They are killing the Giants

More Cowbell

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I do not hate the Giants. That makes me different than some of the folks around here. But they have really had an atrocious couple of years under Gettleman.

I will try to be objective, but I believe both as a fan and objectively that Sam Darnold is going to be an excellent quarterback in this league. I don’t know if he will be a top three or five guy, but I expect him to be a top 10 quarterback in the NFL. Imagine now that you are the New York Giants and you have an aging Eli Manning, and you have now passed on Sam Darnold and Josh Allen in consecutive drafts. You have taken a great running back and backup QB.

The New York Giants could have Sam Darnold, Josh Allen, Odell Beckham Jr.

They have Saquon Barkley, Daniel Jones, Christian Wilkins.

Their best player drafted is at a non-premier position.  I LOVE Barkley.  But he is not a quarterback, a pass rusher, a CB, or a LT.

His fifth year option will approach sooner than the Giants expect and I believe that they will have wasted his first 2 to 3 years on the team. He will become a fortune to keep and they will have to overpay for their failings at other positions.  This is why they traded up for a CB tonight.

As they say, “this is not your daddy’s New York Giants.” Not sure what has happened to this team. 

1 hour ago, jetstream23 said:

I do not hate the Giants. That makes me different than some of the folks around here. But they have really had an atrocious couple of years under Gettleman.

I will try to be objective, but I believe both as a fan and objectively that Sam Darnold is going to be an excellent quarterback in this league. I don’t know if he will be a top three or five guy, but I expect him to be a top 10 quarterback in the NFL. Imagine now that you are the New York Giants and you have an aging Eli Manning, and you have now passed on Sam Darnold and Josh Allen in consecutive drafts. You have taken a great running back and backup QB.

Their best player drafted is at a non-premier position.  I LOVE Barkley.  But he is not a quarterback, a pass rusher, a CB, or a LT.

His fifth year option will approach sooner than the Giants expect and I believe that they will have wasted his first 2 to 3 years on the team. He will become a fortune to keep and they will have to overpay for their failings at other positions.  This is why they traded up for a CB tonight.

As they say, “this is not your daddy’s New York Giants.” Not sure what has happened to this team. 

They wish they drafted Wilkins, they got a pure NT @ 17 in Lawrence when they could have kept Snacks, even though he was expensive. Both our division rivals Miami and Buffalo picked up great DT's.

1 hour ago, Nixhead said:

This is way worse than Hackenberg. Hack was a 2nd round pick. This was an early 1st round pick. They blew this one big time. Mac is not a good GM but Gettleman is horrible. 

This is a really really dumb post.

The Jets drafted yet another DE in the 1st round tonight, and you’re worried about Gettleman and the Giants. Hackenburg was so bad he never even got on the field. Jones hasn’t even signed a contract yet, but you’re already saying he’s a worse pick then Hack? Give me a frigging break.

You, I, nor anyone else knows how this kid is going to turn out, but he is a 1st round talent, whether you can see it or not. That is how he was rated prior to the draft.

BTW The Giants also got Lawrence, who played alongside and is probably as good as QW, and a top rated CB in the 1st round tonight along with Jones. I’d say they and Gettlemanhad a better night then the Jets and Macc did.

13 minutes ago, MindOverMatter said:

I'm loving watching my Giants friends suffer through this span of questionable roster decision making. Gettleman really should be buried for this, idk wtf he's thinking but he is single handedly ruining that franchise.

...and I’m sure they’re green with envy seeing all the success your team ihas been having the last few years. ?

2 hours ago, Nixhead said:

This is way worse than Hackenberg. Hack was a 2nd round pick. This was an early 1st round pick. They blew this one big time. Mac is not a good GM but Gettleman is horrible. 

He hasn't played an NFL snap yet... until he does it's still open how good or bad he will be... just have to wait & see... We saw Hack & he was a HACK.

1 hour ago, 14 in Green said:

This is a really really dumb post.

The Jets drafted yet another DE in the 1st round tonight, and you’re worried about Gettleman and the Giants. Hackenburg was so bad he never even got on the field. Jones hasn’t even signed a contract yet, but you’re already saying he’s a worse pick then Hack? Give me a frigging break.

You, I, nor anyone else knows how this kid is going to turn out, but he is a 1st round talent, whether you can see it or not. That is how he was rated prior to the draft.

BTW The Giants also got Lawrence, who played alongside and is probably as good as QW, and a top rated CB in the 1st round tonight along with Jones. I’d say they and Gettlemanhad a better night then the Jets and Macc did.

Jones was not generally perceived to be a "first round talent" but anybody other than the Giants. Most analysts I've read who are candid (i.e. not the NFL paid ones who can't be as forthright) believe it is one of the worst picks in history. Jones was kicked to the first round, purely because people were aware of the Giants interest. 

And Lawrence wasn't a teammate of Q Williams, Lawrence is Clemson and Williams is Alabama. 

5 hours ago, Mark78 said:

Could this be worse than the Hackenberg pick?

No and I wanted Hackenberg drafted! :( 

Think Hack never was a NFL quality player and ended up having the Jets pass on Mahomes the guy I wanted them to draft.  

That is the definition of a horrible pick. 

In terms of talent, I don't have a problem with the Jones pick at all. The problem is where he was drafted. The Giants could have picked him in the 2nd round or at the end of the 1st. They're going to get chewed out for the pick, but I think with a year to sit and learn he could become a very good QB.

Gentleman better hope so, because that reach was pretty crazy

5 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

I don’t hate the giants either. I have friends who are giants fans so I pull for them if the jets are out (which they usually are).  

Fully agree that Gettleman is a disaster though.  And it does suck that they’re probably going to waste Saquon’s entire prime.

Saquon grew up a Jet fan and he might single-handedly end up rescuing the Jets’ franchise by freeing up Darnold for us at #3 overall last year (by getting the Giants to pick him). 

2 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

In terms of talent, I don't have a problem with the Jones pick at all. The problem is where he was drafted. The Giants could have picked him in the 2nd round or at the end of the 1st. They're going to get chewed out for the pick, but I think with a year to sit and learn he ciyld become a very good QB.

You can speculate that if the giants had not taken him at 6 he could have fallen out of the first round entirely.  What other team would have taken him, yet passed on lock?

17 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

You can speculate that if the giants had not taken him at 6 he could have fallen out of the first round entirely.  What other team would have taken him, yet passed on lock?

Yeah, that was pretty much my conclusion. The Giants could have picked him up in the 2nd round or even at the bottom of then1st with that 30th pick they had if they feared losing him.

They level of reach on that pick by the Giants was spectacularly overkill, but Jones is a solid player if he sits for a year. 

35 minutes ago, kevinc855 said:

They should be jones at 5 and before Haskins is a joke. 

Im not Gona say racist either but umm this is the elitist snobby giant franchise...

did you see that d bag? He’s perfect for them 

Not gonna say racist but says racist.

You drinkin this early?

28 minutes ago, jack48 said:

he saw 3 Senior Bowl series and knew Jones was a pro QB

To give alittle more credit, Jones had a personal workout with the Giants and I heard that he blew the doors off. 

Still didnt warrant picking him 6th overall though. 

Gettleman basically said with that pick that Jones is better than Sam Darnold. 

I dont believe that

Archived