Gase speaks at League Meeting

6 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

https://www.newyorkjets.com/news/adam-gase-free-agency-turned-out-the-way-we-needed-it-to

Adam Gase: Free Agency 'Turned Out the Way We Needed It To'

Adam Gase characterized the start of his first free agency signing period as the Jets' head coach as something of a personnel roller-coaster.

"I thought it was an interesting few days," he said. "It got a little exciting towards the end but it turned out the way we needed it to and we added some good pieces."

Gase, in some of his first public remarks about those "good pieces," spoke with newyorkjets.com's Eric Allen at the NFL meetings in Phoenix about the new players and familiar faces who have been signed since March 13:

RB Le'Veon Bell: "I think for us, it's going to be about learning him. He brings us something in the passing game that you don't see from a lot of running backs, especially with his size, his speed, his ability to run routes. It's almost like getting a slot receiver that plays running back. That's just outside of him being a really good all-around running back."

ILB C.J. Mosley: "He was a huge piece for us because he's going to be able to run the defense the way Gregg [Williams] wants. We looked at it as we had to get our quarterback on defense, and we felt he was very important for us to get on this roster. We look at it as we have three elite players at all three levels. You have the defensive line with Leo [Williams], C.J. at the linebacker spot and Jamal [Adams] in the secondary. So the middle of that defense is looking the way we want it to look."

WR Jamison Crowder: "When you get the slot receiver really that you're looking for, he's setting the tempo a lot of times. Especially if you're on the ball and you're trying to go quicker, that guy is all over the place, he's the guy that moves a lot. And I think [Jamison] is going to be really an important piece not only on third down but on first and second down."

G Kelechi Osemele: 'He's a very violent player. He's disruptive for an offensive guy where he can move the defensive line off the ball. He's going to play whistle to whistle, he's going to give you everything he has, he's a smart player, he's very good at any type of scheme you can imagine — he can do it all."

CBs Brian Poole and Darryl Roberts: "We wanted to make sure we got Darryl back — that was really big for us. Then the fact that Brian really became a free agent was important because [slot corner]'s a hard position to find, it's a hard role to fill. When you find that guy, you really want to make sure you get him in the building and he gets in our system."

DL Henry Anderson and Steve McLendon: "Both those guys, they were big targets for us. We knew getting those guys back was going to be big. ... With Leo already being there, now you add those two guys back n the mix and you could get excited."

It won't be long before Gase and his staff start coaching up these players and the rest of the roster. The Jets' offseason strength and conditioning program begins April 8.

"It's tough when you're sitting around, watching film, doing all these things, but you have no interaction with the players," he said. "You really want to get those guys in the building so you can start teaching the way we do things, how we're going to go about our business moving forward. And I think guys are excited to get back, kind of be done with the break, and I know most guys are working out, getting ready to go, because once April 8 comes, we're going to hit the ground running."

How did someone actually feel that this post deserved a "buttfumble"??? 

• Thumb Down 3
  • Sympathy 1

2 hours ago, choon328 said:

Try reading again. I was talking strictly about addressing the huge hole at edge rusher. And just bc they tried means nothing. What was the bigger need ILB or Edge?

Why do all of you think that no can read when its you that has an issue with comprehension.

I clearly said that they filled a lot of holes and no one should have expected FA to solve all their problems.  And theres still the draft.  

But, no that wasnt clear enough for you. 

And yes, having reached an agreement with a edge rusher and then having him bail does mean something, they had addressed the problem.  Youre so busy whining for the last week you missed it

2 hours ago, TeddEY said:

When it's time to pay Darnold, it might.

Like every other contract people predicted would be a problem in the past I'll give the same answer.  Build the team today, plan for the cap hits and worry later.  Never seems to be an issue, never the problem people see coming

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, TeddEY said:

MLB in a 3-4 is different than ILB in a 4-3.  Also, the fact that you can point to superstars at the position throughout history doesn't mean that you should pay an above average player like he's a super star.

I don't disagree about supply and demand.  But, that doesn't mean we needed to be the team to do it.

Where is the safety data coming from.  They're also one of the lower paid positions.

Theyre inside LBs.  

Look I dont see the issue paying an all pro inside LB to lead the D a problem.  You do, not a big deal

2 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Why do all of you think that no can read when its you that has an issue with comprehension.

