QB to succeed.

Archived