When does Darron Lee get released or traded?

NYJ1

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'd actually like to hold onto him. He has extremely limited trade value and he has shown flashes in select games. 

IMO, since we aren't going to get anything of note from trading him, we might as well just hang onto him and hope he improves this season under Williams. At worst, he provides some experienced depth. 

I personally see no reason to cut him. 

Rex Ryan fires brutal shot at Jets LB Darron Lee: He's 'soft as Charmin'

Tyler Greenawalt | March 17, 2019 7:40 am ET

It’s been a little over four years since the Jets fired Rex Ryan as their head coach, but that hasn’t stopped him from talking about his former team.

He likes the make-up of the current roster enough to predict they will make the playoffs for the first time since 2010 – Ryan’s second year coaching the Jets. But, he is also not particularly fond of inside linebacker Darron Lee, who’s third season in the league ended with a four-game suspension.

With the signing of C.J. Mosley, Ryan told the New York Post the Jets have a replacement for Lee.

“They have a real linebacker now,” Ryan said. “The one kid [Darron Lee] is soft as Charmin, but I think he’ll even play tougher with this guy. This guy is a great pro, studies the game, loves the game. That’s what that defense needs.”

Say what you want about Ryan’s coaching with the Jets and Bills, but the man knows linebackers. During his tenure with the Ravens, Ryan coached the likes of Ray Lewis, Bart Scott and Terrell Suggs. All three, plus Mosley, rank in the Ravens’ top-10 all-time in tackles.
Ryan understands the difference between a player like Mosley, who has 398 solo tackles and 8.5 sacks in five years, and Lee, who has less than half of Mosley’s stats in only two fewer seasons.

Lee looked poised for a breakout third season following a solid sophomore campaign, but he failed to live up to his first-round expectations once again. His tackle totals were only slightly higher than his rookie season, he failed to record a sack in 2018 and he was suspended for the last four weeks of the season for PEDs. Mosley should be a great influence for Lee, though, as he’s been one of the best inside linebackers in the NFL since he entered the league in 2014. That, of course, is if the Jets don’t move on from Lee.

Regardless of whether or not Ryan’s criticisms are warranted, Lee should use these words to motivate him in the final year of his rookie deal. If he proves himself, the Jets could pick up his fifth-year option. If he doesn’t, Lee would turn into another first-round bust for the Jets. With Mosley in town, though, the Jets should be alright with or without him.

7 minutes ago, NYJ1 said:

It’s been a little over four years since the Jets fired Rex Ryan as their head coach, but that hasn’t stopped him from talking about his former team.

He likes the make-up of the current roster enough to predict they will make the playoffs for the first time since 2010 – Ryan’s second year coaching the Jets. But, he is also not particularly fond of inside linebacker Darron Lee, who’s third season in the league ended with a four-game suspension.

With the signing of C.J. Mosley, Ryan told the New York Post the Jets have a replacement for Lee.

“They have a real linebacker now,” Ryan said. “The one kid [Darron Lee] is soft as Charmin, but I think he’ll even play tougher with this guy. This guy is a great pro, studies the game, loves the game. That’s what that defense needs.”

Say what you want about Ryan’s coaching with the Jets and Bills, but the man knows linebackers. During his tenure with the Ravens, Ryan coached the likes of Ray Lewis, Bart Scott and Terrell Suggs. All three, plus Mosley, rank in the Ravens’ top-10 all-time in tackles.
Ryan understands the difference between a player like Mosley, who has 398 solo tackles and 8.5 sacks in five years, and Lee, who has less than half of Mosley’s stats in only two fewer seasons.

Lee looked poised for a breakout third season following a solid sophomore campaign, but he failed to live up to his first-round expectations once again. His tackle totals were only slightly higher than his rookie season, he failed to record a sack in 2018 and he was suspended for the last four weeks of the season for PEDs. Mosley should be a great influence for Lee, though, as he’s been one of the best inside linebackers in the NFL since he entered the league in 2014. That, of course, is if the Jets don’t move on from Lee.

Regardless of whether or not Ryan’s criticisms are warranted, Lee should use these words to motivate him in the final year of his rookie deal. If he proves himself, the Jets could pick up his fifth-year option. If he doesn’t, Lee would turn into another first-round bust for the Jets. With Mosley in town, though, the Jets should be alright with or without him.

A0D17276-0A39-466A-905D-2E2E418B70FC.jpeg

That 2016 class might be the worst 1st round class ever and that Lee spot was a dead zone.  

Check out this garbage.  There might only be 2 or 3 guys extended out of the 11 taken after Lee.

Hou  WR Fuller - good starter but hurt often 
WAS WR Doctson - BUST
Min  WR Treadwell - BUST
Cin  CB Jackson III- Bust at the start, but now 3rd year breakout player.  
Pit   CB Burns - Less Than JAG 
Den QB Lynch - BUST
GB   DT Clark - good starter
SF   G  Garnett - BUST
NE no pick - Deflategate  Cheating Scumbags
Ari   DT Nkemdiche - BUST
Car   DT Butler - BUST
Sea   G  Ifedi - JAG starter and penalty machine

2 hours ago, NYJ1 said:

shut the f*ck up, Rex. 

You know, compared to the LBs being courted by the Raiders... 

Vonteze Burfect, Mante Te’o, and Aaron Lynch.... I wouldn’t be surprised if we pull off a trade with them, Darron Lee for Rodney Hudson, PFFs #4 Center, who they’ve been “shopping”. 

...maybe swap #3 for #4, and toss in a 4th round pick to get their 2nd round pick?