I clearly said that they filled a lot of holes and no one should have expected FA to solve all their problems.  And theres still the draft.  

But, no that wasnt clear enough for you. 

And yes, having reached an agreement with a edge rusher and then having him bail does mean something, they had addressed the problem.  Youre so busy whining for the last week you missed it

You responded to me complaining about them not addressing edge rusher by stating all of the areas they did address besides that. That had nothing to do with the point I was making about edge rusher. They missed on Barr, what did they do after that to address edge rusher? Nothing. Preston Smith was still available after Barr backed out and they got outbid by the Packers and the same thing for Za'Darius Smith. Macc continues to swing and miss way more than he hits and some of you guys want to give him credit for just swinging. That's not how the NFL works. It's a results oriented business.

And I'm not whining, I'm just not throwing them a party bc they added some good players. I can admit that they addressed some areas of need but they whiffed on edge and Left the CB situation worse than it was last year. Edge is the same position Macc had been saying he would address all year long in the off-season. That's a fact but you keep making excuses for them like you're related to Macc.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

To those who cant see past w/l record, refuse to recognize some reasons behind the record.  Like losing your starting QB for most of 2 seasons.  Hard to judge that way.  

I agree, Todd Bowles did have those problems - we should have kept him.  

• Haha 1

This is a little off topic, but I have some concerns about Gase's eyes being "tells" while he's on the sideline. I mean, most coaches are covering their mouth so they don't give away plays. Gase might have to coach with paper bag over his head if other team's "eyes in the sky" get adept at reading him, which shouldn't be too difficult: "Look - his eyes got all big - he's throwing on 3rd down!"

Yeah you can't extend 1st round picks till after their 4th year at the earliest. It's an NFL policy.

The fundamental idea of building through the draft is so overrated. If you have 7 picks in a draft, 1 in each round,  on average 2 may eventually become starters and that number is most likely 1.

One starter per draft?  That's nowhere close to true for any even slightly competent teams.

It is a fact that you have a better probability of an UDFA (13.6%) becoming a starter than a 3rd (12.6%), 4th (10.8%), 5th (6.4%), 6th (4.9%) or 7th (4.2%) round pick.  

A team has to be built through the draft, FA and trades.

Serious question, are you intentionally misrepresenting these statistics, or do you simply not understand what they actually represent?

Those statistics are what percentage of the entire league's starters (at the beginning of one particular season, mind you) came from each round / undrafted, which is a completely different statistic than the chance of a player who was taken in the round to ever become a stater.  The perfect example being that the relatively higher rate of undrafted rookies becoming starters is for no other reason than it is a massively larger pool of players.  Any given round has approximately 32 players per year (with a few more in round 3-7, varying from year to year dependent on comp picks), while there are quite literally hundreds of undrafted rookies every year.  It is a matter of pure volume that they will fill more starting positions than some rounds, but an individual undrafted rookie player has nowhere near a 13.6% chance of becoming an NFL starter.  I'm not sure if that high of a percentage even make team rosters.

Similarly, no round, not even the first, could ever have a particularly high percentage of that statistic. Reason being, there are simply not enough players in the NFL taken from a single round at any given time to come close to filling out the entire league's starting positions, even if every single pick at that round was a success every year (which, of course, would never be the close to true).  For example, it would take 22 years of first round picks all being successful, and none retiring, to fill out all of the league's starting positions.  Over 11 years of that same criteria just to get a figure higher than 50%.

So really, the story these statistics actually tell is that on average, a team should have multiple starters from the 3rd, 4th, and undrafted, and at least 1 each from 5, 6, and 7.  In fairness, that also is counting the original round taken for players acquired via FA or trade, but it's still a very, very different story than the suggestion that it speaks to the success rates of players from individual rounds.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

8 hours ago, Patriot Killa said:

People aren’t understanding this enough. The Jets are....the Jets. To get actual great players like CJ Mosley to leave the consistently well performing franchise and culture that he was drafted into .... you have to create a actual gap between what the Ravens and the other teams are willing to pay.

we did that.

we gave him a reason to consider us and that was in the form of 17mill per

when we become that consistent winner we all hope we can be with Darnold at the helm it will get easier. Just like when Parcells came here and signed a good amount of top FA's Curtis Martin , Kevin Mawae, to name a few.

