Article: Philadelphia Eagles could lose Joe Douglas to the New York Jets, Jets Close to Deal (merged)

2 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

My question still stands.  Why do you post different pictures of you pointing a shotgun at the camera?

Once in a blue moon, where it works and why do you care? If I had a real  Yankee shirt there would be one of those too.

1 hour ago, T0mShane said:

The headline here is that a young, desirable GM candidate who's been climbing the ladder for twenty years and whom presumably has some options has actively chosen to come work for the Jets, and with Adam Gase, in the year of our lord 2019. The Jets usually can't even get a guy like this to come in for an interview, much less take the job. Within two days time, Gase has fired Maccagnan and brought in a coveted executive with a pedigree. Not too shabby.

Even though I still say it was absolutely idiotic that they didn’t fire Macc at the same time as Bowles (at a minimum), I would be ecstatic if we ended up with Joe Douglas (and I’d be more than fine with Daniel Jeremiah).  

3 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

Maybe he’s coming on to Joe Douglas’s staff. I hope.

Typically ex-pats don’t do well with other teams but I’d still take the chance.  I say bring him in! 

And I’d still love it if Mangini is brought back, too. 

1 minute ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Typically ex-pats don’t do well with other teams but I’d still take the chance.  I say bring him in! 

And I’d still love it if Mangini is brought back, too. 

”as discussions about this have been ongoing for some time.”

meaning his desire to leave was pre-Jets GM Job vacancy.

The Pioli stuff is meaningless to the Jets.  If he were in any way being seriously considered for the GM job, there would be absolutely no reason for him to step down, as they could simply hire him directly from their staff.  It would be all risk and no reward for Pioli to step down before that, if that were the reason.

In regards to other positions, the Jets would still have no right to make such an offer to him unless the Falcons allowed it.  Regardless of if he stepped down, he still has a contract with the Falcons, and can't simply resign and then go find himself a new team.  If actions like that were allowed, you'd see that kind of stuff happening far more often, and the supposed "blocking" ability that teams have would be made ultimately meaningless.

• Sympathy 1

3 hours ago, T0mShane said:

It was awkward. Bart kept saying, "I used to kick him in the ass" hahaha and Carlin and Maggie Gray were like, uh, that's not cool, but Bart kept interrupting to say how he used to kick an adult man in the ass. Really ****ed up. 

Especially because the fulcrum clearly wasn't physical size but rather the fact that Scott was an established and important player and Douglas was a gofer making $20,000 a year. Makes you think Bart is the kind of guy who regularly raises his voice to cashiers and waitstaff.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

12 minutes ago, dbatesman said:

Especially because the fulcrum clearly wasn't physical size but rather the fact that Scott was an established and important player and Douglas was a gofer making $20,000 a year. Makes you think Bart is the kind of guy who regularly raises his voice to cashiers and waitstaff.

A Rex guy.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2

55 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

”as discussions about this have been ongoing for some time.”

meaning his desire to leave was pre-Jets GM Job vacancy.

Or as Glazer reported during the draft, the impending firing of Macc was known for some time and feelers were put out. He may also want to backfill in Philly if we get Douglas.

Or he wants a job at NFLN replacing Jeremiah.

2 minutes ago, MasterChiefJets said:

Manish doing his best to create doubt and confusion.

This is SO EFFING stupid! What options? There won't be ones with a 22 year old QB like Darnold. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

• Teams know that when they hire and develop good people, they will move on to bigger jobs.  My guess is that the Eagles have a pipeline.  
  • If for some reason the Eagles could block Douglas, it would be a somewhat creepy move by them, and my guess is that, given the Jets presence in the largest TV market, issues with the Giants and the Jets being AFC and the Eagles NFC, the Eagles will be "persuaded" to let Douglas take this promotion.  
  • Douglas is the "most real" hire that I have seen the Jets entertain for this role, probably since Terry Bradway, who did have a pedigree.  There was also Dick Steinberg.  But Douglas looks good.
  • Pioli will never be a GM again, and he will get run out of town here.  
  • I do believe that 1+1 can equal 3.  Gase may be flawed, and Douglas may be flawed, but if they are working together on the same page, they should be able to produce a decent team.  Particularly with Darnold.  Chris realize that Gase and Mac were not going to work together productively, even if equally Gase's fault, and Mac made enough mistakes and was next up to be fired in the Johnson Cycle of Failure.  
  • Don't be surprised to see them trade Leo.  I think common sense could see a return to the Jets.  This unravels when Gase alienates the players.  Before then, I would expect a much improved product.  
  • Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

13 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

manish wants to pick his gm who will siphon him info.

This is a really terrible tweek by Manish.  He is truly evil.  What point does this serve.

I am sure you all have noticed, but when you read and listen to other teams press, they are always gung-ho/homer/very positive.  Only the Jets breed a coven of bitter, negative journalists, which is probably a reflection of its fans.  

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

And as others have said, they likely don't fire Macc midweek unless they had something in principle already drawn up with someone else.  Just give it a minute.  If the deal falls through then yes, I'll be right there with you hitting the panic button.  But everything that's being reported suggests this is likely going to be a done deal very soon. 

And meanwhile, Douglas' pedigree and resume is far better than any GM candidate we've had in at least two decades, if not ever.  

I honestly dont know where your confidence that the Jets will get this done correctly comes from.

Are we following the same team?

6 minutes ago, varjet said:

This is a really terrible tweek by Manish.  He is truly evil.  What point does this serve.

I am sure you all have noticed, but when you read and listen to other teams press, they are always gung-ho/homer/very positive.  Only the Jets breed a coven of bitter, negative journalists, which is probably a reflection of its fans.  

because their collective goal is to cover a circus so they want the right pieces to fall into place to continue to portray it as such.

1 minute ago, Augustiniak said:

because their collective goal is to cover a circus so they want the right pieces to fall into place to continue to portray it as such.

Manish is a tool.  Hopefully since Dinger is gone they find a different beat writer and Manish is covering another team.