49 minutes ago, MDL_JET said:

meh. I’d rather hang on to him. 

I'd rather draft a developmental prospect preferably on the Oline than keep someone who has no future with this team. 

If we factor in the possibility of letting him walk and getting a possible comp pick two years from now I'd trade him in a heartbeat for a fifth.

7 hours ago, GREENBEAN said:

The whiff...Frozen in time for all to admire.  

I just know Bowles had lots to do with the Lee pick, trying to duplicate AZs D but without all the All Pros on it.  

Pretty sure about the 2nd consecutive Safety chosen in the 2nd Rd also, with Kamara, Smith-Shuster, and many more still on the board.  Not saying I don’t like Maye, but he was old when he was drafted and he’s hurt much of the time unfortunately.

6 hours ago, NYJ1 said:

Worst talent evaluator in history. Kyle Wilson, Quinton Coples, Calvin Pryor — all guys he handpicked. Mocked Danny Woodhead on Hard Knocks for being too short to succeed. Start of last season, mocked Baker Mayfield on ESPN repeatedly for the same reason, openly predicting he’d be a bust because he was too short and too slow. Said Josh Allen was the best QB in the draft. I would keep Lee for Ryan’s criticism of him alone. 

BTW, the writer of the above article is an idiot. Lee wasn’t suspended for PEDs. 

30 minutes ago, JoeWillieWhiteShoesHOF said:

I just know Bowles had lots to do with the Lee pick, trying to duplicate AZs D but without all the All Pros on it.  

Pretty sure about the 2nd consecutive Safety chosen in the 2nd Rd also, with Kamara, Smith-Shuster, and many more still on the board.  Not saying I don’t like Maye, but he was old when he was drafted and he’s hurt much of the time unfortunately.

No doubt. Tampa signed Buchanan this offseason. That's Bowles trying to build his old defense again. 

1 minute ago, BroadwayRay said:

Worst talent evaluator in history. Kyle Wilson, Quinton Coples, Calvin Pace — all guys he handpicked. Mocked Danny Woodhead on Hard Knocks for being too short to succeed. Start of last season, mocked Baker Mayfield on ESPN repeatedly for the same reason, openly predicting he’d be a bust because he was too short and too slow. Said Josh Allen was the best QB in the draft. I would keep Lee for Ryan’s criticism of him alone. 

E1797466-71CB-43FB-BB2D-996C1AF95332.gif.6b8c7b5216b580986961d5724761d40d.gif

4 hours ago, GreenFish said:

No doubt. Tampa signed Buchanan this offseason. That's Bowles trying to build his old defense again. 

There was a reason why he was a lowly Assistant Coach for 20 years with multiple teams.  There’s also a reason why only his good friend Arians hires him for BOTH his DC jobs.  He’ll be there as long as Arians is.

A great strategy for anyone who plays Fantasy Football would be to try to pick up a guy every week who is playing against Tampa and then throw him in the mix...guy is so beyond brutal, but no announcers or league personnel are allowed to speak on the matter.

8 hours ago, JoeWillieWhiteShoesHOF said:

It's incredibly clear to anyone who is looking at it clearly. Lee fits what Bowles wants to run so well, I'm surprised they didn't trade up to get him. lol 

I'm not letting Macc off of the hook entirely, but to me it has always seemed like Macc trying to get Bowles the players he "needed" to run his exotic schemes. He is a defensive mastermind after all. 

Look at the 2016 second round-it was better than the back half of the first round.  The scouts were reading off of Kiper/McShay and were completely duped. We took Hackenburg.  

Knowing the Johnsons, I don’t know how Lee survives in NY given the abuse he has gotten from Bart Scott and Rex.  And then he goes off and gets suspended for substance abuse?  

We will think it’s cheap to keep him, and then regret it. 

1 minute ago, GREENBEAN said:

It's incredibly clear to anyone who is looking at it clearly. Lee fits what Bowles wants to run so well, I'm surprised they didn't trade up to get him. lol 

I'm not letting Macc off of the hook entirely, but to me it has always seemed like Macc trying to get Bowles the players he "needed" to run his exotic schemes. He is a defensive mastermind after all. 

Lee was Buchanon and Adams was Mathieu.   

1 hour ago, GREENBEAN said:

Totally agree.

The worst part is Bowles was sold as someone so expert with D backs, and they were the most clueless unit, out of many, on the field for the entire 4 years.  He might not have had Patrick Peterson and Honey Badger, can’t remember the other corner right now but he he was also real good, like he did in AZ (a team so stacked on D that it was even impossible for Bowles to mess it up), but the Jet d backs were always out of position, clueless in how to communicate with each other...was just a total disgrace.  And virtually no one said a thing about it hahaha (except the fans of course).

You just knew Maccagnan was getting his arm twisted to bring in Bowles “type” of player, if you just cared to look, which like you said isn’t excusable, but I just think things will be way better now.

Jets would have lost 10 games this year if they brought in Antonio Brown to go along with Bell, and Darnold averaging 35 points a game with Tampa’s new DC still as coach.

2 hours ago, varjet said:

Look at the 2016 second round-it was better than the back half of the first round.  The scouts were reading off of Kiper/McShay and were completely duped. We took Hackenburg.  

Knowing the Johnsons, I don’t know how Lee survives in NY given the abuse he has gotten from Bart Scott and Rex.  And then he goes off and gets suspended for substance abuse?  

We will think it’s cheap to keep him, and then regret it. 

Good thing we used our 2nd rd pick to draft the worst quarterback ever

Archived