• Upvote 3

17 hours ago, Creepy Lurker said:

I like his confidence and that he can back it up with knowledge. Player relations and it translating to wins is TBD. I refuse to praise anyone until I see results anymore but I am optimistic about Gase. 

This is where our two differing mindsets converge for a stretch.  I didn't like the hire from the beginning , but am warming slightly. That said, I find myself trying to Homer it up in my mind and think positively, but I have a major road block. I just can't get up to think he's anything until we start seeing some successful results. I'm willing to give it some time and won't throw stones right away, but the eyes alone still have me flustered. His lack of real success in Miami is also difficult for me to get past. 

I totally get the low brimmed hat but the way. Seems he's totally aware of just how nuts he looks. His wife probably waits at the front door every morning with his briefcase and a baseball cap. :) 

Hey, I'm happy we have a respected offensive mind who isn't a flash in the pan Mcvey disciple and I'm happy he has the 3 years of HC experience.  But I can't jump on the praise bandwagon so easily either man.  

Ps. This feels kinda nice, agreeing with you. 

• Upvote 3

19 hours ago, MDL_JET said:

rush him right?  I translate that to mean inside pressure.  Shortest route to the passer--blocked by the less elite OLmen.  Everyone looks for the edge.  Tom Brady does not care about the edge.  Neither does Drew Brees.  They want their 2-3 seconds

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, jetsons said:

How did someone actually feel that this post deserved a "buttfumble"??? 

This thread is peppered with buttfumbles and down votes. More than I've seen since the Mike McCarthy thread. That jeremy guy has at least 15 or so alone.  

• Thumb Down 1

Maybe I'm drinking the Kool Aid here but I'm kind of in this camp now...

A few months ago I was thinking we hired a Miami reject who had goggly eyes and was weirded out at the press conference.

Now I'm thinking we have a focused dude with some great offensive theories and plans.  He knows what he wants to do on offense and he knows the kinds of players he needs to do it.  I often remind myself that the Jets did decline offering jobs to Mike McCarthy, Kingsbury, etc. for a reason.  They wanted this guy....for better or worse.  Yesterday's interview was cool.  It's exciting to hear his approach and the scheming he's already thinking about it.  The guy is clearly energized by this new opportunity and the new pieces the Jets have. One thing that really jumped out at me in his interview here was when he referred to Crowder, Herndon and Bell.  Those are the guys in what I call the "tight game."  It's almost the game within the game.

pistol_green.png.2dfe312f63e1e740b1caa39fe9d4f324.png

If you ignore the outside with Anderson and Enunwa, and just focus on the 3 weapons closest to (surrounding) Darnold then you start to see why Gase feels he can do a lot of varied and different things.  The short area routes, quick outs, seam routes, flares, wheels, etc. with these 3 guys could be amazing.  He's going to choreograph Bell, Herndon and Crowder out there.  I think he could make life very tough on MLBs and Safeties for the other team.

Damn Jets....there they go getting me optimistic again.

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1

A few months ago I was thinking we hired a Miami reject who had goggly eyes and was weirded out at the press conference.
Now I'm thinking we have a focused dude with some great offensive theories and plans.  He knows what he wants to do on offense and he knows the kinds of players he needs to do it.  I often remind myself that the Jets did decline offering jobs to Mike McCarthy, Kingsbury, etc. for a reason.  They wanted this guy....for better or worse.  Yesterday's interview was cool.  It's exciting to hear his approach and the scheming he's already thinking about it.  The guy is clearly energized by this new opportunity and the new pieces the Jets have. One thing that really jumped out at me in his interview here was when he referred to Crowder, Herndon and Bell.  Those are the guys in what I call the "tight game."  It's almost the game within the game.

If you ignore the outside with Anderson and Enunwa, and just focus on the 3 weapons closest to (surrounding) Darnold then you start to see why Gase feels he can do a lot of varied and different things.  The short area routes, quick outs, seam routes, flares, wheels, etc. with these 3 guys could be amazing.  He's going to choreograph Bell, Herndon and Crowder out there.  I think he could make life very tough on MLBs and Safeties for the other team.

Hahaha!!! I hear ya man. It’s almost Happened to me two or three times already too. I just won’t let it happen.
The jets will break your heart!

