Report: Jets and Giants Could Strike Deal if Murray Falls

JetNation

24 minutes ago, nycdan said:

I thought that might be the case earlier in the process but now, I don't see how it was worth it.  Even if they get a haul of picks, do you think Rosen is all hearts and flowers for the team now?  I can't see treating your FQB that way, even to muscle a few draft picks.  Would you have the Jets do that to Sam for extra picks?

SAM didn't suck as much as Rosen did.

but for example - i think that perhaps CARR and the RAIDERS are playing games to get people to think they want a QB.  get someone to jump ahead and trade with the Jets/SF.   

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, UntouchableCrew said:

I'll believe a Giants/Jets trade of that magnitude when I see it.

That said, they'd be a great trade down partner for us. We could still grab Allen/Oliver/another top notch rusher while picking up either 17 overall or a plethora of Day 2/3 picks.

I do think its possible that the Giants and Jets can be grown up enough to make a trade.

I don’t think its possible that the Maras/Gettleman/Schumur trade for Kyler Murray when they have Eli.  There are a couple of Eli clones that could be available at 17 and could be available at 6.  

The Kyler Murray story is a perfect example of how dumb the draft process is and especially coverage of the draft process. Two months ago, it was “Kyler Murray is playing baseball,” then it was “Is Kyler Murray even a second day pick?” Then it was “Is Kyler Murray a first rounder?” Then it was “Kliff Kingsbury miiiiight draft him first overall.” And now it’s “Will a team trade three first rounders to move up for Kyler Murray???” Either Murray has the best PR group in the business or nobody in football knows anything at all. 

1 hour ago, Adoni Beast said:

THey can. But those teams will be more inclined to trade with us at 3, because the cost will be lower and they know San Fran isn’t take a QB at 2. 

And they won’t know we’re not taking a QB either?

12 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

The Kyler Murray story is a perfect example of how dumb the draft process is and especially coverage of the draft process. Two months ago, it was “Kyler Murray is playing baseball,” then it was “Is Kyler Murray even a second day pick?” Then it was “Is Kyler Murray a first rounder?” Then it was “Kliff Kingsbury miiiiight draft him first overall.” And now it’s “Will a team trade three first rounders to move up for Kyler Murray???” Either Murray has the best PR group in the business or nobody in football knows anything at all. 

PLGSRjx.gif

There's all the folks running off a cliff who predicted Kyler Murray to the Cardinals.

24 minutes ago, batman10023 said:

SAM didn't suck as much as Rosen did.

9 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

Sam and suck do not belong in the same sentence. 

Image result for angry dude gifs

Excellent point. If memory serves, Sam was the 27th ranked QB last year.

Rosen was what? #30?

1 hour ago, nycdan said:

I am still dubious it plays out this way for the reason I'll state below, but if it did....having to possibly choose between 4/27 or 6/17 would be a nice problem for Macc to have.  

The reason I am nearly certain the Cards are taking Murray is if there was even a slight change they weren't how could they possibly subject Rosen, their de facto franchise QB (if they don't take Murray) to the embarrassment, uncertainty and negativity he's been subjected to.  I just don't think any team could be dumb enough to knowingly do that to their QB.  I don't think I'd have initially thought Murray made sense for them, but based on where things have gone the last month, I'll go on record that I will be gobsmacked if they pass on Murray Thursday night.

The other thought is that Rosen was told they were going to use the Murray talk to try to entice someone to trade up. Rosen did show up to voluntary camp amid all of these rumors, uncertainty and negativity. With all of that there has not been one negative thing out of the Rosen camp (his agent) that has been negative regarding the Cardinals. Most agents would've leaked something about how bad Rosen has been treated this offseason. Instead there has been nothing. 

1 hour ago, playtowinthegame said:

A trade like that between the Jets and Giants would cause mass hysteria.

I'd love it. That would be my preferred deal if we could manage it.  Dropping to 6 for a 2nd and 3rd or next years first or second or whatever would be just fine for me.  I see no reality in thinking we are gonna get the same deal we gave up last year for #3. It would be fantastic but a 2nd and 3rda and next years 3rd  would be delightful for me to drop to 6. 

I'd be aggressively dangling 6 too, but would be just fine picking at 6 after recouping the other picks. 

Wonky thought. Cardinals considering moving down with a team that wants Murray, okay taking a haul but want Oliver. Jets feel 49ers would stand pat at 2 and they’re trying to throw a wrench in things and see if they can’t be in the drivers seat at 3.

Guess it could theoretically be the 49ers too. Lynch has shown he’ll move down a little to get his guy. 

3 minutes ago, 14 in Green said:

Excellent point. If memory serves, Sam was the 27th ranked QB last year.

Rosen was what? #30?

It’s like you people forget that stats for rookie QB’s are worthless and the eye test matters so much more. 

But cool, yeah, PF rankings n stuff, nice.

21 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

It's a year-round industry dominated by click-bait for the one round. Congrats on participating in the echo chamber.

23 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

It's a totally crazy time of year.

17 minutes ago, playtowinthegame said:

Sam did finish strong. You got to give him that. He finished so strong he cost the Jets the number one overall pick in Buffalo.

He definitely did, and with a depleted offense around him.

My comment was meant more as a defense of Rosen, who had even less talent around him, yet he gets killed around here.

4 minutes ago, 14 in Green said:

He definitely did, and with a depleted offense around him.

My comment was meant more as a defense of Rosen, who had even less talent around him, yet he gets killed around here.

Rosen had more skill position talent around him (Fitzgerald, Johnson) but a worse offensive line. 

On a side note, that's currently what a lot of Jets fans want to do to Darnold in 2019. Just some food for thought.

9 minutes ago, Adoni Beast said:

They will but they’ll have to get in front of Oakland who loves Murray. Any team would obviously want to pay as little as possible. 3rd is cheaper than 2nd pick.

Shhhh!  Don't mess up the wonderful narrative that the Giants would rather pay more to move up to 2 than trade with the Jets at 3 for the same player.  I am riveted to this thread.

1 hour ago, rangerous said:

they had a small qb before, tarkenton, and he did pretty well, just not for the giaints.  no comments on the draft.  i just think the jets need some additional quality picks and if they can parlay the 3rd pick into a top 10 plus more then it's worth exploring.

They won a NFL championship in 1934 with 5'8 Harry Newman as QB ..B)

Archived