They are killing the Giants

6 hours ago, Villain The Foe said:

To give alittle more credit, Jones had a personal workout with the Giants and I heard that he blew the doors off. 

Still didnt warrant picking him 6th overall though.

Okay, so before you work him out he seems to be evaluated at second round by some experts and possible late first rounder by other experts. Then you work him out and he impresses hugely.  Why is it such a reach that you grab the guy the first chance you can?

Seems the Giants did the same thing with Phil Simms and that worked out okay.

• Upvote 1

Just now, T0mShane said:

I just watched 60 seconds of Daniel Jones "highlights" and I can safely say that might be the worst draft pick ever. The ball comes out of his hand like it's filled with lead. What a travesty.

during the combine they were saying that his deep ball has too much air under it.  lobs it downfield.

13 minutes ago, kelticwizard said:

Okay, so before you work him out he seems to evaluated at second round by some experts and possible late first rounder by other experts. Then you work him out and he impresses hugely.  Why is it such a reach that you grab the guy the first chance you can?

Seems the Giants did the same thing with Phil Simms and that worked out okay.

Because you want the most bang for your buck. The Giants had 2 1st round picks and then traded up on the back end for their 3rd first round pick. 

The Giants had the opportunity to get a top defensive prospect for a team that was terrible on defense last year, and then picked up Jones with the pick that they got for OBJ. 

They had a shot at both Oliver and Allen, and it's safe to say that there was a very strong possibility that Jones would have still been available by 17.

At the end of the day the front office did what they thought was the best for them, though an unpopular position based on perceived value. But to be fair this is purely my opinion and maybe the Giants wasnt the only team that Jones truly impressed. Maybe if the Giants took Oliver and Allen with the 6th pick with hopes of getting Jones with the 17th pick, maybe the Redskins spoil the plan and draft Jones at 15 instead of Haskins. 

At the end of the day these are projections, and projections & mocks to determine true value is mostly wrong down the road. We'll look at this draft 3 years from now and, as always, if the draft was done over the majority of that draft order would change given hindsight. 

I have no problem admitting that the Giants could very well have hit that out the park and the rest of the world are too out of the loop to see what Gettleman sees. But, when you're that much of a Maverick then you have to also accept the criticism that comes with being so unorthodox in your approach. 

It took balls to make that call, and I can always respect when something takes onions to make happen. 

1 hour ago, Bruce Harper said:

A lot of the criticism is because there are a lot of people who didn’t rate him as a first round talent.

Williams is not a DE. He is a tackle.

And virtually no one would agree that Lawrence “is probably as good as QW. “

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

No, the issue was a lot of people had him as a mid first round pick, especially after the combine and his pro day. To be honest, I think he should've/could've been taken with their second 1st. But If they liked him, that's their choice, and why do we care anyway? I keep saying how dumb it is for our fans to laugh at other organizations. Worry about our own mess.

Its hysterical to me how many people here wanted to take a Bama LT or Ole Miss WR at 3 because "what are a few draft slots if you get the guy you want at a position of need?",  but now the old standard, "when you identify your guy, especially at QB, you take him, regardless of the draft slot" doesn't apply because Jet fans want to rag on the Giants and Gettleman.

If the kid doesn't work out, that's one thing, but I'm not listening to any JN gurus who've already decided his fate.

As for Lawrence, you, I, or nobody else knows which of DL, between QW, Ferrell, or Lawrence will turn out to be better. My comment is not out of line. Odds are they'll all be really good.

My other point was I'd rather be the team that took a QB, a DL, and a CB in the 1st then the team that took a DL and has to wait until the 3rd to pick again. I'll stick with that one also. 

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

I just watched 60 seconds of Daniel Jones "highlights" and I can safely say that might be the worst draft pick ever. The ball comes out of his hand like it's filled with lead. What a travesty.

I thought it was comical that Gettleman said he fell in love with Jones at the Senior Bowl.  Despite winning some meaningless MVP for the game, most people left Mobile with much lower opinion of Jones than what they went in with.   If you watched his workouts and even the throws he missed in the game, you could see the glaring lack of arm strength.    

Plus, this whole Cutcliff/Manning connection is comical.  What QB without the last name of Manning has Cutcliff produced from the college ranks?  

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, sec101row23 said:

I thought it was comical that Gettleman said he fell in love with Jones at the Senior Bowl.  Despite winning some meaningless MVP for the game, most people left Mobile with much lower opinion of Jones than what they went in with.   If you watched his workouts and even the throws he missed in the game, you could see the glaring lack of arm strength.    

Plus, this whole Cutcliff/Manning connection is comical.  What QB without the last name of Manning has Cutcliff produced from the college ranks?  

I’m watching these videos of him and I honestly don’t even see how he’s any better than Ryan Finley

30 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

I remember doing the same with Hackenberg when we drafted him and feeling my soul slowly die.

Intangibles they said.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

I’m watching these videos of him and I honestly don’t even see how he’s any better than Ryan Finley

He’s not.  Finley is another pop-gun armed QB.  Jones is 6’5” and looks like he should have a bigger arm, but it’s well below average IMO.  

30 minutes ago, 14 in Green said:

No, the issue was a lot of people had him as a mid first round pick, especially after the combine and his pro day. To be honest, I think he should've/could've been taken with their second 1st. But If they liked him, that's their choice, and why do we care anyway? I keep saying how dumb it is for our fans to laugh at other organizations. Worry about our own mess.

Its hysterical to me how many people here wanted to take a Bama LT or Ole Miss WR at 3 because "what are a few draft slots if you get the guy you want at a position of need?",  but now the old standard, "when you identify your guy, especially at QB, you take him, regardless of the draft slot" doesn't apply because Jet fans want to rag on the Giants and Gettleman.

If the kid doesn't work out, that's one thing, but I'm not listening to any JN gurus who've already decided his fate.

As for Lawrence, you, I, or nobody else knows which of Clemson's DL, between QW, Ferrell, or Lawrence will turn out to be better. My comment is not out of line. Odds are they'll all be really good.

My other point was I'd rather be the team that took a QB, a DL, and a CB in the 1st then the team that took a DL and has to wait until the 3rd to pick again. I'll stick with that one also. 

I'd rather be the team that drafts properly. Let the draft come to you and talent will drop. 

I've been mad because we didn't maximize our capitol. At least we didn't reach. That's the worst thing you can do. 

Imagine Gettleman could have Darnold, Beckham, Josh Allen, and taken Greedy today. 

Instead they have Barkley, Lawrence, Baker and Jones. 

That's bad. Wow that's really bad. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Warfish said:

I very highly doubt it.

All Jones has to do is take snap that counts and he will have exceeding Hackenberg's legacy.

If he busts out if the league it’s a worse use of assets than hack. That being said, I hope he turns out good, something about a guy (Gettleman)goin against the grain and going with his gut that I like in an over analytical  world we live in ....or he might be tryin to make Big Mac look good 

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Welp said:

To make that statement that they might sit him for 3 years shows how truly moronic and clueless Gettleman is. That seems to imply that he believes his current roster is good enough to compete because why would you keep playing Eli unless you believe that is the case. Which goes back to why would they draft Jones to sit him 3 years on a rookie deal when they could have addressed more necessary needs like protecting Eli while also trading away his best weapon.

Gettleman is lying through his teeth.....Eli will have his farewell tour next season then he’s handing the keys over in 2020