Leonard Williams to Quinnen Williams: “come to NY and get some of these double teams off me!

Patriot Killa

8 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

Somebody should tell Leonard that Aaron Donald gets double teamed more than anyone in the NFL and still gets 20 sacks.

Fu*kin' a. 

Dominant players are the ones that get it done despite other teams giving them attention. Dominant beats the double team. Dominant makes the catch in double coverage. Dominant runs for the 1st with 8+ defenders in the box. 

Over drafted, over hyped, slightly above average players ask for a future rookie to player better than he does so he can show up on the stat sheet. 

8 minutes ago, HelenOfTroy said:

Helps that Donald has Wade Philips as DC, and a first class defensive coaching staff.

Leonard had....well, incompetence.

I'm sure you watched some Jets games this year to check out Sam, so you got to see a lot of Leo too. Being a USC diehard, what did you think of him compared to what you expected of him coming out of college? Most Jets fans are pretty underwhelmed to disappointed with him. 

For me, it's not that he has been bad. He's been somewhere between alright and pretty good, for the most part. It's more about him not showing the kind of dominance that was talked up so much when he came out of school. Maybe the fault is with my expectations - Hell, of course it is. With the Jets the problem is always my expectations lol. I feel like if Leo was drafted where we took Darron Lee, I probably wouldn't have a bad thing to say about him. 

Here come the excuses. Be accountable for f*cks sake. I’ve seen him owned plenty of times in 1 on 1 situations and have seen him outright dog it. Ridiculous for him to make excuses.

It’s fine if his fans or coaches/analysts want to but he absolutely should not be saying this. No pride. Leo the lion my *ss. Big p*ssy. 

4 hours ago, Patriot Killa said:

Somebody should tell Leonard that Aaron Donald gets double teamed more than anyone in the NFL and still gets 20 sacks.

I’m sure playing with guys like Brockers, Robert Quinn, Suh does help a lot . 

Similar to Leo best years coming with motivated Mo, Sheldon and Snacks . 

Not saying he is Donald cause he isn’t . Donald has some the rarest traits as far as get off I have seen from a DT since John Randle. Just saying having talent around you helps 

5 hours ago, MichaelScott said:

Fu*kin' a. 

Dominant players are the ones that get it done despite other teams giving them attention. Dominant beats the double team. Dominant makes the catch in double coverage. Dominant runs for the 1st with 8+ defenders in the box. 

Over drafted, over hyped, slightly above average players ask for a future rookie to player better than he does so he can show up on the stat sheet. 

Don’t forget that Williams ran his mouth defending the worst HC I’ve ever seen in Bowles. “If Bowles is fired I don’t want to play here”...or some sh*t like that.

I don’t want to see this guy and his 3 sacks (I’m already waiting for the excuses, “his position isn’t to get sacks”, well it would be nice to see him at least 5 times in an entire year at least blowing up plays in the backfield, for the 6th pick in the Nation...which you don’t) score some $14Mill for next year. I want him traded....he can take his lame Twitter con job with him.

5 hours ago, HelenOfTroy said:

Helps that Donald has Wade Philips as DC, and a first class defensive coaching staff.

Leonard had....well, incompetence.

“Leonard had....well, incompetence”....that’s an excuse, and while it’s true, it’s also true the guy looks soft, by NFL standards, and unsurprisingly that dovetails with his level of play.

Aaron Donald would have been the same massive disruptive force even playing for Bowles.  That position isn’t rocket science, as Jamal Adams would say...”See ball get ball”.  Leonard Williams doesn’t live on the same planet as Donald.

By  Robby Sabo -  02/23/2019

Other than the kid’s ridiculously-filthy talent, Quinnen Williams to the New York Jets in the NFL Draft at No. 3 makes little to no sense.

Makes sense: selecting the most aesthetically pleasing piece from the large, scattered pile before you on the table.

Makes little sense: selecting the most aesthetically pleasing piece from the pile while simultaneously understanding it won’t fit the puzzle.