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app
  • Upvote 1

12 hours ago, joenamathwouldn'tcry said:

Because he and the whole world, until the last few days before the draft, believed that Baker Mayfield would be there for us at the #3 pick, that's why.

day of draft, not days before.  I remember driving to work that day and hearing Adam Schefter saying there are rumors Mayfield could go #1.

I had been trying to convince myself since St Patty's Day that Baker would be acceptable, figuring there was no way we'd get Sam.  It was at that moment that I had this gleam of hope.  then of course you had to worry about the giants because CLEARLY they wouldn't stick with Eli right??  LOL!

• Upvote 1

On 3/26/2019 at 8:43 AM, MDL_JET said:

This is one of the best thing's I've heard from anyone in the organization.  Despite trading for Osemele they (at least Gase) gets that the Line is not done and we need more pieces.  Right now we have Beachum - Osemele - Harrison - Winters - Shell.  Gase is indicating that they're still working on this....and that's a great thing to hear.  I think he knows that he doesn't want each play for his new, high-powered offense to be started by Jonotthan Harrison calling protections and snapping the ball.

19 hours ago, choon328 said:

2019 Franchise and Transition Tenders

Position Franchise Tag Transition Tag
QB $24,865,000 $22,783,000
DE $17,128,000 $14,360,000
WR $16,787,000 $14,794,000
CB $16,022,000 $13,703,000
LB $15,443,000 $13,222,000
DT $15,209,000 $12,378,000
OL $14,067,000 $12,866,000
RB $11,214,000 $9,099,000
S $11,150,000 $9,531,000
TE $10,387,000 $8,815,000
ST $4,971,000

$4,537,000

They're right in the middle of the pack. This is based on the average of the Top 5 at each position.

We're gonna end up franchising Adams in a few years.  I can already see it.

On 3/26/2019 at 8:59 AM, MDL_JET said:

Cimini says, "Gase on the importance of getting an edge rusher...." It's a tiny thing but when Gase says "guys" instead of "guy" in his answer I start to think the Jets aren't married to the idea of getting just one premiere Edge rusher at the top of the draft.  Maybe I'm reading too much into it but this Draft is apparently deep at the Edge rusher spot (not just top heavy with Bosa, Allen, Burs, Ferrell, etc.).  So Gase could be intimating again that the trade down approach is really what they want to take and that maybe they'd rather get an Edge guy in Round 2 and again in Round 4, rather than the home run guy at #3.

21 hours ago, TeddEY said:

Assume this is aimed at me...

By no means is PFF the gold standard of anything.  But, in 2019, they write an article called "Why teams shouldn't break the bank on CJ Mosely" and in 2018, they write an article called "2018 free agents to avoid" and Trumaine Johnson is the photo they use, and the 1st one listed, perhaps it's worth considering that these players may not be great investments.  I mean, the Johnson article seems pretty solid today, no?

It was more of a general statement, as I've attacked PFF and their metrics on more than one occasion.  They graded Daryl Roberts as a top 3 corner a few years back, and I doubt there are many of us here who actually believe that Roberts is that type of player.

IIRC, the reason they used Trumaine is the fact that he had a massive season and his average graded year was still a great Corner, just not "Super Elite".  It's been mentioned here before, but market dictates cost.  I still don't have a problem with Trumaine and his signing for two reasons:  

1.  I believe that he is going to have a big bounce back year now that he's been reunited with Greg Williams.  I truly believe his big struggles at times were directly related to the off-man Zone scheme we were deploying.

2.  We desperately needed a corner and landed the biggest fish in the pond.

If he struggles again this year, than there is clearly something else to blame, but, personally, I don't believe it will be something that is related to PFF.  At the end of the day, it's just fun fodder, nothing concrete.

2 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

I don't think it would work, but it would be very Jet-sy if it did.  Very James Farrior.  Guy plays 3 years at one position: sucks.  One good year, signs elsewhere and Boom!  Borderline Hall of Fame!

Farrior also had like 30 lbs on Lee, so I wouldn't really bet on that working out similarly.  If Lee were to see any greater success, it would have to be in the 4-3.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, #27TheDominator said:

I don't think it would work, but it would be very Jet-sy if it did.  Very James Farrior.  Guy plays 3 years at one position: sucks.  One good year, signs elsewhere and Boom!  Borderline Hall of Fame!

