Barr Stays with Vikings

southtown24th

• Replies 385
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Kind of an apples and oranges situation.  I might rather have Barr & more picks from a trade back than take the 2nd or 3rd best pass rusher on the board. 

By missing out on Barr, it kind of puts us in a box on what we do on draft day.  We NEED a guy who can generate his own pass rush, of that there is no doubt.  And while I don't mind bringing in a Justin Houston or Ziggy Ansah, the former is old and the latter will not be worth the money he'll try to command.  We'd still need to double up.  I don't think we'd have needed that kind of urgency with Barr on the roster.  Yeah, I get that he hasn't been an EDGE guy since college, but he comes with a pedigree and has made 4 Pro Bowls.  He'd have been very good in that role here. 

Ansah is Always hurt, no thx, I'd rather have Houston who imo is a much better player regardless of his age... with Huston we can still trade back & hopefully get the BPA & still recoup some of the draft picks we traded away last year.

2 minutes ago, jetsons said:

Ansah is Always hurt, no thx, I'd rather have Houston who imo is a much better player regardless of his age... with Huston we can still trade back & hopefully get the BPA & still recoup some of the draft picks we traded away last year. 

Disagreed.  Signing Houston does not negate the need to draft a pass rusher.  Houston is 30:  He's a stop-gap. 

With Barr, it would have been different.  That 4-year age gap is massive. 

Lol...so Barr's contract has "sack incentives" worth up to $12 million.

I hope they promised him that they'd use him more as an edge rusher moving forward, than when it's time to play, stick him back in the middle of the field trying to cover guys like Robert Woods and Cooper Kupp.

I'm sure he'll bitch about the team going back on it's word....

5 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Disagreed.  Signing Houston does not negate the need to draft a pass rusher.  Houston is 30:  He's a stop-gap. 

With Barr, it would have been different.  That 4-year age gap is massive. 

30 today means ZERO... he can play another 4-5 yrs... which is just fine by me... ps- I never said Not to pick another pass rusher in the draft... just not @ #3. 

2 minutes ago, jetsons said:

30 today means ZERO... he can play another 4-5 yrs... which is just fine by me... ps- I never said Not to pick another pass rusher in the draft... just not @ #3.  

Depending on how far we trade down, I don't think we ought to take a pass rusher at that point.  The time to grab the pass rusher is exactly where we're picking.  Moving down should be for an offensive player or maybe a Corner. 

10 minutes ago, IndianaJet said:

Lol...so Barr's contract has "sack incentives" worth up to $12 million.

I hope they promised him that they'd use him more as an edge rusher moving forward, than when it's time to play, stick him back in the middle of the field trying to cover guys like Robert Woods and Cooper Kupp.

I'm sure he'll bitch about the team going back on it's word....

what is his base he gave up allot of money I am betting the 9 million they had in cap space went to him and the incentives are not that hard to reach

20 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Depending on how far we trade down, I don't think we ought to take a pass rusher at that point.  The time to grab the pass rusher is exactly where we're picking.  Moving down should be for an offensive player or maybe a Corner. 

It all depends who's there when we pick... BPA.. .Terrell Suggs was drafted #10 in 2003... the same year we traded 2 #1 picks to draft Dewayne Robertson @ #4.  ?

I appreciate the run Mac is making at him, but if he doesn't want to be here then see ya later. Coleman with a good OL can do most of what Bell can at almost half the price and way less mileage. Mac apparently gave him a deadline. I hope he sticks to it and just moves on.

1 hour ago, Klecko73isGod said:

Those are fairly pedestrian numbers in today's NFL.

Does it say something that no Jets QB in 50 years has eclipsed all those "pedestrian" numbers?

Darnold has a significantly higher ceiling and has already demonstrated an ability to make plays Cousins wouldn't dare dream about.

I'm very happy with Darnold so far, and I think, with support, he might have a very bright future.  And I hope in his bright future he can put up those "predestrian" numbers Jets QB's seem to have such trouble with.

Nothing wrong with that hope, is there?

No one in their right mind takes Cousins longterm over Darnold right now.

It's not really a debate now, we have Darnold and are invested in him, they have Cousins and are invested in him.  Neither are moving.  Anything else is fantasy, all opinion, no fact, because neither team is dumping their guy in order to prove our little theories.

I will, tho, remind you that the GM everyone is suddenly in love with again, Macc, preferred Cousins to Darnold/Allen/Mayfield.  

5 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Does it say something that no Jets QB in 50 years has eclipsed all those "pedestrian" numbers?

I'm very happy with Darnold so far, and I think, with support, he might have a very bright future.  And I hope in his bright future he can put up those "predestrian" numbers Jets QB's seem to have such trouble with.

Nothing wrong with that hope, is there?

It's not really a debate now, we have Darnold and are invested in him, they have Cousins and are invested in him.  Neither are moving.  Anything else is fantasy, all opinion, no fact, because neither team is dumping their guy in order to prove our little theories.

but here is the thing. the Vikings are butting up against a salary cap so next yr will be interesting as they have to rework or cut players. I am not saying Macc is a genius or even planned this but this could have the effect of them cutting two starters without the ability to resign them next yr,.

1 hour ago, genot said:

I fell asleep happy about the Barr signing. Wake up two hours later, to hear this. Pretty scummy om Barr and his agent's part.

I feel asleep at midnight last night thinking happy thoughts about Barr committing to the Jets, a shot at signing a bona fide centre and hoping Bell would pick the Jets.

Seven hours later I wake up to the fact Barr has gone back on his word, we let Paradis sign with Carolina for what seems to be a very fair contract and I don't know what is happening with Bell.

If not for the fact I need to go to work, I would go back to bed.

Archived