Makes no sense: selecting the least aesthetically pleasing piece from the pile with absolutely no plausible strategy ahead.

At least Quinnen Williams to the New York Jets fits the “makes little sense” category.

Williams, 21, is one of the rarest of interior studs. Dripping with raw physical talent, Williams amassed 10 sacks and 26 tackles for loss to go along with 91 total tackles in just 24 career collegiate games.

Talent is all that separates the young big fella from the “makes no sense” category. The Jets, as a football organization, simply don’t match.

The initial discussion to be had is an obvious one. Despite recent reports suggesting New York will stick with the 3-4 base despite defensive coordinator Gregg Williams never having placed the designation on paper in his NFL career that spans three decades, I’m not quite buying it. In fact, he’s twice taken teams that played the 3-4 and made the switch.

Contrary to some popular belief, Williams’s current personnel doesn’t necessarily fit the 3-4 nicer. Leonard Williams is a natural 3-technique over a 3-4 defensive end. Darron Lee is a natural WILL (or maybe even MIKE) in favor of the prototypical bigger linebacker who plays the inside linebacker within the 3-4.

Actually, the only player who’d benefit from a 3-4 designation is the impending free agent Henry Anderson. Regardless, if re-signed, he’d play a ton of interior defensive tackle next to Leo in sub packages (and with the NFL featuring the 11 personnel as today’s new base, that means well over 65 percent of playing time even if he doesn’t fit the base 4-3).

The 3-4 or 4-3 question only matters now as it pertains to personnel. In season, Williams will play both (as he’s done throughout his career with packages like the 3-4 Okie). The goal is to make sure the depth chart is covered to run both.

Within the 4-3, forget about it; Quinnen Williams doesn’t fit.

Coming in at 6-foot-4 and a cool 295 pounds, he may actually be lighter than Leonard Williams. We don’t know for sure. If anything, they’re a mirror image of one another in terms of body structure.

He and Leo probably shouldn’t play on the same field together when in the base. Could it work based on sheer talent and dominance? Perhaps. But it makes very little sense in terms of bulk.

Ideally, the 3-technique defensive tackle is the Leo/Quinnen type. Strong yet agile, he’s generally the star of the interior, the man the defensive coordinator wants to set up. The man’s weight generally falls within the 290-300 pound range.

The 1-technique needs to be the heavier guy, somewhere over the 310-pound mark. Quinnen just doesn’t fit that mold.

In the 3-4, the rook absolutely fits as Leo’s other half. But what about Henry Anderson? What about the lack of edge and offensive line help? Perhaps free agency cures the outside rushing, perhaps not. Maybe Matt Paradis and/or Mitch Morse can be secured, but there is no solution in terms of a decade-long left tackle young Sam Darnold requires.

What about cornerback? What about that essential third linebacker, a MIKE to run the defense?

There are far too many needs to make Quiennen the choice at No. 3. Mike Maccagnan can’t repeat the Leo choice when Muhammad Wilkerson and Sheldon Richardson were both in-house. Witnessing one or two of them attempt to play the edge was comical at times. “Best available player” is a nice-fitting notion, but piece-placing must enter the forefront at this critical time.

Over 28 total draft picks spanning four seasons, Maccagnan has chosen just two offensive linemen (both in the fifth round, 2015 and 2016). “Best available player” has traveled the Jets down a path that features a terrible unit in front of the franchise face.

At some point, the issue must be forced. Besides, starting up front, in the trenches makes the greatest impact when dealing with raising the production of everybody else on the field.

Naturally, Leo and Quinnen together in pass-rushing situations inside would be flat-out scary. But to not lose an asset (No. 3 pick) in re-signing Henry Anderson for that role has to be the road to travel over Quinnen.

The other consideration revolves around flexibility. Even if the Jets run the 3-4 on paper, Williams will absolutely play the 4-3. Obtaining a 1-technique who can also make the 3-4 nose tackle transition would be ideal. Quinnen could arguably pull it off alongside Leo in the 4-3 base, but has no chance to get it done at the 3-4 NT. That role is reserved for a really big heavy (320-plus pounds).