His speed and size screams OLB. He was never fit (too small) to be an ILB particularly in a 3-4.

19 minutes ago, Embrace the Suck said:

His speed and size screams OLB. He was never fit (too small) to be an ILB particularly in a 3-4.

In the 3-4 many/most teams run smaller LBs inside.  Mark Barron, for instance.  He was a safety and moved to weakside when Ogletree got hurt.  When they went 3-4, he moved to inside LB where he will play in Pittsburgh.  

Hopefully it works out and Gase is here for a while. They certainly overpaid Mosely, but in this instance I think it makes some sense as he's not going milk it and he's a #culture guy. The Ravens have the ability to let these guys go because they're good at picking players. The Jets arent. Bart Scott was an overpay too, but he was a fine signing. Hopefully somewhere along the way the Jets figure out how to draft, but bringing in sure things that will play hard every week is a good start. 

20 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

In the 3-4 many/most teams run smaller LBs inside.  Mark Barron, for instance.  He was a safety and moved to weakside when Ogletree got hurt.  When they went 3-4, he moved to inside LB where he will play in Pittsburgh.  

I always remember teams wanting larger thumpers inside with a 3-4 since they have to take on OL more often. I know Bowles had a safety play ILB too, but I wonder if the smaller guys are outliers, though possibly less now as we've transitioned to a passing league.

5 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

• Haha 1

10 Jets Takeaways from NFL owners meetings

Sam Darnold, new weapons, draft, playoffs and more

By Ralph Vacchiano | Mar 27 | 4:15P

Oct 15, 2017; East Rutherford, NJ, USA; New York Jets acting CEO Christopher Johnson on the sidelines before a game against the New England Patriots at MetLife Stadium. Mandatory Credit: Brad Penner-USA TODAY Sports (Brad Penner)

PHOENIX - For a team that went on a wild, free-agent spending spree for the second time in 13 months after firing their coach three months ago, the Jets have been awfully quiet lately. No controversies. No scandals. Nothing but the business of football really.

And that's just the way they seem to like it … at least for now.

That may change when people realize the expectations have been raised, whether they admit it or not. It will certainly change if and when the winning actually starts. But for now, they are the quiet team in town, content to not make too many headlines.

Regardless, after listening to CEO Christopher Johnson, GM Mike Maccagnan, new coach Adam Gase, and several scouts inside and outside the organization, here are 10 takeaways from the Jets' time at the NFL's annual owners meetings at the Arizona Biltmore hotel:

They have huge expectations for a breakout year for second-year QB Sam Darnold 

There is no uncertainty when they talk about the future of their franchise quarterback, and they can barely hide their excitement. What they saw at the end of last season particularly gives them reason to believe he will put it all together in Year 2. A lot of that hope also is because of Gase. No one will say bad things about the previous coaching staff, but let's just say they are very happy to have their young QB in the hands of a genuinely bright offensive coaching mind. They may have worries about this team, but Darnold is not one of them.

They believe they are loaded offensively and have huge plans for Le'Veon Bell and Jamison Crowder 

Gase looked a little like a mad scientist talking about Bell and Crowder in particular, and the ways he plans to use them. He kept saying he won't put them "in a box", which makes it sound like he's open to lining them up everywhere. Previously he said the same about the holdover weapons like Quincy Enunwa, Robby Anderson and Chris Herndon. Obviously Bell is the key, but his offense really features the slot receiver in creative ways, which makes Crowder a fascinating addition. Think of what Wes Welker used to be for the Patriots, because that seems to be how Gase envisions him.

They are serious about trading down, but it'll cost at least a second-round pick, even to move down a little 

Maccagnan wasn't lying when he said he's open to trading down and that he's already had some preliminary discussions about it. The Jets have only six picks in the draft and the third overall pick is going to be very valuable - especially for anyone that wants to get one of the top two quarterbacks before they're off the board. Word around the league is that the Jets want to recoup the second-round pick they gave up to the Colts last year in their own trade up from No. 6 to No. 3. My guess is that anyone who wants to move up, even a little, will have to start with that.