As per efficiency, overall need, fit and the craving to acquired extra assets in possibly trading down, Quinnen Williams makes little sense to the New York Jets at No. 3 in the 2019 NFL Draft.

Man, the kid is nasty. Not even the greatest Auburn fan could dispute it. It’s understandable that dreams of the highest degree have fans visualizing the kid and Leo tearing it up along the interior for years to come.

He’s just not the right choice at this particular time.

34 minutes ago, LIJetsFan said:

As per efficiency, overall need, fit and the craving to acquired extra assets in possibly trading down, Quinnen Williams makes little sense to the New York Jets at No. 3 in the 2019 NFL Draft.

This argument can be made, but if Quinnen ends up the only HOFer of this class, then who cares. Basically it’s all hypotheticals. If we stay at 3, and he’s the biggest stud on the board you take him. Then build the d around him , sincecwhat wd have blows anyway

4 hours ago, flgreen said:

Somebody should tell Leo that the guy who was helping get the double teams off him, henry Anderson, had much more production then he did.

Guess he didn't notice 

Clearly Leo was happy to sacrifice his own production and draw the double team off Anderson so he could be the one on the field that you actually notice. 

? lol

6 hours ago, flgreen said:

Somebody should tell Leo that the guy who was helping get the double teams off him, henry Anderson, had much more production then he did.

Guess he didn't notice 

Anderson had by far his best season, because of Leonard Williams.

I'm a firm believer that Williams had been utilized incorrectly and stripped of surrounding talent. Not sure if Williams, due to being misused, can fix himself now that nimrod Bowles is gone? But we owe it to ourselves to see if he can become the player we thought we were getting. I would love it if Mac drafted a DL like Quinnen Williams or some other awesome edge rusher to take the pressure off Leonard. Then let the chips fall where they may. That's the only way we'll ever know if Williams is or isn't the player we've been claiming.

Here come the excuses. Be accountable for f*cks sake. I’ve seen him owned plenty of times in 1 on 1 situations and have seen him outright dog it. Ridiculous for him to make excuses.
It’s fine if his fans or coaches/analysts want to but he absolutely should not be saying this. No pride. Leo the lion my *ss. Big p*ssy. 

That was my first thought too.

Then again, there is the possibility he’s just being playful which gets over analyzed nowadays

Poor fella. :-)

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

1 minute ago, GREENBEAN said:

That was my first thought too.

Then again, there is the possibility he’s just being playful which gets over analyzed nowadays

Poor fella. :-)

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

I hear ya but playful or not, it sounds bad coming from him. It could just be me as well. I’m REALLY down on Leo and stuff like this and him dogging it at the end of last year really rub me the wrong way.

2 hours ago, Creepy Lurker said:

I hear ya but playful or not, it sounds bad coming from him. It could just be me as well. I’m REALLY down on Leo and stuff like this and him dogging it at the end of last year really rub me the wrong way.

You and me both. It's just funny overall. these guys can[t say anything without us jumping on it. 

One thing I will say is that I truly believe Todd Bowles and Kacy ROdgers were lost out there. They might not have known it, but they were behind the times. I am really looking forward to seeing what guys like Leo, Lee and Adams can do with someone who actually understands today's game. Leo just may come out of the darkness just in time for his big contract.  Oh what fun !  :P 

2 hours ago, Larz said:

Looks like Quinnen complimented Leo and then he replied 

Hardly Leo using Twitter to make excuses 

Oh okay, I get what you're saying now. 

My post was mostly tongue-in-cheek. I realize he was replying to him and wasn't saying that unprompted... That being said, I don't love his comment just because the whole "double teamed" thing is generally the go to excuse when discussing his lack of impact in games.  Quite honestly, I just dont want to hear about double teams from him. As someone else pointed out in this thread, dominant players arent taken out of the game by double teams on a weekly basis. 

But I understand your point  

Archived