They will be very, very tempted to stay at No. 3 and take one of the best defensive players in the draft 

Yes, I know I just said Maccagnan wants to trade down. The problem with that is the top of the draft is filled with what he needs most - players who can rush the passer. And not just edge rushers. Interior rushers too. He's guaranteed to get one of the big three defensive players - Ohio State DE Nick Bosa, Kentucky LB Josh Allen, Alabama DT Quinnen Williams - and if Oklahoma QB Kyler Murray goes No. 1 he might have his choice. How can he pass up on that? The answer is that maybe he can't.

They're not afraid of new defensive coordinator Gregg Williams, and actually hope he brings a nasty side to their defense 

There's a big smile any time anyone talks about Williams and what he'll bring to the Jets' defense - and the Jets practices. It sounds like they can't wait for Williams' D and Gase's O to go head-to-head, and if it gets nasty, so be it. Of course, they don't want fights or for anyone to get hurt, but there's a feeling that Williams' aggression will bring a competitiveness and edge to practices that the Jets sorely need. And if they can translate that into a game, they might be dangerous. Left unsaid is the hope that they end up more dangerous to others than to themselves.

They're going to shop LB Darron Lee, and if they can't they're definitely not going to exercise his fifth-year option 

The signing of LB C.J. Mosley, one year after signing Avery Williams, made that clear. Gase seemed to say he could find a position for Lee, and Maccagnan talked about his inexpensive contract as if keeping him would be no big deal. But there's no way to sugarcoat it. The Jets are down on the former first-round pick and they won't be picking up his fifth-year option (which they'd have to do by May 2). So knowing he'll be gone in 2020 anyway, they will absolutely listen to offers for him, probably closer to the draft. He's only 24 and due only $1.8 million this season and isn't a terrible player, but it's hard to imagine the Jets could get more for him than a Day 3 draft pick.

They think LB C.J. Mosley is going to be a star 

As giddy as the Jets are over the addition of Bell, they're even more excited about Mosley. He's not the edge rusher they need, but they look at him as a guy that can do everything from the middle of their defense. Also, as Gase said, he's a "culture changer". They see him as a Ray Lewis-type who can be the leader in their locker room, and help make young safety Jamal Adams into a real leader too, not just a team spokesman. The defense over the last few years has been a bad mix of characters and players who seemed to do what they want. They think Mosley, both with his voice and by example, is the man to put a stop to all of that. Oh, and they think he's going to be a dominant player, too.

They're not worried about what seems to be a hole at center 

I find this odd, but neither Maccagnan nor Gase were very worked up over not having an obvious starting center. They made a somewhat half-hearted run at Matt Paradis in free agency, and they had a meeting with Stefan Wisniewski that didn't seem to lead to anything. They seem oddly comfortable with Jonotthan Harrison, who re-signed after he took over at center for Spencer Long last season. They obviously saw something they liked in the 27-year-old. Don't be shocked if they also take a center on Day 2 of the draft.

Adam Gase is convinced he'll be a much better coach the second time around 

When he looked back on his time in Miami he saw a young coach who was overwhelmed by all the other stuff that went into being a head coach - the non-football stuff like planning and organizing schedules and dealing with the media and handling everyone's problems. He's more relaxed now and was able to quickly get through the basics and move onto football things. That's often a huge problem for rookie coaches. They can't focus on the most important stuff - the football - because they're swamped in executive-level issues. It's why so many coaches are better in their second stop. Gase seems confident that's the way it will be for him, and so are his bosses.

There's no playoff mandate, but make no mistake: They expect to make the playoffs 

The Jets don't want to say it, and they probably won't, but they are absolutely looking at what they built as a playoff team. They would be stunned, from top to bottom, by another five- or six-win season and barring a string of catastrophic injuries they won't even be happy with 8-8. Their internal expectations are sky high, and they believe this is the year they will finally arrive. They believe the pieces are in place for nine or 10 wins. No one will say it. No one will mandate it. But it's clear they love their team for the first time in many years.

• 1 month later...
On 3/28/2019 at 7:20 AM, LIJetsFan said:

When he looked back on his time in Miami he saw a young coach who was overwhelmed by all the other stuff that went into being a head coach - the non-football stuff like planning and organizing schedules and dealing with the media and handling everyone's problems.

I got a kick out of this. It was literally 24 of the last 30 months... and they talk about it here like I do the first 5 years of my 20 year career.